IGNORED

Dilldereal 18

SpoonfulOSugar

On August 22, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Mercer said:

But... how? Why?

What does skin color have to do with the ability to find veins?

I believe the theory is that a dark skinned person starts off by practicing on him or herself and those close to them (also likely to be dark skinned) so he/she has to learn how to find the vein "properly" by feel instead of visually. 

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Tryamon said:

I believe the theory is that a dark skinned person starts off by practicing on him or herself and those close to them (also likely to be dark skinned) so he/she has to learn how to find the vein "properly" by feel instead of visually. 

Baloney. Veins show on black people, and black phlebotomists train with non black people. I have had excellent phlebotomists of all races and skin colors.

It is never recommended to practice starting IV's or drawing blood on yourself or family members. I have never heard of that. I started IV's and drew blood on people of all races and skin colors. Some black people have veins that are very easy to see and some white people have veins that are impossible. Race and color have nothing to do with it.

Now Males are generally easier to get an IV or blood stick than females. However, the male veins can also tend to roll just as you're inserting the needle. So many tricks to getting into someone's vein in a timely and efficient manner. All sizes, colors, etc.

11 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

It is never recommended to practice starting IV's or drawing blood on yourself or family members. I have never heard of that. I started IV's and drew blood on people of all races and skin colors. Some black people have veins that are very easy to see and some white people have veins that are impossible. Race and color have nothing to do with it.

Agreed I'm white as milk and nurses find it nearly impossible to get blood from me 

54 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Now Males are generally easier to get an IV or blood stick than females. However, the male veins can also tend to roll just as you're inserting the needle. So many tricks to getting into someone's vein in a timely and efficient manner. All sizes, colors, etc.

I was always taught to go by feeling never by what you see. My poor husband is a haaaard stick, large (hate to use this word) juicy veins but they roll as soon as you touch them. He ends up getting stuck 2 or 3 times. 

People with Down's, Dwarfism, Kidney issues and babies are the worse. I have to mentally steel myself because it is going to be a hard stick. 

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

I find this whole conversation so interesting! Whenever I get blood work done it never seems to take more than one prick... Of course the one time I got an IV I was already knocked out, so for all I know it could've taken them a thousand tries. 

I got surgery done when I was a little kid, and for the longest time I thought the birthmark on my wrist- it's right on top of a vein- was a scar from the IV

My husband ( EMT) says he doesn't find veins on darker skinned people any harder to find than on white people.

Glow in the dark white skinned person here. ( seriously, I am one pasty lady.) My veins are so difficult that my scheduled C section had to be rescheduled. 

All the L&D nurses tried, and the anesthesia docs tried with an ultrasound for 6 hours. 

I was the proud recipient of a PICC line, and eventually I had a brand new baby to go with it.

I was born 12 weeks prem (IVF triplet) and have scars on my feet from where they had to do cutdowns on my feet to get an IV in. They're my favourite scars :)

I also have lots of tiny IV scars on my hands. I've never had any problem having blood taken since then, no idea about IVs - haven't had one since I was a baby. My brother, who was a bit bigger and didn't need cutdowns, has had no end of problems getting blood taken and having IVs during his various hospital stays (he has mild CP so had had loads of operations).

nurse with 30+ years of experience here and skin color doesn't make a difference when it comes to starting IV's.  And big ropey veins are not always the best ones to use for IVs. They roll and have lots of valves and bifurcations (branches going in different directions) in them.  Choosing the best IV site is an art and you have lots to consider.  How long will it need to be in place,  how active is the patient,  what type of medicine will be pushed through it?  (Certain meds should never be given in tiny remote peripheral veins), will it be used to give blood products,  How fast does the fluid need to go through the IV, etc.  Lots to consider. 

Over the years, I have started IVs in scalps,  fingers, even toes, in addition to the more common sites.  I worked Labor, Delivery and Nursery for years and once your learn to draw blood from, or start an IV on a newborn, you can pretty much start one on anyone.

And I worked for about 7 years in a busy out patient surgery center and we did tons of cataract surgeries there.  So that gave me tons of practice in starting IV's on the elderly who have much more delicate skin and knotty veins. 

In my experience,  young men are more likely to get faint with an IV stick;  Between the ages of 16- 35, especially.  Women are more sensitive to the discomfort of the IV site when it is in place. 

It probably sounds twisted, but starting IVs was my favorite thing to do when I did nursing at the bedside.  And once we all got better with using buffered Lidocaine to numb the skin, it really isn't all that uncomfortable for the patient.  I always worked in medium sized hospitals that didn't have a separate IV team, but I always wanted to work at a big hospital and just do IV therapy all day.  And now that nurses are doing PICC and Mid-Lines,  it would be even more fun. 

IV drug addicts are the worst! But they will happily tell you the best place to try, or will offer to do it themselves.

ALWAYS listen to the iv drug addicts about placement. I have hard to hit veins but one prominent one on my non dominant arm. Back in the day, I really abused that vein. It's been years and looks fine from the outside now, but once you try to get it there are layers of crunch. Most people are really nice and accommodating. Recently though a nurse argued with me when I told her to use the other arm and she just went for old faithful. I got up and walked away not realizing I was dripping blood all over the clinic floor. Once I noticed I went back. In addition to dealing with the mess she then had to spend 10 minutes squeezing out the blood that pooled in the layers between my scars. I got left with a nasty bruise and a large track mark that reminded me of the life I worked so hard to leave. Neither of us were happy that day.

Some nurses have pretty big egos and instead of listening to the patient they want to "prove" that the patient is wrong and they (the nurse) can do anything. Those nurses usually don't last too long, or end up in a non patient care areas of nursing. Don't misunderstand that statement....nurses in non patient care are not bad bedside nurses.  

@missegeno,  congratulations on your recovery.  May you stay clean for the rest of your life!

I have relatively easy veins.  My worst experience was when I had an IV drip of Magnesium Sulfate to help stop preterm labor.  The night nurse took my blood pressure  in that arm every single time during her shift.  Mag sulfate is very thick and taking my BP in that arm was excruciating!    I had a mark of my arm for a year afterwards.

Forgot to put this in earlier my earlier post as I was in a rush going to get blood work done (how ironic) ! 

When I was younger the doctor and nurses couldn't find any vein good enough to get blood from. Now I was the palest child, blonde hair and blue eyed Scandinavian decent! They ended up having to take it from my ankle after trying my arms for hours. Most painful thing ever. 

I have to schedule an hour with a specific nurse now if I need blood work done! It still takes ages to find a vein and she seems to be the only one who can find one! I also bruise really bad after having blood work or an IV 

3 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Some nurses have pretty big egos and instead of listening to the patient they want to "prove" that the patient is wrong and they (the nurse) can do anything. Those nurses usually don't last too long, or end up in a non patient care areas of nursing. Don't misunderstand that statement....nurses in non patient care are not bad bedside nurses.  

Those are the WORST. You can add me to the list of hardest people to get blood from. My record is eight - no lie - sticks for two vials of blood. My veins are tiny and deep. I always tell them right off the bat, and tell them to get a butterfly needle and only aim for my right arm. Only a handful actually listen, and thankfully, one of the nurses remembers me. I always want to kick them in the shins when they tell me "OH don't worry, I'm really good at this!!" 

Unfortunately, some people equate a non degreed medical person with being stupid. For me it's been with dentists. I truly hate going to the dentist now.

On 9/4/2016 at 8:04 AM, BlessaYourHeart said:

We had missionaries in church today (a retired minister and his wife) who had just returned from somewhere in Africa (I can't remember where exactly) 

They talked about how they had helped farmers get the most out of their land by providing farming machinery; how they'd helped set up schools for local children and train teachers; helped provide cows and goats and also set up water pumps in rural villages. 

It made me realise how futile the Dillard's attempt at missioning has been. What have they actually done to benefit the people? 

Left the country I'm guessing. Now they can maybe go about their day with out being annoyed by scared white folks. 

Oh boy. Just what they need to keep the money rolling in. Two pregnancies and a wedding. How long can they stretch this out? The leg humpers must be ecstatic. :shakehead:

5 minutes ago, karen77 said:

http://www.people.com/article/jill-duggar-dillard-gets-coy-after-pregnancy-question

Jill is being coy about the pregnancy question.....

I'm not reading much into it. You can clearly see the video clip was edited. It's possible they just edited it like that to draw attention or heighten interest.

I will say the video shows the following though:

- Derick's Spanish seems to have improved. Not sure how much since I'm not fluent and it's not necessarily a good thing since now he can probably harass the locals more easily. But I still kind of want to give him credit for improving. 

- Derick's hair looks way better on video.

- Jill's hair is phenomenal. 

- Izzy is completely adorable. He seems like a really curious little guy.

29 minutes ago, karen77 said:

http://www.people.com/article/jill-duggar-dillard-gets-coy-after-pregnancy-question

Jill is being coy about the pregnancy question.....

Seriously. Is anybody surprised? I'm still waiting for the Anna pregnancy shoe to drop. Michelle has got to be takin' gas by now.

12 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Seriously. Is anybody surprised? I'm still waiting for the Anna pregnancy shoe to drop. Michelle has got to be takin' gas by now.

Anna needs to hold out another month or so.  Remember, the goal is for ALL FOUR girls (Anna, Jill, Jessa, Jinger) to stand in a line at christmas and smile about their bellies.

Im thinking that Jill and Derrick are aiming to conceive while they're in the states, I don't think they're dumb enough to try while in Central America. 

But I did love that video, Jill and Derick are my favourite couple, they actually seem in love and they goals and desires align. I just see Jessa and Ben as mutually fame hungry and the jury's still out on Jinger and Jeremy.

Jill will definitely be the next pregnant, I don't think we'll see Anna pregnant for a long long time. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived