IGNORED

Meredith had her baby!

julie

Looks like Stephen's plan to stop Mere from blogging was akin to closing the stable door after the horse had bolted. :lol:

How true. Ironic that in choosing a wife with a seemingly squeaky-clean personal history, he's invited increased speculation about his own life and choices--which don't look quite as pristine as they appear in all those Rhodes-commendation articles.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How true. Ironic that in choosing a wife with a seemingly squeaky-clean personal history, he's invited increased speculation about his own life and choices--which don't look quite as pristine as they appear in all those Rhodes-commendation articles.

I don't get it, I don't think there's been any big reveal. Ok so he was kind of a jerk (lots of smart people and lots of politicians are) and he had sex before marriage (again, no biggie)

I admit it: I've always had a bad feeling about Stephen. I want to be wrong, I really, really do. Not because I am a Meredith fangirl, but because he specifically targeted a woman trained up to be a Stepford Wife (fundie edition!), albeit a hard working, cheesecake making, little sister raising one. There is a negative motive somewhere, I simply don't know enough to know why the whole thing is just....odd.

*thanks for the insider info.

I admit it: I've always had a bad feeling about Stephen. I want to be wrong, I really, really do. Not because I am a Meredith fangirl, but because he specifically targeted a woman trained up to be a Stepford Wife (fundie edition!), albeit a hard working, cheesecake making, little sister raising one. There is a negative motive somewhere, I simply don't know enough to know why the whole thing is just....odd.

*thanks for the insider info.

Yeah. I posted earlier in this thread that I would have liked Stephen before his big Christian conversion (even though he sounds douchy). I would have like him because he sounds like a smart, snarky, elitist, intellectually curious, nerdy guy and I am a smart (or so I like to believe), snarky, elitist, intellectually curious nerdy, girl. So the fact that he went for a farm girl in Virginia that he met via her blog who constantly professed her desire to find a husband to submit to and repeatedly expressed the fact that she was NOT going to college, well, no matter how smart and hardworking she is, it's hard for me, as somebody who is somewhat similar to Stephen and comes from probably a relatively similar background (upper middle class, highly educated parents, elite college-attending) that he could go for a girl like Meredith. The disconnect is what makes me worry about what the hell Stephen's intentions are. The fact that he sounds like the kind of person I would like, is the very thing that makes the fact that he would go for Meredith so sketchy.

What about this: Steve is that brainy geek we all knew in HS who was never comfortable around women. So when he goes a'courtin, he looks for a meek, mild woman...and finds Meredith.

Thoughts???

Yeah. I posted earlier in this thread that I would have liked Stephen before his big Christian conversion (even though he sounds douchy). I would have like him because he sounds like a smart, snarky, elitist, intellectually curious, nerdy guy and I am a smart (or so I like to believe), snarky, elitist, intellectually curious nerdy, girl. So the fact that he went for a farm girl in Virginia that he met via her blog who constantly professed her desire to find a husband to submit to and repeatedly expressed the fact that she was NOT going to college, well, no matter how smart and hardworking she is, it's hard for me, as somebody who is somewhat similar to Stephen and comes from probably a relatively similar background (upper middle class, highly educated parents, elite college-attending) that he could go for a girl like Meredith. The disconnect is what makes me worry about what the hell Stephen's intentions are. The fact that he sounds like the kind of person I would like, is the very thing that makes the fact that he would go for Meredith so sketchy.

Seriously, pomology, you totally get me. Minus the political ambitions, "douchiness" (pearl-clutch), and religious conversion, the Stephen I have heard about on this thread could be my husband (except Mr.Angri-la is WAY better looking). Smart, sarcastic, nerdy, hardworking, intellectually curious. But, he chose a woman like me, who shares many of the same characteristics that you use to describe yourself. I can't picture my guy trolling SAHD blogs for a wife.

I expect to see Meredith, babe in arms, smiling at Stephen's side @ the podium in a Jackie-O style dress in a few years. I hope, for her sake, it isn't while he is being indited for a scandal.

(edited because I had to be sure y'all know my husband is hotter than Stephen, not the other way around, and edited again just so you know why I edited, and so I could brag 2 more times about the hot man I come home to after work every day.)

What about this: Steve is that brainy geek we all knew in HS who was never comfortable around women. So when he goes a'courtin, he looks for a meek, mild woman...and finds Meredith.

Thoughts???

Oh, you just had to ask me for them, didn't you?!

I dated those boys in high school and college, exclusively, and none of the ones I met wanted a meek and mild sheltered girl. They wanted someone who would teach them a thing or two about a thing or two, not the other way around. But, this is just personal, anecdotal evidence. Perhaps there are some who want a perfect virginal girl who will smile and tell him he is wonderful, no matter what.

Thoughts???

Well, first of all, NeedsDistractions said that Stephen had girlfriends in high school and was definitely NOT a virgin when he got married, so I take that to mean he wasn't so comfortable with women.

And secondly, brainy geeks are not the way that they are stereotyped to be in popular culture. I went to high school and nerd camp with insanely bright guys (and girls) and they just weren't like that. I think that especially in my generation (I'm maybe three to five years younger than Stephen) being a nerd is something that we embrace and it is not something that at all stunts your social interactions.

I know a kid who is completely brilliant. When he was 14, he was your stereotypical brainy geek who could not have normal social interactions. I saw him last year (when he was a sophomore in college) and he was so different. He gave me a hug and we had a great conversation and it was hard to believe that he had gone from being painfully awkward to such a regular guy. Don't get me wrong, he's still fucking brilliant. He was taking grad classes in his major and giving papers at conferences in his minor. But he'd have no problem getting a girl (or guy? I don't know his sexual orientation) he's attracted to these days. He wouldn't need a meek mild girl just because he was once the most awkward 14 year old on the face of the planet.

Then again, FJ might be one of the ebil websites, like DailyKos, that the military bans from its IT domains.

No, not banned - at least not where I am... which is good, because I need my daily FJ fix.

Seriously, pomology, you totally get me. Minus the political ambitions, "douchiness" (pearl-clutch), and religious conversion, the Stephen I have heard about on this thread could be my husband (except Mr.Angri-la is WAY better looking). Smart, sarcastic, nerdy, hardworking, intellectually curious. But, he chose a woman like me, who shares many of the same characteristics that you use to describe yourself. I can't picture my guy trolling SAHD blogs for a wife.

I expect to see Meredith, babe in arms, smiling at Stephen's side @ the podium in a Jackie-O style dress in a few years. I hope, for her sake, it isn't while he is being indited for a scandal.

(edited because I had to be sure y'all know my husband is hotter than Stephen, not the other way around, and edited again just so you know why I edited, and so I could brag 2 more times about the hot man I come home to after work every day.)

I'm glad we get each other Angri-la because I was worried people would be reacting to me in a way that was like "WTF is wrong with you, why would you like that creeper?" :D

And I'm sure Mr. Angri-la is way better looking than Stephen. Especially because Stephen is not exactly eye candy. Also, he is better than Stephen because he chose a woman like you, not a woman like Meredith.

No, not banned - at least not where I am... which is good, because I need my daily FJ fix.

Glad to hear it :)

Guest Anonymous

I don't get it, I don't think there's been any big reveal. Ok so he was kind of a jerk (lots of smart people and lots of politicians are) and he had sex before marriage (again, no biggie)

I'm not talking so much about the content of what NeedsDistraction has said. Rather that by the time Meredith had closed her blog, it was too late to stop people talking about them. By the time Meredith found Stephen, we had found her, their friends had found us,and they can't make us go away by no longer blogging.

And I'm sure Mr. Angri-la is way better looking than Stephen. Especially because Stephen is not exactly eye candy. Also, he is better than Stephen because he chose a woman like you, not a woman like Meredith.

Thank you for that. You will find your own smart geeky prince who will celebrate the fact that you are smart, worldly, geeky and fabulous, and wouldn't have you any other way. No, I can't leave the topic alone. I want MORE!

Archived