IGNORED

Jinger and the Jock- I only wanna be with you!

samurai_sarah

What is it with the Duggar girls and bug eyes???? First Jill, now Jinger and Joy.... If you think it's cute I have news for you: it looks ridiculous.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the wearing of the jersey thing. I don't know, it's kind of cute. I know a gal who has three sons, all of whom her husband has coached in their high school football years.

Every year, they have a game on their wedding anniversary. Every year, she hauls out a sign, saying, "I <3 the COACH!! Happy Anniversary, (husband)!"  Other people have signs, and she has hers, and it's a big hit. They've been married for over 20 years now.. 

I think it's cute. And when Jinger gives birth to little Vuolo, and she's wearing Jeremy's shirt in the baby pool, it will have been a normal progression.. she wears it out, then she wears it to bed, then she wears it into a rag...

Haha, while I was in a long distance relationship with my first-and-last-boyfriend™ he gave me a pair of his boxer shorts. We were 18/19, so a bit younger. Now at 26 I would go for a shirt instead. More useful. ;-) 

While I was inpatient when I was 15 I had a jacket from my mother with me. 

So, for me that is nothing weird at all. 

15 hours ago, pamplemousse said:

By the time Joy gets around to courting, the shameless hussy might actually do something like kiss her fiance on the cheek before they're married. It's a slippery slope, y'all!

It's as if they are starting to believe their parent's 'they make their own courting rules' crap. 

18 hours ago, Yomoaw said:

Did anyone else hope for a moment that she was looking at the hotel as a possible venue? Meaning that the guest list likely would be capped around 300-350? My family members have done several weddings in reception halls. A girl can dream, right?

I so hope Jinger gets what she wants and not a huge affair. Maybe they'll marry in Pennsylvania or Texas....

My now husband would let me have sweatshirts and t-shirts he didn't use much. We started that when we began dating at 19... And never really stopped. It's been just over nine years now. I'm pretty sure I'll be stealing some of his shirts as my pregnant belly gets bigger too. :pb_lol:

So I don't think it's weird if it is his jersey. I don't think it is though. It fits her too well - Jinger is teeny compared to Jeremy, so his jersey would be much baggier on her.

2 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I so hope Jinger gets what she wants and not a huge affair. Maybe they'll marry in Pennsylvania or Texas....

Whatever you may feel about Lily and Ellie :pb_rollseyes:, they posted yesterday claiming that J&J's "guest list is significantly shorter than Jill and Jessa's, as they desire the moment to be shared only be family and close friends." And J&J don't appear to be announcing the date etc. quite so publicly, likely *because* it might actually be a smaller event. So...there's actually some potential for quality control in this wedding. Whether it's realized or not is entirely up in the air, but there's potential.

@metheglyn Maybe the Italian Vuolos want real food, as has been surmised on FJ earlier on in this meaningful discussion. I am Irish, and we had no national cuisine as I was growing up. My mother was a disinterested cook. And they might not want to feed hordes of people full Italian dinners. Maybe it will be lovely. Before Jinge goes off to her life of babymaking, maybe this will be nice. As I said before, she looks so vulnerable it hurts to watch. Jeremy, be nice. I do not want these young women to suffer any more than their lifestyle will ensure. 

23 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

@metheglyn Maybe the Italian Vuolos want real food, as has been surmised on FJ earlier on in this meaningful discussion. I am Irish, and we had no national cuisine as I was growing up. My mother was a disinterested cook. And they might not want to feed hordes of people full Italian dinners. Maybe it will be lovely. Before Jinge goes off to her life of babymaking, maybe this will be nice. As I said before, she looks so vulnerable it hurts to watch. Jeremy, be nice. I do not want these young women to suffer any more than their lifestyle will ensure. 

I was actually thinking about that, too. Weddings are a pretty big deal for Italians*. There has to be good, legit food. If the food sucks, your wedding sucks. None of that half melted root beer sundaes and mints. I hope Jeremy pushes for an actual sit-down meal. 

I do wonder if he'll win on the wine front.... Italian wedding and no wine, no Jordan almonds, no good food? Shame. 

*Obviously this is my perception as growing up Italian-American with immigrant grandparents and going to a LOT of weddings... 

9 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I was actually thinking about that, too. Weddings are a pretty big deal for Italians*. There has to be good, legit food. If the food sucks, your wedding sucks. None of that half melted root beer sundaes and mints. I hope Jeremy pushes for an actual sit-down meal. 

I do wonder if he'll win on the wine front.... Italian wedding and no wine, no Jordan almonds, no good food? Shame. 

*Obviously this is my perception as growing up Italian-American with immigrant grandparents and going to a LOT of weddings... 

As to the wine, clearly the DuggarFundie life is alcohol free, I wonder about the VuoloFundie life......I find it hard to believe they drink. But I dunno. But as to the food, as an Italian-American I will consider you an authority. 

53 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

My husband's family is Italian, originally from New York. What you said is true - if it's important to his family. We have no clue who these people are other than their brief appearances in the show and the father's pretty ugly sermons online. At this point they could be the most stereotypical Italian family ever or they could literally have nothing to do with their Italian roots - whatever brand of religion they subscribe to could prove far more influential than heritage.

I was on one wedding so far and that type of wedding for the Duggars would be extremely expensive I guess. Church in the morning. Then everyone drove to the hotel where the wedding took place. (All behind each other, each car with a little flower and bride and groom in the first car with a big bouquet on it. It is important to blow your horn when you do that, to let everyone know that someone just got married. That is a tradition in Germany.) At the hotel you have cake, dance and a sit down dinner and party. (They had buffet style, which I prefer.) 

A few days before the wedding there is a so called "Polterabend". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polterabend

A wedding without a sit down dinner is, at least in my area, extremely uncommon. Some even choose to delay to marry until they have the money for a proper reception. They only marry at the registry office and invited only close family and church (big ass dress, reception) comes later. (A church wedding is common even for non believers.)

I can't imagine the talk around here if someone marries and only serves ice cream in front of the church. They would ask why the parents of the bride and groom did not prevent that... 

25 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

I was on one wedding so far and that type of wedding for the Duggars would be extremely expensive I guess. Church in the morning. Then everyone drove to the hotel where the wedding took place. (All behind each other, each car with a little flower and bride and groom in the first car with a big bouquet on it. It is important to blow your horn when you do that, to let everyone know that someone just got married. That is a tradition in Germany.) At the hotel you have cake, dance and a sit down dinner and party. (They had buffet style, which I prefer.) 

A few days before the wedding there is a so called "Polterabend". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polterabend

A wedding without a sit down dinner is, at least in my area, extremely uncommon. Some even choose to delay to marry until they have the money for a proper reception. They only marry at the registry office and invited only close family and church (big ass dress, reception) comes later. (A church wedding is common even for non believers.)

I can't imagine the talk around here if someone marries and only serves ice cream in front of the church. They would ask why the parents of the bride and groom did not prevent that... 

In the Northeastern U.S. we tend to have more formal receptions as well. That isn't necessarily the case for other areas of the country though. The Duggars and their circle seem to favor more laid back punch and cake type receptions. It seems to just be the norm for them - if they did a more formal style reception it might seem odd to them and their circle the same way a more laid back reception would seem odd to others.

It'll be interesting to see what JinJer comes up with - if they go with a Duggar reception, something more formal, or compromise of the two.

Unless Jeremy's family is footing the bill, I can not see the Duggars hosting a reception beyond the usual cake and watered down, powdered ade drink/ ice cream and sweet tea affair. IMO, unless the couple (or someone other than the girl's parents)  is paying for the reception, all kids in a family should get the same type of reception or monetary outlay. Why should 1 person get $$$$$$ and another get $? 

Now if J/J only had their parents and sibs and no other guests, vs the near 1000 that the other couples had, I could see a more extravagant affair and that would be nice. BUT, the chances of that happening is slim to none, again just IMO.

Hmm. If Jinjer had a nice sit down reception, wouldn't that set a precedence for future weddings? Of course, 1000 guests means a 1000 gifts, maybe a good trade off.

They could be getting the same or similar amounts of money, but if Jinger invites fewer people she can feed them better. Maybe she saw what a poonami Jill and Jesse's weddings were, and she decided that fewer people, fewer gifts, and better food was more desirable than everyone on Dad and Mom's wedding list and melted root beer floats in the freezing parking lot.

9 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

They could be getting the same or similar amounts of money, but if Jinger invites fewer people she can feed them better. Maybe she saw what a poonami Jill and Jesse's weddings were, and she decided that fewer people, fewer gifts, and better food was more desirable than everyone on Dad and Mom's wedding list and melted root beer floats in the freezing parking lot.

If Jeremy wants a certain type of wedding would Jinge have to defer to him as her future boss?? Maybe he doesn't like root beer floats or parking lots. Maybe he made the decisions. 

All this conjecture has made me hungry. 

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

In the Northeastern U.S. we tend to have more formal receptions as well.

The reception described is actually not seen as "very formal" in Germany. Not everybody has the reception in a hotel, but you almost always book a restaurant or room and you always provide food in some way. That is pretty much standard. However much money you can afford- point is- you feed your guests. Even if you throw a backyard reception- you feed your guests. Make it a "everybody brings something", BUT FEED YOUR DAMN GUESTS.

I have heard of weddings where the church was around 11.00 (pretty standard) and then the guests where "released" till it was time for coffee and later diner. That is not fun if you travel to be there the same day. What are you going to do? What if the weather is bad? I think there is a reason why there is often a BIG lunch after the wedding followed by cake in the afternoon and either a cold buffet (bred, selection of cheese and cold meats, salads) or a hot soup. If you cannot afford to feed the people to that extent make it smaller, marry later in the day, finish the reception, make it as layed back as you want but please feed your guests something!

8 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

If Jeremy wants a certain type of wedding would Jinge have to defer to him as her future boss?? Maybe he doesn't like root beer floats or parking lots. Maybe he made the decisions. 

I think it ends up being Jeremy vs. JimBob on this one and JB will 'win' as he is paying and it will be a J'Slave wedding repeat. FWIW I have a VERY hard time believing that the Vuolos would put in any $$ based on the belief system. I also think that if Jinger is moving away JB will be unlikely to give a millimeter on absolutely anything else. 

59 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I have heard of weddings where the church was around 11.00 (pretty standard) and then the guests where "released" till it was time for coffee and later diner. That is not fun if you travel to be there the same day. What are you going to do? What if the weather is bad? I think there is a reason why there is often a BIG lunch after the wedding followed by cake in the afternoon and either a cold buffet (bred, selection of cheese and cold meats, salads) or a hot soup. If you cannot afford to feed the people to that extent make it smaller, marry later in the day, finish the reception, make it as layed back as you want but please feed your guests something!

That's exactly how our wedding was. It wasn't possible any other way because the courthouse (Standesamt) doesn't offer afternoon ceremonies - they're all in the morning. So we had people at the Standesamt at 10am, then had a champagne reception there. Afterwards, everyone was free until 5pm, when we had another champagne reception (LOL, what can I say, we like our champagne), dinner, wedding cake and dancing/drinking until 4 am. From what we heard, everyone enjoyed this set-up. Some people went back home or to their hotels and took a nap. Some people went sightseeing. Some people went shopping. My husband's workaholic aunt and uncle went to work in between. It's freaking Berlin - nobody was bored. ;) And it certainly didn't have anything to do with us not wanting to feed our guests (boy, did we ever!). But most people don't want to spend all day at a reception if they're going to be there until early in the morning. We actually got a lot of positive feedback because people have been to receptions that ran all day and it was boring AF for most of the afternoon. But we didn't have anyone travelling there the same day. Everyone either lives here or were here for two nights at a minimum (and thus had a hotel room). If we had invited someone for whom the set-up would have been a problem, we would have thought of something else. We certainly took good care of our guests in spite of the scandalous break in between our ceremony and reception. :D 

The reception described is actually not seen as "very formal" in Germany. Not everybody has the reception in a hotel, but you almost always book a restaurant or room and you always provide food in some way. That is pretty much standard. However much money you can afford- point is- you feed your guests. Even if you throw a backyard reception- you feed your guests. Make it a "everybody brings something", BUT FEED YOUR DAMN GUESTS.

OMG THIS.

I was at a wedding recently where the ceremony was at 1 and they didn't even start serving the meal till 5 (so it was after 6 by the time I got my main). Because the wedding was early in the afternoon, we didn't have time to eat beforehand (the hotel stopped serving breakfast at 10:30 and didn't start lunch till midday).

It took me two days to recover from the resulting migraine.

My younger son is getting married in June 2017. They plan on a 4pm outdoor wedding, then wine and hors d'oeuvres, with a sit down dinner at about 7pm. Sometime after that will be cake, dessert bar etc. At about 11pm, there will be finger foods (small burritos, tacos, spring roll type of things)  and take out containers for people to fill up and take with them as they leave the event.

I think the guest list is 250 people. It should be beautiful. Luckily I am not paying for it....lol

I'm starting to wonder if they're looking at a spring wedding. If the groom's side are more normal wanting a more traditional affair (with food) than the usual 'stand 1000 people in a car park' it's going to take a bit more time to organise.

FWIW We had 50 people to a sit down buffet reception after a 2pm wedding followed by a less formal buffet in the evening for 150. No-one went home hungry.

Oh and while I could (AKA before I got fat), I often wore MrCoveredInBees rugby tops. Doesn't bother me at all, far less creepy than the pillow thing.

8 hours ago, JillyO said:

That's exactly how our wedding was. It wasn't possible any other way because the courthouse (Standesamt) doesn't offer afternoon ceremonies - they're all in the morning. So we had people at the Standesamt at 10am, then had a champagne reception there. Afterwards, everyone was free until 5pm, when we had another champagne reception (LOL, what can I say, we like our champagne), dinner, wedding cake and dancing/drinking until 4 am. From what we heard, everyone enjoyed this set-up. Some people went back home or to their hotels and took a nap. Some people went sightseeing. Some people went shopping. My husband's workaholic aunt and uncle went to work in between. It's freaking Berlin - nobody was bored. ;) And it certainly didn't have anything to do with us not wanting to feed our guests (boy, did we ever!). But most people don't want to spend all day at a reception if they're going to be there until early in the morning. We actually got a lot of positive feedback because people have been to receptions that ran all day and it was boring AF for most of the afternoon. But we didn't have anyone travelling there the same day. Everyone either lives here or were here for two nights at a minimum (and thus had a hotel room). If we had invited someone for whom the set-up would have been a problem, we would have thought of something else. We certainly took good care of our guests in spite of the scandalous break in between our ceremony and reception. :D 

I've been to Bar/Bat Mitzvahs with this setup. Ceremony in the morning at the synagogue, a short nosh afterwards (generally breakfast/lunch-y things in the social hall), break in the afternoon to nap, shop, hang out, and change clothes (since what you wear to a morning service at a synagogue isn't very evening-y, generally), and then a huge party with dinner and raucous dancing all night. I did everything at night (evening Havdalah service, which was lovely except I wish that it had been warm/nice enough to do it outdoors like how I always did Havdalah at summer camp) and in one place -- the social hall at the synagogue was big enough for the amount of people I invited, had plenty of room for a dance floor, and as long as all the food was kosher and no one got too drunk, catering could set up as they wished.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived