IGNORED

What is going on at the Maxwells?

Dark Matters

19 hours ago, socalrules said:

I wonder if Sarah is confusing an ER with an urgent care facility. It will always be cheaper at Urgent care and they will send you to the ER, if necessary, which is what happened to me. Urgent care will also tell you how much the procedure they will be performing will cost. The problem is that you need to pay out of pocket right then if you don't have insurance. Then again, the ER can't turn you down even if you are broke. I can see the Maxwells going to urgent care for something like Ruthie's finger but the ER if it seems like a big emergency. 

A few years back, I cut my finger badly and went to an urgent care center for stitches.  They are common in my area, and I would never go to an ER for such a minor issue, since so many people without insurance (not sure how that works now with Obamacare) go to the ER for their basic medical needs since they cannot be turned down.  Due to that volume, if you don't have a life-threatening issue, you could wait 12 hours before seeing a doctor there.  Urgent care centers also cost much less for the insurance companies, so the insurance companies send out flyers explaining the different usage of those centers vs. ERs, and will also mention how much less the copay will be there.  

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, crawfishgirl said:

A few years back, I cut my finger badly and went to an urgent care center for stitches.  They are common in my area, and I would never go to an ER for such a minor issue, since so many people without insurance (not sure how that works now with Obamacare) go to the ER for their basic medical needs since they cannot be turned down.  Due to that volume, if you don't have a life-threatening issue, you could wait 12 hours before seeing a doctor there.  Urgent care centers also cost much less for the insurance companies, so the insurance companies send out flyers explaining the different usage of those centers vs. ERs, and will also mention how much less the copay will be there.  

I love Urgent Care and got stitches from them when I was a kid and split open my chin. I've pretty much used them for all my medical issues in the past ten years: allergic reaction to soap, ear infection, poison ivy in my eye.

I'm always shocked at people (including people with insurance) who go to the emergency room because they have strep throat or an ear infection. I was raised that the emergency room is for things like heart attacks.

Didn't she smash her finger in a door though? Maybe they worried that she broke her finger. In Britain the ER is called A and E, Accident and Emergency. I'd certainly call smashing a finger in a door an accident (I highly doubt the Maxwell grandkids are horrible enough to do this sort of thing on purpose).

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 11:57 AM, kpmom said:

Sarah actually wrote a very nice Memorial Day post, thanking those who gave their lives, and mentioning her grandfather Rex who was a purple heart recipient. 

No mention of aborted babies, and even the obligatory scripture verse was actually connected to what she wrote.

Nice pics of the ABCD kids holding the flag presented to Gigi at Rex's funeral.

Stve this is the wau to honor the dead.

Urgent care handles mild to moderate injuries including those from accidents.  They also do illnesses that you'd normally take to a doctor's office that occur outside business hours or if you're out of town.  It's useful for people without a regular doctor or if you can't get a timely appointment or if you're out of town.  Most aren't open 24 hours a day but longer hours than a regular office.

A broken finger would easily be handled by urgent care.  They did fine with a daughter who broke an arm on a weekend.  They even had an orthopedist on staff.

ER vs Urgent Care.  A lot depends on location.  I don't know what services in Leavenworth are like.

Where I live the (small) hospital with an ER is 5 minutes away.  Patients are transferred to larger hospitals as required.  The nearest Urgent Care is closer to 25 minutes away.  Guess where we would go in an emergency?  We also have excellent insurance not Scamaritan.

On 4/18/2016 at 10:19 AM, Elegant Mess said:

For those unfamiliar, go here and enjoy:  landoverbaptist.org

My work blocked it. The reason sighted was one I've never seen before "Tasteless". I cannot get home fast enough tonight.

On 5/29/2016 at 7:21 PM, FloraKitty35 said:

The irremovable stain isn't the blood of Christ, it's the brainwashing by Stevehovah.

What about the indelible mark of baptism, Steve?  Will Gramma's stain remover take care of that?

I probably shouldn't joke or he'll be dousing Catholics all over Kansas with that crap.  And I have Catholic family in Kansas and I don't want Stevehova trying to de-pope-i-fy them with chemical agents.  

13 hours ago, PartriarchydefyinValkarie said:

I've never googled CM before but I love his Wedding Requirements page.

-No alcohol

-No dancing

-Modest attire for bride and bridesmaids

-No F-U-N (jk that's what it sounds like though) 

What, do you have to send a picture of your dress and what the bridesmaids will be wearing?? Alyssa's wedding wasn't too bad but damn those goose-shit-green dresses. Ick.

He's actually toned it down. He used to also require that it be a first wedding and a valid marriage certificate. I guess it was against his morals to photograph widow and/or widowers marriages.

In my area, we have Urgent Care's for orthopedic issues and sprains.

Googling tells me that Auatralia has had a small number of Urgent Care facilities, since 2011.  So that's why I wasn't familiar with the concept.

Mr. Google thinks there is only one urgent care in Leavenworth.  I'm used to there being an urgent care next door or across the street from every hospital to keep the ER from running over with things that don't need to be there. 

3 hours ago, Justme said:

He's actually toned it down. He used to also require that it be a first wedding and a valid marriage certificate. I guess it was against his morals to photograph widow and/or widowers marriages.

In my area, we have Urgent Care's for orthopedic issues and sprains.

I wonder if he would make an exception for if the groom died? Or would the Bride have to marry the brother? Aka Onan it?

2 minutes ago, PartriarchydefyinValkarie said:

I wonder if he would make an exception for if the groom died? Or would the Bride have to marry the brother? Aka Onan it?

Onan who lent his very name to the act of masturbation?  None of that in Maxhell!

(I know nothing about the bible, but I know that.  Make of it what you will.)

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Onan who lent his very name to the act of masturbation?  None of that in Maxhell!

(I know nothing about the bible, but I know that.  Make of it what you will.)

I was meaning the Bride would have to marry a brother from the same family instead of someone brand new.  

But yes loved when PP and others use Onan for that cause lmao

26 minutes ago, PartriarchydefyinValkarie said:

I was meaning the Bride would have to marry a brother from the same family instead of someone brand new.  

But yes loved when PP and others use Onan for that cause lmao

Wow - I have two boys and they've never even agreed in the same cereal.  A hand me down wife would definitely be a no go!

I"m guessing the reason for the ER rather than an urgent care is Scamaritan. It's not real insurance, so urgent cares probably don't accept it. An ER has to fix you and then you can negotiate.

If I go to the ER it's a $100 up front. If it's after 9PM we have to drive to downtown LA from the south bay to the 24-hour urgent care that will charge me $20 for an office visit. When I broke my foot we did that. The place is 2 blocks from Staples and parking is crazy, plus the LAPD brings lots of drunk and disorderly in to be checked over before booking them. It was like dinner and a show. I wish they'd have an urgent care down this way because I hate driving to downtown. 

I got a half cast and an immediate referral to podiatry on Tuesday, because my PCP had to write the referral first. Not fun at all. 

16 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I love Urgent Care and got stitches from them when I was a kid and split open my chin. I've pretty much used them for all my medical issues in the past ten years: allergic reaction to soap, ear infection, poison ivy in my eye.

I'm always shocked at people (including people with insurance) who go to the emergency room because they have strep throat or an ear infection. I was raised that the emergency room is for things like heart attacks.

I did NHS urgent care when one of my ear piercings got infected. Bit of a wait, but can't beat that £8.50 charge for antibiotics, no charge for the visit, and a very efficient, but nice doctor. I also love the NHS nurse helpline; I know some US insurance companies do it, but I never used that kind of service until I was in the UK and living on my own. It's really handy to just call up a nurse, tell them what's going on, and, although they are a bit limited in what they can evaluate over the phone, they can give you an idea of whether or not you should go to a doctor/urgent care/hospital, or just treat the problem yourself at home. No tying up emergency lines, and it might save you a bit of money and time.

They really are desperate for ideas. Sarah's posted asking people how much they think Ellie will weigh when full grown. Currently she's 50 pounds. The father was 100 pounds and the mother about 70. It's a cute (ish) idea to get blog readers to guess, but there must really be nothing on in Maxhell right now. 

With all of those grandkids, one would think they'd have plenty to post about...but maybe none of them have friends, a favorite food, a favorite color, an interesting craft or item of artwork to show, a project they're working on, etc.  We get to guess the future weight of a dog.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

They really are desperate for ideas. Sarah's posted asking people how much they think Ellie will weigh when full grown. Currently she's 50 pounds. The father was 100 pounds and the mother about 70. It's a cute (ish) idea to get blog readers to guess, but there must really be nothing on in Maxhell right now. 

And yet, we've never heard that wonderful pizza cutter trick for cutting lettuce!!

Sarcasm aside, here's some things they could post about that would actually be interesting while at the same time promoting themselves:

1) A day in the life of Melanie, NR Anna and/or Elissa. They chould show how the schedule their days and how they remain productive. 
2) Any sort of discussion of the jobs the guys have. We know they do more than is posted, we just don't really know why they don't post about it. Might as well get free publicity. 
3) Abby's homeschooling. They could talk about what she's learning and how she's progressing. I'm sure she's not doing a ton of projects, because this is the Maxwells, but it'd still be interesting to see how she's doing. She is 8 now, she's well into elementary school. 
4) The daily schedules of Sarah, Anna and Mary. Talk about what they do all day. 
5) Show some more of Mary's artwork. How is she progressing? Is she taking any classes? Trying any new techniques? 
6) Some actual recipes that are not stupid like that layered salad or the burrito filling or tortillas. They do have recipes for more complicated casseroles, they just don't really share them. 
7) Pictures and pictures and pictures of the grandkids spending time together. Seriously, people love that stuff. They seem to be aware of that, but they don't show the kids together as much as they could. 
8) Specifics about how Sarah is training Ellie. Like, what tricks is she teaching, how is Ellie progressing, that sort of stuff.

Any of those would be interesting to read, while at the same time being totally in keeping with their statement mission of the blog. 

I really think one of the dils should do a post maybe once a week or so, if they want to stay relevant to  young families.

If i was a young fundie homeschooling mom (God forbid), I'd be much more interested in what Melanie or NR-Anna have to say than Sarah, Steve or Teri.

If they updated their scheduling and chore systems, and the young families talked about using these, their sales would probably increase.

I can't imagine that MOTH paper and pencil schedule is selling well to young computer savvy moms.

@anjulibai great minds think alike!  We both had the same idea!  The Maxwells should pay us a fee for our marketing ideas!  :my_smile:

The Maxwells don't think beyond the obvious. I agree it'd be interesting to see what the daughters-in-law do, particularly Melanie and NR Anna. Melanie because of the homeschooling- they've had one post, ages ago, about Abby finishing a workbook or whatever it was. Plus occasional mentions of how good her reading is. NR Anna will be interesting because of how close together her kids are, although none of them are in homeschool yet. She will soon have a four year old, a two year old, a one year old and a newborn. (Yeesh, my ovaries are cowering in fear just typing that.) If many of their leghumpers are like them and have given their family planning to the Lord, this'll doubtless be something that scares them- a post could help assuage that fear. She did do a post that offered a small insight, but it wasn't much beyond "I taught Joshua his letters and Ruthanne knows them too!" and "Joshua does puzzles for fifteen minutes." That isn't enough- what are meals like? Nap times? What does Christopher do? And so on. 

Come on, Maxwells, creativity doesn't hurt. God won't smite you. 

They really need to finish up the dangling expected posts like the pizza cutter for lettuce. 

They should talk about homeschooling and scheduling for the grandkids.  At least it would be current information.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived