IGNORED

Michael and Brandon Keilen

SpoonfulOSugar

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't necessarily mean she isn't already pregnant. But, if she's not, I am sad for her because publicly, it seems like she really wants to be a mom.

Their entire brand is about popping out as many babies as possible, so it isn't surprising people constantly ask her. It is rude, yes, but there is a high cost when you sell your life as entertainment. If she is struggling to get pregnant I feel sympathy that she is dealing with such a challenge, but at the same time, no child deserves the ATI/fundie lifestyle. And seeing that this lifestyle doesn't always work, might be the best thing for Micheal and Brandon. 

On October 19, 2016 at 2:42 AM, actuallyjessica said:

It doesn't necessarily mean she isn't already pregnant. But, if she's not, I am sad for her because publicly, it seems like she really wants to be a mom.

Another more explicit confirmation that she isn't pregnant, again per Instagram comments: 

http://19kidsandloving.tumblr.com/post/152040347250/keepingupwithfundies-and-also-there-is-an

Michael really got the short end of the stick in that family. Oldest girl, so probably the most sister momming, had to stick around the house FOREVER waiting for Brandon while her younger sisters got to fly the coop and start their own lives, and now she's struggling with this. Talk about a bummer. 

I felt SO SORRY for her watching the last episode.  It seems especially cruel to highlight her love for children/desire for children if she is having difficulty conceiving.  I don't have much love for their lifestyle, but I do have empathy for her.  Wanting a child and watching the rest of the world have children while you are repeatedly disappointed is heartbreaking. 

While it is tough to go through infertility, it's something millions of people deal with. They are lucky they live in a day and age where they can seek help.

I do think it will teach fundies a thing or two. I bet Gil and Kelly never would have thought this could happen to their special godly kids.

34 minutes ago, faraway said:

While it is tough to go through infertility, it's something millions of people deal with. They are lucky they live in a day and age where they can seek help.

I do think it will teach fundies a thing or two. I bet Gil and Kelly never would have thought this could happen to their special godly kids.

Are fundies allowed to seek treatment for infertility? Seems to me like it would smack of "playing God." I can understand someone like Erin getting help, because she didn't have an actual problem GETTING pregnant, she had a problem SUSTAINING a pregnancy, so in her case the doctors are just helping an already existing life to survive. But it would seem that going to doctors to create a life would be going against God's plan- I mean if God wanted her to get pregnant she would, right? Their beliefs say they want as many children as God will give them, so it should also count if that number is 0.

In any case, I also agree that if they are struggling to get pregnant, it would be pretty insensitive for the producers to highlight her obsession with Kaci and have everybody talk about how much she loves babies.

29 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Are fundies allowed to seek treatment for infertility? Seems to me like it would smack of "playing God." I can understand someone like Erin getting help, because she didn't have an actual problem GETTING pregnant, she had a problem SUSTAINING a pregnancy, so in her case the doctors are just helping an already existing life to survive. But it would seem that going to doctors to create a life would be going against God's plan- I mean if God wanted her to get pregnant she would, right? Their beliefs say they want as many children as God will give them, so it should also count if that number is 0.

In any case, I also agree that if they are struggling to get pregnant, it would be pretty insensitive for the producers to highlight her obsession with Kaci and have everybody talk about how much she loves babies.

I know that they can't do IVF because of the embryos would be considered children and murder or abortion or something. 

I honestly don't care if they would seek treatment or not. What matters is they COULD and thankfully many people can be helped. If they choose not to because they belong to the very special fundie species and deal with the consequences that's fine with me. But I bet they'd eventually bend the rules because earthly happiness matters to them more than they like to admit.

What I would like to know though is, if a fundie man would provide a sperm sample. I just can't picture it. :my_biggrin:

I saw on tumblr that Michael again answered that she isn't pregnant. I'm annoyed that people keep asking her. It's been over a year obviously she wants children, let her be and allow herself to tell her own story.

6 hours ago, faraway said:

I honestly don't care if they would seek treatment or not. What matters is they COULD and thankfully many people can be helped. If they choose not to because they belong to the very special fundie species and deal with the consequences that's fine with me. But I bet they'd eventually bend the rules because earthly happiness matters to them more than they like to admit.

What I would like to know though is, if a fundie man would provide a sperm sample. I just can't picture it. :my_biggrin:

Hahaha likely not. Not sure I would want to picture it either. that would be....interesting? 

The sperm sample can be collected via sex with a special condom. My husband noticed this was written down while we were at our fertility clinic.

12 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

I saw on tumblr that Michael again answered that she isn't pregnant. I'm annoyed that people keep asking her. It's been over a year obviously she wants children, let her be and allow herself to tell her own story.

I feel badly for them more than I would other Fundie couples. Mostly because the Keilens are relatively private people who don't share much of their lives with the general public. Yeah, they do choose to participate on the show and that's going to lead to questions... but I do think they've made it pretty clear that this is a subject they consider private and I wish that the leghumpers would respect that.

And I really think her parents did her a massive disservice by choosing to make their family life so public over the years. It makes it much tougher for any of the offspring to lead more private lives once they do marry and move out because people feel like they have a right to know what's going on with them - simply because they watched them grow up on the show or family blog.

I think Michael and Brandon need to pull an Alyssa and just shut down the public account. Even if it's just temporary. Might send a stronger message about not wanting to answer that type of questioning and it would give them a break from having to deal with it.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I feel badly for them more than I would other Fundie couples. Mostly because the Keilens are relatively private people who don't share much of their lives with the general public. Yeah, they do choose to participate on the show and that's going to lead to questions... but I do think they've made it pretty clear that this is a subject they consider private and I wish that the leghumpers would respect that.

And I really think her parents did her a massive disservice by choosing to make their family life so public over the years. It makes it much tougher for any of the offspring to lead more private lives once they do marry and move out because people feel like they have a right to know what's going on with them - simply because they watched them grow up on the show or family blog.

I think Michael and Brandon need to pull an Alyssa and just shut down the public account. Even if it's just temporary. Might send a stronger message about not wanting to answer that type of questioning and it would give them a break from having to deal with it.

Have they, though? I kind of think Michael is (involuntarily) egging the leghumpers on by continuing to answer the question of whether she's pregnant. I understand that she wasn't raised to stand up for herself, but I think it would already help if she just stopped reading and especially responding to these questions. If she continues to answers, people are going to continue asking.

I suspect Michael/a thinks she is being polite by answering the questions and does so for that reason even thought she'd rather not.

Just one tiny way the "keep sweet" culture causes problems in adulthood. 

I don't see Michael shutting down her account, especially b/c it looks like Alyssa just started hers up again (likely b/c her pregnancy will be a storyline).

I am sure the desperate need / want to have kids isn't helping the getting pregnant situation. She may have an Erin like situation OR maybe something much simpler. I know multiple people who struggled, did IVF or even adopted the first kid, and BAM they got pregnant on their own with the second so fast that the kids ended up being super close together. I also had a friend struggle for a year and then go gluten & dairy free and same thing. Nature is weird.

I'm kind of surprised Michael and Brandon have a public Instagram account - and that they're even on the show in the first place. They both strike me as private people, and putting your life out there on a TV programme, and then having public social media that fans of that show will find, isn't terribly private.

This isn't a judgement on them, because I think everyone has the right to decide what level of online/public sharing is right for them, but I do find it a bit odd. I wonder if Michael was pressured into signing a show contract when she was still living at home, and perhaps the Instagram is part of that? Or maybe they're chugging the Kool Aid and on the 'ministry' train so they figure the discomfort of people prying into their personal life is okay because it's for Jesus.

She is not at liberty to answer each time someone asks about her family plans though. And Instagram has this new feature where you can block certain terms in the comments, like "pregnant" or "expecting". So I think with her responses, they are little cries for help, IMO. I would message her, but I am not fundie so I doubt any of my experiences (and whether she shares them) would be too welcome. She seems less inclined to interact with worldly people.

She is not at liberty to answer each time someone asks about her family plans though. And Instagram has this new feature where you can block certain terms in the comments, like "pregnant" or "expecting". So I think with her responses, they are little cries for help, IMO. I would message her, but I am not fundie so I doubt any of my experiences (and whether she shares them) would be too welcome. She seems less inclined to interact with worldly people.

Really ? That's pretty clever

She always thanks people profusely when they say they'll be praying for her. Maybe she genuinely likes interacting with people in the comments and the extra prayers are a comfort to her. Who knows.

8 hours ago, alba said:

I'm kind of surprised Michael and Brandon have a public Instagram account - and that they're even on the show in the first place. They both strike me as private people, and putting your life out there on a TV programme, and then having public social media that fans of that show will find, isn't terribly private.

This isn't a judgement on them, because I think everyone has the right to decide what level of online/public sharing is right for them, but I do find it a bit odd. I wonder if Michael was pressured into signing a show contract when she was still living at home, and perhaps the Instagram is part of that? Or maybe they're chugging the Kool Aid and on the 'ministry' train so they figure the discomfort of people prying into their personal life is okay because it's for Jesus.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$- it's a great motivator.

On 10/23/2016 at 3:22 AM, SassyPants said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$- it's a great motivator.

And it doesn't even necessarily make someone money hungry.

I mean, the Bateseseseses are not the Kardashians. They are not making $1mil+ an episode. The amount they'd be getting is likely pretty modest for TV standards......but could be the difference between having to pay off a mortgage on Brandon's wage for the next 30 years or being able to buy home outright.

I can understand why someone who grew up "poor" (and Michael did grow up poor in that tiny cramped house wearing prarie dresses and teddy bear sweaters) would be willing to sacrifice some privacy for financial security, even if they are introverted. 

I can't edit my post, but yeah. Mr LBE and I both have -10000 desire to be famous (especially Kardashian level "I can't go anywhere without body guards" famous). Being unable to step outside my house in peace is my worst nightmare. 

But if you told us we'd be able to earn enough to buy a modest but nice house outright with enough left over to have some solid savings for the future in return for a public instagram account (and we could still have a private account separately if we wanted like Alyssa) and appearing on a few episodes of mine or his parents TV show which doesn't have wide enough viewership to make you a household name.........we'd at the very least seriously think about it. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived