IGNORED

Jingermy - We 'Knew' the Bride When She Used to Snarky Eyeroll

HerNameIsBuffy

@luxfilia Like I say when people ask this about the Bates, the problem with keeping the Duggars on the air is that it is normalizing a hate group. I'm in NC and most of the people I know think they are just a nice family who is Christian and will pretty much reject any information about how they are deeply involved with a dangerous cult  with claims that the Duggars are being persecuted for being Christians. 

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I think the real reason Jinger was looking scared was because she walked out to be greeted by this. Fast forward to 1:55. 

In all seriousness, I really hope Jinger finds happiness. 

OK---THIS video pulled me out of anonymous lurkdom. I registered  to note that this cutesy little anti-gay ditty has an unintended Duggar-dig in it. (Cue bango finger picking.) "When Dog said love your brother....I don't think he meant like this!"

Sure! Dog prefers opposite sex non-consensual assaults in marriage and among siblings to a mutually respectful marriage between people who happen to be the same sex. 

Was Johanna Jinger's buddy? I could see that being part of why she was a bridesmaid more than a push for her to grow up. 

24 minutes ago, Mrs.Right said:

I grew up in a very Mormon dominate area. The religious views are pretty much the same as the Duggars. Maybe I'm just sick of IBLP/Mormon ideologies and would love them to go away! Maybe I'm sick of knowing that the Duggars use their show as a missionary platform to bring more people into the IBLP flock. Mormonism left a bad religion taste in my mouth. 

That totally makes sense, and thank you for responding! So basically, people think the show should stop because it inflates the Duggars' ego (undeservedly) and may influence viewers to hold even stronger to their existing views (or be more open about their misplaced beliefs, because the show makes it seem more like a social norm).

Do we then think that the Duggars' egos would deflate and that conservative/fundie people would loosen up on their views, or at least hide them, were the show to stop airing? Hmm

ETA: I missed your point about them using the show as a way to bring more people into their IBLP flock. That makes sense. I wish we could see real numbers on who has converted to their specific (or a similar) religion due to the show. I guess Sierra could count for 1.

24 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

@luxfilia Like I say when people ask this about the Bates, the problem with keeping the Duggars on the air is that it is normalizing a hate group. I'm in NC and most of the people I know think they are just a nice family who is Christian and will pretty much reject any information about how they are deeply involved with a dangerous cult  with claims that the Duggars are being persecuted for being Christians. 

Very interesting! I'm in southern TN and I just don't hear that. But maybe I'm not speaking to the right type of religious people. Sometimes I give others TOO much benefit of the doubt by expecting them to be less ignorant (or at least have some common sense). Maybe some people really are encouraged to hate by viewing the show. 

I try so so very hard to not diss the Duggs on stupid stuff but sometimes it leaks out.  (You should hear what I keep to myself....shame on me,!!  Lol).  But for every snarky thing I say , I try to post a legitimate fundy problem/issue.

So  Anyhoo...   Those shoes, yeah, they are ugly, but not as ugly as the green shirt.  Haha

im hanging my head now...I'll go back to the election coverage.  :tw_flushed:

16 minutes ago, flycat said:

Was Johanna Jinger's buddy? I could see that being part of why she was a bridesmaid more than a push for her to grow up. 

Yup, Johannah was Jinger's buddy. I didn't see them as awfully close after Johannah was young, but the show may have cut bits in order to fit those boring storylines we saw eleventy times.

I don't really care about the ego of the Duggars, I do think that having society accept that they can have a television show and be portrayed as weird, but harmless helps keep the kids from having any incentive to really question their beliefs. IMO the show is doing more harm for the kids than it did good. 

I do think that having people like the Duggars on air lets people who share their beliefs feel like they be a bit more open about them, kind of like how Trump let racists feel like they could be more openly racist. People like the Duggars don't need to be seen as harmless or just a large Christian family, they need to be seen for who they are, a family who is a member of a horrific cult. 

Just now, formergothardite said:

I don't really care about the ego of the Duggars, I do think that having society accept that they can have a television show and be portrayed as weird, but harmless helps keep the kids from having any incentive to really question their beliefs. IMO the show is doing more harm for the kids than it did good. 

I do think that having people like the Duggars on air lets people who share their beliefs feel like they be a bit more open about them, kind of like how Trump let racists feel like they could be more openly racist. People like the Duggars don't need to be seen as harmless or just a large Christian family, they need to be seen for who they are, a family who is a member of a horrific cult. 

Thank you! You're the first one to really answer one of my specific questions. I totally agree with you, actually (oops, I swear I'm not quoting Jilly Muffin). The fact that the adult children aren't forced to have jobs, etc., thanks to the show probably affects them leaving their way of life, too. 

1 minute ago, luxfilia said:

That totally makes sense, and thank you for responding! So basically, people think the show should stop because it inflates the Duggars' ego (undeservedly) and may influence viewers to hold even stronger to their existing views (or be more open about their misplaced beliefs, because the show makes it seem more like a social norm).

Do we then think that the Duggars' egos would deflate and that conservative/fundie people would loosen up on their views, or at least hide them, were the show to stop airing? Hmm

No clue. I think that being on TV gives them more exposure and we don't need anymore religious zealots forming because of the Duggar family. 

16 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

ETA: I missed your point about them using the show as a way to bring more people into their IBLP flock. That makes sense. I wish we could see real numbers on who has converted to their specific (or a similar) religion due to the show. I guess Sierra could count for 1.

Wasn't there another leghumper family that came and lived in a Duggar rental ? 

12 hours ago, Pretzel said:

You never ever wear a hand-me-down wedding dress, it'll bring bad luck upon you.

At least that's what I was told. Of course I know it's bullshit and whether a marriage works never depends on how the wedding was done, BUT quite a few people in my circle of friends have had struggling marriages and all of them wore either borrowed, rented or handed-down wedding dresses (along with weird wedding arrangements, either overdone, over-simplistic and cheap etc.).

I thought my grandma was the only one who believed that. I really wanted a vintage dress. Not just because it would be cheaper than a new one but I liked the styles better. My grandmother threw a fit.  She would not have me in someone else's dress because I might be bringing in horrible things to my marriage. I bought a new dress. 

I'm not watching the TLC rerun episode.  Gilmore Girls is on.  Witty, independent women > religious extremists.  

On a different note, how much do you think is taken in to consideration for a new season? TV watchers? Google hits? Hashtag on social media? 

9 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Thanks for being more articulate than me. I think their cult is dangerous as well. From what I've seen from the Duggar parents, they only raise their children to be set up for failure in the "real world". Jim Bob and Michelle are doing nothing for their older children by letting them live in the houses they own. The older children are scared of the "real world". We will most likely never see a Duggar child moving too far away from Ma and Pa because of this. (I have a sneaky feeling Jeremy will be moving his Pastor work to AR very soon) It's like their parents do it on purpose so that their kids can't see their full potentials. Reminds me of Blast From the Past. 

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

This is a question I thought about this morning.

I wonder what the Duggar ladies think about their husbands relationships with each of their parents (Derick with Cathy, Ben with Mr/s Seewald...) and also what the ladies think of how their ILs treat THEM as opposed to how their own parents have treated them.

Also, what Jill and Jessa think about how the ILs treat their grandkids vs how JB and M do.

I've wondered about that when Guin said she couldn't wait to spoil Jessa. I'm sure it was the first time anyone had said that to her.  But do the girls have the critical thinking skills to make the connection?  

5 minutes ago, Pasta said:

On a different note, how much do you think is taken in to consideration for a new season? TV watchers? Google hits? Hashtag on social media? 

It's viewers.  Advertisers pay based on expected eyeballs and if the network doesn't make their goals they have to rebate the ad buyers.

16 minutes ago, Mrs.Right said:

No clue. I think that being on TV gives them more exposure and we don't need anymore religious zealots forming because of the Duggar family. 

Wasn't there another leghumper family that came and lived in a Duggar rental ? 

It was a good friend of John Schraeder and his family, He complained about the mold and the leaky roof.

Just now, Lillybee said:

It was a good friend of John Schraeder and his family, He complained about the mold and the leaky roof.

Then he later came back and tried to claim he was lying about all that for vague reasons that made no sense. I suspect that what he wrote got back to the Duggars and they called him up and he came to recant. 

@luxfiliaSorry for not responding. I'm watching election coverage, trying not to panic, and also trying not to fall asleep all at once. It's going to get an interesting night. :pb_lol:

I pretty much agree with @formergothardite. I tend to take what she says about IBLP and the families involved seriously because of her personal history. She knows far more than I ever will and I've learned a lot from her over the past two years.

I do believe strongly that the show has both pros and cons for the Duggar children. Pros being that filming likely helps limit the amount of time they could be physically or emotionally punished, as well as providing extra money for their care. 

But the cons are significant too. It gives the adult children an excuse to not need to work. And the easy money makes it unlikely that they'll question their beliefs in any serious capacity - because when things are going well for you there's no real reason to question things.

Plus, I hate the fact that the show normalizes this family in anyway. They aren't normal - they're members of a dangerous belief system and they need to be seen for what they are.

And, finally, my brother is Transgender and Bi. So he's my number one reason for wanting them off tv. The more publicity they get the more of a crowd they have to spread their hateful beliefs to and that's simply unacceptable to me.

26 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Yup, Johannah was Jinger's buddy. I didn't see them as awfully close after Johannah was young, but the show may have cut bits in order to fit those boring storylines we saw eleventy times.

It does seem like the older girls still have soft spots for their respective buddies. Jordyn was the only one of the little girls who was in Jessa's wedding party, and Jordyn also got to be the first to know the sex of baby Seewald. And didn't Jenni have a really hard time with Jill moving out?

3 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

It does seem like the older girls still have soft spots for their respective buddies. Jordyn was the only one of the little girls who was in Jessa's wedding party, and Jordyn also got to be the first to know the sex of baby Seewald. And didn't Jenni have a really hard time with Jill moving out?

She did. Her entire buddy group did if I remember right. Say what you want about her otherwise, but Jill seems to have had an especially close relationship with Joy, James, and Jenni. Jill seems to have made a special effort to make time for her buddies after she got married - it's why she was pictured so often hanging out with James. And it's why those three were with the Dillard's when they learned Izzy was going to be a boy too.

Hannie was also a Bridesmaid for Jill. 

5 hours ago, divadivine said:

Oh you silly @SassyPants... She's going to do string art and FaceTime with JessaBlessa. 

Hello all, another lurker here...y'all are my kind of folks :D

I am more than a little concerned about what Jinger will do with her time, after all the wedding excitement dies down.  Yes, there is Jeremy's little church,  her presence might bring in new people,  her photography, and probably all too soon, baby after baby... *sigh*

I'm very worried that the culture shock and isolation from her family will not be easy for Jinger.  Wiki says that Laredo is 95.6% Latino/Hispanic, which is not surprising right on the border.  I'm wondering what percentage of this population speaks English as well?  I'm guessing that Jinger doesn't speak much Spanish,  hopefully Jeremy does.

This article has a (very short) teaser for Jinger's wedding episode. http://www.ibtimes.com/jinger-duggar-wedding-episode-sneak-peek-shows-jeremy-vuolo-crying-altar-video-2443857 Jeremy tears up at the altar which is sweet. We just get a back view of Jinger's dress as she starts walking down the aisle, but you can see that her skirt is pretty poofy and her veil is back unlike Jill's/Jessa's.

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 10.22.02 PM.png

@grandmadugger The things we do for our grandmas. I'm going to insist that one of my grandchildren wear my wedding dress :evil-laugh:. Of course I only have boys, so maybe I'll let them off. :devilish:

32 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

@grandmadugger The things we do for our grandmas. I'm going to insist that one of my grandchildren wear my wedding dress :evil-laugh:. Of course I only have boys, so maybe I'll let them off. :devilish:

Take it even farther and insist their spouse wears it.  No one can say no to grandma. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived