IGNORED

Will the Stanley's EVER name "Baby Girl"??

Koala

Some of you may remember the Stanley's.  They had their children removed because Hal *the father* is batshit insane.  Anyway, during the whole debacle, his wife gave birth to a baby girl.  According to the Stanley's, they couldn't find a name they all agreed on (like they really care what their other kids think), and so they began to call the child Baby Girl.  Baby Girl is now approaching 10 months old, and it appears she still doesn't have a name.  IS this a new fundie thing??  Do they think if they don't name her, CPS can take her away?  What are the possible motives behind this foolishness?

Is that even possible?!

Over here, you have to report a birth with in 3 days, and when you do that you have to give the baby a name.

Edited to add that over here means The Netherlands.

Do these people have a blog?  

I wonder if they have a name, but just aren't publicly releasing it for privacy reasons?

She has a name! Melinda McKayla Michelle. I read it on the bringthestanleykidshome facebook page. 

15 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

She has a name! Melinda McKayla Michelle. I read it on the bringthestanleykidshome facebook page. 

When did they finally name her?  At Valentines they were still referring to her as "Baby Girl" on the FB page.  Craziness! 

"Baby Girl" got her name in December it looks like. She is still called Baby Girl online. 

9 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

"Baby Girl" got her name in December it looks like. She is still called Baby Girl online. 

Wow...so at about 7 months?  So weird.

I don't think you can leave the hospital (in the case of hospital births) here unless there's a name on the birth certificate.  I could be wrong, of course, but I could swear I remember someone telling me that after I'd had my daughter.  Which didn't really matter, we'd decided on her name months prior. 

My cousin's son and daughter-in-law were still dithering about their new baby's name in the hospital when they received the birth certificate paperwork to fill out. The new grandpa basically ordered "those two space cases" to pick a name or he would! (Fortunately, they settled on a lovely name, Emilia Elizabeth.)

3 hours ago, klynn said:

I don't think you can leave the hospital (in the case of hospital births) here unless there's a name on the birth certificate.  I could be wrong, of course, but I could swear I remember someone telling me that after I'd had my daughter.  Which didn't really matter, we'd decided on her name months prior. 

Someone may have told you that, I've heard other people say it, but it's not true. Assuming you are in the US. I'd you don't have then named before leaving you just have to file your own paper work. It's easier to have the hospital do it. 

I had one friend who took about 6wks to name a baby. They were expecting a boy and were surprised with a girl, lol. Even that I thought was weird. We always has a back up name of they other gender just in case. 

I was at a baby shower once, where the baby had no name. I forget how old the baby is, but it had been a home birth. She was very young though, but at least 3 weeks/

My BFF has children that are 5 & 6 and both times the OB staff (VA) told her that the baby would not be released until she had given them a name for the BC. With her son she was released several hours before him because she could not decide on a name even after being told she could change it later (for a fee).

2 hours ago, Trynn said:

I was at a baby shower once, where the baby had no name. I forget how old the baby is, but it had been a home birth. She was very young though, but at least 3 weeks/

True story. I worked in an institution for people with severe physical and intellectual disabilities. There was an individual there who was abandoned at birth and was never formally named. He was in his late teens when I first met him. His official name was Baby Boy--never changed on his birth certificate. I guess he wasn't expected to survive, but...The staff gave him an informal name--something like Michael or John--and I believe someone eventually got around to legally changing the birth certificate.

On to the larger question - why the ever living fuck do the Stanleys still have custody of those kids?

I don't know if it's still true but at one time a birth  could be registered as "Baby Boy (or Baby Girl) surname". Lots of young men didn't know their legal name was "Baby Boy" until they entered the military.

9 hours ago, klynn said:

Not anymore.  Used to be able to!  My mother was taken home before being named.  Her birth certificate has a blank for her first name.  She was given a nickname while they decided on a name.  They never did, and her nickname stuck and became her first name by default.

But now you have to have a name on the birth certificate.  You can't leave any blanks that aren't marked as optional, and a birth must be registered before you leave, which means a birth certificate.

Like VaSportsMom, I know babies who were held until names were decided.  Just this past week, a friend of mine had this happen.  She and her husband expected a girl, had a boy, and had no names in mind for a boy.  They were furious they couldn't take him home.  It took four days to decide on a name, and they're still mad since they felt they had to rush it so he wouldn't be kept a prisoner.

@Mary C Doates, orphans in China are assigned a name by the government unless the baby's given name is known.  The surnames of the abandoned babies are taken from a list of more common Chinese surnames so that the child will not be easily tagged as an orphan s/he grows up.

I thought fundies liked to name babies before they were born because it furthers their anti-choice agenda. At least thats what I got from the Duggars and Bates.

Maybe it varies by state, but my friend took her baby home without a name and she's only 4 now. I have heard even people who delivered at the same hospital say they were told they couldn't leave until they filled out the birth certificate, but that is obviously not true. 

Archived