IGNORED

Erika Shupe *leer smirk* Large Families on Purpose Part 6

Boogalou

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Hell yeah! I still get Christmas stockings. Maybe I'll get the future Mr Mango Fandango some kind of stocking thing, filled with mini aftershaves or whatever plus silly novelty gifts. 

Oh goodness, yes!  Our family (adults included) use stocking as an opportunity for secret gift cards, sexy gift cards among spouses, silly gifts, candy, gag gifts, socks, underpants (sexy or otherwise) and anything else we can think of to stuff 'em full.  We LOVE stockings!!

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With @Rubaiyat on this one.  Stockings are very fun!  As my child is still a believer, there are a few "parent" gifts from Santa, but otherwise my partner and I use it for all of that stuff.

I hate it when Erika leaves us hanging like this. Is she brushing Riley's teeth? Diapering the dog? Submissively berating Bob? Carefully doling out raisins to avoid unscheduled bathroom visits? I don't like being out of the loop in Shupe-land!

31 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I hate it when Erika leaves us hanging like this. Is she brushing Riley's teeth? Diapering the dog? Submissively berating Bob? Carefully doling out raisins to avoid unscheduled bathroom visits? I don't like being out of the loop in Shupe-land!

:clap:. I'm dying! :laughing-rofl:

I decided to click on their church's FB page. Bob and Erika have made a few visitors' posts. Although none since the end of 2014.

22 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I decided to click on their church's FB page. Bob and Erika have made a few visitors' posts. Although none since the end of 2014.

Interesting. I'm sure they're gems of wisdom. *smirk* *cackle* Links?

56 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

They probably stopped going since Erika knows better than anyone else ever, ever could.

1 hour ago, Jingerbread said:

They probably stopped going since Erika knows better than anyone else ever, ever could.

Bob reviewed the church back in November 2015:

We love this church! It's perfect for our family size and worship style. The people are great, the preaching is straight from the Bible and is lovingly firm and direct.

Lovingly firm and direct? Wut?? 

On 4/6/2016 at 4:46 PM, mango_fandango said:

Bob reviewed the church back in November 2015:

Lovingly firm and direct? Wut?? 

Dogmatic and not trying to cover it up, perhaps? At least that's how it reads to me. 

Another repost about making sweatshirt capes. She has made some capes out of t-shirts for Lacey and Lilly before you ask. 

28 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Another repost about making sweatshirt capes. She has made some capes out of t-shirts for Lacey and Lilly before you ask. 

Don't worry, though, they're pink!  *smile*

Erika uses both seams and seems for seams but it would seem that she seems to know the difference. 

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Wait...what about using things only for their intended purpose? 

She does specifically buy the large sweatshirts/t-shirts for making the capes, so I guess this is an exception to the rule. 

Let me guess... these sweatshirts came from... Value Village? *smirk* She's really into that store. 

4 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Let me guess... these sweatshirts came from... Value Village? *smirk* She's really into that store. 

Yup! And Goodwill. I think she bought then all at the same store, but wrote out both so she could do a link to her "becoming a master used clothing shopper" post.

Reading her used clothing shopper post.

She says;

For this reason I only donate to VV, as GW does not offer coupons for donations.

Maybe this is not true for all GW's, but my GW does offer coupons for donations. It also allows you to estimate the value your donated items and write off a tax form. She could not do this for VV because they are for-profit. Maybe Erika is not really optimizing here! 

Erika would though, I bet, love my local Goodwill spin off. They are affiliated with Goodwill but they operate much more like a regular store. Clothing is sorted by trends, they only accept name-brands (they sift them out of regular Goodwill clothes), they don't accept flawed clothes (with the exception of pilling, which is not really a rip/tear), and they don't look like a thrift store at all. It's super cute. I've gotten all kinds of nice brand name stuff there. 

I do believe that consistent use of used shoes is not advisable though but this is a Duggar problem too. Foot support is important. I admit, I've bought used shoes, but usually not for consistent wear. Some really bad stuff can happen if you are cheap on shoes (and I have some permanent damage from fencing so it's extra important to me!). 

There are also things in regular stores that you might as well buy new because they are so cheap. I think last time I went to Forever 21, camisoles were like $3? Target's 70% off section is also price-comparable to Goodwill for new things. So, toss up, I guess but because she's so scheduled and regimented, she'd never know. (Which, now I feel like I need to go to GW this weekend because I'm in an LDR and I've been trying to pick up some things here and there for the BF's drawer so that he doesn't have to pack so much to fly. )

8 minutes ago, Antimony said:

Reading her used clothing shopper post.

She says;

Maybe this is not true for all GW's, but my GW does offer coupons for donations. It also allows you to estimate the value your donated items and write off a tax form. She could not do this for VV because they are for-profit. Maybe Erika is not really optimizing here! 

Erika would though, I bet, love my local Goodwill spin off. They are affiliated with Goodwill but they operate much more like a regular store. Clothing is sorted by trends, they only accept name-brands (they sift them out of regular Goodwill clothes), they don't accept flawed clothes (with the exception of pilling, which is not really a rip/tear), and they don't look like a thrift store at all. It's super cute. I've gotten all kinds of nice brand name stuff there. 

I do believe that consistent use of used shoes is not advisable though but this is a Duggar problem too. Foot support is important. I admit, I've bought used shoes, but usually not for consistent wear. Some really bad stuff can happen if you are cheap on shoes (and I have some permanent damage from fencing so it's extra important to me!). 

There are also things in regular stores that you might as well buy new because they are so cheap. I think last time I went to Forever 21, camisoles were like $3? Target's 70% off section is also price-comparable to Goodwill for new things. So, toss up, I guess but because she's so scheduled and regimented, she'd never know. (Which, now I feel like I need to go to GW this weekend because I'm in an LDR and I've been trying to pick up some things here and there for the BF's drawer so that he doesn't have to pack so much to fly. )

I have a question about that- would it still be problematic if one removed the insoles and replaced them with new ones? I'm not interested in buying used shoes (ew. Just ew), but it's something I've always wondered about. 

And as for sweatshirts -> capes...Erika is the one who decides what the purpose of a thing is. The use is not inherent. It is what Erika says it is. If she says it's a cape, it's a cape. Erika is the omniscient one who know what is best for us all. :pb_lol:

Just now, princessmahina said:

I have a question about that- would it still be problematic if one removed the insoles and replaced them with new ones? I'm not interested in buying used shoes (ew. Just ew), but it's something I've always wondered about. 

And as for sweatshirts -> capes...Erika is the one who decides what the purpose of a thing is. The use is not inherent. It is what Erika says it is. If she says it's a cape, it's a cape. Erika is the omniscient one who know what is best for us all. :pb_lol:

Well, I'm not podiatrist but I think that would improve it. Insoles though can be as expensive as a new pair of shoes on sale. (I own a few supportive pairs and move them between shoes because keeping one pair shoe would be awful.) It depends on the shoe, too, I would think. Sneakers, for example, have a lot of support built into the base compared to the insole IME. 

1 minute ago, Antimony said:

Well, I'm not podiatrist but I think that would improve it. Insoles though can be as expensive as a new pair of shoes on sale. (I own a few supportive pairs and move them between shoes because keeping one pair shoe would be awful.) It depends on the shoe, too, I would think. Sneakers, for example, have a lot of support built into the base compared to the insole IME. 

I don't see any of the fundies ever doing it, but I thought I'd ask anyone. I've gotten those insoles and they can be crazy expensive. I've seen some at the grocery store that weren't too bad though- $15 or $20 I think. Still, that would be a bit much 11 people. It's almost as if having an exorbitant number of children on one small salary isn't a wise financial decision...

Yeah. I get buying used, but shoes I would draw the line at. What do fundies do about underwear? 

4 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Yeah. I get buying used, but shoes I would draw the line at. What do fundies do about underwear? 

Bulk packs I would think. Hopefully with initials put in it to avoid undie-sharing.

1 minute ago, princessmahina said:

Bulk packs I would think. Hopefully with initials put in it to avoid undie-sharing.

Erika has a Costco membership and Costco sells lots of these bulk packs of basics, so I assume Costco. Goodwill (and I hope VV) does not accept underwear (bras or panties), pets, gasoline, or mattresses. (Goodwill has this on a speaker that says what they don't take every half hour on their in-store radio show.)

OK, off topic, but I was checking an old post of hers, where she mentions making up baby bottles with ROOM TEMPERATURE WATER out of a water bottle. Isn't that a HUGE no-no? It needs to be sterile. She kept a water bottle in a cupboard and just used that. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived