IGNORED

Another Duggar Courting - Joy and Austin, Part 2

Destiny

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Austin will be a rebel, but I doubt it.  Honestly the one SIL so far that seems to have some potential to lead his wife out of the cult might be Ben, and ironically he is married to the one daughter that I think has no interest in leaving the cult. 

Ben, is going to college, and  getting to know some 'uncoventional' people by Duggar standards and doesn't seem to follow the cult family line, when it comes to politics to some degree.  And he doesn't seem as if he would have cared at all if Jessa decided to loosen up on the dress code, or even work part time.  

But sadly Jessa seems very stunted to me.  I don't see her having any interest at all in expanding her horizons, and with 2 babies she is definitely not going to move away from the TTH cause she needs their help with her kids. 

And aren't Chad Paine's parents pretty die hard gothardists?  And Chad seems very sweet and gentle.  I think he would have even been ok if his wife wanted to wear pants, or work.  Maybe Austin will be like that?  And on their website they show pictures of women wearing shorts so maybe they are less restrictive on the clothing.   And, they may have been playing up the strict stuff just to be on TV?  Fundies seem to love to be on TV.  I guess they missed the lesson on staying humble, in their Sunday School class.

Here's what I wonder - given that Joy was wearing her Austin-Texas-heart necklace a few months back, when those Counting On episodes were filmed where she was eye-rolling about Jinger's inability to do anything because she was engaged, and saying things like "maybe when it's my turn, I'll be just as bad" etc, was it really good Fundy snark? 

From the screenshots, pics and recaps of the wedding episode (which I haven't seen, so obvs am 3rd handing here) it seems like Joy was so over the whole thing...  was that because she was watching Jinger go to pieces, and she had to take on Jinger's jurisdictions, while also being in a pre-courtship?

I know, I know, I'm speculating - but it is interesting, re-reading the "wilderness adventure trip" from CO, and the bits about Joy, in this new light.

39 minutes ago, defraudedbychipendales said:

Do we have a copy?

I haven't seen a copy but the girls mentioned it in one of the from the couch episodes. They didn't seem to be bullshitting us.

Joy looks so awkward in this video with her parents, like she was almost cringing herself, and didn't want to be there. I was cringing looking at it. Someone else mentioned that she never looks at Michelle in the vid. It's true, even as Michelle is waffling on ( I had it on mute, can't bear that voice) instead of looking at her Mum, she is looking at JB and nodding her head as if it is him who is talking. Perhaps that is simply a fundie headship thing but it looked weird to have her back to her Mum almost as  she talked.

I did watch World's Strictest Parents ages ago, but it was the UK version and I am assuming Austin and his family were in the US version. The participation in this show is a worry, and doesn't bode well for Joy. But I really hope I am wrong on this. I have a sweet spot for Joy. 

Only kinda positive thing about it is the fact they have known each other a long time, and at least won't be practically marrying an unknown like her sisters. I was watching a show called Married at First Sight recently. A really weird ass show but oddly fascinating. It did remind me of the Duggars and their approach to marriage. Ok, they aren't meeting for first time at the altar like on the show, but for all the really and truly know and understand their finance they might as well. 

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I just hope she follow Jinger's example and wears shoes. ;) 

She won't Joy is the MAIN j'slave that goes without shoes. Its always irked me 

@Imaginary_Wonderland, please remember that the awkward courting video is of Joy and her birth parents. Jill was her real Mom.

I'm not snarking on adoptive families and people who have given their child up for adoption. I am snarking on someone who gives birth, then cares for the child for six months, then hands him/her off to an older sister to raise.

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That seems pretty normal for a teen boy. From what I've been told, that body part will stand at attention for a stiff breeze. And I wouldn't want my pants tent on national tv. 

Remember the Mel Brooks movie that had a scene with a bunch of movie honchos sitting around a table?  Someone unrolled a big picture of a new starlet, and suddenly the table rose a few inches?  I was watching that in a theater with my sister, and we were the only ones there who laughed like fools. 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:21 PM, PiecesofmyHeart said:

Jeremy is Eye-talian.  :my_blush:

Does anyone else think that Jing having one African-American and one Asian bridesmaid was a total TLC thing?

1 hour ago, trustworthy said:

Does anyone else think that Jing having one African-American and one Asian bridesmaid was a total TLC thing?

Jennifer Hartono is a longtime family friend of the Duggars. Doubtful either of them are ringers.

Joy's face was interesting, she could barely conceal her disdain for her parents. It still doesn't explain why she is rushing into a marriage with a family that is potentially worse than the Maxhells.

I just cannot see her being a wife. I just can't. She isn't at all suited to it, much too young and imature as well. Can anyone really imagine her pregnant and having a baby??

With the other girls, although I disagree with their choices of being married that young, it's somehow different. Joy has never fitted the pattern though.

You are right on that @Munichnark I was just thinking that last night. I can't picture Joy going through the usual courtship/ wedding/ baby bit like her sisters. I can't imagine her in a wedding dress, or with bridesmaids etc, and especially doing the baby bump update thing. Maybe I just need time to realise she is on this path now.

I could  picture all this with her sisters. Some people said they couldn't imagine Jessa being a mother, but I had a feeling she could surprise us on that. And I do think Jessa took to motherhood (of her own kid, not sister-kids) quite well. 4 or 5 kids down the line might be different story, of course.

13 hours ago, calimojo said:

what wilderness adventure trip from CO?

That CO double episode where they went on a survival camp, and Joy was nearly eaten by a bear allegedly, because she was the only Duggar girl who'd actually sleep in the outdoors (at a survival weekend) - and seemed to be snarking a lot about Jinger being glued to her phone.  (I get the impression that Jinger and Joy aren't Best Friends...)

13 hours ago, trustworthy said:

No. Jenny Hartono is not only a longtime friend, but an honorary J'Slave-- she has put in many hours living in the Duggar dorm during college breaks.

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

No. Jenny Hartono is not only a longtime friend, but an honorary J'Slave-- she has put in many hours living in the Duggar dorm during college breaks.

She even has a J name!

Just now, alba said:

She even has a J name!

She's probably changed more Duggar diapers than Michelle has!

4 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

She's probably changed more Duggar diapers than Michelle has!

Almost certainly.

For those of you who are interested, here's a picture featuring Jennifer Hartono from back in the days of crunchy curls, found on the old Duggar website thanks to the Wayback Machine, the bane of history-rewriting fundies everywhere.

Duggar Christmas 2010.png

13 hours ago, barbecutie said:

Jennifer Hartono is a longtime family friend of the Duggars. Doubtful either of them are ringers.

Well then I'm glad!

I had this bright idea when Wayback Machine as mentioned. I used it to look at the Fort Rock website and it looks like the picture with Joy in it was put up sometime between August 6th and October 3rd. There was a large gap beteeen August and October and the pictures changed between them. 

ETA:  Also yay first post after long time lurking!!

I will hold my hands up that I'm especially on edge at the minute over Joy's courtship - everything I can find to read on his family so far is setting off alarms with me and reminds me of seemingly similar inlaws (wonderful hindsight kicking in again), but the single most disturbing thing yet for me has been bitbag's current headline: "Joy knocked off her feet! Not in a brutal way you'll love it".

I get that this approach will garner them a lot of clicks, but there's still something... I dunno, kinda a bit 'stop the world, I wanna get off'. ...it'd probably be easier if I could figure out are they using a 'humourous' approach to make a serious point, or simply being sensationalist and exploitive somehow. 

Did that one freak anyone else out a little? - or am I just in desperate need of tea?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived