IGNORED

My Dog is Getting Barkier

happy atheist

My dog, a female Golden, is about a year and a half old. She's developed a bad habit of barking at weird random stuff outside, and her habit is getting worse. It seems to have started when the weather got nice and we opened the windows. I think she was suddenly aware of a lot of stuff she'd never really paid attention to before, and she won't shut up about it. But she has really weird standards about what is worth barking over.

Someone in our driveway? Time to get happy and excited. No barking.

Someone ringing the doorbell? Oh boy! How fun! No barking.

The neighbor on his riding mower two yards away, seen fleetingly though bushes? Holy fuck! Bark!

Someone walking a dog on the other side of the street, and that dog is not barking or anything? Bark!

Someone in the across-the-street neighbor's driveway? Bark!

Today I had her in the car and she barked at a little old lady who walked past us at a stoplight. That's the first she's barked in the car.

Some things I can understand, like when there was a deer in the backyard, or the meter reader. Or when the neighborhood beagle is walking by and does his caterwauling. Sure. No problem. I don't like it, but I can understand it.

When she barks we do not yell at her. We quietly say, "Quiet" and "Shhh." When we call her away from the window she stays on alert for a long time and is hard to distract. She'll sit with us, but she'll keep doing these little tiny woofs. It's like she spooled up a certain number and can't stop until she uses them up.

We have never had any scary incidents with intruders or anything. When she's out for a walk and we encounter other people and dogs, she wants to play. She doesn't bark when we're out walking, even if other dogs bark at us.

Does anyone have advice for helping her chill the hell out?

Today I had her in the car and she barked at a little old lady who walked past us at a stoplight.

This part cracked me up!!! The visual I have in my mind....lol that poor old lady lol!

I don't really have any advice....my dog is more whiny....and getting whinier...but do you think it could be anxiety? I know that sounds silly but dogs can get it. Most likely it is (like you said) now that she's not really a puppy anymore maybe she's more aware of her surroundings (?) I'd mention it to the vet next time you're there just to see what they say.

*edited for spelling*

The old lady was not traumatized. The barking isn't a full-on freak out "I'm gonna kill you!!!", it's more like "Hey!" and then, "I said Hey!"

She's not really whiney unless the neighbor cats are on the porch taunting her, or if she can see the chipmunks in our stone wall.

The old lady was not traumatized. The barking isn't a full-on freak out "I'm gonna kill you!!!", it's more like "Hey!" and then, "I said Hey!"

See? Now why did you have to go & ruin my funny visual?!?! ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean about the different barks :) Makes sense!

Hmm. My girl's started to do that too, but she's a rescue so I take it as her finally feeling comfortable enough to voice her opinions...about everything. When my mom's do that, she makes a weird noise they don't like. If my girl does, I clap very loudly to distract her (advice courtesy of Barkbox). It works for me.

Oh hey, my dog is your dog! The neighbor across the street and three houses down just got home? Holy shit, bark bark bark! Someone breaking into our car in the middle of the night literally right outside our bedroom window? Quiet contemplation.

Sorry, no advice, just commiseration.

I was thinking about something we did to teach our big guy to stop jumping and it could help.

Fair warning the only animal training knowledge I have is from research when something was going on with one of ours and once the behavior is tolerable we tend to be happy with that so we don't have those perfectly obedient show dogs or anything. We're lazy so we tend to shoot for 'not too obnoxious' rather than OMG I'd never know you had a dog.

We're also positive reinforcement type people when it comes to discipline.

I make these and always have a big stash on hand (they freeze beautifully) and they are great because they can be cut up super tiny so you can reward behavior over and over without worrying about too much treat intake.

.crazycrumb.com/dog-liver-treats.html (I typically use whole wheat flour, but if I'm out and use the plain they don't notice.)

Tip - pizza cutter is the only way to go for cutting into little training bits.

With the jumping we'd say no and when he'd stop, even for a second, treat bit. Kept doing it and lengthening the time he had to stay down before the treat.

When not training I still make them but cut in regular treat size bites. We had another dog we lost in the beginning of the year (he was 14 and very ill) even toward the end whenever I'd get out the food processor he'd come. In the kitchen and plop himself in front of the oven. I'd tell him it would be a while, but he wouldnt budge.

Anyway just a thinking it could work for the barking, too.

And then just tossing in this recipe for dog cookies because mine love them - never used them for training as they don't break in even prices and I'm way too lazy to cut that many itty bitty cookies. Made the mistake of bringing some in for the people at work who have dogs and now every so often I'll get emails from their pups asking. "Aunt Buffy" for cookies. sending pics with a begging pooch face isn't fair!

/sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/10/23/homemade-peanut-butter-dog-treats/

I double the bacon and use whole wheat flour. I use a bone shaped cookie cutter because I think it's cute, but the dogs don't seem to notice. I use store bought peanut butter because my dogs don't have issues with the little bit of sugar, but if dogs have diabetes homemade peanut butter is so simple - just dump in the food processor and let it go for 5-7 minutes. Super easy. I use that when I make cookies for a diabetic family member.

Edited because I forgot to break links.

This thread has me laughing so hard my sides hurt. I'm just picturing you fur babies on the hunt for the perfect time to bark. I don't have my own dog but I do have a funny story to share.

I was house and Pug sitting for some friends earlier this month - Buzz and Boomer (if you're familiar with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers yes it's after the mascots). Buzz is very small dog. VERY. One morning doorbell goes and the dogs go berserk. I mean bark raving berserk. I go to the door and hear this pinched up hello on the other side. It was two women, wanting me to listen and take their newsletter, if you know what I mean. I was not in the mood to be polite and was trying to keep the dogs in the house. Sweet Buzzie literally tried to push the door closed on her. I said "can't talk, I have to make sure the dogs don't get out". The other lady started to say something, but the pinched up hello lady made a face to stop her and they left. And Buzz was promptly given an extra treat and a cuddle.

So much of this made me chuckle! Especially the spooling up of barks and not being able to stop until she's used them all up. You are not describing aggressive barking or compulsive barking for no apparent reason, are you? Just loud communication in response to stimuli.

You might want to ask Thoughtful about this. She is a great dog trainer.

I love positive reinforcement and love clicker training but I'm not a dog trainer or an expert. I've had dogs for years. including a notoriously barky breed, a Jack Russell Terrier. I also have a very talkative sighthound (not a greyhound), Little Guy, right now. None of my greyhounds ever got the memo that greyhounds don't bark. All 4 of my greys have been barkers. But the greys only really bark for a purpose: Bark - Really need to pee! Like NOW! Bark - Dinner time? Bark - Person approaching house?

That is useful communication and what you want to work towards. The greys don't bark just to hear the sound of their own voices like the JRT and Little Guy.

I think you are right that your dog is getting extra stimulation with the open windows, but my first thought is that she could be bored. She is really still a puppy with a lot of energy. It is also possible accidentally to reward, reinforce, and actually train the wrong behavior (ask me how I know!)

You are on the right track with distracting her but, indoors at least, she may be barking just to get the reward of your attention as you distract her. If she keeps on barking at people from the car (little old ladies or not) then I'd use probably use both distraction and desensitization to strangers.

Here are a few more ideas in no particular order - and you can use them in combination, of course.

Management: Remove the stimulus. Close the curtains or bring her inside if she is in the yard.

Ignore: Until she stops barking - then reward. This can be very frustrating (and deafening) for you.

Actively train:

- A "Down" on cue. For some reason dogs find it hard to bark lying down.

- "Speak" on cue. It sounds counterintuitive but it's a great first step to "quiet" because you can reward silence.

As to the mystery of why she barks when she does, just musing here for fun. It is always dangerous to try to think like a dog, and you need to hear the type of bark and see the body language to give you an idea of what is going on.

Someone in our driveway? Time to get happy and excited. No barking.

Someone ringing the doorbell? Oh boy! How fun! No barking.

Dog thinks - A visitor! Yay! No need to alert Mom. Fun times.

The neighbor on his riding mower two yards away, seen fleetingly though bushes? Holy fuck! Bark!

Dog thinks - Damn. Movement. Can't quite see what it is. Eeek. Mom?

Someone walking a dog on the other side of the street, and that dog is not barking or anything? Bark!

Dog thinks - Cool non-threatening dog. Come over and play! OR Who the F is that on my territory?

Someone in the across-the-street neighbor's driveway? Bark!

Dog thinks - visitor went to the wrong door. Over here friend! OR Who the F is that on my territory?

Hope that helps!

I love this! Your dog sounds adorable. I have no tips, though. I have a big lab who has a scary deep bark when someone comes to our door. Sales people and pizza delivery guys always seem scared of him but if they could actually see him his tail will be wagging and he will have a rather happy look on his face to see a new friend/home invader.

I love this! Your dog sounds adorable. I have no tips, though. I have a big lab who has a scary deep bark when someone comes to our door. Sales people and pizza delivery guys always seem scared of him but if they could actually see him his tail will be wagging and he will have a rather happy look on his face to see a new friend/home invader.

And who could blame him -- people come to the door bearing PIZZA, after all! :lol:

And who could blame him -- people come to the door bearing PIZZA, after all! :lol:

We had the world's laziest Bull mastiff, when I was growing up. She would barely register when anyone came in the house. BUT, if you came in smelling of any food, she'd start barking and following you around. My high school boyfriend (now husband) worked at a fried fish place one summer. He couldn't come in the house after work because the dog would lose her mind at the smell of him.

We've been using her clicker with her lately, and we're having some success. She quiets down more quickly. I suspect it's just because clicker = food, and she gets distracted from whatever she thought she was barking about, but I'll take it.

The problem with using food as a reward for stopping bad behavior is that dogs can learn to do annoying things, then stop doing them, wait, and get a treat.

Do you have friends that can do some of the things that make your dog bark so you have opportunities to practice?

The problem with using food as a reward for stopping bad behavior is that dogs can learn to do annoying things, then stop doing them, wait, and get a treat.

She hasn't started doing that. Yet. :shifty-kitty:

We've been using her clicker with her lately, and we're having some success. She quiets down more quickly. I suspect it's just because clicker = food, and she gets distracted from whatever she thought she was barking about, but I'll take it.

Clicker should = marker for not barking then treat. Reward quiet. Never click an unwanted behavior to distract the dog with the expectation of a treat. But perhaps you already know that.

She hasn't started doing that. Yet. :shifty-kitty:

Shedemei. That is actually a misunderstanding of what positive reinforcement is all about. You phase out the treats. You can also use other fun things not just food as "treats."

Signed, a real fan of positive reinforcement and clicker training. :)

Clicker should = marker for not barking then treat. Reward quiet. Never click an unwanted behavior to distract the dog with the expectation of a treat. But perhaps you already know that.

Oh yeah, I know that. I'll tell her "Shh. Quiet." and she looks at me expectantly because she recognizes it as a command now. And then after she's been quiet for 5 seconds or so I'll click and give her the treat.

Shedemei. That is actually a misunderstanding of what positive reinforcement is all about. You phase out the treats. You can also use other fun things not just food as "treats."

Probably just the implementation by dog owners I know; I know that's not what positive reinforcement is supposed to be.

I'm a fan of positive reinforcement, as well. I have to bite my tongue a lot when people talk about punishing their pets unless I have a way of gently pointing out that there's a different approach that's immediately actionable.

I do a lot of positive reinforcement with my dogs (i have 2 german shepherds) and i did a lot of counter conditioning when i got my oldest dog who was mistreated (i could not put him on a leash without him peeing).

But boy, that guy is smart, if he wants food now he will go to the window, barks at the cats in the yard and will happily come back and will look at me because he deserved it :lol:

Have you ever tied to learn him "loud" (bark!) and then a shhhh and reward? If the dog nows how to do loud the shhhh becomes the easy part ;)

Probably just the implementation by dog owners I know; I know that's not what positive reinforcement is supposed to be.

I'm a fan of positive reinforcement, as well. I have to bite my tongue a lot when people talk about punishing their pets unless I have a way of gently pointing out that there's a different approach that's immediately actionable.

With some dogs you have to be careful, my dog was punished so bad that the only thing he knew was attack (he did not warn, he just went). I started with him by just building him up from fear but eventually was left with a dog that could and would snap on his own terrain, his save haven. We went through a lot of training together to learn him that he has the chance to warn before attack. And he does now :cracking-up:

But it also meant that sometimes and had to correct him (after the trust had been build!) you really don't want to have a GS on the loose with no boundaries. This dog is from a very heavy checoslawakian line of breed.

A bit OT, but from the bible belt, a lot of US German shepherd police dogs are of Czech stock. Why would our police deepartments go to the trouble of getting a GSD bred in the Czech Republic? They're healthier and tend to have level backs. American breeders of German Shepherds have done bad things to a magnificent breed. It pains me to see them in the show ring. Some of the dogs are practically walking on their pasterns.

My doorbell doesn't work, but nobody can come to my door without my dachshund barking. Doxies are notorious for being barky. My doxie will bark at the neighbor's cats or even leaves that she notices falling from trees. I don't really mind her barking except that I wish she wouldn't bark so ferociously at my husband. Training Your Dachshund doesn't have much about reducing barking except to be proactive and nip barking cues by a relax command. Dachshunds for Dummies has more information, but I don't have my book handy at the moment.

Browneyedgirl, knowing the how a Pug's bark sounds, that description of the barking dogsat Pugs cracks me up.

We bought a second clicker, so now the husband and I can each keep one at our desks, along with a little tub of treats. This will make it easier to be consistent since we won't have to go get the supplies every time we need to shush her.

Does your dog have enough to do? I'm not super familiar with Goldens, but my mutt (mostly herding/ working dogs) would bark when bored. Mom started to give him more "tasks" and he got better.

A bit OT, but from the bible belt, a lot of US German shepherd police dogs are of Czech stock. Why would our police deepartments go to the trouble of getting a GSD bred in the Czech Republic? They're healthier and tend to have level backs. American breeders of German Shepherds have done bad things to a magnificent breed. It pains me to see them in the show ring. Some of the dogs are practically walking on their pasterns.

My doorbell doesn't work, but nobody can come to my door without my dachshund barking. Doxies are notorious for being barky. My doxie will bark at the neighbor's cats or even leaves that she notices falling from trees. I don't really mind her barking except that I wish she wouldn't bark so ferociously at my husband. Training Your Dachshund doesn't have much about reducing barking except to be proactive and nip barking cues by a relax command. Dachshunds for Dummies has more information, but I don't have my book handy at the moment.

Browneyedgirl, knowing the how a Pug's bark sounds, that description of the barking dogsat Pugs cracks me up.

There is a difference between a show line GS and a working line GS and the czech lines are very different (the working lines also). When i see a show line GS walking the ring here i am about to cry, it is ridiculous! I understand why US german shepherds come from these lines. My 3th GS was one of a czech working line that 1 trained and he is now a explosives dog with the dutch army.

And no worries, we have a contract, he will ome back home after service (thus getting to old) or he will stay with his handler because i don't want to break the bond between them

This is my army boy :wink-kitty:

18du6a.jpg

ftBB, your Army boy baby is so handsome!

I finally found the part of the Training Your Dachshund book which gives specific advice about curbing nuisance barking. Some of the advice may apply more to Dachshunds, but there is stuff there that should apply to all breeds. It may help to teach the relax command. and use it when the dog is barking inappropriately. So can play, in particular tug-of-war because it keeps the mouth busy. It also keeps them entertained. A bored dog is more likely to bark excessively. One thing that doesn't help is crating them when they are barking in defense of the house. It can increase their anxiety.

Archived