IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters, Part 3

samurai_sarah

51 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

I don't think they do. I just don't see tv and podcasts as the same thing because I can still move around when I listen to them, I listen on my commute and when I cook or clean. (Ok, pretty much all the time. I might actually have a podcast problem)

I admit that I listen to the tv while doing lots of stuff around the house. It's probably a bad habit. 

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I admit that I listen to the tv while doing lots of stuff around the house. It's probably a bad habit. 

I don't have a tv anymore, so I can't do that anymore. I watch everything I want to see on my computer instead.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Ehh, as long as you're getting things done who cares what the background noise is? Speaking of podcasts, any fellow fans of My Favorite Murder? #ssdgm

23 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Ehh, as long as you're getting things done who cares what the background noise is? Speaking of podcasts, any fellow fans of My Favorite Murder? #ssdgm

I know I shouldn't let the TV poo pooers into my brain. I mean, everyone has some sort of screen time in their lives. If it's not tv it's your laptop/iPad/smartphone.

27 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

IMG_8764.JPG

Yes! Currently drinking out of this mug as we speak. 

his profile indicates that he was here yesterday.  i'd like to think he's just lurking around other threads and will come back here sooner or later.

1 hour ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

So, did Gabe take his toys and go on home or what?  

I don't think he liked discussing his white-washed view of history. Or his thousands of books that he apparently couldn't remember enough about to recommend a title for us to read. 

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I don't think he liked discussing his white-washed view of history. Or his thousands of books that he apparently couldn't remember enough about to recommend a title for us to read. 

I don't think it was him. How hard is it to think up a few book titles? 

18 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Or... I just don't care.

The last history book I finished is titled The Royal American Regiment a North Atlantic Microcosm.

Will you summarize and provide your opinion of it?

Dude has been in and out for weeks, dropping boring one-liners that contribute nothing to the discussion whenever it seems like people are about to stop giving him attention. Can we ignore this nobody and get back to juicy sister feud gossip?

59 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Or... I just don't care.

Well then maybe you shouldn't even consider writing a history curriculum. You dodged the questions about whitewashing, makes me think you are scared to face the truth about your view of history. 

Gabe, I particularly was looking for a title of those Christian history books you claimed were reliable. 

On 1/4/2017 at 9:17 AM, ChunkyBarbie said:

Gabe, why are you here? Are you bored?  No snark, complete sincerity. 

Why does it have me quoting myself?   

So Gabe is still hanging around here but he just doesn't care. Pull the other one, @Gabe.  You were outgunned.

Eh, I had to take a break from FJ and listened to, rather than watched, the Boyer Sisters' delightful video about their lifestyle.  It was predictably long and boring.  The high lights - or rather low lights in answer to reader questions:

•  Now Brigid is married, Jessica and Charlotte are still going to sing.  Jazz for J and opera for C.  OK then.  They are also going to have some adventures like going to visit Brigid.  It may just be me, but Brigie looks quite appalled at the thought.
  • What books they like - Charlotte, I forget.  She talks too much.  Jessica likes Gene Stratton Porter, especially Freckles and Girl of the Limberlost.  So did I when I was 12.   In the latter, I wonder how she justifies Elnora's disobedience to her mother and determination to go to evil public school.  That book also has one of the creepiest stalker scenes ever when some lumberjack climbs a tree to spy on Elnora in her bedroom.   Brigid is reading that Love Languages book.  I hope Gabe reads it too so that her love tank gets filled.
  • Education and stuff they have learned.  Charlotte yaps on endlessly about not getting "swamped" in academics and being sure to leave time for things that you like to do.  Brigie suggests doing your school work as fast as possible - unless you actually love doing it.  Imagine that.  Only people who want to be something like teachers not "creatives" like the sisters Boyer need spend time on school.
  • Most important thing Brigie has learned - trust.  She is a worrier.  Jessica definitely throws some shade at this comment.  "Uuuummm!" she says, nodding her head in agreement with Brigid being a real worrier.
  • Most important thing Jessica has learned - prayer.  She yaps on nearly as endlessly as Charlotte about how prayer got her through the incredible trauma of the last year.  Jess, it is getting old.  Just be glad you didn't actually marry the guy and please move on.  You are not the only person to have a relationship fail and, contrary to the books you read, people don't die of broken hearts.  Not even Philip in Girl of the Limberlost - and remember he cheated on his fiance when he fell for Elnora so romantic hero he wasn't.  
  • Home decor.  They will not be decorating their homes in vintage style.  Gabe and Brigid have a lot off "stuff" - I pictured a closet full of kilts!
  • Leg-humper comment, "I would love to raise my daughter the way you have been and hope she is like you three lovely girls."  The girls accept this comment as their due, so who says they aren't vain!   Charlotte gives "the Glory to God, He equipped our parents."  Brigid actually makes sense here about the commenter not forcing her daughter into wearing vintage and giving her freedom to explore her own interests.  I always thought Brigid was the brightest Boyer.  Life is more than fashion though, girls, wearable or not.
  • They don't speak any other languages although they all took French courses.  It didn't "stick."  Probably because they were too busy not getting swamped in academics to get a well-rounded education.
  • They are not going to college or do college on line.  They are always educating themselves though.
  • They would only do missions work as a family.  Father's protection and all that.
  • What they most value about homeschooling - is that they are so very secure in their conceit and misconceptions about regular schooling.  They would not "be able to do what they are doing now if they had not been able to make pipe-cleaner dolls at age 8."   News for you girls, I made pipe-cleaner dolls and did lots of arts and crafts as a kid and I thought it was educational too.  Also, what you are doing now is not exactly that super special.  Probably many public schooled people sing, sew, and blog just as well as you do.  Perhaps you should watch The Voice, Master Chef Junior, or even Project Runway Junior sometime.
  • Some stuff about dancing.  I lost concentration.
  • Gabe and Brigie were reading the psalms together as they counted down to their wedding.  Too cute.
  • Jessica is afraid of shower heads.  I don't remember the question.
  • Charlotte wants to travel and explore.  Sorry, kid.  You'll have to get out from under Daddy's umbrella of protection to do that.
  • Jessica throws more shade at Brigid for being a night owl.  Eyerolls and huffs and puffs.  Jessica likes mornings.

I listened to the music one too.  One long boring and defensive yatter about how they aren't only interested in vintage music.  The only thing I remember is that they got all confused about whether their parents liked Rock (shock) or Pop Rock.   The Boyers Senior must be right little ravers.

And, girls, as you are supposed to read here - "when" and "whenever."  Do learn how to use them correctly, even if it is a regional thing, if you want to sound educated.   When is for a unique moment.  Whenever is used for events where the timing is uncertain or for repeated events.  If in doubt, "when" is usually the safe default.  

24 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Jessica is afraid of shower heads.  I don't remember the question.

This cracked me up. I'm almost, but not quite, curious enough about the question to watch the video.

And Jessica, do yourself a favor and don't be afraid of shower heads. If you know what I mean.

29 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

This cracked me up. I'm almost, but not quite, curious enough about the question to watch the video.

And Jessica, do yourself a favor and don't be afraid of shower heads. If you know what I mean.

She won't know what you mean unless she's been following Trump scandals about golden showers. ;)

Now I think about it, the question was something about what they wished they had learned while being home schooled.  Jess wished she'd learned how to take terrifying shower heads apart.  Or something.  I was so bored by the end that I was having a hard time concentrating.  If you scoot to about 5 minutes from the end you can listen to the question.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

They would not "be able to do what they are doing now if they had not been able to make pipe-cleaner dolls at age 8.

They are so clueless. @Gabe, since you are a member and they aren't, do all of you guys really think kids in public school don't do crafts? I have mountains of crafts my daughter did in school and not just worksheet type crafts, but crafts where they gave the kids art supplies and let them use their imagination. They also had(and still have) and art teacher who taught them about various types of art medium and how to properly use them. And that doesn't even count the stuff she did at home! Forget pipe cleaner dolls at eight, by that point she was making rag dolls and her very own Miss Hickory* with clothing for the season.

It sounds like they got a shitty education which doesn't bode well for educating their own children. It also seems like they have a Raquel type attitude towards their education in that they are absolutely positive they are well educated. I would like to toss them into a college class and see how they fair. 

*that book makes me cry every single time. 

I detest it when people who have never been to a public school assume that their homeschool had all these experiences public or even private school kids never had.

What happens in public school: lots of crafts, even sewing. Pumpkin carving and Halloween parades. Plays and musicals of a scale that you simply cannot do at home. Tests to figure out what you've learned and what you haven't. Exposure to all types of literature, music and media. Sports of all types including team sports even if you only learn how much you hate them. Field trips, special events and speakers homeschoolers do not have access to. Most importantly- community, friendship and exposure to people of all races, religions, creeds, classes, sexualities and abilities. No homeschool community, even if it sets out to be purposefully diverse, is ever going to be as diverse as your average public school simply because people are drawn to people like them by nature.

also, even families that homeschool the rest of their kids may still send their special needs kids to public school because they'll get the services they need. I highly doubt any of the Boyer girls or anyone we snark on here has ever had a close friendship with someone with a developmental disability- which is a shame because, you know, we're pretty awesome. :special-snowflake1:

Thanks for the video recaps. I tried to watch but the YouTube captioning wouldn't work for me and without that it's hopeless. Seems like I didn't miss anything. 

It's just more of the same from Gabe. Snide one liners and not answering questions that are genuine. 

I thought of this thread and its thousands of books convo when I read this. 

https://www.google.com/amp/people.com/human-interest/4-year-old-who-has-read-1000-books-becomes-librarian-for-the-day-at-library-of-congress/amp/?client=safari

My son is in preschool and the amount of crafts he brings home! Oh man it's insane! He makes the craziest stuff but I love it. 

I actualy crafted a lot at home as a child when I wasn't in evil public school. You want to hear something crazy? You can still learn at home and do fun activities at home even if you don't homeschool! You just do it after school and on the weekends! Crazy right?

:pb_rollseyes:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived