IGNORED

Michael and Brandon Keilen- Part 2

samurai_sarah

So I looked up to see since I remember it being a huge deal and the couple who started the Taggie company going after anyone who infringed on their patent. 

Here is a thread from 2008 on etsy about it.

https://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/5473682/page/1

Apparently they did get a patent on pretty much anything with tags, because they sold tons of Taggie items. 

Found this more recent thread and the patent has been sold, but the company who bought it is still sending letters out when it comes to their attention that someone is selling taggie items. At this point there are so many people who do it, keeping up people selling taggie items would be a full time job. 

https://www.etsy.com/teams/5002/etsy-success/discuss/15037997/page/1

For some reason out of all the drama of mother/cloth diaper boards, the issue of the Taggie patent has always stuck in my mind.I didn't know you could patent adding tags to things. 

Micheal should probably be careful with adding tags.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Probably all she'll get is a cease and desist letter if they notice.  It seems rather ridiculous that tags can be patented.

It reminds me of this drama with McDonalds.  I have no idea who won!

Brave Hearts Fight Big Mac Attack

FENNY STRATFORD, England — Ronald McDonald--not the corporate clown, but a Scot of that name--is hopping mad.

Another Scot, Lord Godfrey James Macdonald of Macdonald, the head of the Scottish clan that embraces all spellings of the name, has issued a call to arms.

They are rallying in support of Mary Blair, a fellow Scot, who is being threatened with a lawsuit by McDonald's Restaurants Ltd., the British arm of the Oak Brook-based hamburger chain, unless she stops calling her Fenny Stratford sandwich shop McMunchies.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-02-02/news/9702020275_1_ronald-mcdonald-mcdonald-s-restaurants-scot

11 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

It seems rather ridiculous that tags can be patented.

I always thought that too. Haven't people been sticking tags on baby stuff forever? How can you even patent that? 

This and the McDonald's thing reminds me of Taylor Swift trying to trademark "blank space". and 1989. 

13 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

This and the McDonald's thing reminds me of Taylor Swift trying to trademark "blank space". and 1989. 

And Paris Hilton tried to trademark "That's hot!"

Ridiculous.

Her store is offline.  I wonder if she got a cease and desist letter.  Someone got a patent for sewing tags on blankets?

H. to the F to the S!  Someone actually got a patent for that bullshit.

https://www.google.com/patents/USRE38782

I would have never thought in a million years (and I got the highest grade in Intellectual Property class in law school) that that crap would merit patent protection.  They must have had great representation.

I made one of those for GD 3 years ago...didn't sell it for profit or anything.

Not a mom and have never been around many babies- what exactly is the patent? Is there a use of these tags that really warrants it?

ETA: Just read the patent:

The tags function as a means for providing sensory stimulation for children via the children's passive (ocular) or active (tactile) interaction with the pillow or blanket.

I still don't understand why a little bit of extra fabric at the end of a small blanket requires a warrant or really that much attention. Am I missing something?

10 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Her store is offline.  I wonder if she got a cease and desist letter.  Someone got a patent for sewing tags on blankets?

That's how it's been showing up for me whenever she's out of items (basically all the time)

21 hours ago, formergothardite said:

For some reason out of all the drama of mother/cloth diaper boards, the issue of the Taggie patent has always stuck in my mind.I didn't know you could patent adding tags to things. 

I wonder if she could make her sets and quote a price but adding when you buy the set she will gift you with whatever the item is with tags? Not selling but still you get it. Just wondering.

It would be really sad if a fundie for once put real hard work into crafting their product and even charged a reasonable price and then got sued for patent infringement, wouldn't it? Why can't there be a patent on cupcakes in jars or hand-dipped strawberries? 

I hope for Michael, because she's one of only a handful of fundies who show that they work diligently and appear to really live up to the concept of being 'modest', that her store is just out of stock or there's some minor tech issue and that she hasn't been contacted by a lawyer going after her for sewing tags on a blanket. 

Seriously. :pb_rollseyes:

She said she thought she should go to the doctor to see if there are complications.

Brandon said they should leave it in God's hands.

11 minutes ago, melon said:

She said she thought she should go to the doctor to see if there are complications.

Uh oh. That doesn't sound good. :pb_neutral: I hope Brandon doesn't prevent her from consulting with a doctor if she feels that's the next step. Maybe they should look into adoption...if nothing else, it would keep Michael hopeful and preoccupied until she gets pregnant.

I knew you weren't supposed to use the word "taggie" just like you aren't supposed to use the word "onesie" but I didn't know the patent was specifically for the tags. I have never tried to sell my own version of either though or I might have been better informed. :) 

I am suprised the two of them would show they are not on the same page on the issue of seeking medical attention. Also it highlights how she can't make a decision with her own body. She can't say I want to get checked out and it is my body and my decision. To do so would cause relationship problems, but then again by not doing so I imagine other problems are caused within the relationship.

I think Michael should see a doctor. The exam could point to a condition that affects her overall health. Same goes for Brandon.

4 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I think Michael should see a doctor. The exam could point to a condition that affects her overall health. Same goes for Brandon.

That's exactly what I was thinking. 'Leaving it up to God' is fine, but wouldn't you want to know if there's an underlying cause? If she has PCOS or something like that it's important to find out so that she can start managing and treating it, whether she wants children or not.

Sounds like Branoin is ok with not having Eleventy! Kids!  I'll bet they seek medical help..... eventually.

I agree wiith @QuiverDance - I'm sure he'll want children, but not a whole football teams' worth. So he'll decide when they can look into medical help when it suits HIM and HIS wants and HIS desires.

@melonThat's not how I remember that discussion.  I think she said that they had to wait a full year before going to the doctor and he said something about hopefully god is not saying no, just saying no for now.  I don't think he refused to see a doctor.

So Michael is having to babysit a young sibling again? What is the occasion this time?  Is it time for Gil to attend another Gothard board meeting in Chicago?

Michael seems to have such a bond with the younger children.

Kelly said as Michael was preparing to leave..just before her wedding,that she(Michael) always was Callie's favorite.

Just now, melon said:

Michael seems to have such a bond with the younger children.

Kelly said as Michael was preparing to leave..just before her wedding,that she(Michael) always was Callie's favorite.

That may be true. But it kinda sucks that she married, moved 100s of miles away, is making some money from her own sewing talents, and still has to babysit her younger siblings on a pretty regular basis.

Yeah, Kelly should be able to take care of her own children, never mind sending them to Michael every chance that she gets. No doubt Callie loves Michael but that too is Kelly's fault. If Kelly had raised her own children, Callie wouldn't have been so very distressed when Michael married and left. She would have been sad, no doubt about that, but it wouldn't have been as bad. 

I just feel bad for Michael when I see her post photos of herself and her nieces/nephews/the other siblings she used to watch. It must feel very strange to see all your younger sisters having their own kids when you're struggling.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived