IGNORED

Sierra: Loving God Into Existence Through Her Husband

choralcrusader8613

i just looked it up, @Carm_88, you're the winner!  it is indeed a squared + b squared = c squared.  C is the hypotenuse, the side opposite the right angle.  

i liked geometry; sometimes i regret not going into a field that uses it.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Sierra's defense, her kids don't need to know that right now. Hopefully she will look it up when the time comes.

I actually used that the other day! Everyone's wrong about using geometry in the real world!!!

JUST KIDDING! I was helping my little sister with her HS math hw. That stuff really is useless for most of the real world.

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

So Sierra's new totally-unlicensed & un-health-department-certified (as far as we know) business venture is "cupcakes in a jar" which I suppose is some sort of Pinteresty-food-thing.

And she charges over $40* for four cupcakes, which - much like Erika Shupe's jelly beans - you don't even get to choose the flavors of! WTF, is she insane?! Here's a link to her Etsy if anybody cares: https://www.etsy.com/listing/492996618/cupcake-in-a-jar-4-pack?ref=unav_listing-other

*Etsy automatically converts to €, so I can't see exactly how much she charges in $, but the price I'm seeing in € converts to $41. Insane.

5 minutes ago, JillyO said:

And she charges over $40* for four cupcakes, which - much like Erika Shupe's jelly beans - you don't even get to choose the flavors of! WTF, is she insane?! Here's a link to her Etsy if anybody cares: https://www.etsy.com/listing/492996618/cupcake-in-a-jar-4-pack?ref=unav_listing-other

*Etsy automatically converts to €, so I can't see exactly how much she charges in $, but the price I'm seeing in € converts to $41. Insane.

It's $40 for 4 or $50 for 6. That is absolutely insane. They should be about $5-$7 each, max.

Also I am super plain with my cake flavors (basically vanilla or nothing) so getting those other flavors would be a waste for me. Also during hte summer my city does a food truck even and I always get the cupcake in a jar and I usually spend 3-5 max, so for her to sell it for 10 each, it better come with gold or something! I could possibly justify it a little if she said she used some obscure ingredient but she doesn't list it

Um please tell me why anyone would be insane enough to pay that for cupcakes? I don't care if they're in a goldplated jar...I would much prefer to make them myself. So I wouldn't get a coffee one. Yuck! 

For that kind of money, jarcakes better be a lot more special than they sound. Sierra baffles and irritates me but my God I am jealous of her energy level. I would love to have half the energy she seems to. Although I would spend approximately none of it on any of the same things as her.

My local bakery, that has the best cupcakes I've ever tasted, charges $1.50 per cupcake. And I know they were made in a kitchen that meets health codes, not a kitchen that has 5 kids running in and out and a woman baking who has her stringy, long hair hovering over the cupcakes. 

$40 is ridiculously expensive. I'd be hard-pressed to pay 10. And how is she sealing the jars?  If shipping takes a few days, how are they not spoiling or going stale?  (The site doesn't say).  

Cute tops, but I couldn't see the cupcake. No information on size, and how is she going to make sure it doesn't arrive as crumbs. Super glued to the jar?

19 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Cute tops, but I couldn't see the cupcake. No information on size, and how is she going to make sure it doesn't arrive as crumbs. Super glued to the jar?

From what I can tell, they look like standard half-pint canning jars that cost about $8/dozen at Walmart. 

I must be out of the loop because I have never heard of a cupcake in a jar. So this is an already baked and ready-to-eat cupcake...shoved into a jar? And then mailed to someone?

Yeah...I don't get it. Why would anyone purchase these? 

I can buy ingredients for MANY cupcakes for much cheaper. Or I can go to the grocery store to get ready-to-eat cupcakes as well. They would be cheaper and fresher.

So yeah...I'm confused.

(Also, it is legal to sell food over the internet without some sort of credentials or health inspection or whatever?)

someone said on an earlier Sierra thread that credentials are required in most states, but i don't remember the details.  i'm concerned because after i began canning, i did a lot of research on how to do things safely, and the Dept of Agriculture says the only 2 safe methods are water bath and pressure, using glass jars and 2-piece lids (like she has on these).  oven-sealing used to be a thing, but the dry heat does not kill all the impurities; you need steam.  i can't imagine steaming cake.  i really hope Sierra has it together with this project; she should have summarized her preserving method on the site.  

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Food grade super glue,  though!

30 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

WTF? $40 for that? That's insane! And I'm Norwegian, do you know how expensive this country is?!?!

I do! Mr. Way and I slept in the car and couldn't afford pizza when we roadtripped across the border. That was ten years ago and we where pretty poor back then. Maybe time for a new trip. :)

I'll just save up what I was going to spend on cupcakes in a jar and we should be able to go soon. ;)

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

I do! Mr. Way and I slept in the car and couldn't afford pizza when we roadtripped across the border. That was ten years ago and we where pretty poor back then. Maybe time for a new trip. :)

I'll just save up what I was going to spend on cupcakes in a jar and we should be able to go soon. ;)

You could get at least two pizzas for the prize of these 4 cupcakes! 

I'm just saying that I could buy a lot of boxed cupcake mixes and icing and even the fancy cupcake holders for $54 CAD and that's before shipping. I don't want to think what that would cost. 

43 minutes ago, nst said:

she only ships within the US - so I can't take one for the team :D

can you imagine 

seriously gross 

Oh dear that breaks my little Canadian heart. I will just go eat...something better!

42 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Oh dear that breaks my little Canadian heart. I will just go eat...something better!

I have some of a Timmie's breakfast wrap if you want me to send it to you..

8 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

You could get at least two pizzas for the prize of these 4 cupcakes! 

What pizza do you buy? I could get 8 large ones from the pizza place down my street or 6 from domino's

ETA Whatever, i forgot the dollars to euros conversion, so it would be 6 pizzas and 3 or 4 from Domino's

48 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

What pizza do you buy? I could get 8 large ones from the pizza place down my street or 6 from domino's

ETA Whatever, i forgot the dollars to euros conversion, so it would be 6 pizzas and 3 or 4 from Domino's

$40 is around 340 NOK (norwegian kroner) and a large pizza at domino's is 179, so you can almost get two pizzas. Oh Norway. There is cheaper places, but eating out/take away is expensive here.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived