IGNORED

Seventeen - Not the Magazine - Bateseseses Threads!

SpoonfulOSugar

There is an IBLP family conference going on in Sacramento this week. 

ETA: no luck in finding any pictures on instagram. But IBLP actually has a bit of a following in California. Explains Gil wearing a suit and what they are doing there. 

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

There is an IBLP family conference going on in Sacramento this week. 

ETA: no luck in finding any pictures on instagram. But IBLP actually has a bit of a following in California. Explains Gil wearing a suit and what they are doing there. 

http://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/sacramento-2016/

Yeah, I just checked the IBLP website (shudder) and Gil and Kelly are listed as speakers.

The video of them speaking is shown at every conference, but it looks like they are going to be live at this one. The entire Bates family is the poster children for IBLP

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

The video of them speaking is shown at every conference, but it looks like they are going to be live at this one. The entire Bates family is the poster children for IBLP

Ah that makes sense. I was so hopeful that I had actual, breaking Bates news to share! Back to the shadows I go, thanks for the replies and sleuthing!

1 minute ago, frugalhousewife said:

Ah that makes sense. I was so hopeful that I had actual, breaking Bates news to share! Back to the shadows I go, thanks for the replies and sleuthing!

Don't go! I hadn't noticed there was a conference this week until you pointed it out. I find it rather weird how this year there are barely any pictures of the conferences while in the past there have been more.

1 hour ago, frugalhousewife said:

Interesting...instagram does seem to be the first sign that these girls are a-courtin'

Pure speculation, of course, but I would be fascinated to watch a Bates girl marry a guy and move to Godless California. That would be a culture shift. Though there's a horrific baptist church located here where Steve Anderson occassionally preaches, so I'm sure they'd find like-minded people...

I never thought the Duggar Bates courtship connection was Jinger and Lawson.....I thought it was a Carlin/Joseph situation. it would explain why he went to school there and Carlin is young but now is 18.... as anna said in their world after, 18 a courtship could be 6 months away. It isn't Tori and I didn't think it was her in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph marries Carlin or even Josie. Josie would be a good match for him. But there are arguments for girls as possible brides for him. I feel that Erin said it was quite likely a bates would merry a Duggar. Maybe we won't have to wait for Mackenzie and Warden, or Jenny and Isaiah, Callie/ jackson, Jackson/ Johanna.... you get the point courtship. Some times I think about 20 years from now when all the Fundie families marry and procreate. The giant age gap leaves for generational overlap. It could be like those flds situations, where practically everyone in your sect has one of 10 last names. Sorry I like to speculate wildly at times but just picture how complicated and confusing the family tree could get. I wonder were they would draw the line with familial proximity 2nd cousins, 3rd as a potential spouse? It isn't uncommon for a Jessop to marry a Jessop, or barlow and barlow. That only took a little bit of time in an insular society. I mean minus the polygamy.....I think. I wrote a paper on the Christian polygamist movement. very interesting. clearly manipulative, but who know maybe josh will have poor anna in Xtian polygamy in 5 years.....:playful2:  In any case I feel Joseph may be there for a bates biding his time ( I mean I sure JB and Gil would be in on it) but just keeping it quiet. 

2 hours ago, Larry said:

http://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/sacramento-2016/

Yeah, I just checked the IBLP website (shudder) and Gil and Kelly are listed as speakers.

from the description : 

For those in the western part of the country, Sacramento in sunny California is the Family Conference to attend July 5 – July 8.  For the third year the conference will be held in the hospitable First Slavic Baptist Church, located in a nice suburban area. 

bc gothard's :special-snowflake1:s are too holy for the ebil urban areas.

9 hours ago, Dr. Fundie Stalker said:

In any case I feel Joseph may be there for a bates biding his time ( I mean I sure JB and Gil would be in on it) but just keeping it quiet. 

Thrown together now and then, so many of them times so many of them, stands to reason one or two might stick. What comes to mind for me is the convention Sookie Stackhouse attended in one of the earlier books by Charlaine Harris, in New Orleans, maybe, where the various werewolf and etc. people saw each other once a year and shored up their varying alliances. I never watched the show that was based on those books, and got bored when the series turned political, so am shaky on outcomes, but that's what it reminds me of. As a girl, I'd have had my eye on one or two of the boys in the other families I saw only a handful of times a year, for sure. And would have discussed this with my sisters, had I had any.

On 7/3/2016 at 8:48 PM, Exjw2015deed said:

Fair enough. Okay maybe then Bunim-Murray productions. Or even Ryan seacrest productions.

Disagree with this. Producers are at the mercy of the network. It really does not make a difference how big, especially with reality. Production companies just don't have unlimited options to where to sell the product.

Did anyone watch the little video in which Lawson met the young country singer, Emily Ann?  [She just graduated from a Knoxville high school last month, was a contestant on the Voice, and they were recording together in Nashville last week]

He talks about going to hear her perform in Knoxville's Market Square and they met and "exchanged numbers"--there is no mention of parents being present.

I'm just surprised that Gothard singles are allowed to go about exchanging phone #s with members of the opposite sex. I bet a Bates female wouldn't be allowed to do that.

http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/lawson-bates-reveals-how-he-met-the-voice-singer/

The Bates have always had different standards for their sons. No way Kelly would have proudly posted pictures of her daughters in revealing wet clothes like she did with her sons. I bet there would be no going to Sonic to find a husband either. 

33 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Did anyone watch the little video in which Lawson met the young country singer, Emily Ann?  [She just graduated from a Knoxville high school last month, was a contestant on the Voice, and they were recording together in Nashville last week]

He talks about going to hear her perform in Knoxville's Market Square and they met and "exchanged numbers"--there is no mention of parents being present.

I'm just surprised that Gothard singles are allowed to go about exchanging phone #s with members of the opposite sex. I bet a Bates female wouldn't be allowed to do that.

http://uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/lawson-bates-reveals-how-he-met-the-voice-singer/

I am sure there was an accountability partner in the shadows somewhere....

3 minutes ago, JMO said:

Did anyone watch last week's episode? What was it about?

Visit the "Nathan (WAS) Courting Ashley" thread.  Notice the change in verb tense?

45 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I am sure there was an accountability partner in the shadows somewhere....

Undoubtedly.  Actually in that clip he said Trace was there too.  Like old-fashioned nuns they travel in pairs.

For those watching this more closely, has Lawson written and performed any original songs?

I have my doubts about him making it as a country singer even with the BUB show getting him publicity.  He has quite a pleasant voice and can strum a guitar a little - but he's no better than many amateurs and not as good as some.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

So is this being set up as the beginning of a "special friendship" between the two of them, or is it truly just a business relationship? 

53 minutes ago, JMO said:

@HereticHick I saw that one. That was two Thursdays ago. What was the episode from 6/30 about? 

It definitely was the episode with the Nathan/Ashley split in it. It also had a little about Lawson's music in Nashville and I think Gil ran over Judson's bike.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Undoubtedly.  Actually in that clip he said Trace was there too.  Like old-fashioned nuns they travel in pairs.

For those watching this more closely, has Lawson written and performed any original songs?

I have my doubts about him making it as a country singer even with the BUB show getting him publicity.  He has quite a pleasant voice and can strum a guitar a little - but he's no better than many amateurs and not as good as some.

I believe think he's only recorded 2 songs sold on iTunes--"I Will Always" and "The End Down Here",  and he wrote both of them.  But I agree-- just being "pleasant" isn't enough to make it in Nashville. Although allegedly he finally going on tour, this fall. About damn time.

Emily Ann Roberts, by the way, is only 17.  And her performing outfits don't really meet Bateseseses modesty standards. She also wears bikinis on her Instagram:

21 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I believe think he's only recorded 2 songs sold on iTunes--"I Will Always" and "The End Down Here",  and he wrote both of them.  But I agree-- just being "pleasant" isn't enough to make it in Nashville. Although allegedly he finally going on tour, this fall. About damn time.

Emily Ann Roberts, by the way, is only 17.  And her performing outfits don't really meet Bateseseses modesty standards. She also wears bikinis on her Instagram:

Gil and Kelly DGAF if this girl is immodest. As long as she gets their son some publicity she could wear a bra top a daisy dukes.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Gil and Kelly DGAF if this girl is immodest. As long as she gets their son some publicity she could wear a bra top a daisy dukes.

I wonder if they would be okay with a courtship just for publicities sake... Or even a real courtship with her. They end to have a double standard for the boys but I don't know if that double standard would stretch to the girls they court. 

There was a picture on Lawson's Instagram not too long ago of Lawson, Josie (or Katie)  and Emily Ann at some castle.  Lots of comments about who Emily Ann was and someone said she had a boyfriend.  But its interesting that she was out and about with Lawson and Josie somewhere that had nothing to do with country music. 

That was actually a recording studio in Franklin, TN (Castle Studios).  Franklin is a hair south of Nashville, and there are tons of recording studios here.

OMG! I would never post on social media that a young girl needs a bra. I wouldn't even tell my sister or friends that. That's crossing the line.

11 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

OMG! I would never post on social media that a young girl needs a bra. I wouldn't even tell my sister or friends that. That's crossing the line.

Yeah. I could understand if an Aunt or loving female relative were to mention it to her mother privately or something... But someone's public Instagram page is definitely not the time or place for that. These fans seem to have little to no boundaries. It's a bit scary.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived