IGNORED

Dilldereal 18

SpoonfulOSugar

21 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Those are the WORST. You can add me to the list of hardest people to get blood from. My record is eight - no lie - sticks for two vials of blood. My veins are tiny and deep. I always tell them right off the bat, and tell them to get a butterfly needle and only aim for my right arm. Only a handful actually listen, and thankfully, one of the nurses remembers me. I always want to kick them in the shins when they tell me "OH don't worry, I'm really good at this!!" 

I get this too! I tell them butterfly needle and I have had only 1 nurse on a particularly good day who got it right off the bat. 

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/5/2016 at 0:10 PM, calimojo said:

In my experience,  young men are more likely to get faint with an IV stick;  Between the ages of 16- 35, especially.  Women are more sensitive to the discomfort of the IV site when it is in place.

I can support that theory. Mr. Curator has excellent veins, but faints and convulses when he has blood drawn. Fun times. 

I, on the other hand, am totally desensitized. My mom was on dialysis for five years, which removed by force what little fear I had of blood, needles, or wound care. PSA for the day: love your kidneys. They are so important.

Watching the video...

I am not well-traveled. Can someone explain to me why they can't get salad there? And she makes it sound like you don't have to wash veggies in the U.S. Call me crazy...but I do.

Did Derick tell a 1 year old to have patience? Good luck with that!

Izzy is ready to have a sibling? Yeah...clearly.

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

Watching the video...

I am not well-traveled. Can someone explain to me why they can't get salad there? And she makes it sound like you don't have to wash veggies in the U.S. Call me crazy...but I do.

I think she was implying that she believed the overall cleanliness standard there is not as high as it is in the States. They may not have as strict of regulations as the FDA would. It's probably in part her fear of evil central america but I would say there is some basis in it. 

Especially if alot of the food there is sold in farmer market type scenarios rather than a super market. It appears there wouldnt be as much oversight in a market than a grocery store therefore the risk of disease from vegetables would be higher. 

Not saying I agree with it but I can see where the fear may come from. 

2 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

I think she was implying that she believed the overall cleanliness standard there is not as high as it is in the States. They may not have as strict of regulations as the FDA would. It's probably in part her fear of evil central america but I would say there is some basis in it. 

Especially if alot of the food there is sold in farmer market type scenarios rather than a super market. It appears there wouldnt be as much oversight in a market than a grocery store therefore the risk of disease from vegetables would be higher. 

Not saying I agree with it but I can see where the fear may come from. 

Food that doesnt come frozen or in cans is of the devil.  She doesnt know what this "unprocessed" heathen food is.

2 hours ago, Bim said:

Im thinking that Jill and Derrick are aiming to conceive while they're in the states, I don't think they're dumb enough to try while in Central America. 

But I did love that video, Jill and Derick are my favourite couple, they actually seem in love and they goals and desires align. I just see Jessa and Ben as mutually fame hungry and the jury's still out on Jinger and Jeremy.

Jill will definitely be the next pregnant, I don't think we'll see Anna pregnant for a long long time. 

The look on her face immediately after they asked looked like she was processing how to answer, and I think the reason why is probably they have been avoiding pregnancy (whether through bc or abstinence who knows). Eventually as the producer was talking to her about it she says "a lot of people ask" as part of her avoidance to give too much away, and the editor spliced that in because it was more interesting than *long pause* "no"

Jill definitely seems to have mellowed out in a lot of ways. She didn't interrupt every single thing Derick tried to say. She seems less eager to spout the first thing in her head to try to seem like the Most! Holy! Duggar! and instead has less anxiety to please (whomever she believed her audience was before/JB). Her words seem pretty deliberate, which might seem silly because they didn't really say anything deep in this video, but she sounded like she was just talking, when before she was married Jill always seemed to be performing.

I wonder though how happy she is. Derick seems to just love all on Izzy (check out the video of them swimming). She seems fine being married, fine being a mom, fine being in central america, fine with Derick. Maybe it's part of "not performing" anymore where she's just not going to put more energy in "appearing" to feel or be a certain way and is just trying to be, but I wonder if part of that comes from exposure to a new place/ideas + having her notions challenged (this trip to save souls hasn't ended up at all like I imagined/motherhood isn't at all as I imagined/marriage isn't at all how I imagined) ++ being away from her family (how good was my family for me? Do I even miss them?). 

She reminded me a lot of me in my first semester of college. I was excited to be experiencing something new and appreciated it, but I was lonely and bored a lot because I hadn't settled in yet. But that boredom and loneliness didn't depress me (like it usually does) because I was doing something I'd never done before and my future was ahead of me.

I do think though if they get pregnant while home (how long are they staying??) they won't go back.

2 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

In a place where the water contains a high level of bacteria, you can wash the vegetables all day (particularly leafy ones like lettuce) and just transfer more bacteria onto them through the water, which can still cause you to get sick even though they appear fully clean.

That said, this would typically be more of an issue in restaurants with uncertain water supplies or in the homes of poorer families. The Dillards presumably have a reliable source of clean drinking water (or else salad would would be the least of their worries,) so they should be able to just wash their veggies in whatever they use for that and have all the salad they want at home.

Some people actually don't wash their veggies in the United States, just assuming they will be safe and clean. Obviously this is not the case at all, and you should wash your vegetables and fruits anywhere, including the US. Unwashed fruits and veggies are not safe, period.

1 hour ago, habert said:

She reminded me a lot of me in my first semester of college. I was excited to be experiencing something new and appreciated it, but I was lonely and bored a lot because I hadn't settled in yet. But that boredom and loneliness didn't depress me (like it usually does) because I was doing something I'd never done before and my future was ahead of me.

Off topic, but I really had to read something like this. I'm currently in my 2nd week at college and I've never been so lonely. Unlike you, I have been letting it depress me (I'm kind of anxiety prone as it is)  Thanks. 

45 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Off topic, but I really had to read something like this. I'm currently in my 2nd week at college and I've never been so lonely. Thanks. 

Awww, you're welcome :)

You'll find your friends and place, just keep going to class, going to the dinning courts, trying clubs. If you feel like your social life is in a bit of a rut try to get excited about what you're learning in class. You'll have things to talk about with other students as the weeks go by!

I made my "core" group of friends by second semester. By the end of freshman year I didn't want to go home.

I agree with @habert. Getting into the swing of things at college can take a while. I met my core group of friends my third semester. 

I believe there is value to try to find the best of any situation. How you see a situation depends partly on how you want to perceive it going. There are exceptions to this of course, like if someone has a mental health issue. 

I would encourage you to try out new things. You may be surprised to discover what you enjoy the most is not even on your radar right now. 

Jill is totally pregnant. Stop shoving the 'We want another baby' thing down our throats. We know that all you and Derrick do, is breed like rabbits. 

14 hours ago, habert said:

The look on her face immediately after they asked looked like she was processing how to answer, and I think the reason why is probably they have been avoiding pregnancy (whether through bc or abstinence who knows). Eventually as the producer was talking to her about it she says "a lot of people ask" as part of her avoidance to give too much away, and the editor spliced that in because it was more interesting than *long pause* "no"

Jill definitely seems to have mellowed out in a lot of ways. She didn't interrupt every single thing Derick tried to say. She seems less eager to spout the first thing in her head to try to seem like the Most! Holy! Duggar! and instead has less anxiety to please (whomever she believed her audience was before/JB). Her words seem pretty deliberate, which might seem silly because they didn't really say anything deep in this video, but she sounded like she was just talking, when before she was married Jill always seemed to be performing.

I wonder though how happy she is. Derick seems to just love all on Izzy (check out the video of them swimming). She seems fine being married, fine being a mom, fine being in central america, fine with Derick. Maybe it's part of "not performing" anymore where she's just not going to put more energy in "appearing" to feel or be a certain way and is just trying to be, but I wonder if part of that comes from exposure to a new place/ideas + having her notions challenged (this trip to save souls hasn't ended up at all like I imagined/motherhood isn't at all as I imagined/marriage isn't at all how I imagined) ++ being away from her family (how good was my family for me? Do I even miss them?). 

I do think though if they get pregnant while home (how long are they staying??) they won't go back.

I think Jill had a lot of preconceived notions of what marriage/motherhood was going to be like, and since her wedding, her world pretty much got turned upside down. That perfect home birth she was going to have turned into an emergency C-section. Everyone found out about the terrible thing her parents probably told her to keep a secret Or Else. Her brother turned out to be even more of a scumbag than he already was. She moved to a foreign country with an infant in tow. That's a lot of adjustment to go through in two years. I still think Jill is a couple tacos short of a combo plate and I think her "missionary" work is useless at best, but I do kinda feel for her with all the changes and upheaval she's had to deal with in such a short time.

Agreed. She did have a lot to deal with, and her time in dangerous CA was nothing like the SOS missioncations. However, they did come home twice in the year and had lots of family visit and plenty of face time, so she wasn't really that isolated.

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Agreed. She did have a lot to deal with, and her time in dangerous CA was nothing like the SOS missioncations. However, they did come home twice in the year and had lots of family visit and plenty of face time, so she wasn't really that isolated.

Yeah, she hasn't been completely isolated from her family or anyone since she's been married. I didn't mean to suggest that if it sounded like it.

But in the first episode this season (I haven't watched any others) she does seem to have motherhood related isolation. Derick gets to go out and do work and meet people, and Jill is spending all day in her house and sometimes has women over to read the bible. She doesn't seem to speak Spanish very well yet, or isn't comfortable doing it like Derick. Derick at the buffet didn't say anything really interesting or complex, but he was talking. Jessa mentions she talks to Jill, but not as much as she'd like.

I mean for all I know what I've seen was just filmed on an off day where Jill didn't feel well or something. It just seems to me that she's had some shifts in her personality since marriage, moving, and scandals, and compared to Derick doesn't seem to be as eager about anything they're experiencing, where before marriage she was very excited about motherhood and mission work. 

Jill probably has zero strategies to combat depression and loneliness if she can even recognize those things in herself. Her parents failed her there big time.

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

Jill posted on instagram. She thinks green beans is a unique snack. 

Well, at least it's not pickles

Wasn't there a really old episode where the Duggars said they ate green beans spritzed with vinegar (kinda like pickles) for a snack? 

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

I like green beans with red wine vinegar on them. I didn't realize this might be "different."

Well, for the Duggars it would have to be red grape juice vinegar. ;)

5 hours ago, Bethella said:

Wasn't there a really old episode where the Duggars said they ate green beans spritzed with vinegar (kinda like pickles) for a snack? 

I think it was cucumber that they sprayed with vinegar.

The strangest iv-placement I've ever heard of is a patient with a line in a breast vein.

I've got a huge vein going down my forehead, and there is a real risk I'm going to end up with an iv there if ever needed. 

On 9/6/2016 at 5:47 PM, ClaraOswin said:

Watching the video...

In some places, because the water isn't treated as much as it is in the US, they tell you not to eat any fruits or vegetables that you can't peel or cook, since washing fresh produce in untreated water and eating them raw is a surefire way to get some nasty stomach bugs. Can confirm, got a gnarly case of food poisoning in China (bad enough that I burst blood vessels in my eyes from vomiting so forcefully and almost had to go to the hospital because I just couldn't keep anything down) after I ate raw grapes that I just auto-pilot washed in my sink. If you want a salad in those parts of the world, you have to go to a fancy restaurant, or wash everything yourself in a bleach-water solution.

4 hours ago, Thorns said:

The strangest iv-placement I've ever heard of is a patient with a line in a breast vein.

I've got a huge vein going down my forehead, and there is a real risk I'm going to end up with an iv there if ever needed. 

Have witnessed the breast IV. It was not great, but definitely preferable to the 10+ attempts in arms and legs that came before it. Lucky for me, it was not my breast. 

On September 2, 2016 at 9:34 PM, Bad Wolf said:

So 2 parents take their kid swimming. Boring. The only interesting thing about 19 KAC was the size of the family. Parents with 1 kid is not a show. That's just ordinary. How can they keep this going?

Even if all the married kids had 8 kids, it would not be a show. The Duggars gained notoriety in being the first mega family with a fame whore at the helm.

I agree about how can they keep this going. They represent nothing of entertainment or educational value. If the "religious" angle is moot when you consider Josh, JB and Micelle's behaviors and decisions.

Regarding the new Instagram photos posted by Jill, Jenny is a Jana clone, Jordyn favors Jinger and Josie continues to rock her Shirley Temple. Poor Hannie is Josh's female twin.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived