]I'm sort of boggled at Lori's having been sexually abused/assaulted ... while still remaining so callous towards other victims of sexual abuse.

I've observed in the past that those who have not yet dealt with past traumas are likely to be harsher towards others suffering similar experiences. "I got over it! So should you!" seems to be a common sentiment. But they didn't really "get over it." They just sort of stuffed it down.

Yeah, I was scratching my head at that, especially since she said that there was a threat to call the police on the boy. Lori seems to switch sides on sexual abuse issues. Way before, Joshgate 1.0 broke, Lori posted twice about being against sleepovers due to the possibility of girls being molested by men or boys in the home. After Joshgate 1.0, she defended Joshie boy and ignored the fact that Josh molested a baby sitting that was sleeping in the Duggars' house. Lori and one of her fangirls also tried to downplay the situation by saying that Josh was curious. The fangirl also said something many boys do those things out of curiosity.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An aside. Sort of. On the portal page just now, have an ad for a company that appraises and helps you sell your "dental practice." Wondered--for a very brief second--what about a snarky anti-fundy site would make the computer bank think we'd be a target? Lol!

If the actual subject of dental practices shows up on any other thread here, I'd be interested in sussing that out.

ppssellsdds.com/aboutpps.html

Today, Lori posted about the dangers of television.

I read the post but did not retain it.

Does Lori have fewer commenters or is she just not letting anything that isn't positive come through?

Does Lori seem to be contradicting herself even more than usual? I've noticed lately that she is saying contradictory things within the same post :evil-eye:

Our Principal in our elementary school had a large paddle and used it when needed. Therefore, there wasn't a lot of misbehaving going on.

I was teased a lot

During one difficult time, a boy was sticking his pencil on my

private parts

These are wildly differing statements. In one breath she claims a "large paddle" (which she's fondly referred to in the past) eliminated most behavior problems, and in the next she's talking about bullying and being molested by a fellow student.

Then today she wrote about all of the "husband bashing" going on in Bible studies.

Here she claims that she isn't able to recall what was discussed when she went to Bible study:

When I was younger, I can't recall what we discussed around our group tables at bible study since I may have been participating in bashing our husbands and complaining about raising children.

The wording here is strange. She can't recall it since she might have been participating in it? How does she even know it was happening, since she can't recall what they discussed??

Just like magic, in the next paragraph she remembers:

I remember when I would hear gripping about husbands and would participate; it would just make me more upset with my husband. God hates complaining!

:evil-eye:

Gripping vs. Griping :lol:

I wonder if her followers notice these discrepancies. For me, they kill her credibility.

Also:

"If a woman is having problems within her marriage, she should be going to a godly, older woman for mentoring; not sharing it with a group of women."

So, if this group of women is attending a bible class, then would not said women be considered godly? Or are they just not old enough? I don't understand the 'share it with a godly older woman, but not with a group of (godly?) women' idea.

Anyway, god hates complaining apparently (i.e. he hates women complaining, not himself complaining). :sleeping-boring:

When I was growing up this was called LYING! I don't know why her readers (if they don't) see right through this! But it's quite fascinating and mind blowing to follow, that's for sure! It just continues to make my head spin that by her standards WE are all going to hell! :)

A husband tagged his wife in the Facebook comments section. I really hope it's because they were talking about how ridiculous something like that is, and not because he thinks she shouldn't go... a woman upthread in the comments said she preferred to spend the time with her family. That's one thing, but I don't think it means you should never spend time with girlfriends, or the like.

Then today she wrote about all of the "husband bashing" going on in Bible studies.

Here she claims that she isn't able to recall what was discussed when she went to Bible study:

The wording here is strange. She can't recall it since she might have been participating in it? How does she even know it was happening, since she can't recall what they discussed??

Just like magic, in the next paragraph she remembers:

:evil-eye:

She wants to remember the whining about husbands that other women did and forget her own.

Comment from today's post

I only do Bible study with family and very close friends who are of the same school of thought. Anything else would just be bad for my Walk with God. People who think they know the bible better than we do and contradict God's word are usually sent away from our group with no second chances. One time we allowed a neighbor to join us and she tried to give us scriptural basis for abortion. She didn't even last the first half hour of our four hour session.

Lori's response

I do believe Bible study should be a place to learn the Word of God, NOT try to manipulate it to say something it does not.

The one I attended up until a few years ago, however, there was no bashing of husbands or children but there was no encouraging each other about loving and obeying our husbands, loving our children, being chaste, discreet and keepers at home. These are the things women need to be learning about and encouraged in the most, according to God's Word.

Re: the bolded; this intrigues me. I don't know where in the Bible it states that the topics she mentions are THE MOST IMPORTANT and should receive the most study. I know she and Ken like to say that the more a topic is mentioned, the more important it is to God, but this statement is just so arrogant. Lori is basically saying that since these are HER favorite things to teach on, then it is God's most important lesson.

What about Galatians 5, which includes The Fruit of the Spirit? Or Matthew 5, where Jesus preaches his Sermon on the Mount and lists what we call The Beatitudes? Or the book of James, which speaks of taming the tongue? Who is Lori to say what God's word considers THE MOST IMPORTANT?

Revelation 22:18 ~ I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this books: if anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book.

Also, as has been mentioned before, Lori sure knows a lot of unhappy women :? . I attended Bible study quite regularly when my kids were little. We took the study time seriously and then went out to lunch to visit and let the kids play together. If someone happened to mention an issue she was having with her husband, this was met with empathy and suggestions for solutions - or perhaps just sympathetic ears from dear friends. It certainly wasn't an open forum for a bunch of women ridiculing their husbands. I highly doubt this is what was occurring when Lori says she's witnessed husband bashing at nearly all women's Bible studies.

Lori is one who will take the most benign comment and turn it into a severe insult; just as she takes a sincere cry for help as whining for which she has no empathy or compassion. Basically she is unable to read and encompass normal human emotions, so her idea of "bashing" should definitely be taken with a grain of salt.

I only do Bible study with family and very close friends who are of the same school of thought. Anything else would just be bad for my Walk with God. People who think they know the bible better than we do and contradict God's word are usually sent away from our group with no second chances. One time we allowed a neighbor to join us and she tried to give us scriptural basis for abortion. She didn't even last the first half hour of our four hour session.

Lori's response

I do believe Bible study should be a place to learn the Word of God, NOT try to manipulate it to say something it does not.

If they happened to be interpreting something wrong they'd never find out.

Lori's response

*snipped*

Sorry I didn't notice your post before I commented because that up there ^^^ is HILARIOUS!

Who the FRICK wants to "study" with people who think the exact same way you do on everything??! Surely the whole bloody point of studying in a group is to gain a fuller understanding by hearing opposition viewpoints. Otherwise, you might as well be reading it alone in your room, right?

I know, I know.....it's a fundie thing....

But SERIOUSLY!!!

:angry-banghead:

Who the FRICK wants to "study" with people who think the exact same way you do on everything??!

People who are Never Learning? People who think if you disagree with them, you disagree with The God of the Universe?

Also, people who have the following disclaimer at the top of their comments section:

"Mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which you have learned and avoid them." {Romans 16:17} All comments WILL be moderated before being published. Thank you for your patience.

Lori's response

From thatonejgirl.blogspot.com/ . Funny blog. Someone should fess up.

Who the FRICK wants to "study" with people who think the exact same way you do on everything??! Surely the whole bloody point of studying in a group is to gain a fuller understanding by hearing opposition viewpoints. Otherwise, you might as well be reading it alone in your room, right?

I know, I know.....it's a fundie thing....

But SERIOUSLY!!!

:angry-banghead:

These are my thoughts exactly! I would be bored to death if I were, for example, on fj with thousands of people who all thought exactly what I think about every single issue on the planet. Critical thinking, anyone?

These are my thoughts exactly! I would be bored to death if I were, for example, on fj with thousands of people who all thought exactly what I think about every single issue on the planet. Critical thinking, anyone?

But why should you take the effort and the trouble to actually think when god himself explained what to do in a manner appropriate to a civilization of 2000 years ago!

Also to think you need a brain.

Also:

"If a woman is having problems within her marriage, she should be going to a godly, older woman for mentoring; not sharing it with a group of women."

So, if this group of women is attending a bible class, then would not said women be considered godly? Or are they just not old enough? I don't understand the 'share it with a godly older woman, but not with a group of (godly?) women' idea.

Anyway, god hates complaining apparently (i.e. he hates women complaining, not himself complaining). :sleeping-boring:

She means the one, the only, the Godly Mentor, Lori herself!

No one understands the word of god (through Ken) like Lori! :roll:

From thatonejgirl.blogspot.com/ . Funny blog. Someone should fess up.

From thatonejgirl:

He slipped me his number in with the cucumbers.

Niiiiice. A new poe to enjoy. 8-)

Lori's readers are taking her to task today over her apparent endorsement of Halloween. At one point Lori becomes flustered and has to change the verse in her post when a reader points out that it's taken completely out of context. She replaces it with another, and when it's again pointed out that the verse has absolutely nothing to do with the subject matter, she resorts to claiming she must obey her "head".

Lori:

Ken has always believed it was okay to celebrate and since he is my head, I obey him.

Lori:

If the husband decides to not celebrate it, then the family should definitely not celebrate it. However, through the years, I have seen the wives make a big stand against Halloween when the husbands want to celebrate it and this is wrong, in my opinion. If the husband wants to celebrate it, then the wife should follow his lead since they are the leader of the home.

Take note: She says that Ken has always wanted to celebrate Halloween and through the years she has seen wives go against their husbands on this matter and she thinks that is wrong.

Now you might be thinking, how unlike Lori to concede to Ken! Yeah, not so fast. This isn't the first time Lori's posted about Halloween:

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2012/10/celebrating-halloween.html

Lori:

I loved Halloween as a child...the costumes, the parties, the trick-or-treating.

When I was college, I studied the history of Halloween and decided I didn't want to celebrate it anymore.

When my children were young, I started celebrating it again...making their costumes, going to the church festival, and trick-or-treating.

Later, I was convicted about it again and quit celebrating it. We'd go to Disneyland with the kids that night or go out to dinner.

The pastor at my church sees it differently...We have a big fall carnival at our church. He tells us if we are having a neighborhood Halloween party, go there instead and be a light...laughing, loving, serving, and talking with our neighbors. Hand out candy with a warm smile and kind words.

I agree with him...

P.S. I told my sisters I was writing about celebrating Halloween. They asked me what I wrote. I said, "I did, then I didn't. Then I did, then I didn't. Then my pastor told me to, so I did!" Just a quick recap! ;)

So the choice to celebrate Halloween has always hinged on whatever Lori's position was at the time. Unless you count the time she allowed her pastor to make the choice for her family. Ken has never factored into the equation.

Which brings me to another train of thought. Lori seems easily persuaded by whatever her pastor tells her. She wrote a similar post about Santa:

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2011/12/believing-in-santa.html

When Alyssa was five years old, our pastor taught that celebrating Christmas was great. Just get rid of Santa. Christmas should revolve around Jesus and His birth, not Santa. We thought that was very good advice so we went home and broke the news to Alyssa. {We have it on video and it is quite funny.}

Needless to say, she was not happy about this. She cried and complained, but finally she understood that Christmas was about Jesus and we, her parents, bought her gifts to celebrate His birthday.

She recounted the same story on Facebook:

When our oldest 2 were 3 and 5, our pastor preached a sermon and said that celebrating Christmas was great, just get rid of Santa Claus and have the holiday centered around Jesus instead. We went home and told our 2 there was no Santa. We have it on tape and it is hysterical! They were very upset but then decided it was okay and Ryan, who was then 3, pointed to Ken and said, "You are Santa Claus!"

Again, the choice for the Alexander family is made not by Ken, but rather the pastor. They don't even seem to reflect on it. The pastor said do it, and they immediately went home and informed the kids there was a new sheriff in town and he said no Santa. :evil-eye:

Koala wrote

Again, the choice for the Alexander family is made not by Ken, but rather the pastor. They don't even seem to reflect on it. The pastor said do it, and they immediately went home and informed the kids there was a new sheriff in town and he said no Santa. :evil-eye:

That seems to me to exemplify what spiritual and intellectual giants these two really are.

She was really caught off guard today. Her original post had nothing whatsoever to do with husbands making the choice on whether or not to celebrate Halloween, but as her readers have called her out, she's resorted to her old standby (while simultaneously demonstrating that she didn't follow her own advice).

One reader wrote:

I am deeply deeply disappointed by this article. Light has nothing in common with darkness. I wish you cited scripture in support of celebrating evil. Instead it's just a bunch of womens opinions.

Yeah, that won't go well.

File Under: When readers make Lori look totally rational :shock:

We don't celebrate Halloween. Instead, when little children come to our door dressed in their wicked costumes, we open the door, fall on our knees, and pray for the wicked world in which these poor children have been introduced. Then we hand them a tract and say a prayer for God to be with them.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived