IGNORED

Fans Who Send the Duggars Gifts or Make Personal Requests

roddma

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EyeQueue said:

:pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol:

I saw Leonard Nimoy drive by in a car (or maybe he was being driven? Lo-o-ong time ago) when I was a little kid and absolutely smitten with the Original Star Trek (yes, when it was actually being broadcast, not reruns).

3 minutes ago, refugee said:

I saw Leonard Nimoy drive by in a car (or maybe he was being driven? Lo-o-ong time ago) when I was a little kid and absolutely smitten with the Original Star Trek (yes, when it was actually being broadcast, not reruns).

Now that's cool as heck.

This is the most random thread ever. Epitome of thread drift. topic.....ooh, shiny! Topic....ooh, shiny! Topic....debate....topic...on the plus side, I am now up to date on all the past....characters!

This incident is almost embarrassing to admit. In the very early 90's, I was invited to an outdoor BBQ/cook-out. I arrived, mingled, enjoyed the good BBQ, and found myself in a conversation with a nice gentleman. We discussed the rapidly building storm clouds, chatted about OU/OSU football etc. then I moved on. A little later, an acquaintance said, I see you met Garth, I replied, Garth who?  In my defense, I didn't listen to country music during that time period. The host never mentioned the guests attending, other than some of her old college buddies would be there.

Now for the embarrassing part, I'm from Oklahoma!  I felt like the only Oklahoman who never heard of Mr. Brooks. So, that's my celebrity encounter, even though I was oblivious to the fact.

1 hour ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Was Nimoy singing the Hobbit song? Please say yes.

No, he was actually playing Fagin in a musical theater production of Oliver! (I think there's an exclamation point in the title, I'm not yelling.) So I got to see him act as some other role than Spock, and heard him sing as well. Except they were Fagin's songs, of course.

"You've got to pick a pocket or two, boys; You have to pick a pocket or two!"
"Cheerio, but be back soon! You can go, but how I'll miss you! Remember, that's why I say 'Cheerio', not goodbye."
"I'm reviewing the situation... Can a villain be a villain all his life? All the trials and tribulation... Think I'll settle down and get myself a wife. And the wife will cook and sew for me, and come for me, and go for me -- and go for me, and nag at me, the finger she will wag at me ... I think I'd better think it out again!" (Can't believe I can still remember so many words. Might not all be right, but I can hear him singing them in my head.)

ETA: But my best friend and I used to sit in her room and listen to the Hobbit song, and the other songs on that album, what was it, I'm Not Spock maybe? I'm chuckling just thinking about it. And such excitement when my parents took us both to see that musical, even though it was a bit of a drive away.

From a review of the show:

"As Fagin, softened by Bart from a Jewish to a Cockney miser, TV's Leonard Nimoy is billed above the title. Never has a Melody Top star been less glamorously turned out, with teeth yellowed, costume of threads and patches and graying hair and beard covering those Mr. Spock ("Star Trek") ears. Nimoy skulks around snakily and sings in a commendable baritone."

26 minutes ago, ALM7 said:

This incident is almost embarrassing to admit. In the very early 90's, I was invited to an outdoor BBQ/cook-out. I arrived, mingled, enjoyed the good BBQ, and found myself in a conversation with a nice gentleman. We discussed the rapidly building storm clouds, chatted about OU/OSU football etc. then I moved on. A little later, an acquaintance said, I see you met Garth, I replied, Garth who?  In my defense, I didn't listen to country music during that time period. The host never mentioned the guests attending, other than some of her old college buddies would be there.

Now for the embarrassing part, I'm from Oklahoma!  I felt like the only Oklahoman who never heard of Mr. Brooks. So, that's my celebrity encounter, even though I was oblivious to the fact.

If I ever meet garth I will be on the floor 

Wow confusing thread!  I have no idea who Garth is? 

Nor have I ever met anyone famous.  Or if I did, I didn't recognise them!

WRT to the gift to celebs thing.  I kind of understand companies doing that, I "copied" a baby blanket that a celeb had instagrammed.  It was just what I had been looking for and the celeb had hashtagged the company so I was able to buy one.  Im sure sending a £30 blanket to her generated a fair few orders that they wouldn't have otherwise got.

I have met a famous author. She was my dad's boss's ex-wife. She had one of her books turned into a film and Kristen Stewart was playing the lead. Well, this author was on set one day and one of the producers introduced the author to KStew saying that this person wrote the book. KStew responded with "I didn't read the book, I'm just the actress." right in front of the author of the book the movie is based on.

And that's the story of why I hate Kristen Stewart. 

1 hour ago, mtc3659 said:

I have met a famous author. She was my dad's boss's ex-wife. She had one of her books turned into a film and Kristen Stewart was playing the lead. Well, this author was on set one day and one of the producers introduced the author to KStew saying that this person wrote the book. KStew responded with "I didn't read the book, I'm just the actress." right in front of the author of the book the movie is based on.

Was it the author of speak? To be fair, she was just 14 when she shooted that movie, but she is just so live less it's painful to watch

2 hours ago, Apricot said:

Wow confusing thread!  I have no idea who Garth is? 

Nor have I ever met anyone famous.  Or if I did, I didn't recognise them!

WRT to the gift to celebs thing.  I kind of understand companies doing that, I "copied" a baby blanket that a celeb had instagrammed.  It was just what I had been looking for and the celeb had hashtagged the company so I was able to buy one.  Im sure sending a £30 blanket to her generated a fair few orders that they wouldn't have otherwise got.

Garth Brooks is a country singer.

Charlize Theron was next to me in line for the bathroom at a MB20 concert at the Fillmore in S.F.  We basically just looked at each other and sighed.

My Sis and I went into a empty restaurant, save for the lead, John Rzeznic and Robby Takac of the Goo Goo Dolls were eating. We had no idea they were in there at first. When I saw them a few tables away, all I could say was, "Oh noooo, noooo" as I am not star struck, but did like the Goo Goo Dolls. We joke that the Chicken Caesar Salad that day was the best we never tasted, because I just chomped it down. It could've been cardboard for all I knew. They stayed longer than we did.

Lots of other close calls. Jimmy McNichol  (sp? ) at Disneyland, etc. I smile and nod, that's about it.

5 hours ago, mtc3659 said:

If it were Twilight, I'd be annoyed at her lack of professionalism but find it kind of funny (it was still incredibly unprofessional, but I do find the blatant hatred Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson have for the franchise amusing), but if it were the authors of Speak or Still Alice (both very good books and movies), I'd be just straight-up pissed.

42 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

If it were Twilight, I'd be annoyed at her lack of professionalism but find it kind of funny (it was still incredibly unprofessional, but I do find the blatant hatred Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson have for the franchise amusing), but if it were the authors of Speak or Still Alice (both very good books and movies), I'd be just straight-up pissed.

Ha! Same. My opinion on KS's rudeness depends entirely on the author in question.

Someone's avatar just reminded me that I met Tom Baker, the 4th Dr Who, about 20 years ago. He was nice but really, really odd. I mean when he looked at you it was intense and incredibly unnerving. Every so often I remember it and shudder. I've never met anyone like that since.

Again he was fine, very approachable and friendly but it was just a bizarre experience. 

I would be thrilled to meet any Dr. Who, but especially David Tennant. I haven't made up my mind about Peter Capaldi yet. I transitioned easily between Christopher Eccleston David Tennant and Matt Smith, but not Peter Capaldi.

Before FJ, I was on DWOP. No thread drift allowed. Boring. :562479a9d021a_Titanicyawn:

Wow...  my only claim to fame is in high school I worked with twin females at a cafe, they had 6 brothers, and years later I saw them on a tv talk show coming out as transgender.   Both of them.   I knew people on tv!    Other than that....I got nothing.... i need to get out more apparently.    OH not  true - my BFF (an author/blogger) mentioned me when she got interviewed in O magazine...  HA!  Well, HA if that counts....(And Precious Amy had her accident a mere ten miles from where she lives.   Where IS Kevin Bacon....)

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I would be thrilled to meet any Dr. Who, but especially David Tennant. I haven't made up my mind about Peter Capaldi yet. I transitioned easily between Christopher Eccleston David Tennant and Matt Smith, but not Peter Capaldi.

Before FJ, I was on DWOP. No thread drift allowed. Boring. :562479a9d021a_Titanicyawn:

I got lost/bored/annoyed with Matt Smith somewhere and gave up. I'm debating on going back. Maybe just the Specials? I don't know. I feel sad, I loved Christopher Eccleston and especially David Tennant, but Matt Smith did nothing for me. 

In the intervening days since my last post here, I have been unable to recollect any other celebrity interactions.  That does not, of course, mean that there aren't any, it just means that I can't remember them, if there were.  I'm leaning towards yes, there must be more.  

But, purposing to comment on the original topic, I would almost rather die than acknowledge a celebrity, let alone send them anything.  The truth is, they really piss me off.  I'm talking about rich and famous actors here.  

It annoys me when they say they are just normal people who want their privacy, but, meanwhile, they are, well, rich, and treated everywhere they go as VIPs.  Why are they more speshul than you and me?  Because they are rich and famous. Why are they rich and famous?  Because of people like you and me.  They beg for privacy and then appear on talk shows to promote their latest project, urging us to spend our money to watch them act.  So, admire them and spend your money on them when it suits them but, otherwise, please leave them alone.  They will get into a roped-off area in a restaurant or club while you and I stand pathetically outside, because we are nobodies, but they are normal and so we must give them privacy.  But do buy tickets to their movie so they can afford to install walls and gates to maintain their privacy.

Well, that was quite a rant, wasn't it?  Man, it just really pisses me off.

I've never met a famous person IRL, but Amy Grant came to my church and did a concert when I was a very small child. I remember it seemed to go on forever, I hated it, and the only thing I liked was the desserts and punch we had in the fellowship hall afterward.

I see your point @Fascinated, but it doesn't seem fair that they can never have privacy, just because they choose to be in the public spotlight as their job.

1 minute ago, Kailash said:

I see your point @Fascinated, but it doesn't seem fair that they can never have privacy, just because they choose to be in the public spotlight as their job.

I hear you, too, @Kailash, but you are right, they choose to be in the public eye.  And they make literally millions of dollars.  Entertainment is important but they are paid ridiculous sums for their contributions.  It wouldn't bother me if they lived like everyone else, but they don't. They are considered more important. It's a very strange celebrity culture. 

I almost went out with someone from a very famous band (that I actually can't stand), but our dinner plans were for September 11th, 2001, and neither of us really felt like going on a date after the news broke.  He was a nice guy, but I have to say I was relieved at not getting closer to someone whose music I disliked so much. 

Celebrity meetings huh? I've got a few.

I happened to be staying at the same hotel as Henry Winkler when he was giving a speech about Autism in Harrisburg. I bought a ticket just to see him and I got to ask him a question. He was so sweet and funny.

I met Filter - the band - all really nice guys. Friendly and engaging. 

I also met and shook hands with President Obama before he was elected. I was president of the College Democrats when I was in undergrad and did volunteer work for the local democratic party and the OBama campaign. I got a free ticket to a packed town hall and whenever there was an applause break, I slowly made my way down to the floor and crouched behind people in wheelchairs to watch. The speech ended and I got RUSHED - so many people came flying towards him that I wound up stomach hanging over the front barrier and he came by to shake hands. I'm 4'11 and I was surrounded by huge people so I didn't even think he would see me - I threw a hand out and caught his eye, screamed " SENATOR! I'M SHORT!!" He cracked up, gave me a hearty handshake. 

Archived