IGNORED

My Dog is Getting Barkier

happy atheist

I realize this in no way adds to the thread whatsoever, but whatever. I love german shephards. I have literally never had a bad experience with one and have known mostly super smart, loyal GSs. They are great dogs.

I always thought I'd get a GS as my first dog, but as it turns out, my first dog is the little rescue poodle I have now. He's a little guy who was abused and on the streets for who knows how long but just needed a little (well, a LOT) of love before he stopped being afraid of the world. Now, as I mentioned previously, he gladly lets us know when the neighbor halfway down the block checks his mail but is fine with someone breaking into our car next to our bedroom window. Guard dog FAIL.

• 3 months later...
On 8/23/2015 at 4:22 PM, Palimpsest said:

I love positive reinforcement and love clicker training but I'm not a dog trainer or an expert. I've had dogs for years.

My Lab was being such a good boy, he stopped eating my recliner, responded to commands such as; sit, lay down, don't bark at every doorbell on commercials. But, one day he decides he likes the clicker more than the treats. So this becomes the fun new game...  Do what she says, listen for the click, act like I'm going for the treat, then quickly jump her, grab the clicker, and RUN like hell. I made the mistake of laughing, now he thinks it's a game.  I think even the cats are rooting for him!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2015 at 0:56 AM, ALM7 said:

My Lab was being such a good boy, he stopped eating my recliner, responded to commands such as; sit, lay down, don't bark at every doorbell on commercials. But, one day he decides he likes the clicker more than the treats. So this becomes the fun new game...  Do what she says, listen for the click, act like I'm going for the treat, then quickly jump her, grab the clicker, and RUN like hell. I made the mistake of laughing, now he thinks it's a game.  I think even the cats are rooting for him!

Actually laughing out loud here :)

Avidly reading this thread and all of the suggestions. My previously cruisy dog has turned into Barky McAsshole.

It's 5am! I need to tell my humans! I'll jump onto the bed then bark at them for a while. They'll LOVE that! Oh how exciting! A brand new day! Woof!

Hey humans, you're up! Let's play! 

Okay its 5.10am. Time for a snooze.

Why the grumpy face, humans?

Don't get me wrong, we love her to pieces, truly. The pre-dawn barking needs to stop though.

@adidas,  I've heard of the Twilight Bark, but never the Dawn or pre-Dawn bark.  The twilight bark seems to be a real thing. The author of the novel 101 Dalmatians, Dodie Smith, noticed the dogs of London barking at twilight and I've noticed it to among my neighborhood dogs.

Update on my (wonderful, sweet, love him to bits but seriously dog, come on...) little canine headship who barks like whoah when the neighbor across the street and two houses down farts but doesn't make a peep when someone is stealing shit out of our cars that are outside our bedroom window.  We literally just had some fuckers crash their car into both of our vehicles and our house, their car landing in our front yard.  Canine headship SLEPT THROUGH IT.  What. the. literal. fuck.

(posting this while on hold with our insurance company, this is truly un-fucking-believable)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2016 at 4:07 AM, adidas said:

Don't get me wrong, we love her to pieces, truly. The pre-dawn barking needs to stop though.

I have been pondering this dilemma. I wonder what would happen, if you set up a small radio to go off (volume set low) around the time she starts barking. The distraction may throw her off, OR she will jump the bed wanting to dance  lol. 

Archived