IGNORED

Donald Trump wants bans on Muslims entering US

47of74

10 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

See, I think ALL immigrants play into this.

*shrugs*  Different dividing lines, I guess.

I clearly misunderstood your post - sorry about that.  Hating on him for being an anti immigration hypocrite is clearly inside my dividing line.  I read your post to mean that she was close to being a Muslim due to where she was born and that's what confused me.  

6 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I personally have great doubts about Trump's faith, but that's another thought.

I also find it interesting that he is Presbyterian, but they married in an Episcopal church.

I was married twice - I've always been Catholic married Catholics both times and the first time I married in a Baptist church and the second time Presbyterian.

RCC has more stringent scheduling standards than my flaky self could meet.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I clearly misunderstood your post - sorry about that.  Hating on him for being an anti immigration hypocrite is clearly inside my dividing line.  I read your post to mean that she was close to being a Muslim due to where she was born and that's what confused me.  

I'm honestly not sure what criteria he would use, which I think is part of my point.  I don't think he is sure either.  I think it would be whatever he had for a knee-jerk response in the moment, which is why I think lots of people should be concerned.

Are Middle Eastern Christians okay?  is it really solely about faith or are there other -isms hiding under that hideous hair?

(He cannot be xenophobic - he married Ivana, too, after all. /sarcasm.)

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm conflicted though.  My father was an immigrant so on his side I'm first generation...so I blame my dad?  But my mom's family came back in basically two waves - the Mayflower and other 16th century trips and the 1800s when they left Ireland because my family...we like access to food.

They all intermarried...so I should hate...myself?

Great - I'm a racist against a very small group of ...me.

How many generations of immigrants do we have to go back to count as bad? My grandma and then my great and great-great grandparents is/were immigrants. No Mayflower voyages here. 

But we're also Jewish and tend to get blamed for things anyway, so does the immigration part matter? Do I just blame my grandma or myself/my entire family?

55 minutes ago, Woosh said:

Melania was born in Slovenia a (at one time overwhelmingly) predominantly Catholic country.  The official language is Slovene.  She is fluent in  English, French, Slovene, Serbian, and Austrian German, but if I had to venture a guess I might say her native language is Slovene.  She married Trump in an Episcopal church.  I think he might let her in the country even if she wasn't hot.  But who knows.

ETA - in 2002, 2.4% of the population in Slovenia was Islamic.  10% were atheist.

OT: Does Melania have an eye condition that causes her to squint? I never realized what beautiful eyes she has, because until today, I'd never seen a picture where she wasn't squinting.

4 hours ago, sawasdee said:

I think Sir Tim Berners- Lee, who really did invent the internet, would say to Trump, 'and who did you say you were?'.......

Sir Tim Berners-Lee invented the world wide web, not the Internet itself, which was already in existence. The US government could be said to be the inventor of the Internet when it built the ARPANET, which connected computer systems in the military and in universities starting in the 1960s. The world wide Web, to put it in crude terms, is the section of the Internet with hypertext and pictures. The whole thing about Al Gore supposedly inventing the Internet comes from the fact that he promoted legislation in the 1980s and 1990s to expand ARPANET and increase public access to online resources. However, it's a mistake to say that a single person invented the whole Internet.

1 hour ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I'm honestly not sure what criteria he would use, which I think is part of my point.  I don't think he is sure either.  I think it would be whatever he had for a knee-jerk response in the moment, which is why I think lots of people should be concerned.

Are Middle Eastern Christians okay?  is it really solely about faith or are there other -isms hiding under that hideous hair?

(He cannot be xenophobic - he married Ivana, too, after all. /sarcasm.)

Just to follow up.  (Sometimes my brain doesn't put the dots together all at the same time.)

Another reason I think this is particularly apropos to Melania is that the Slavic nations all had connections to Bosnia-H (not going to try to spell that) - and they are the countries I think of when I think of a "first" refugee crisis that I was really aware of.

So that region had huge unrest in the 90s (which is when I sort of became more globally aware) and so I see parallels between that and what is now happening in the Middle East.

Donald Trump once again refused to close the door to a third-party presidential bid as he told CNN that he not being treated well by the “establishment."

I think it's highly unlikely unless they break the pledge to me, because it's a two-way street," he said in an interview airing Wednesday night on “CNN Tonight with Don Lemon.”

It's unclear what exactly would qualify as breaking that pledge by Trump's calculation, but he said that he needs a level playing field.

“If they don't treat me with a certain amount of decorum and respect, if they don't treat me as the front-runner, by far as the front-runner, if the playing field is not level, then certainly all options are open," he said.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/262714-trump-wont-rule-out-third-party-bid

Be nice to me, or I'll take my ball and leave. :roll:

3 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I personally have great doubts about Trump's faith, but that's another thought.

I also find it interesting that he is Presbyterian, but they married in an Episcopal church.

Well my parents were married in the United church but we were all baptised and raised in the Anglican (Episcopal) church. Fiancé's was baptised in the United church but they eventually went to the Presbyterian church. When his parents moved out to the country, they didn't like the Presbyterian church in town, so they went back to the United church.  So in that respect, I don't see a huge deal about which church he attends. 

And the comedians at Funny or Die are taking their swipes at he who gold plates his shits now;

The comedians at Funny Or Die took direct aim at Donald Trump with a spoof of the Christmas classic “White Christmas.”

It features an actor wearing a wig to mock the GOP presidential candidate’s trademark fluffy orange hair, replacing some of the lyrics to make it clear Trump is dreaming of a holiday with only white people in it.

The video mocks Trump’s racist rhetoric since launching his bid for the White House with racism.

Here's a link to the video on the Funny or Die site...

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/a4y9

We can relax. Donald Trump has many Muslim friends that agree with his idea to block all Muslims from entering the United States.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-muslim-friends_5668eb43e4b0f290e522021c

Also, I also saw a news clip this morning where he told a reporter that he is the least racist person that he has ever met.

Just now, Ali said:

We can relax. Donald Trump has many Muslim friends that agree with his idea to block all Muslims from entering the United States.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-muslim-friends_5668eb43e4b0f290e522021c

Also, I also saw a news clip this morning where he told a reporter that he is the least racist person that he has ever met.

Whew - I'm so glad that's cleared up!  I was worried but now have total peace of mind.

Btw - I would just like to announce that I am the smartest, most beautiful, kindest, funniest, talented, consistently right (and modest) person I have ever met.  You can take my word for that!

10 minutes ago, Ali said:

This may just be wild speculation, but does he start sentences with "I'm not a racist, but..."?

6 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

This may just be wild speculation, but does he start sentences with "I'm not a racist, but..."?

I just saw the clip again. He said, "I am the least racist person that you have ever met." He repeated the statement a second time and then they cut the clip. Maybe they cut out the but part of his statement.

8 minutes ago, Ali said:

Who exactly are these Muslim "friends" Trump speaks of? He always refers to other groups with the definite article:  "the Jews," "the blacks," "the Muslims," etc. Whenever a person prefaces the name of a religious or ethnic group with the definite article, you know what follows is going to be racist.

I have a prediction about The Donald (and I predicted long ago that TLC would bring the Duggars back, so I have a track record) and what his life will be like when this sham ends.  I predict that his business empire will suffer and that his wife will divorce him.  I just don't see how he goes back to business as usual after all the damage he has inflicted on the country. It is my fervent hope that this prophesy comes reality.

2 minutes ago, Becket70 said:

I have a prediction about The Donald (and I predicted long ago that TLC would bring the Duggars back, so I have a track record) and what his life will be like when this sham ends.  I predict that his business empire will suffer and that his wife will divorce him.  I just don't see how he goes back to business as usual after all the damage he has inflicted on the country. It is my fervent hope that this prophesy comes reality.

Trump has been divorced and bankrupted multiple times and has always managed to bounce back. Even if he doesn't get the GOP nomination, I can see himself building a right-wing media empire like Glenn Beck or even Ron Paul.

20 minutes ago, Ali said:

I just saw the clip again. He said, "I am the least racist person that you have ever met." He repeated the statement a second time and then they cut the clip. Maybe they cut out the but part of his statement.

Oh, I'm not saying that he actually said "I'm not a racist, but..." in so many words. He just strikes me as one of those people who would be racist, after claiming not to be, based on his statement that he has Muslim friends.

2 hours ago, Ali said:

I saw that clip, with Barbara Walters. Here's what he said.

"Are you a bigot?" Walters asked.

"Not at all. Probably the least of anybody you've ever met," Trump replied.

"Because?" Walters pressed.

"Because I'm not," Trump said. "I'm a person that has common sense. I'm a smart person. I know how to run things. I know how to make America great again. This is about making America great again."

Absolutely NONE of which has anything to do with whether or not he is a racist. He just dodged the question with his usual self-aggrandizing bombast.

On 12/9/2015 at 7:10 PM, GiggleOfGirls said:

So, earlier today, the White House press secretary came out and said that Trump's statement about Muslims would disqualify him from being president. Does that statement actually carry any weight at all? 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/08/politics/donald-trump-josh-earnest-disqualified-president-muslims/index.html

I think it's a moral disqualification, not legal.

1 hour ago, sparkles said:

I saw that clip, with Barbara Walters. Here's what he said.

Absolutely NONE of which has anything to do with whether or not he is a racist. He just dodged the question with his usual self-aggrandizing bombast.

This was a different clip with a black male reporter on CNN.

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Who exactly are these Muslim "friends" Trump speaks of? He always refers to other groups with the definite article:  "the Jews," "the blacks," "the Muslims," etc. Whenever a person prefaces the name of a religious or ethnic group with the definite article, you know what follows is going to be racist.

This is what I and every rational intelligent person wants to know. 

I am so scared for the US if this is the pattern for the Presidential primaries. I am even more scared for the rest of the world, who will suffer from US Presidential decisions without any input. The US affects all of us.

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Trump has been divorced and bankrupted multiple times and has always managed to bounce back. Even if he doesn't get the GOP nomination, I can see himself building a right-wing media empire like Glenn Beck or even Ron Paul.

People used to joke that the only thing that could survive a nuclear war was cockroaches. In terms of staying power, Donald Trump is an extra-large cockroach with a tribble on top of his head.

I hit "quote" on the wrong comment, and this stupid box won't let me delete it.  I'm sorry for the pointless quote boxes, but I can't get rid of them.  I tried going as far as restarting my computer, but they were saved to my comment box.

On 12/9/2015 at 9:04 AM, Catey said:

Even the people that I consider to be full on batshit crazy are leaping over each other to admonish him and distance themselves from his ramblings.

So I just do not see him getting the Conservative nomination, he will end up either rage quitting or he will run as a Independent candidate and a very small group of wildly insane people following his lead while the rest of the right goes back to making sure that Hilary does not win.

Can we trade people?  I know a lot who support him.  My grandparents and I aren't talking right now over their support of Trump.

I think he might get the nomination.  He's making it okay to latent racists and assholes to let it out and take action.  He's enjoying the ego-stroking too much.

Archived