IGNORED

What is going on at the Maxwells?

Dark Matters

I just read the latest Mom's Corner. Sarah was the guest writer and she wrote about scheduling kids during the summer. I think they could all just read the Erika Shupe "What to do with summer" blog post and be all set. Apparently all homeschooling moms fear summer and the lack of schedule. :shrug:

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/5/2016 at 7:00 PM, goldbu said:

On a whim I decided to see what's new with Swift Otter. They have updated their page and added a blog, with entries from today. No mention of Jesus, and their "about" page actually contains humor (and mentions Jesse's preference for black coffee, of course). It says that Joseph speaks at conferences around the country "to do his part in building the developer community." Is this a reference to the Maxwell conferences, and is a huge stretch, or does he actually speak at other conferences? 

He does actually speak at conferences. Color me surprised: http://www.meetup.com/kcphpug/events/230731784/  I wonder what he thinks of the social aspect of such a thing.

9 minutes ago, Seven Severn said:

He does actually speak at conferences. Color me surprised: http://www.meetup.com/kcphpug/events/230731784/  I wonder what he thinks of the social aspect of such a thing.

Great find!

Several of the speakers have a short video about what they will speak about, and Joseph is one.  It looks like he filmed it in his basement.  It's like he's going out of his way to be upbeat in the video.  Either that or he's had too much black coffee.

Also, some of the speakers are women!  How does that go over with Joseph?

11 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Great find!

Several of the speakers have a short video about what they will speak about, and Joseph is one.  It looks like he filmed it in his basement.  It's like he's going out of his way to be upbeat in the video.  Either that or he's had too much black coffee.

Eh? I don't spot Joseph there. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place. 

22 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Great find!

Great find for you, too! Here's Joseph's video. This is a group thing and you have to fast forward. Sorry, don't know how to separate them out. Hopefully someone else can to it. He's right after Kristen :

I do not understand why Sarah is doing the Mom's corner. She isn't a mom - unless they are admitting she raised the Reversals? They list in her qualifications as observing her sisters-in-law. Uh, why not get one of them to write this entry? This is really silly. How stupid can the Maxwells be? 

11 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I do not understand why Sarah is doing the Mom's corner. She isn't a mom - unless they are admitting she raised the Reversals? They list in her qualifications as observing her sisters-in-law. Uh, why not get one of them to write this entry? This is really silly. How stupid can the Maxwells be? 

They only want the immediate Family, they don't count the in-laws as family :my_dodgy:

There hasn't been a Seriously fast for a while. For all that talk last time about how they were getting closer together, it doesn't seem to have happened yet. Maybe Steve realised a ten day fast was a little too much. 

I want another excuse for an anti fast dammit :P

3 hours ago, Seven Severn said:

Great find for you, too! Here's Joseph's video. This is a group thing and you have to fast forward. Sorry, don't know how to separate them out. Hopefully someone else can to it. He's right after Kristen :

If you click on the three lines with the right pointing arrow at the top left of the video screen, you'll get a pop-out where you can choose Joseph's video without having to slog through the rest.

The editing of his video is the absolute WORST, one jerky cut after another. It's unbelievably distracting. I can't figure out of it was deliberate or not. Like, was he going for MTV-style cuts (20 years out of date) or what? Or is it just that despite all of Steve's yammering about what great conversationalists they all are and all their conference speaking, they're really can't string two sentences together…

I find this whole thing rather interesting. Steve's philosophy has always seemed to be that if you build it, they (good god-fearing Christians) will come. Apparently, that's not working. Most of them have multiple jobs and even so, they've had to leave the Christian cocoon and try to attract mainstream clients. The fact that they've stripped out almost every Jesus-y reference just proves that things weren't working as well as Steve would like everyone to believe. Personally, I think this could be a step in the right direction for the Reversal Maxwell Men. If they're forced to interact with people outside of their comfort zone, in situations where they can't take control, maybe they'll open their eyes, see that the world isn't a terrible place full of bad people and start to question things. I can't imagine any of them shedding religious altogether—it's too ingrained—but they may loosen up a little.

ETA: Yeah, this could be a real eye-opener for Joseph. From the conference's code of conduct (bolding mine):

php[architect] is dedicated to providing a harassment-free event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), or technology choices. We do not tolerate harassment of event participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any conference venue, including talks, workshops, parties, Twitter and other online media. Event participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of the conference organisers.

It stuck out to me how incredibly similar his inflection is to Sarah's in her Moody video. It doesn't seem to just be a regional accent. Definitely a result of spending so much time together into adulthood. I'd like to hear how Anna and Mary sound.

That was an interesting code of conduct @sparkles quoted.

Almost the antithesis of Christopher's wedding photo rules.

I guess Joseph won't be passing out tracts or doing any kind of evangelizing at these events or he might find himself sanctioned.

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

It stuck out to me how incredibly similar his inflection is to Sarah's in her Moody video. It doesn't seem to just be a regional accent. Definitely a result of spending so much time together into adulthood. I'd like to hear how Anna and Mary sound.

God, I'm just picturing them all sitting around the dinner table having an overly wholesome conversation about absolutely nothing. One person makes a comment about the rain, maybe someone interjects with a joke about Noah's ark.  Someone else comments that they wish it would let up, Dad reminds them that they should be praising Jesus for giving us what we need.

It's playing out like a poorly acted sitcom in my head because that's what their tones sound like.

34 minutes ago, donnal said:

God, enough'm just picturing them all sitting around the dinner table having an overly wholesome conversation about absolutely nothing. One person makes a comment about the rain, maybe someone interjects with a joke about Noah's ark.  Someone else comments that they wish it would let up, Dad reminds them that they should be praising Jesus for giving us what we need.

It's playing out like a poorly acted sitcom in my head because that's what their tones sound like.

Well Ive heatd Anna sing and that was more than enough

I much prefer this version of Joseph, speaking without going on about God or singing off key with pointed nipples in a paddock.. I actually quite like this Joseph..colour me surprised!!

3 hours ago, clese said:

I much prefer this version of Joseph, speaking without going on about God or singing off key with pointed nipples in a paddock.. I actually quite like this Joseph..colour me surprised!!

"Pointed nipples in a paddock" thanks for that mental image!!

:brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach:

On 5/23/2016 at 11:52 AM, nokidsmom said:

Always thought Anna-Marie was totally fine with her life as a Maxwell DIL.   I think Christopher found a needle in a haystack when it came to finding a woman who would be content with the Maxwell life.   Not surprised that she's into the scheduling even at this point with young children.  Melanie, OTOH, seems more relaxed, it may be due to her more mainstream life and she also has her own family nearby which might help keep her grounded in the non Maxhell world.  

Though fervently wish that Anna-Marie would dump the frumpers.  While she looks good, the style does her no favors.    When she was photographed at the brother's wedding, the more stylish clothing, relatively speaking, completely transformed her IMHO.

NR-Anna is 125% happy to be a Maxwell and happy to birth uncute warriors for God. Period.

12 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

NR-Anna is 125% happy to be a Maxwell and happy to birth uncute warriors for God. Period.

She dosen't seem to have the same issues that Melanie has. I'm sure Steve is thrilled about that. 

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

She dosen't seem to have the same issues that Melanie has. I'm sure Steve is thrilled about that. 

I'm sure he'll be even more thrilled if this next one is a boy. 

29 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I'm sure he'll be even more thrilled if this next one is a boy. 

I'm sure he will be. I bet he wanted to shout from the rooftops when NR-Anna & Christopher's first child was a boy. 

Now they're pimping all their feeds. Don't miss an exciting post!

Seriously. They are parody-ing themselves, right?

Wow, a blog post about how to receive their blog posts. Maxhell is fading away . . .

1 hour ago, molecule said:

Wow, a blog post about how to receive their blog posts. Maxhell is fading away . . .

Maxpurgatory, here we come!

"My mom loved summer because it afforded her opportunities to do things she normally didn’t have time for such as putting photos in albums, deep cleaning the refrigerator, polishing cabinets, and a host of other things."

Seriously?  That is why she *loved* summer?

3 hours ago, Rosie said:

"My mom loved summer because it afforded her opportunities to do things she normally didn’t have time for such as putting photos in albums, deep cleaning the refrigerator, polishing cabinets, and a host of other things."

Seriously?  That is why she *loved* summer?

Why couldn't she put that stuff in the schedule during the year? 

10 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Why couldn't she put that stuff in the schedule during the year? 

Because she had to save some fun for summer!

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived