IGNORED

"Look Away My Son"

roddma

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using "nike" didn't work so well for the Duggars- why does she think this is this going to have better results?

This reminds me of the scene in Little Big Man where Mrs Pendrake, the preacher's wife,  is giving Jack a bath, except Jack is a fairly full grown Dustin Hoffman.  Mrs Pendrake is singing Bringing in the Sheaves while she scrubs Jack and says "I shall avert my eyes" when she hold a towel out to wrap the wet Jack in.   A while later, Jack spies Mrs Pendrake and the soda shop owner having sex, Jack says "That was the end of my religion period".

The sexual frustrations of Louise Pendrake

When my daughter was 7 she had to see a child psych due to OCD, anyhoo I asked him what age she a child stop showering will a parent since my kids didn't give a shit and jumped in with either me or their dad, he told me - don't worry they will stop on their own, if you don't make a big deal of nakedness then they won't either- 

both now are older and don't care if they see people naked or skimpily dressed, they see the person for their personality not how much clothing they wear. 

Ohh, ohhh, over here *waves arm around*  I have another idea you could try; get the hell over yourself. Give that a go and see how it works out! :my_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Luvmyskinnyjeanz said:

When my daughter was 7 she had to see a child psych due to OCD, anyhoo I asked him what age she a child stop showering will a parent since my kids didn't give a shit and jumped in with either me or their dad, he told me - don't worry they will stop on their own, if you don't make a big deal of nakedness then they won't either- 

both now are older and don't care if they see people naked or skimpily dressed, they see the person for their personality not how much clothing they wear. 

People like this wouldn't blame Josh.

My brother and I used to take baths together until he was 4ish. There are 5 yrs between us so I guess I didn't tempt him.. I couldn't see many Fundies do this, though some parents bathe two kids at once to save water and time. Then what am I saying? They're concerned with men changing diapers on a girl. P.S.I like taking baths by myself thank you.I consider it personal time.

6 hours ago, roddma said:

People like this wouldn't blame Josh.

My brother and I used to take baths together until he was 4ish. There are 5 yrs between us so I guess I didn't tempt him.. I couldn't see many Fundies do this, though some parents bathe two kids at once to save water and time. Then what am I saying? They're concerned with men changing diapers on a girl. P.S.I like taking baths by myself thank you.I consider it personal time.

Hahaha yup me too, but personal time is absolutely forbidden according to my 2 brats. If I lock the door they use a knife to unlock it, they have important stuff to tell me, 17 yr old daughter needs the hair straightener right that minute or she will die, partner can find hat - is it in bathroom?, 11yo son was "just wondering where you are". 

Seriously I'm thinking of running away from home lol.

So I guess I'm the only one with a Chicago earworm right now?

If you see me walkin' by

And the tears are in my eyes

Look away, baby, look away...

(I haz a weird. :lol:)

7 hours ago, smittykins said:

So I guess I'm the only one with a Chicago earworm right now?

If you see me walkin' by

And the tears are in my eyes

Look away, baby, look away...

(I haz a weird. :lol:)

Great Now it will be stuck in my head 

Ohh, ohhh, over here *waves arm around*  I have another idea you could try; get the hell over yourself. Give that a go and see how it works out! :my_rolleyes:

I. Love. This. Post.

Ridiculous.

And what I consider a huge problem is that this attitude that the girls are defrauding the boys is trickling down from the conservative/fundie/fundie-lite culture and into the mainstream.

We've had several bouts of this go through our local schools over the last couple of years. In one memorable example, all of the girls in a 6th-grade class were required to get up in front of everyone in the class in a row and bend down to make sure their shorts were of an appropriate length.

W.T.F?

I've taught my daughter since she was about 12 that she is not responsible for a boy's boner. Full stop.

We're really starting to roll it on back to our Puritan roots, and it needs to be stopped. Seriously.

The things girls aren't allowed to wear in school are seriously insane inElementary school.  I got called one morning to bring my 6 yo a "cover up" because her high-necked tank top was against school policy.  It has to be what they call two-fingers in width at the shoulders and hers was only one...adult finger width.  A first grader.  She was in tears, humiliated because she'd been called out of class and in trouble. Six years later she still has to check everything we buy to make sure it is school approved, that's how badly it upset her.

We won't even talk about all the Christian themed clothing teachers wear, but anything not Christian religious themed is forbidden.

When I was in a public elementary school in the 70's, my school had a policy that all kids could wear shorts through 3rd grade, but beginning in 4th, the girls were not allowed to wear them any longer.  Of course, the boys could still wear shorts.  The girls had to wear long pants/jeans, skirts (I don't remember if there was a required length, but I'm sure that there was), etc.  I don't know if a reason was ever officially given, but I'm sure that it had something to do with modesty as the kids started to mature.  I guess that they weren't worried about the boys' modesty....  They should have applied the no-shorts rule consistently, or done away with it totally.  At the time, I didn't know enough to question it, and I was too young for it to have done any good.  Anyway, I now have two girls who are in school, and if they attended a school that had such a sexist rule, I would blow a gasket.  The rules really should be applied consistently - I don't think that school administrators could easily get away with that now.

1 hour ago, violynn said:

The things girls aren't allowed to wear in school are seriously insane inElementary school.  I got called one morning to bring my 6 yo a "cover up" because her high-necked tank top was against school policy.  It has to be what they call two-fingers in width at the shoulders and hers was only one...adult finger width.  A first grader.  She was in tears, humiliated because she'd been called out of class and in trouble. Six years later she still has to check everything we buy to make sure it is school approved, that's how badly it upset her.

My daughter also double checks all the straps on her tanks, her friend got called out, also in grade 1.  And we are talking two storey building with no air conditioning in the summer. Yeah, lets all put on a turtle neck and have a heat stroke!

When I was in a public elementary school in the 70's, my school had a policy that all kids could wear shorts through 3rd grade, but beginning in 4th, the girls were not allowed to wear them any longer.  Of course, the boys could still wear shorts.  The girls had to wear long pants/jeans, skirts (I don't remember if there was a required length, but I'm sure that there was), etc.  I don't know if a reason was ever officially given, but I'm sure that it had something to do with modesty as the kids started to mature.  I guess that they weren't worried about the boys' modesty....  They should have applied the no-shorts rule consistently, or done away with it totally.  At the time, I didn't know enough to question it, and I was too young for it to have done any good.  Anyway, I now have two girls who are in school, and if they attended a school that had such a sexist rule, I would blow a gasket.  The rules really should be applied consistently - I don't think that school administrators could easily get away with that now.

We could wear uniform shorts, but they had to be no higher than 4" above the top of our knee. Same with skirts.

It wasn't very strictly enforced unless you had a militant teacher or it was blatant to the dean. Kids with parents on the pta or who made donations almost never got in trouble.

16 minutes ago, crawfishgirl said:

Weird. I wonder if that was a regional thing. I remember when I was in elementary school back in the mid-to-late 70s. Girls were wearing shorts that were sometimes rather on the short side (I see pictures of myself back then wearing shorts that showed quit e a bit of leg) and straight up tube tops, and I don't recall there being a thing about it.

But, yeah....those scandalous and defrauding 4th-6th graders. Better shut those hussies down from an early age, amirite?

ETA: Here's an example of an outfit I wore in 3rd or 4th grade--right down to the terry cloth material it's made out of, LOL!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/271904896222259268/

Absolutely, the rules should be applied to both genders, but they aren't, and it is always the girls who are ordered to cover up.

We just had a skerfuffle here locally over yoga pants.  It was finally decided that girls can only wear yoga pants/stretchy leggings to HS if their shirt falls halfway to their knees (hiding the "naughty bits" being the end result, I am guessing).

I think the HS boys should wear yoga pants to school in unison, maybe just for one day, as a protest.

The entire situation seemed really nit-picky to me.  Seems like weeks of meetings and discussions was a huge waste of time that could have been better spent.... (I have no kids in school anymore - I am just a member in the community that was subjected to this topic over and over and over again).

1 hour ago, FundieFarmer said:

We could wear uniform shorts, but they had to be no higher than 4" above the top of our knee. Same with skirts.

It wasn't very strictly enforced unless you had a militant teacher or it was blatant to the dean. Kids with parents on the pta or who made donations almost never got in trouble.

Do you know what I looooove about that 4" rule?  Sarcastically love.

I'm model-tall.  Almost no shorts are long enough to be long enough, and the pairs that are look frumpy.  My sister is petite, just over 5'.  4" above her knee is pretty short.  We ended up later at a school that went by fingertips.  At least as long as your fingertips for all shorts and skirts, for both boys and girls.

1 hour ago, MarblesMom said:

We just had a skerfuffle here locally over yoga pants.  It was finally decided that girls can only wear yoga pants/stretchy leggings to HS if their shirt falls halfway to their knees (hiding the "naughty bits" being the end result, I am guessing).

I think the HS boys should wear yoga pants to school in unison, maybe just for one day, as a protest.

I guess they think the males of our species can't be sexy and defrauding in stretchy pants.  Excuse me while I go let myself be defrauded.

2.jpg

I think both the "inches above the knee" and "fingertip" rules can result in horrendously defrauding getups.  I'm 5 foot with a proportionately long torso, short legs and tiny little t-rex arms.  A skirt that was at fingertip level for me would be so short you'd nearly see my butt cheeks.  I'd definitely "need privacy" according to that sweet and precious mommy (gag). 

24 minutes ago, jozina said:

I think both the "inches above the knee" and "fingertip" rules can result in horrendously defrauding getups.  I'm 5 foot with a proportionately long torso, short legs and tiny little t-rex arms.  A skirt that was at fingertip level for me would be so short you'd nearly see my butt cheeks.  I'd definitely "need privacy" according to that sweet and precious mommy (gag). 

Same here. 5'2" long torso and (in high school, not anymore) a Jessica Rabbit body. I was actually the reason the fingertip rule was abolished and replaced with top of the kneecap. I remember feeling dirty and ashamed. My fundie-lite Mom didn't help at all. She went around the house giving me the hostile  "what will people think?" routine for weeks. 

I'm almost 6' with a 36" inseam. I couldn't understand WHY my mom was so upset with my clothing in the late 80's. Clothes that were normal on my friends were seriously short on me. I still wore them and kinda liked the attention that my brick house body got me.  25 years later...I wish my 45 year old self could save my 20 year old self. 

Archived