IGNORED

Seventeen - Not the Magazine - Bateseseses Threads!

SpoonfulOSugar

There is a new Bates blog header. In the newest blog entry, Erin laughingly says she may only have 2 kids. I hope she genuinely meant it.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Yeah, I lived at home for about a year between China and grad school to save up for grad school, and I did live by my parents' rules (all of which were very reasonable, though my mom is a lot more anal-retentive about neatness than I am), but they didn't give a crap what I did with my personal life as long as the house was clean, I was safe, and whatever I was doing was legal.

This was the issue for me as well as my sisters, though they lived under my parents' roof far longer than I did: my parents were very caught up with our personal lives and what we may be doing with men/boyfriends.  There was no way to have any sort of real privacy in terms of sex or reproductive health care.   I got out early, though I got married, even before that, I realized that I would have to move out in order to carry on any adult private life.

ETA: the house was clean, we were safe and we didn't do anything illegal as far as I know, can't speak for my sisters but can speak for myself.  And yet, my parents were still caught up with our private lives.   They were very big on "our house, our rules" which was fine to a point, but they went too far with it.  My one sister had a real challenge to keep things under wraps when she underwent treatment for an STD.

4 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Which is why I'm always baffled when some people here insist that JD Duggar lives on his own. :confused2:

I have never believed he lived on his own.  Though I do believe he does whatever he can to spend as little time as he can under his parents' roof such as flying, working, etc.

14 minutes ago, season of life said:

There is a new Bates blog header. In the newest blog entry, Erin laughingly says she may only have 2 kids. I hope she genuinely meant it.

Please note that is the FAN blog not the Bates family blog.  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

This was the issue for me as well as my sisters, though they lived under my parents' roof far longer than I did: my parents were very caught up with our personal lives and what we may be doing with men/boyfriends.  There was no way to have any sort of real privacy in terms of sex or reproductive health care.   I got out early, though I got married, even before that, I realized that I would have to move out in order to carry on any adult private life.

ETA: the house was clean, we were safe and we didn't do anything illegal as far as I know, can't speak for my sisters but can speak for myself.  And yet, my parents were still caught up with our private lives.   They were very big on "our house, our rules" which was fine to a point, but they went too far with it.  My one sister had a real challenge to keep things under wraps when she underwent treatment for an STD.

I have never believed he lived on his own.  Though I do believe he does whatever he can to spend as little time as he can under his parents' roof such as flying, working, etc.

This was my number one reason why I was pretty thrilled to be moving out, as much as I love my parents and as awesome as it was to live in a nice house with no rent, mostly free food (though I chipped in for groceries/booze and cooked meals a lot), and a puppy. Had to tell my parents if I was going to stay in the city to go on a date so they wouldn't worry, had to make sure mom and dad weren't home if I wanted to enjoy sweet sweet fellowship at my house (they didn't care and I did all my own laundry, but AWKWARD), and I very swiftly found out how true to life Do It On My Twin Bed is. I'm very lucky that my parents are super open-minded and as I said, didn't care what I did as long as I didn't make a mess or put myself in danger, but when you're 23 and want to do 23-year-old things, it's hard to do that when you live with your parents. I'm moving back to the States next month, and I tentatively have a place lined up, so hopefully, it'll be a week and change at home to see my family and get everything sorted out with employment and such, and then hooray! My own big-girl house! ....Well, apartment that I share with two other girls!

2 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=628708027297115&id=376638502504070&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.umblr.com%2F&_rdr

This is the link to the video of Erin saying she's probably only have two children. We ll see. Also Kelly says her belly is black and blue from the twice a day injections. 

Love Kelly's sage advice about "learning to talk good about people". Like something out of Zoolander.

4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

This was my number one reason why I was pretty thrilled to be moving out, as much as I love my parents and as awesome as it was to live in a nice house with no rent, mostly free food (though I chipped in for groceries/booze and cooked meals a lot), and a puppy. Had to tell my parents if I was going to stay in the city to go on a date so they wouldn't worry, had to make sure mom and dad weren't home if I wanted to enjoy sweet sweet fellowship at my house (they didn't care and I did all my own laundry, but AWKWARD), and I very swiftly found out how true to life Do It On My Twin Bed is. I'm very lucky that my parents are super open-minded and as I said, didn't care what I did as long as I didn't make a mess or put myself in danger, but when you're 23 and want to do 23-year-old things, it's hard to do that when you live with your parents. I'm moving back to the States next month, and I tentatively have a place lined up, so hopefully, it'll be a week and change at home to see my family and get everything sorted out with employment and such, and then hooray! My own big-girl house! ....Well, apartment that I share with two other girls!

I have to say I am rather envious, if even after the fact, of those here who had (and have) open minded parents regarding what goes on in their private lives and also are willing to respect that privacy as young adults.   My folks, as much as I loved them, had some real hangups about sex and virginity and also were too concerned about what other people thought.    As if it would be anyone else's business, but they were too afraid about other people talking about their daughters and our "reputation".  

BTW, I managed to lose my virginity while living under their own roof anyway, but I always made sure I returned home after a date, no overnights, and I sure as hell made sure I had my birth control.  It must have worked because two days before I got married, my mom decided to sit me down and tell me what to expect on my wedding night, I kid you not.  Had no heart to tell her that I already was in possession of all the facts, so to speak.

3 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I have to say I am rather envious, if even after the fact, of those here who had (and have) open minded parents regarding what goes on in their private lives and also are willing to respect that privacy as young adults.   My folks, as much as I loved them, had some real hangups about sex and virginity and also were too concerned about what other people thought.    As if it would be anyone else's business, but they were too afraid about other people talking about their daughters and our "reputation".  

BTW, I managed to lose my virginity while living under their own roof anyway, but I always made sure I returned home after a date, no overnights, and I sure as hell made sure I had my birth control.  It must have worked because two days before I got married, my mom decided to sit me down and tell me what to expect on my wedding night, I kid you not.  Had no heart to tell her that I already was in possession of all the facts, so to speak.

When I was 18 or so, my dad watched a documentary about purity balls and jokingly said to me, "I should take you to one of those purity balls, sounds like fun." Without totally thinking things through, I replied, "I dunno, Dad, that ship's kinda sailed."

He was pretty chill about it; he just told me to avoid getting pregnant. In fact, his reaction to my sister coming out was "oh, good, now I don't have to worry about some guy knocking you up."

On 7/15/2016 at 4:28 PM, PianoPounder said:

I can't knock the sleeves, especially for Callie. We are definitely not fundie, but my boys (2 & 4) wear swim trunks with t-shirt style rash guards. Extra protection from the sun on their fair skin!

(I'm pretty sure the quoting is completely off on this, but I'm tired of messing with it,  I don't care.)

Yeah.  My 9 year old has an athiest father and a Cafeteria Catholic mother (we are divorced,obvs), and she still wears rash guards.  Over her bikinis.  But whatever. 

11 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=628708027297115&id=376638502504070&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.umblr.com%2F&_rdr

This is the link to the video of Erin saying she's probably only have two children. We ll see. Also Kelly says her belly is black and blue from the twice a day injections. 

I didn't hear that - can you point to the exact spot?  Around the 6 minute mark in answer to, "Are you going to have 19 children?"  Erin says, "No.  I'm not even going to try!"  Well, Hallelujah.  You do have to try - and be remarkably fertile - to get to 19 children.

The Bateses interrupting and talking all over each other is very annoying. 

47 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I didn't hear that - can you point to the exact spot?  Around the 6 minute mark in answer to, "Are you going to have 19 children?"  Erin says, "No.  I'm not even going to try!"  Well, Hallelujah.  You do have to try - and be remarkably fertile - to get to 19 children.

Not to mention that they could still have more than two kids if she and Chad don't take serious precautions to avoid another pregnancy. If they were actually trying to avoid last time... Then they really need to either try harder or find another method that actually works for them.

Skip to the end of the video. It's right around there.

What I found most interesting about that was when Erin read the question and Kelly seemed to move over in a way like she was surprised or concerned or something, and said "oh!" and then Erin said "just 2" but the way she said it could be deciphered in the way most heavily pregnant moms answer questions about future children. Especially if the pregnancies and/or deliveries have been difficult.

Given what we know (or think we know) about the family and their faith, I doubt they would take any serious measures to prevent further pregnancies but you never know how seriously they are taking Erin's condition. I hope they can find peace in whichever decisions they make, because I'm guessing neither sides of those decisions would be easy to make, and that's without adding faith into the mix.

2 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

the way she said it could be deciphered in the way most heavily pregnant moms answer questions about future children. Especially if the pregnancies and/or deliveries have been difficult.

That's the way I understood it too, and the way Kelly was laughing along as she said it strengthened this impression.

14 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

Skip to the end of the video. It's right around there.

What I found most interesting about that was when Erin read the question and Kelly seemed to move over in a way like she was surprised or concerned or something, and said "oh!" and then Erin said "just 2" but the way she said it could be deciphered in the way most heavily pregnant moms answer questions about future children. Especially if the pregnancies and/or deliveries have been difficult.

Given what we know (or think we know) about the family and their faith, I doubt they would take any serious measures to prevent further pregnancies but you never know how seriously they are taking Erin's condition. I hope they can find peace in whichever decisions they make, because I'm guessing neither sides of those decisions would be easy to make, and that's without adding faith into the mix.

You are quite correct.  At 10:14 Erin says, "I think two?" in a questioning tone - and Nathan butts in and says, "She's gonna to have 25!"  Much laughter.  The Kelly changes the subject quickly to people wanting to pray for the family.

I sincerely hope they are taking Erin's condition seriously. Perhaps they'll decide that God has given them a message that he'd appreciate some help planning how many children they have.  

It seems to me they were joking about how many kids Erin will have a Kelly seemed to make light of Nathan's break up. So yeah. They are sensitive parents...

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It seems to me they were joking about how many kids Erin will have a Kelly seemed to make light of Nathan's break up. So yeah. They are sensitive parents...

Well, it's OK to make fun of Nathan's breakup because he didn't give away any pieces of his heart, so it's not a big deal!  Remember that this is how courtship "protects" godly offspring from the pain of heartache!  

Now if Nathan had been DATING Ashley this would have been tough.  But it's courtship, so it's fine.  :my_rolleyes:

It appears that the family has purchased a new large sectional sofa in black. You can also see that the family has a fairly large TV in the back of the photo. Wonder if they purchased it from Rent A Center since Zach purchased his sofa there and the company is running ads on the show. Do they put the TV away during filming? Also, one of the commenters stated the following, "For those wondering about the badge, Lawson is a reserve deputy for the Anderson County Sheriff's Department. At least that's what it says on the family website. :)" The Bates Family could be the entire police force in a couple of years.

The below photos are from Tumblr:

Spoiler

tumblr_oae2jmpAFY1tl94kio1_500.jpg

tumblr_oae2jmpAFY1tl94kio7_500.jpg

tumblr_oae2jmpAFY1tl94kio3_500.jpg

tumblr_oae2jmpAFY1tl94kio5_500.jpg

Kelly really wants her children to marry. Wonder who will be the next to court? I know that their cousins were in the musical Alice in Wonderland, but I was surprised that the family went given dancing in musicals.

I actually like that picture of Lawson and Kaci.  She's so tiny and adorable loving the pants or is that leg warmers?  What does Lawson's reserve job entail?  Didn't one of Jeb or Jud say Lawson had a girlfriend?  I can't see him being next to marry but I guess he could

4 hours ago, accountingstar said:

It appears that the family has purchased a new large sectional sofa in black. You can also see that the family has a fairly large TV in the back of the photo. Wonder if they purchased it from Rent A Center since Zach purchased his sofa there and the company is running ads on the show. Do they put the TV away during filming? Also, one of the commenters stated the following, "For those wondering about the badge, Lawson is a reserve deputy for the Anderson County Sheriff's Department. At least that's what it says on the family website. :)" The Bates Family could be the entire police force in a couple of years.

You just know Lawson made sure that his badge was on show... He screams typical college d-bag.

I actually like Kaci's outfit here, Zach and Whitney have been making some really good fashion choices lately.

5 hours ago, accountingstar said:

I just feel like every picture Lawson takes has an unspoken but understood, "Ladies," tone to it. Queue some Careless Whisper and say in your deepest man voice, "You liked the one where I was posing muddily with my brother? Get a load of me staring afar off while feeding this baby...ladies. And if that isn't too much for you, do take the time to notice my shiny badge that I most definitely didn't pull my shirt back so you could appreciate...ladies." 

1 hour ago, lizzybee said:

I just feel like every picture Lawson takes has an unspoken but understood, "Ladies," tone to it. Queue some Careless Whisper and say in your deepest man voice, "You liked the one where I was posing muddily with my brother? Get a load of me staring afar off while feeding this baby...ladies. And if that isn't too much for you, do take the time to notice my shiny badge that I most definitely didn't pull my shirt back so you could appreciate...ladies." 

Hah! So true. I do suspect that might have been direction on the part of whoever took the picture, as the shirt would tend to ride up there, anyway. Just so far, but not enticingly farther, but on an 11 inch screen, the whole picture isn't viewable at once, so I get either adorable newborn held in strong arm, or snug-fitting jeans to choose from, so,

Sadly, it more directly screams, "This Godly young man will be a wonderful father, and righteous headship to a certain special modest young woman; see more about him at IFBChristianMingle..."

7 hours ago, accountingstar said:

It appears that the family has purchased a new large sectional sofa in black. You can also see that the family has a fairly large TV in the back of the photo. Wonder if they purchased it from Rent A Center since Zach purchased his sofa there and the company is running ads on the show. Do they put the TV away during filming? Also, one of the commenters stated the following, "For those wondering about the badge, Lawson is a reserve deputy for the Anderson County Sheriff's Department. At least that's what it says on the family website. " The Bates Family could be the entire police force in a couple of years.

The below photos are from Tumblr:

Hide contents

tumblr_oae2jmpAFY1tl94kio1_500.jpg

tumblr_oae2jmpAFY1tl94kio7_500.jpg

tumblr_oae2jmpAFY1tl94kio3_500.jpg

tumblr_oae2jmpAFY1tl94kio5_500.jpg

Kelly really wants her children to marry. Wonder who will be the next to court? I know that their cousins were in the musical Alice in Wonderland, but I was surprised that the family went given dancing in musicals.

Did you all notice who answered the question about Lawson on IG? Creepy Becky. I bet she knows EVERYTHING about Lawson. 

2 hours ago, lizzybee said:

You are so right @lizzybee. 20 whatever year old fundie man standing bottle-feeding a baby while gazing thoughtfully and handsomely into the distance. Hah! Couldn't be more staged.

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Did you all notice who answered the question about Lawson on IG? Creepy Becky. I bet she knows EVERYTHING about Lawson. 

I have seen her mentioned here a number of times. Do we know if the Bates ever interacted with her? Probably they wouldn't say, though. She's maybe like the one at the high school class reunion passing out nametags, and she hired a magician for after the buffet, keeping people trapped at their tables watching someone get hypnotized when they really just want to go find the hotel bar, or dance. And we didn't tell her about the afterparty in a room someone rented.

She seems generally innocent like that, but I wonder how many of the people these TV families encounter are actually scary stalkerish. Like, "Play Misty For Me." It's a sad thought.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived