IGNORED

Seventeen - Not the Magazine - Bateseseses Threads!

SpoonfulOSugar

3 hours ago, PianoPounder said:

I can't knock the sleeves, especially for Callie. We are definitely not fundie, but my boys (2 & 4) wear swim trunks with t-shirt style rash guards. Extra protection from the sun on their fair skin!

(I'm pretty sure the quoting is completely off on this, but I'm tired of messing with it,  I don't care.)

I hadn't really thought of the sun protection aspect. That's certainly positive. But in general, I feel they could do modest sleeveless tops and things, like in the swimwear I linked to.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

As I passed my middle 40s and gained some weight, I was real worried about how I looked at the beach, and ended up covering up complexly until I saw a woman about 10 years younger than me and a good 30 or so pounds heavier, I'm no judge of that, having the best time ever pretty much, running around in a bikini. Woke me up. I was there to enjoy the water, not worry about what I had on. 

When I started taking water aerobics, I was terrified of what people would think. I am not a small woman. I found a swimdress that covers my upper thighs, but shows more than I'd like. I vacillated for a month, but finally decided to just go for it. Well, nobody cared what I was wearing. There were women who were super-skinny and women who were on the north side of 400 pounds. Everybody was there to feel better and get healthier. That gave me the courage to start wearing a more conventional swimsuit. Do I love my thighs now? NO! Do I let that stop me? No!

1 minute ago, GreyhoundFan said:

When I started taking water aerobics, I was terrified of what people would think. I am not a small woman. I found a swimdress that covers my upper thighs, but shows more than I'd like. I vacillated for a month, but finally decided to just go for it. Well, nobody cared what I was wearing. There were women who were super-skinny and women who were on the north side of 400 pounds. Everybody was there to feel better and get healthier. That gave me the courage to start wearing a more conventional swimsuit. Do I love my thighs now? NO! Do I let that stop me? No!

I hate the way I look in pictures.. But I realized that when there's a picture of a group of people, everybody just looks at themselves, and doesn't really care about how I look :P that made me embrace myself in a devil may care attitude :) 

Every time we mention the idea of them opening up a store called "Cherin" I laugh. We have a similar place in the Bay Area and I've seen their trucks driving around for as long as I can remember. Always cracks me up to think of Chad driving around in TN in a truck with the name Cherin on the side. 

image.jpeg

I've lived in the East Bay my entire life and never heard of Cherin's, so I googled it. Tartine's isn't far away; I may have to go have a look, just for shits and giggles. 

13 hours ago, JillyO said:

WTF? Callie's skirt does NOT look like something a little girl (or anyone) should swim in. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

It look ridiculous. She's a little bitty girl. Couldn't they just leave that horrible skirt off? The 2 visiting girls are just in T-shits & shorts and they look perfectly modest.

I think it is interesting a fair number of people have the impression Michaela views herself as being more faithful than Erin. I have long thought Erin of the girls was the most faithful. In old blogs Kelly specifically mentioned Erin "purposing" to read the entire Bible yet again that year. As far as Gil's board involvement does anyone know when a decision might be made in the lawsuit.

13 hours ago, PianoPounder said:

I can't knock the sleeves, especially for Callie. We are definitely not fundie, but my boys (2 & 4) wear swim trunks with t-shirt style rash guards. Extra protection from the sun on their fair skin!

(I'm pretty sure the quoting is completely off on this, but I'm tired of messing with it,  I don't care.)

The sleevees are not the problem, it's the skirt. Long wet skirt distubs from swimming and can cause  drowning, specially in a lake where you can be  trapped with branches or whatever. Plus obviously when the girl goes off the water with a wet long shirt, she can easily fall.

7 hours ago, infooverload said:

I think it is interesting a fair number of people have the impression Michaela views herself as being more faithful than Erin. I have long thought Erin of the girls was the most faithful. In old blogs Kelly specifically mentioned Erin "purposing" to read the entire Bible yet again that year. As far as Gil's board involvement does anyone know when a decision might be made in the lawsuit.

No.  There has been a pause in the law suit in order for the Plaintiffs to get a new lead attorney but it is still going forward as far as we know.  The judge would allow them time to regroup.

David Gibbs III, may his name live in infamy, was disqualified from the case a couple of months ago.  The fucking fucker was trying to play both sides.  More info here but you may have to go back a couple of pages:

On 7/14/2016 at 9:51 PM, PianoPounder said:

Carlin pulled a Callie this week and made a reference to how the Bateses don't like to work. She and Tori were talking about how hard-working Chad is, and she said something along the lines of "He is DEFINITELY not blood related!" and laughed.

I almost choked laughing at that. Truer words have never been spoken on this show.

Gil: Names have meaning, they're just so important.

Then we have the travesty of Michal/Michael/Michaela/Michaella over here...

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

The sleevees are not the problem, it's the skirt. Long wet skirt distubs from swimming and can cause  drowning, specially in a lake where you can be  trapped with branches or whatever. Plus obviously when the girl goes off the water with a wet long shirt, she can easily fall.

I wasn't saying they were a problem, just that a person could still be modest but a bit more comfortable in full shoulder coverage without sleeves. That long cotton dress is another problem; there's a reason swimsuit fabric is a thing. Anyone who's ever hung clothes out to dry should understand the difference in how fabrics absorb and retain moisture.

Here are some of the best quotes from Thursday's episode according to Twitter:

“We just haven’t found anybody that treasures our junk yet”- Lawson

“There’s one tradition that has got to stop, and that’s not finishing projects” -Lawson

Who knew Lawson was a shopaholic? He has 54 pairs of shoes/boots. He needs a walk-in closet.

Up has posted some of the best quotes so far:

“If you don’t have big dreams, you’ll never go anywhere in life.” – Tori

“Popsicles and Band-Aids are the universal fix for any problem.” – Gil

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” – Gil

“I don’t know what’s in the future, but I know Who holds the future… and I’m looking forward to what He’s going to deliver.” – Gil

“Duct tape is always important.” – Nathan

“Brandon was smart to bring candy, but he would have been smarter to bring earplugs.” – Lawson

“Give me some balloons to blow up. I’ve got a lot of hot air.” – Gil

“Brandon asked ‘what can I do to help’– that’s always a wise thing if you’re wanting to be a son-in-law.” – Gil

“What’s an average size family? Average for me growing up was a new kid every year.” – Zach

“It was only 100 people plus our family. We weren’t worried. Worst case, we had a giant jar of pickles.” – Tori

http://uptv.com/blog/bringing-up-bates-blog/bates-blog-10-wisdom-and-wit-quotes/

Regarding the little girls wearing their swim outfits. I have no problem with Addee and Ellie's outfits. Callie shouldn't be wearing that skirt because it is not made out of swim material. I wear a long sleeve rash guard and swim leggings only for sun protection. I call it a pale person's problem. I have already been cut on several times by the dermatologist. I even have sun gloves. I own some swim leggings that automatically come with a skirt attached. Remember, not everyone wears these swim outfits for religious reasons

13 hours ago, Purrl said:

It look ridiculous. She's a little bitty girl. Couldn't they just leave that horrible skirt off? The 2 visiting girls are just in T-shits & shorts and they look perfectly modest.

I totally agree! Rash guard swim shirts and swim shorts are super common these days. You can even buy long swim trunks that go to their knees. You can find them at any store! I don't understand this obsession with skirts. Even when it makes what you're doing completely impractical. 

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I completely agree that the skirt is not appropriate swimwear. Another poster said she wishes they'd do sleeveless tops for swimming, and I was just explaining why I thought the sleeves are appropriate.

13 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I wasn't saying they were a problem, just that a person could still be modest but a bit more comfortable in full shoulder coverage without sleeves. That long cotton dress is another problem; there's a reason swimsuit fabric is a thing. Anyone who's ever hung clothes out to dry should understand the difference in how fabrics absorb and retain moisture.

In the movie Thrill of a Romance, the plaid flannel swimsuit that Esther Williams was wearing got waterlogged and pulled her to the bottom of the pool in one scene.  She had to unzip the suit and swim to the surface nude or else she would have drowned.  I've seen the film several times and never noticed that she surfaces sans suit.  She helped introduce Lycra swimsuits and talked to the Secretary of the Navy about the ill-fitting cotton swimsuits that WAVES (old term for women in the Navy) had to wear.  The Navy immediately ordered 50,000 lycra suits for the women after Esther's presentation.

14 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Here are some of the best quotes from Thursday's episode according to Twitter:

Who knew Lawson was a shopaholic? He has 54 pairs of shoes/boots. He needs a walk-in closet.

Up has posted some of the best quotes so far:

Regarding the little girls wearing their swim outfits. I have no problem with Addee and Ellie's outfits. Callie shouldn't be wearing that skirt because it is not made out of swim material. I wear a long sleeve rash guard and swim leggings only for sun protection. I call it a pale person's problem. I have already been cut on several times by the dermatologist. I even have sun gloves. I own some swim leggings that automatically come with a skirt attached. Remember, not everyone wears these swim outfits for religious reasons

Lawson is such a metrosexual cowboy diva! If he wants to keep all fiftyeleventy pairs of boots, then he should move into his own house. He is a grown man, not a 15-year-old!

As for the swimwear, it looks to me more like they're going boating.

16 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Yes! I may be half Latina, but I've inherited my father's pale burn-prone German skin and as a kid, my parents always had me in rash vests as well and we definitely don't care about 'modesty' in my family. Now that I'm older, I just generally stay away from the beach. It's not a lot of fun with contact lenses (can't wear them in the water and dusty sand and contacts are a horrible combination as a rule) and fair skin. I'll go eat or shop while others swim haha. 

(We don't really have lakes where I live and or where I grew up, so not really a thing in my family). 

1 hour ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Lawson is such a metrosexual cowboy diva! If he wants to keep all fiftyeleventy pairs of boots, then he should move into his own house. He is a grown man, not a 15-year-old!

As for the swimwear, it looks to me more like they're going boating.

He can't move into his own house......he might actually have sex in it!!!11

The horror of a 24 year old man having sex in his own house, I know.....

7 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

To the bolded, IMHO this is exactly why Lawson and other young men in similar situations aren't allowed to live in their own homes.  Mommy and Daddy must keep tabs until they are married and make sure they don't "misbehave".    Never mind they are grown ass adults. Any other reasons given for why they "choose" to remain at home is complete BS. 

2 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

To the bolded, IMHO this is exactly why Lawson and other young men in similar situations aren't allowed to live in their own homes.  Mommy and Daddy must keep tabs until they are married and make sure they don't "misbehave".    Never mind they are grown ass adults. Any other reasons given for why they "choose" to remain at home is complete BS. 

Which is why I'm always baffled when some people here insist that JD Duggar lives on his own. :confused2:

They say this in the face of JD saying on the show that he still lives at home also.

10 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Lawson is 24?????? I looked it up because I just could not believe it. He's 23, but will be 24 on the 27th. That just seriously blows my mind. I don't know why I thought he was so much younger than that, but I did. I just did not expect him to be so close to my age. I haven't been following the Bateses for as long as I've been following the Duggars, but I don't know why I never looked up their ages before. 

I thought he was younger too. I can't imagine being 24 and being forced to live under the strict rule of your parents. Lawson isn't there to care for his parents or save money for grad school, as others do, he's there because Mom and Dad don't want him to stray.

51 minutes ago, season of life said:

I thought he was younger too. I can't imagine being 24 and being forced to live under the strict rule of your parents. Lawson isn't there to care for his parents or save money for grad school, as others do, he's there because Mom and Dad don't want him to stray.

Yeah, I lived at home for about a year between China and grad school to save up for grad school, and I did live by my parents' rules (all of which were very reasonable, though my mom is a lot more anal-retentive about neatness than I am), but they didn't give a crap what I did with my personal life as long as the house was clean, I was safe, and whatever I was doing was legal.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived