IGNORED

Tori Bates Courtship- Part 2

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I have a slutty bird feeder.

It accommodates 24/7.

It is non-discriminating - it is open to anyone.

The squirrels take it from the top, the doves from the bottom, and some of the birds prefer it sideways.

It's always needing to be filled.

The only good thing I can say is - except for the small ones - it works best one at a time . . . . 

You just won the internets...my hat is off to you!

:clapping::bow-blue:

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Hmm.  I was thinking of exposing @nelliebelle1197's deepest darkest scandalous secret.

Hide contents

She's actually a really nice person! 

:romance-lovegoddess::romance-lovegoddess::romance-lovegoddess:

#superficial twit.

Worst kept secret ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On July 13, 2016 at 2:54 PM, formergothardite said:

@LawsonBatesEgo, Alyssa isn't your average Christian posting Bible verses and then having sex outside of marriage. Alyssa is promoting the idea that a hate group is normal and nice. She is making money doing this. I wouldn't compare her to an average person who cherry picks what is convenient. 

I see no evidence that she or any of her siblings have left the cult. But I also see no evidence that Alyssa is adhering to the party line. 

That tv show pays a lot of money. I don't need to see a secret motive of wanting to lure new followers to IBLP just because she allows herself to be on it. 

Shes making money. 

14 hours ago, amendgitan said:

I see no evidence that she or any of her siblings have left the cult. But I also see no evidence that Alyssa is adhering to the party line. 

That tv show pays a lot of money. I don't need to see a secret motive of wanting to lure new followers to IBLP just because she allows herself to be on it. 

Shes making money. 

She is making money off normalizing a family whose core beliefs are evil and, by being in it, she is actually hurting the victims of IBLP. By participating in it, no matter her reasons, she is helping promote the idea that the a dangerous cult is normal and nice. 

A few pages ago people were talking about The Wilds. I went there ONE year, it sucked. 

It's also were I almost died from shock because this couple were for marriage waiting to kiss. 

Hypothetically, let's say a Bates spawn didn't want to appear on camera anymore, what would happen?

It would ruin the facade of them being a nice normal family and people would start questioning why adult kids are refusing to participate. It would also ruin the show because Gil and Kelly would either be forced to say they are choosing the show over family(which would make them look awful), or the show would have to leave off all major family events. No weddings, no holidays, nothing where the whole family would be there and it would be more boring than it already is and I doubt UP would allow it.

2 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

Hypothetically, let's say a Bates spawn didn't want to appear on camera anymore, what would happen?

I always admired the way the Osborne family respected oldest daughter Aimee's wishes not to be filmed or have publicity - and given the scripted nature of the show, it would be completely possible to film around a child - say s/he has gone to plant a church/do mission work in another city/go away to college, "comes back to visit regularly", if they want to stay living at home, just coincidentally not when the cameras are there, and so on.  They could do it super-low-key, and with the number of kids they have, it wouldn't even be that visible... IF the parent Bates were happy with that, of course...

I'm not sure it would work with the Bates because the whole point of the show is that they are a family with 19 kids and the show is supposed to depict how they live. It would actually be pretty obvious if the older kids started opting out and opting their families out. Weddings, holidays and the birth of grandchildren are a main draw of the show, take those away and this boring show would be more boring. 

At most, I could see them letting one or two bow out of talking heads and individual screen time, but keeping them at family functions in the background. 

Completely keeping cameras away from family events would ruin their happy family show and end the family's income. They would never allow that. 

38 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I'm not sure it would work with the Bates because the whole point of the show is that they are a family with 19 kids and the show is supposed to depict how they live. It would actually be pretty obvious if the older kids started opting out and opting their families out. Weddings, holidays and the birth of grandchildren are a main draw of the show, take those away and this boring show would be more boring. 

But with so many kids married/at college etc, it would be super-easy to leave one or to out - I've never watched closely, so my timelines are terrible, but wasn't there a season where at least one of the Duggar boys was at ALERT for some/all of the time, and were they on TV while Joseph Duggar was away at college, and we never saw that? 

(Realistically speaking, as they age out of the family home, for one reason or another, it'll be logistically impossible to follow them all anyway, especially as they move.  "Jill and Jessa" went the Sin-tral America because the show was nominally only about the two of them, but in both these families, if one of the adult kids goes away to college, another off a mission trip, someone marries and moves out-of-state and so on, they're going to have to decide which not to show, to keep the costs down, if not to keep the programmes working well (OK, OK, relatively well). 

And while it's easy to focus on 5 or 6 grandchildren, once they get past a certain point, the cast will just be too big to manage in a way the casual audience can keep up.  I'm thinking of the how hard it is for us to keep up with the number of S'Morton grandchildren - once it gets to 4 or 5 Bates births a year, that'll get boring too.)

I feel like as the Bates kids get older, more and more episodes will zero in on one or two people, so it wouldn't be hard to avoid the bulk of the filming.

The reason I think they'll be less family focused is because the Bates seem pretty good at marrying the kidults off.

If Tori and Bobby are dating (or courting), why haven't the Bates just said so? I don't get why they call each other boyfriend/girlfriend and say they aren't courting/dating.

If Tori and Bobby are dating (or courting), why haven't the Bates just said so? I don't get why they call each other boyfriend/girlfriend and say they aren't courting/dating.

It's likely that they haven't entered an official courtship. So in the Bates world it's kinda like dating someone and being exclusive but without the big proposal of courtship which is basically pre-marriage.

On 7/14/2016 at 10:59 PM, nelliebelle1197 said:

Not a good story- Someone in another thread called Alyssa a superficial twit and I was attracted to that phrase like a squirrel to a slutty bird feeder. 

I added the hashtag in honor of her formerly active social media life. Then I begged and pleaded with powerful people to gimme it! Forever!

Just catching up on Bates threads now--that someone would be moi! I'm quite proud of the fact that my snarky/bitchy moment captivated you so. :my_cool:

With 19 kids varying in ages, it would be easy to leave one or two people out. And even then, that person could be in the background or pop up in a taped visit or two. It would be harder to work around with a small family. If you have three kids, it's going to be noticeable if one of them stops showing up.

But a note on Tori and her courtship. I think she and Bobby will last long enough to make it to the engagement stage. The daughters have a better courting record than the Bates sons.

1 hour ago, season of life said:

With 19 kids varying in ages, it would be easy to leave one or two people out. And even then, that person could be in the background or pop up in a taped visit or two. It would be harder to work around with a small family. If you have three kids, it's going to be noticeable if one of them stops showing up.

But a note on Tori and her courtship. I think she and Bobby will last long enough to make it to the engagement stage. The daughters have a better courting record than the Bates sons.

Is it true that last week's BUB episode said that Tori has 2 years of college to go and she's determined to finish? I am curious how this will shake out. Bobby graduates next May or June. Will they marry then & she will try to finish her last year online, if it is even possible? Is she taking classes this summer & next summer to try to shorten it by a semester?  Could she transfer to PCC where she is?

I still think the fans of the show would start noticing and asking questions if any of adult kids completely disappeared from the show and all the social media/pictures around the show. And the family either had to blur out their faces or stopped showing any family events.  

On 7/14/2016 at 5:38 PM, Bye Bye Birdie said:

THIS! Gil is a master manipulator, and it's much easier to manipulate someone you've had power over their whole life. The pressure they're under is incredible! Let me be clear- they are all still in the cult, very much so! But not all want to be on TV (and not because they don't want to be associated with IBPL, but just because they don't want to be on the damn TV!)... but they have NO say in it. The show is about a family with 19 kids, if 7 of them didn't pariticipate it'd be stupid. Plus, the weddings and babies are what gets the big numbers, and Gil knows it. So he needs kidults to be on the show, and he will use all the tricks he has to get them to do it. Ugh, I really do despise that man! 

Which ones don't want to be on TV? 

19 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

Which ones don't want to be on TV? 

I think it is only Lawson who wants to be on tv. So, says the families not so subtle hints.

I think it is only Lawson who wants to be on tv. So, says the families not so subtle hints.

Lawson loves the camera, and the camera loves him.

Some may say he's in a courtship with a camera. Ha.

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Is it true that last week's BUB episode said that Tori has 2 years of college to go and she's determined to finish? I am curious how this will shake out. Bobby graduates next May or June. Will they marry then & she will try to finish her last year online, if it is even possible? Is she taking classes this summer & next summer to try to shorten it by a semester?  Could she transfer to PCC where she is?

Wasn't it the same thing for Erin? She and Chad got married before she'd graduated, so Chad moved to TN (originally temporarily) to allow Erin to finish college. If Bobby and Tori get married next summer, Bobby could easily move to TN as well, since he'll have finished college by then. Would make filming easier too. ;)

On 8/3/2016 at 11:29 AM, nausicaa said:

Just catching up on Bates threads now--that someone would be moi! I'm quite proud of the fact that my snarky/bitchy moment captivated you so. :my_cool:

I knew we were friends for a reason.

3 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

Well, I guess that is one way to keep the boy pure.

On 8/4/2016 at 1:02 PM, JillyO said:

Wasn't it the same thing for Erin? She and Chad got married before she'd graduated, so Chad moved to TN (originally temporarily) to allow Erin to finish college. If Bobby and Tori get married next summer, Bobby could easily move to TN as well, since he'll have finished college by then. Would make filming easier too. ;)

That's a good point. I couldn't sleep last night so I finally watched all the episodes on the DVR. I thought they made it seem like Tori was into the idea of moving to Florida. 

She and Bobby just seem so damned young tho. I always struggle with that. 

Do we know what Bobby is studying in college or should I just assume it's either business or Jesus? 

4 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Do we know what Bobby is studying in college or should I just assume it's either business or Jesus? 

The Business of Jesus. Just Kidding, sort of. I have no idea.  These folks make Jesus seem like a business.

On 8/5/2016 at 2:44 AM, actuallyjessica said:

So he's cheating on himself? 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived