IGNORED

Law and Order: Duggars

Kira

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, this is just WRONG! And I hope the Duggars sue the pants off LAW & ORDER.

This is exploitation of the worst kind. This show did this about a murder in NY, too. It was still very fresh on all our minds,the gruesomeness, the grief, we lived it every day. And L&O dragged it all up again before the girl was cold in her grave. Plus, they screw  w/details & ppl watching will take it as fact. It's just wrong.

Are you actually feeling sorry for them? :my_huh:The Duggars deserve all the criticism they have received and will receive in the future. The Duggars don't deserve any sympathy.

The entire Law & Order franchise is rooted in taking real stories and fictionalizing them. This is not the first time this has been done and it won't  be the last. It's not like they are copying and pasting what happened with the Duggars and turning it into an episode. They are adding their own twists. How is this exploitative? It's bringing to light some real issues. I'm hoping that by the end of the episode people will realize what is wrong with fundamentalism and the consequences it has. I am very happy that they are doing this episode.

I think that's why L&O always have that disclaimer associated w/the show; I don't remember the exact words, mind you, but it's something along the lines of "the stories may be occasionally based on r/l situations, but the names are changed", etc. 

This one does hit close to home for the Smuggars, to be sure, but they must've had developed a thick skin by now; or not. 

:: shrugs ::

Either way, it promises to be a good show.

I'm sorry, this is just WRONG! And I hope the Duggars sue the pants off LAW & ORDER.

This is exploitation of the worst kind. This show did this about a murder in NY, too. It was still very fresh on all our minds,the gruesomeness, the grief, we lived it every day. And L&O dragged it all up again before the girl was cold in her grave. Plus, they screw  w/details & ppl watching will take it as fact. It's just wrong.

I thought  for something like this, where  it  is  such a known story,  that  they  usually purposely change  parts of it so that  it isn't in lawsuit territory.  Also,  maybe  I'm wrong, but when I was in the hospital I watched   SVU a lot and I seemed  to remember a disclaimer  about  stories being fictional.    (I'm kind of over it now, but of course have to watch this one, with bells on!!)   Wether it is wrong or right, this isn't the first rodeo  for  SVU  so  I think they  are VERY aware of the laws involved in doing something like this.  

@ksgranola1

Sorry, but i think by putting their lifestyle out there on tv for 10 years, the Duggars must accept any fictionalised version of their particular brand of Christianity. They have invited comment by putting their family in the public eye for a return of a very good income. This is the downside - they are fair game as inspiration for other shows. And by covering up the problems with Josh, they almost put out a welcome mat for programmes that wished to show a social conscience with regard to the realities of reality tv in 2015!

It is a shame there isn't a girl baby in the photo lineup--held by a sistermom & wearing a headband that can be seen from the International Space Station.

If people are stunted enough to think that a tv show that does dramatic stories is an example of factual reality, that's on them and they should really think about educating themselves on reality. And, what are the Duggars going to do about a L&O episode? There is no lawsuit to be had. If they try, I hope the authorities slap THEIR hands for even attempting it. Good hell, it's a frigging TV show. There is zero "wrong" with L&O taking any story that has made headlines ever, and making a story about it. A lawsuit. That's just ridiculously stupid.

Is Buzzard doing a recap???

She is accepting an award for something tonight so she won't be around for a live recap. Not sure if she's planning to do one later or not.

I've got a plot theory that the 13 year old got pregnant by the oldest girl's husband, and the family sees it as a blessing because the oldest girl turns out to be infertile and this is a way for them to start their quiver. Oh ick. I hate that I let my imagination run wild.

I've got a plot theory that the 13 year old got pregnant by the oldest girl's husband, and the family sees it as a blessing because the oldest girl turns out to be infertile and this is a way for them to start their quiver. Oh ick. I hate that I let my imagination run wild.

That's crazy and i am sure it won't happen, but dog i love your mind

That's crazy and i am sure it won't happen, but dog i love your mind

Thanks! I am a journalist for a living, and I was trying to think of a scenario that would be Duggar-esque creepiness, but not the expected perpetrators everybody's guessing such as Gothard/the father/the brother. And, then, I let my mind run wild.

Bugger we are only on season 17 here in the UK on sky universal.

looking forward to the recap though. 

Congrats Buzzard on your award too 

I am embarrassed to admit how much I am looking forward to this.

I'm not. I love the show & have always wanted to see their take on a situation like the Duggars. :output_eeMbjt:

@ksgranola1 - public figures have a very low expectation of privacy in the law.  If they didn't want their dirty laundry fictionalized on TV, they should have kept their wacky BS pseudo-religious fuckery to themselves.

I just hope that L&O does not do a mix up with the Colt family... and have the mom infertile so each daughter has to birth a sibling-offspring.

:brainbleach:

@ksgranola1 - public figures have a very low expectation of privacy in the law.  If they didn't want their dirty laundry fictionalized on TV, they should have kept their wacky BS pseudo-religious fuckery to themselves.

I just hope that L&O does not do a mix up with the Colt family... and have the mom infertile so each daughter has to birth a sibling-offspring.

:brainbleach:

What the actual fuck???!!!???!???!!???

1. Enough will have been changed from the real-life events to prevent any potential lawsuits. The Duggars can certainly try to sue, but I highly doubt that they would win or be allowed to pursue a case - the executives on the show and network have experience with covering their asses.

2. The Duggars voluntarily pursued reality tv fame, knowing that Josh had molested five innocent girls and that they had protected him from legal ramifications. Like any other public figures, they have opened themselves to dramatization and fictionalization. And, to be quite honest, the Duggar parents and Josh fully deserve any negative attention they receive. I feel empathy for his victims, especially his sisters, but they have only their parents to blame for their current situation.

3. It is not the show's responsibility to educate the public about what the facts of the real life case are - if this was Dateline or 48 Hours then yes, I would agree on that, but this is a fictional show. It is their jobs to entertain. If there are viewers stupid enough to believe a fictional television show is presenting 100% accurate information, that's their own damn fault.

4. While I am very sorry to hear about that young girl, the show did absolutely nothing wrong in basing an episode off of the circumstances surrounding her death. Doing so has been done for hundreds of years by artists, actors, and authors - life inspires art and art inspires life.

Did you know that Edgar Allan Poe wrote a short story based off a real life murder? It was entitled, "The Mystery of Marie Roget," and was so close to actual events it could be considered a work of non-fiction. He also wrote a short story based off another murder - "The Tell-Tale Heart." Not to mention the many Shakespearean Historical plays - such as Richard III, Macbeth, and Henry IV.

Please see the following examples of disclaimers the show uses in their ripped from the headlines episodes:

Disclaimer_Indifference.jpg

lo-disclaimer.png

The only Diggars I feel sorry for are Josh's victims, particularly the younger two. Also, the younger two didn't go on TV to minimize the abuse they endured. So yes I feel bad if this is going to make them feel exploited....

At the same time, this episode is going to educate a lot of people. I have mixed feelings about it, but I'm not sure I feel TLC shouldn't air the episode.

We discussed the Colt family a while back.  Colt is a pseudonym for an extended Australian family, living near MossVale, NSW, who make the Duggars problem with Josh being touchy feely look insignificant.  Google Colt family Australia.  I promise you, you will be squirming, it's so awful.  

Here's a link for anyone who doesn't feel like eating any time soon.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/secluded-hills-hid-a-familys-darkest-secret-20131206-2ywps.html

I'll just add that the SMH is a reputable newspaper, not a trashy tabloid.

We discussed the Colt family a while back.  Colt is a pseudonym for an extended Australian family, living near MossVale, NSW, who make the Duggars problem with Josh being touchy feely look perfectly ok.  Google Colt family Australia.  I promise you, you will be squirming, it's so awful.  

i have spent like 10 minutes reading, and i think i will throw up if i spend a secon more ln it. And i thought my great or great-great grandparents being cousins was weird

i have spent like 10 minutes reading, and i think i will throw up if i spend a secon more ln it. And i thought my great or great-great grandparents being cousins was weird.

I think someone might have bought up the Colt family  during that whole cousins marrying cousins discussion.  I promise you, they're not indicative of a Australian families!  They're seriously, seriously screwed up, for generations. 

I don't drink on weekdays, but I'm off tomorrow so I stopped and got a bottle of Chardonnay so I can drink and yell at the tv tonight.:whitewine:

Archived