IGNORED

Donald Trump wants bans on Muslims entering US

47of74

7 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

That's the GOP's modus operandi. Every election they find something to whip the right into a frenzy about, get the media to cover it obsessively until elections are over, then forget it ever happened.  They do it so they can get the votes of people who would be voting against their own self interests. If their followers are too concerned with things that won't happen to them (Ebola, anyone?), they won't have time to actually think about REAL issues.

Oh yes. Fear is a big seller for that group and it irks me to no end when I see people I know fall for their garbage. 

I was living in Dallas when the Ebola situation was going down. The amount of craziness that was floating around the city was unreal. Apparently everyone knew someone that knew someone that knew someone that had it and people where calling in from work and pulling their kids out if school because the world was coming to an end. I was more freaked out by the irrational people than I was Ebola. 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/16/2015 at 4:35 PM, Mecca said:

Oh yes. Fear is a big seller for that group and it irks me to no end when I see people I know fall for their garbage. 

I was living in Dallas when the Ebola situation was going down. The amount of craziness that was floating around the city was unreal. Apparently everyone knew someone that knew someone that knew someone that had it and people where calling in from work and pulling their kids out if school because the world was coming to an end. I was more freaked out by the irrational people than I was Ebola. 

While irrational, I wouldn't be freaked out by people who have decided to stay home and keep their kids home from school. They are home. They probably can't cause too much harm from there. Other than screaming about their fears on the interwebz.  Most people do little for their current "cause" other than talk about it on the Internet. 

Which shows me people don't really care. Not enough to do anything other than hide in their homes and complain on the Internet.  

People are either lazy or too chicken to help people in need. 

The biggest thing they do is to out and vote...seriously..and most people are such extremists, they are hardly Illini to step outside of their narrow world view and question things. Nothing ever ends up rectified Becaus people are too oblivious to bother and have no idea where or how to try to help other than casting an ignorant vote. so...yeah, you have people hiding in their houses over shit like Ebola. Let them. If it had been an issue, they may have saved their lives..or maybe not...and if they hadn't hid, maybe thy would have tie saving others and died doing so...but obviously the world isn't dying because of Ebola. ;) 

I think people become hyperbolic because they feel like nothing is being done (so why not do something yourself if you can? Sigh) and you end up with over half a million kids out of school because that is that we have come to. 

People are crazy.  That isn't limited to America. Unfortunately.  Something I was sad to discover while living abroad....

8 hours ago, Ali said:

Should we start a thread on which countries would be good to move to if Trump manages to get elected for those in the United States? My husband and I looked up the commute to his current job from Canada. It is not ideal, but it is doable.

We're only about two hours from Canada. Though I'm currently gunning for Italy or England. 

8 hours ago, Ali said: Should we start a thread on which countries would be good to move to if Trump manages to get elected for those in the United States? My husband and I looked up the commute to his current job from Canada. It is not ideal, but it is doable.

We're only about two hours from Canada. Though I'm currently gunning for Italy or England. 

My current choices are ROK or Australia. I love Europe and miss it very much,..but currently not my top choices, though Europe will likely always have my heart.

As a Canadian - I welcome you all to join us. I will teach you all the secret handshake later.  

45 minutes ago, Jeebusismycopilot said:

As a Canadian - I welcome you all to join us. I will teach you all the secret handshake later.  

I hear your money smells like maple syrup. I count that as a reason to move there.

Australian money is made of plastic :P

Speaking of ebola, what's the latest on it potentially becoming airborne?

6 minutes ago, CyborgKin said:

Australian money is made of plastic :P

So is our money (well the new stuff is!) it has windows and apparently our hundred dollar bills smell of maple syrup. 

6 minutes ago, Jeebusismycopilot said:

So is our money (well the new stuff is!) it has windows and apparently our hundred dollar bills smell of maple syrup. 

We did it first, and we export the tech to many other countries too! :D

It it smells like eucalyptus!  (Only if you rub eucalyptus leaves on it.)

Here's my genuine question.

Will the RNC genuinely back Trump? Paul Ryan hates him, and so do a lot of other big name conservatives. They know he can't be controlled. Will they give the public what they want and potentially hand the election over to Hillary/Bernie with a gold ribbon on it? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2015 at 0:00 PM, Mela99 said:

Will the RNC genuinely back Trump? Paul Ryan hates him, and so do a lot of other big name conservatives. They know he can't be controlled. Will they give the public what they want and potentially hand the election over to Hillary/Bernie with a gold ribbon on it? 

I see your genuine question and raise you another one - if Trump accumulates enough delegate votes, can the RNC do anything about it? 

10 minutes ago, Cactus said:

I see your genuine question and raise you another one - if Trump accumulates enough delegate votes, can the RNC do anything about it? 

I don't know. I really don't. I'm still petrified beyond belief, no matter what Nate Silver has had to say

On 12/21/2015 at 8:00 PM, Mela99 said:

Yes, the RNC will back Trump. There's a famous line about how Republicans fall in line with a candidate, while Democrats have to fall in love with a candidate. Whoever the nominee is will have the full backing of the RNC establishment (regardless of how said establishment actually feels about the person) as well as the South's electoral votes.

I just don't see how he becomes the republican nominee. ALL the nominees both repub and dem scare me to a degree. I'm sort of at the point where all of congress AND the president need to leave and let's start from scratch. I know the congress part will never happen, but a girl can wonder... Frankly, I don't care who is president as long as they get our country working again as the constitutional republic it's supposed to be...none of this legislating by executive order business. 

I think the current situation with trump is the product of people being unhappy with the political establishment. That's why Trump and Carson had such high ratings for so long...people want someone not in politics now...or they think they do. Problem is, as time goes on more and more people start realizing the bad part of the outsider--they have no real world govt experience. That's what sank Carson. He has no foreign policy background(neither does Trump) or experience in government. For better or worse, people are starting slowly to realize experience does help. 

30 minutes ago, Criscat said:

I think the current situation with trump is the product of people being unhappy with the political establishment. That's why Trump and Carson had such high ratings for so long...people want someone not in politics now...or they think they do. Problem is, as time goes on more and more people start realizing the bad part of the outsider--they have no real world govt experience. That's what sank Carson. He has no foreign policy background(neither does Trump) or experience in government. For better or worse, people are starting slowly to realize experience does help. 

I don't know if it is that people want someone who is not in politics or if it is that people want some kind of change and are tired of the "two-party system". Trump is pushing the limits and going against the norm. Same thing can be said for Bernie. Bernie has a bit more experience than Trump, but historically, he isn't a traditional Democrat, nor has he always been a democrat. 

People are unhappy. I really wonder how many people are happy with the establishment. 

Archived