IGNORED

Jill, Derick, Israel and Santa- Part 22

samurai_sarah

56 minutes ago, JillyO said:

My mother ALWAYS calls me by the dog's name, and the dog by my name. And she wonders why neither of us listen to her. :pb_lol:

I feel your pain. I'm an only child, and I was often called by our dog's name. His name was Igor. :fubar:

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My mother ALWAYS calls me by the dog's name, and the dog by my name. And she wonders why neither of us listen to her. :pb_lol:

Mine too. Sometimes she catches herself midway and corrects, so its a mashup like "Jerick" or "Binessa," but usually i just get called the dogs name. My favorite is when she asks if I (under the dog's name) want to walk or feed the dog (under my name). I know she doesn't do it on purpose but the frequency is a little jarring. Lol

My brother and I both have names starting with M, so MadreOfMela would forever get us confused - "Mat--err, ah, Mela, I mean" - often enough that when she was mad we both went by the name "Goddammit-whatever-your-name-is!" 

38 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Part I put in bold above....

From the way they talked in that video, there have been no scans. Probably no blood work either. They seem to do minimal prenatal care, based on what they have said in the past. In my opinion - it's highly irresponsible...especially for people who are supposedly "pro-life." I am not saying someone needs to do every scan and whatnot in books (I skipped some during my pregnancy.) But they skip things that could really make a difference for the health and safety of baby and mother.

I could see them explaining this away by saying, we are giving birth to the child regardless so why do any sort of tests or scans, and while on the surface they may think that makes them sound holy, in reality they just sound stupid. It's important to stay in the know. And if their child did have some sort of health issue, they could use the pregnancy to get ready. But that of course requires logic.

31 minutes ago, Season of life... said:

I feel your pain. I'm an only child, and I was often called by our dog's name. His name was Igor. :fubar:

Same. My parents gave themselves a hard time by naming our first dog Missy (my name also starts with an M). They didn't learn, apparently, because their current dog's name is Maggie. :tw_face_dog:

14 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

I could see them explaining this away by saying, we are giving birth to the child regardless so why do any sort of tests or scans, and while on the surface they may think that makes them sound holy, in reality they just sound stupid. It's important to stay in the know. And if their child did have some sort of health issue, they could use the pregnancy to get ready. But that of course requires logic.

I'm sure that's exactly why they do it. "We would never MURDER our child so we don't need any scans."  They are so freaking dumb. There are so many things that can be done while the baby is still in utero that can help it. And if there is a major issue, it would be smart to know beforehand so you could give birth in a good hospital with a NICU and all that. They are so blind to reality. But it's not surprising.

I've said it before; it'll probably take somebody ending up dead before they change the way they do prenatal care and birthing. I certainly don't want anyone to die but some people don't learn unless it involves a money or death/near death.

Given all the complications she faced with Izzy I would hope it was enough to make her extra cautious this time around, but like others have said I'm not optimistic. I think we've also discussed before that it may have to do with expenses and lack of health insurance, but what better way to put that sweet sweet TLC money to use than to make sure each new blessing has a happy healthy arrival? 

30 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

People who are willfully uneducated, often make less than logical decisions.

44 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

yeah, but they don't always do NT scans this early and for young moms (didnt' get one with my first at 30), and she's still early in the pregnancy, so she's not too far out of line right now...now past 20 weeks, then we can talk.

41 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

With these beliefs, the Duggars make me shake my head harder than any other Fundie family. First of all, they do have TLC money. Secondly, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall Michelle having health problems when pregnant with Josie (preeclampsia, I believe it was) that forced Josie to be delivered early and could have killed both Michelle and Josie. If my mom had a pregnancy like this, I would insist on calling a doctor as soon as I knew I was pregnant, to schedule an appointment.

21 minutes ago, emscm said:

Given all the complications she faced with Izzy I would hope it was enough to make her extra cautious this time around, but like others have said I'm not optimistic. I think we've also discussed before that it may have to do with expenses and lack of health insurance, but what better way to put that sweet sweet TLC money to use than to make sure each new blessing has a happy healthy arrival? 

The thing is, she probably had heath insurance through Dumb during Izzy's birth. Now they probably don't because I doubt they'd purchase Obamacare (because GASP! OBAMA!)

26 minutes ago, karen77 said:

yeah, but they don't always do NT scans this early and for young moms (didnt' get one with my first at 30), and she's still early in the pregnancy, so she's not too far out of line right now...now past 20 weeks, then we can talk.

Are NT scans a standard part of care now? I thought it was more of an 'extra' thing if people wanted they could do. I opted not to during my pregnancy (almost 4 years ago) because it was my understanding that anything important would likely be found at the 20 week ultrasound anyway. Also the NT scans often give false negatives and positives....which knowing my personality would just give me unnecessary stress. My doctor basically said if I wasn't willing to do an amniocentesis then there probably wasn't much point to the NT scan.

9 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

Meh.

How long is this going to warrant a TV show? All it's ever going to be is: courtship, engagement, wedding, babies, babies, babies, babies, girl learns to cook/look up adoringly at headship, headship says something stupid, babies, courtship, babies, engagement, babies, another headship says something stupid, wedding, babies, babies, babies, babies, someone gets sent to indoctrination camp and has head shaved, courtship, engagement, wedding, babies, babies, babies, homeschooling, modesty, another headship says something stupid, babies, babies, babies.....................

YAWN.

You just described content for like 30 seasons. :)

14 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Are NT scans a standard part of care now? I thought it was more of an 'extra' thing if people wanted they could do. I opted not to during my pregnancy (almost 4 years ago) because it was my understanding that anything important would likely be found at the 20 week ultrasound anyway. Also the NT scans often give false negatives and positives....which knowing my personality would just give me unnecessary stress. My doctor basically said if I wasn't willing to do an amniocentesis then there probably wasn't much point to the NT scan.

They arent standard for most people her age, but considering the international travel and prior issues it would be recommended (atleast by my OB's checklist).   I'm 31 weeks right now with a baby boy who had some scary findings on his NT scan.  I was told to terminate but decided to go through with testing and roll the dice.  It doesnt matter that they wouldnt terminate based on the findings, its irresponsible because there are things that can be done to mitigate issues and even save the fetus if identified.  Of course, there are lots of things that cannot be helped, but how can you be "pro life" and skip scans that can actually preserve what you hold so dear?

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

They arent standard for most people her age, but considering the international travel and prior issues it would be recommended (atleast by my OB's checklist).   I'm 31 weeks right now with a baby boy who had some scary findings on his NT scan.  I was told to terminate but decided to go through with testing and roll the dice.  It doesnt matter that they wouldnt terminate based on the findings, its irresponsible because there are things that can be done to mitigate issues and even save the fetus if identified.  Of course, there are lots of things that cannot be helped, but how can you be "pro life" and skip scans that can actually preserve what you hold so dear?

But my question is...does the NT scan catch things that wouldn't be seen at the standard 20 week anatomy scan? Maybe I misunderstood 3 years ago but I thought it didn't tell anything extra. It just told you things slightly earlier. And it was often wrong. And typically just led to more testing like an amniocentesis. 

Hah! My mother used to get my name right, but after I left for college, and wasn't around every day, when she did see me, she'd call me by my sister's or sister in law's name, HER sister in law's name, her stepmother's name, or the cat. 

4 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

But my question is...does the NT scan catch things that wouldn't be seen at the standard 20 week anatomy scan? Maybe I misunderstood 3 years ago but I thought it didn't tell anything extra. It just told you things slightly earlier. And it was often wrong. And typically just led to more testing like an amniocentesis. 

The NT scan is done around 10 or 11 weeks IIRC.  If it looks suspicious a CVS test can be performed at around that same time.  If there's confirmation of a condition like Down's Syndrome then some people would choose to terminate.  That decision could be made 8 or 10 weeks sooner than waiting for an amnio.

If Derick had a shred of self-awareness, he'd feel like a huge doink for tweeting how pregnancy "isn't about your body" while witnessing the effects of Jill's pregnancy on...whose body?...HER OWN. Girlfriend literally just recovered from her c-section and she suffers horrible morning sickness! Pregnancy is very much an embodied thing!

9 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

It can.  My baby had a septated cystic hygroma at his NT scan.  It resolved by 18 weeks (as cystic hygromas tend to do).  The underlying cause is still unknown, and we were lucky that he has come back clean on all his genetic and structural testing, but that is very rare.  Even with everything looking OK I'm still "high risk" and they've done a lot of intervention to ensure that he has every chance of a healthy pregnancy and live birth.  We still have frequent appointments and scans to watch him so they can intervene if necessary. 

Re: calling kids by others names, dogs name-I'm an only child so the only experience I get with this is when I get to visit my extended family-but two of my aunts do this with my cousin, Denise(Dennie) and me(Dani) and doesn't help when they do the Southern add a middle name thing either;she's Elizabeth and mine is similar with an I. They end up saying you with the red hair sometimes(LOL)-I'm the only ginger. 

My own kids have been called by the cats names though. At one time due to kittening, I had more cats than kids, even with DN added in...

29 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

The NT scan is done around 10 or 11 weeks IIRC.  If it looks suspicious a CVS test can be performed at around that same time.  If there's confirmation of a condition like Down's Syndrome then some people would choose to terminate.  That decision could be made 8 or 10 weeks sooner than waiting for an amnio.

But if you are the type of person who would NOT terminate for any medical reason...I am just not seeing the purpose of the NT scan, I guess.

24 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

It can.  My baby had a septated cystic hygroma at his NT scan.  It resolved by 18 weeks (as cystic hygromas tend to do).  The underlying cause is still unknown, and we were lucky that he has come back clean on all his genetic and structural testing, but that is very rare.  Even with everything looking OK I'm still "high risk" and they've done a lot of intervention to ensure that he has every chance of a healthy pregnancy and live birth.  We still have frequent appointments and scans to watch him so they can intervene if necessary. 

But other than testing and monitoring...is there anything that you, your doctors, etc. could do that early in a pregnancy that would help the baby? I know for some conditions later on in pregnancy, surgeries and things can actually be performed on the baby before it's born. But THAT early in a pregnancy...with things that could be seen on an NT, is there truly any difference in care besides additional screening? I am 99.99999% sure I am done having children. But I am still interested in these types of things. I was just reading about NT scans and it still seems like they aren't very definitive. And they don't really alter care or whatever like when something severe is caught on the 20 week ultrasound.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived