IGNORED

Sierra: Loving God Into Existence Through Her Husband

choralcrusader8613

17 minutes ago, Casserole said:

Same. For a while my tongue would feel "weird," almost numb

The issue is this semi-mild reaction happens with 5/10 foods I eat per day with no rhyme or reason.

It's really interesting you say this. I've been lucky enough to have 2 children with no allergies but my niece has to carry an epi pen with her wherever she goes. Her main food allergies are dairy, fish, nuts  ( she can't go near a sniff of nuts, so all pre-bought food has to be made in nut free factories)

My brother in law and sister in law are amazing, they rear their own cows that they have slaughtered and prepared just for them to make her mince, sausages, steaks - steak being her favourite but she's started getting a reaction to the steak but can eat the minced beef from the same animal. Her initial reaction to it has been a tingling in the mouth. 

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/1/2017 at 1:41 AM, ClaraOswin said:

I know. I wish they could figure it out. It sucks. When I was in school, I only knew a couple people with food allergies. But it's so common now. Maybe it's just something to do with evolution...ha!

The theory I've heard is that we're too clean, and our immune systems, itching for a fight, just lash out at random things like peanuts and cat dander and pollen.

I've been suffering from horrible seasonal allergies my entire life. I had to get doctors' notes to get excused from outdoor gym class in the spring when I was in school. I can't drive with the windows down from March until late May/early June. When I had a car, I had to take it to the car wash every week or wash it myself (after drugging myself up with anti-histamines) because the accumulated pollen on the car would give me a horrible reaction. And if I'm allergic to a plant's pollen (and tests revealed that I'm allergic to just about everything that propagates itself through pollen on the Eastern Seaboard), fruits from that plant give me reactions (mild ones, but they are uncomfortable and annoying). So I can't eat most raw fruits, and some raw vegetables.

Though the funny thing is that I had no allergies (besides my food allergies) when I was living in China or the UK, but when I took a trip to Vienna during my time in the UK, I was absolutely miserable anytime I was outdoors. But when I came back to London, I was perfectly fine again. So weird.

2 hours ago, dawbs said:

Yeah-it's not always simple and straightforward.
I have food allergies (diagnosed, by doctors) that do NOT result in anaphylaxis reactions.  They result in an upset stomach, a headache, throwing up, sometimes a rash, etc.
They don't even trigger my migraines.  
I don't tend to say "oh, I'm allergic to X, can't have it", because it is more medical information than I need to share.  But I never appreciate people telling me that I"m wrong, I'm not allergic, because it's not serious--I know my medical history, I know my illness(es), I'm not 'sensitive' to the food, I'm allergic to it.

Generally the only way to deal with or engage people on their health crap is to accept that they've experienced their own bodies and listen to their needs.

Agreed. For my self, I have a severe intolerance to milk protein (technically self-diagnosed because there is no evidence-based test to diagnosis it; just elimination diet and food challenge). Consuming dairy won't kill me, but even trace amounts will cause my stomach to swell up like a balloon for days and cause heart palpitations. It's easier all around to call it an allergy, lest someone brushes it off as I might just get a little gas and a case of the poopies. No sane person would willingly subject themselves to never again tasting the savory, melty goodness of pizza and grilled cheese :(

25 minutes ago, Darwinesque said:

It's really interesting you say this. I've been lucky enough to have 2 children with no allergies but my niece has to carry an epi pen with her wherever she goes. Her main food allergies are dairy, fish, nuts  ( she can't go near a sniff of nuts, so all pre-bought food has to be made in nut free factories)

My brother in law and sister in law are amazing, they rear their own cows that they have slaughtered and prepared just for them to make her mince, sausages, steaks - steak being her favourite but she's started getting a reaction to the steak but can eat the minced beef from the same animal. Her initial reaction to it has been a tingling in the mouth. 

It's so perplexing. The only thing I can think of is different preparations? If the steak is rare and the minced is cooked through that could be it? - the structure of the protein changes when cooked. 

I've had allergy testing done four(?) times and every time, while there are definite allergies, the results varied comparatively. I know for me, at least with produce, there is a definite link with non-organic, pesticide, GMO food. I will need benadryl at minimum if I eat a non-organic apple, but have no problems with an organic apple washed the same way. So for me, there clearly is a pesticide/chemical/something link. (Which I think is a HUGE culprit in our society's jump in food allergy rates.) I also can't make sense of the fact that I am allergic to some tree nuts, but not all, and am extremely allergic to mangoes but don't really react to poison ivy/oak (mango and poison ivy are in the same family somehow) and opposite of that I can eat peaches just fine but absolutely cannot eat almonds (also in the same family) 

Joining in with the allergy talk. For eleven years and two months I dealt with nasty bouts of voimiting. Four sets of doctors no solid diagnosis. So on a random hunch I did an allergy test through a doctor.

I discovered that I was allergic to almost everything. Tree nuts, peanuts, shrimp, strawberries, wheat, chicken, cod was a blurring line between being allergic or not, and another ten plus things that easy to consume day to day. Wheat and chicken was things me and my husband were eating everyday so now my diet is reduce to maybe chicken once every couple of months. While wheat because it's near impossible to cut out on the cheap side is just left to the weekend. The other items were lucky things that I ate maybe once or twice a year. It also turned out to a good solid excuse for never eating peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. I also have intolence towards pork if it isn't cured. But I only exhibited vomiting and likely itchy skin that seemed more correlated to new beauty products.

As for the study on our environments being too clean. I seen that before and I think its likely true. Especially since we are seeing a rise in allergies with kids. 

I often wonder about the too clean thing. I remember when my nephew was a baby...they would disinfect his toys and stuff constantly. Used a lot of antibacterial stuff and whatnot. Two of their children have many severe food allergies. Maybe it's related but who knows.

I mean, my son has a peanut allergy and we are nowhere near as clean. I'm a horrible "housekeeper." We pretty much never disinfect his toys. He's eaten plenty of food off the floor. We don't use antibacterial soap. But I suppose it still could be a factor since we, as a society, are just cleaner.

I feel like a lot of people in my generation seem to get diagnosed with autoimmune diseases in the last few years. Maybe it's always been somewhat common for 30-something year olds. But to me it just seems strange how many of my friends (and myself) have been diagnosed recently. I just wonder if the cleanliness is a factor here too. (Or maybe overuse of antibiotics? I know my mom gave them to me every time I had a sore throat or anything growing up.)

for it being a thing now that didn't exist years ago...
There's also a theory that the kids w/ them just died without the diagnosis.

Anaphalaxis looks a helluva lot like chokeg after .  Historically, the numbers of kids dead by choking has been fairly high, and it's reasonable to assume that the autopsies wouldn't have differentiated.
Of *course* I cant find the report I was looking for on it at the moment, but I didn't just make it up wholecloth :)

Did anyone happen to catch Sierra's live Instagram video last night? I "missed" it. Just wondered if she said anything snark-worthy.

22 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I hope Joy doesn't get those ugly-ass Oreo ring pops at her bridal shower.

I am convinced they will see the ugly pops as a badge of honor because they were made by a godly Christian woman like Sierra. I am currently co-planning a bridal shower with a friend. Yes things are expensive, but our makn concern involves making sure this is a happy occasion for the Bride-to-be. No way would those ring pops be at the shower. I would be embarrassed to put them out. I am starting to believe that tackiness is a tenet of fundies. 

I haven't seen Sierra's cake pop video, but I assume it's in the vein of how she makes her other desserts.

Joy better get someone else for her wedding because I would feel exhausted just being around Sierra.

6 hours ago, dawbs said:

Yeah-it's not always simple and straightforward.
I have food allergies (diagnosed, by doctors) that do NOT result in anaphylaxis reactions.  They result in an upset stomach, a headache, throwing up, sometimes a rash, etc.
They don't even trigger my migraines.  
I don't tend to say "oh, I'm allergic to X, can't have it", because it is more medical information than I need to share.  But I never appreciate people telling me that I"m wrong, I'm not allergic, because it's not serious--I know my medical history, I know my illness(es), I'm not 'sensitive' to the food, I'm allergic to it.

Generally the only way to deal with or engage people on their health crap is to accept that they've experienced their own bodies and listen to their needs.

Oh man, I can't like this enough. I have the exact same thing to a few foods that seem to be pretty uncommon, allergy-wise. At least, I don't know anyone else with these allergies. And, since one of them is agave (meaning no tequila for me), I constantly get people rolling their eyes or making comments about how I must have just overdone it the last time I had margaritas or something. It always amazes me how opinionated people can be about other peoples' medical histories! 

Long story short, you're totally right, and I get so offended whenever I get someone telling me my diagnosed allergies aren't allergies because my negative reactions don't fit into the mold of what negative reactions are acceptable, or whatever. I too have gotten sick from that kind of attitude (when people don't take it seriously or think that my reaction won't be so bad) and it sucks.

Sierra acts like she really made those ugly-ass pops.  All she did was coat Oreos with chocolate, stick a Hershey's kiss one top, and sprinkle that glittery stuff.  I almost watched her live last night but came to my senses and passed. I thought about her saying how her love for her husband would prove the existence of God.  Where does she even get a stupid idea like that from?

I get migraines from artificial sweeteners, I have since I was a kid... Splenda is the worst, adds stomach aches, etc. on top of that.  General seasonal allergies that have never been tested, and I can never find the right cocktail of meds to work, so i just suffer for a couple of weeks a few times a year.

My son though, man... He had a dairy allergy as baby/toddler, outgrew it when he was about 4. He couldn't have so much as casein baked into a cracker. Rashes, eczema, hives, constipation, diarrhea, the reactions changed over the years. He's 9 now, and it's sort of a mild lactose intolerance at this point. He's mostly ok, but if he overdoes it, he spends more time in the bathroom, lol. His seasonal allergies are terrible too. He was started on meds at about 4 months old, and has been through various different cocktails as he acclimated to them and they quit working. right now, its Flonase and Claratin. He had an overexposure reaction to cinnamon when he was 2, after we made cinnamon ornaments at Christmas.  He started getting hives every  time he had cinnamon after that. I cut it out for about 6 months, and he was ok again.

Now we avoid artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, and a few other things (Feingold diet) to help with his ADHD. The dyes are one of his main problems. 

My sister teases me, because he nursed til he was almost 3... She says, "if breastfeeding is supposed to help allergies, imagine if you would have formula fed!"

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

I am convinced they will see the ugly pops as a badge of honor because they were made by a godly Christian woman like Sierra. I am currently co-planning a bridal shower with a friend. Yes things are expensive, but our makn concern involves making sure this is a happy occasion for the Bride-to-be. No way would those ring pops be at the shower. I would be embarrassed to put them out. I am starting to believe that tackiness is a tenet of fundies. 

This riiiight here. 

I think we need to start Tacky Tenet Tracking. 

Re Food allergies: I'm allergic to Fish (but not 100% sure with shellfish, regardless I just don't eat it). But I don't go into shock either, just a lot of puking and not feeling well. I haven't had a reaction sine my first cause I've been (as well as my family) been really on top of it. My sister on the other hand has a nuts allergy but it's induced by exercise which we didn't know was a thing.

@socalrules yes yes yes absolutely about fundies being tackyy! Like it's just an important criteria for them. I

5 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I often wonder about the too clean thing. I remember when my nephew was a baby...they would disinfect his toys and stuff constantly. Used a lot of antibacterial stuff and whatnot. Two of their children have many severe food allergies. Maybe it's related but who knows.

I mean, my son has a peanut allergy and we are nowhere near as clean. I'm a horrible "housekeeper." We pretty much never disinfect his toys. He's eaten plenty of food off the floor. We don't use antibacterial soap. But I suppose it still could be a factor since we, as a society, are just cleaner.

I feel like a lot of people in my generation seem to get diagnosed with autoimmune diseases in the last few years. Maybe it's always been somewhat common for 30-something year olds. But to me it just seems strange how many of my friends (and myself) have been diagnosed recently. I just wonder if the cleanliness is a factor here too. (Or maybe overuse of antibiotics? I know my mom gave them to me every time I had a sore throat or anything growing up.)

It's not so much about cleaning, but exposure.  So while having an overly clean environment is one way to reduce exposure to all kinds of things (pet dander, pollen, etc.), it's not the only way.  There was a study where kids who were at higher risk of developing a peanut allergy were either in a group where parents were asked to feed the child peanut products 3 times a week and another where parents were told to avoid all peanut products.  The group where the children avoided peanuts were more likely to develop an allergy compared to the other group.  It doesn't work 100% of the time, but it does seem to have an effect.  I think as a society we're still trying to find the right balance between so dirty that diseases are easily spread and so clean we have a hard time developing an immune system.  It does seem we're getting closer.

7 hours ago, Denim Jumper said:

Agreed. For my self, I have a severe intolerance to milk protein (technically self-diagnosed because there is no evidence-based test to diagnosis it; just elimination diet and food challenge). Consuming dairy won't kill me, but even trace amounts will cause my stomach to swell up like a balloon for days and cause heart palpitations. It's easier all around to call it an allergy, lest someone brushes it off as I might just get a little gas and a case of the poopies. No sane person would willingly subject themselves to never again tasting the savory, melty goodness of pizza and grilled cheese :(

I have a "sensetivity" to soy.  After 2 hours of eating it, I  spend a lot of time counting the squares of tile in the bathroom or reciting multiplication tables.  My kids, grandkids and hubby know of this and read the labels to let me know if I can or cannot have the product.  I also make sure the hospital knows about it, however I sometimes think the hospital is trying to kill me with Ensure, soybean oil salad dressings and margerine thats made mostly of soy.  Told hubby to sue the pants off the hospital if I die from consuming soy that they have given to me.

6 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I think it is a bit of both, plus GMO foods (which have been around for years they just didn't have a fancy name), evolution from our obsession with germ elimination. And some of it is just genetic, and or (bad) luck of the draw. As we sanitize everything  our home and everything in them to our shopping carts and seats we put our asses on, we come home and slather up in hand sanitizer, and spray hour homes and offices and classrooms down with Lysol. Add to that antibiotics in our foods, the odd chemicals in our overly processed foods, our bodies are attacking themselves, I imagine in then next century or so we will evolve enough that food allergies will wane again. 

I've already thought of a job for Sierra for Joy's wedding.  Bride and Groom decorated strawberries.  Get started Sierra! 

ddbfffe9a9a72b7ca38b8149617cc9ee.jpg

4 hours ago, ToriT said:

Sierra acts like she really made those ugly-ass pops.  All she did was coat Oreos with chocolate, stick a Hershey's kiss one top, and sprinkle that glittery stuff.  I almost watched her live last night but came to my senses and passed. I thought about her saying how her love for her husband would prove the existence of God.  Where does she even get a stupid idea like that from?

I still don't understand how her love for her husband proves God's existence, but maybe if she puts that phrase on her Instagram 20 more times, I will.

As for the pops, I mean, I like to make cake/cookie truffles for my friends' parties and birthdays because they're easy to make (crumble up baked good, dip in melted chocolate, let them set) and easy to transport (unlike pies and cakes and certain types of cookies), but I'm not going to act like I'm Mary Freaking Berry for making my ugly-yet-extremely-tasty lumps of sugar and chocolate.

On 12/23/2016 at 0:46 PM, halcionne said:

I finally watched this movie in order to judge the context and intent for myself. Needless to say, it's a product of its time, 1949.

Here is the set up. Two grown sisters, one sensible and the other sex-crazed. The Central "South American" water polo team is in town and hot to trot sister Betty wants to, ahem, score. Mature and successful fashion swimsuit designer Eve tries to rein her in. In a case of mistaken identity, Betty starts dating a man she thinks is named Jose O'Rourke. Eve tracks down the real Jose and demands that he not date Betty, but of course he doesn't know what she's talking about. Being a casanova, he makes a deal with Eve: he won't date her sister if Eve herself will go out with him.

Eve grudgingly accepts; meanwhile, Betty goes on a date with "Jose." Here's where Baby, it's cold outside comes in.

As Jose and Eve's date is winding down, we get the "I really can't stay" "but baby it's cold outside" spiel. She is the sensible sister, after all, and I definitely picked up some ambivalence in her delivery and choreography. And he does pressure her in a good natured way, if that's possible. But worrying her parents and family should be a nonissue, because there wasn't any implication in the movie that she lives at home, or even keeps in touch with her parents. So is she making excuses, or am I wrong to assume she lives on her own?

What's especially strange to me is that the weather had been fine on their date, and Jose had said it was summer immediately before the song started. More evidence that it's all a pretext to protect her reputation, or just sloppy writing? 

The best part, and what I never knew, is that the second half of the song is performed by Betty and "Jose," and Betty is the aggressor. Exact same lyrics, with a few tweaks for gender. I thoroughly enjoyed this rendition and it would be fun to hear a modern version with the roles reversed. 

I'm actually still on the fence about the song overall, because it's not really okay to pressure anyone, regardless of gender, and it's also not okay for society to judge a woman for where she spends the night. I guess I'm just glad things have changed so much since 1949.

Here's the original version of the song, taken from the movie.

About ten years ago my NOW 35 year old daughter sang and knew all the words to this song...where does that come from? :pb_eek:

I commented on Sierra's photo point blank, asking if Joy and Austin are engaged. I doubt she'll reply, or she'll delete my comment, but it's worth trying Lol.

3 hours ago, Natalie22 said:

It's not so much about cleaning, but exposure.  So while having an overly clean environment is one way to reduce exposure to all kinds of things (pet dander, pollen, etc.), it's not the only way.  There was a study where kids who were at higher risk of developing a peanut allergy were either in a group where parents were asked to feed the child peanut products 3 times a week and another where parents were told to avoid all peanut products.  The group where the children avoided peanuts were more likely to develop an allergy compared to the other group.  It doesn't work 100% of the time, but it does seem to have an effect.  I think as a society we're still trying to find the right balance between so dirty that diseases are easily spread and so clean we have a hard time developing an immune system.  It does seem we're getting closer.

Yeah, for a while they were telling people to wait to introduce peanut butter. We waited just because of the allergy being present in other relatives. And he seemed fine the few times were got him to eat small amounts. But he always had an aversion and obviously I wasn't going to force feed him. So he basically seemed to develop the allergy over the past couple years. Kind of sucks and I am hoping when he is a bit older we may be able to desensitize him at the allergist or something.

1 hour ago, paulypepper said:

About ten years ago my NOW 35 year old daughter sang and knew all the words to this song...where does that come from? :pb_eek:

Well it was in the movie Elf, which came out in 2003/2004.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived