IGNORED

Michael Bates Brandon Keilen wedding

19 cats and counting

I think $100 is a more or less reasonable price for a bridesmaid dress. That was the limit my sister set for her bridesmaids to pay, and once she picked dresses that were about $150, she covered the rest of the cost herself. Dresses can certainly run $200-300 or more.

Considering they had so many bridesmaids, though, and this was a fundie wedding obviously done on the cheap, it's a little surprising. Maybe they got a bulk discount. Or a product placement discount.

It does kinda make me laugh that the dress is called "A Night in Paris" :lol:

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked at the site where the dresses came from. The pink dress was "A Night in Paris" and looks much better in the knee length. Has the potential to be a cute vintage dress. Would have been much more appropriate for a fall wedding (this could have worked for Jessa).

The taupe monstrosity was called the "Dream dress" and it was $110 (more expensive than the pink ones). It's only available in long and didn't flatter anyone in the photos. The first I saw of it was in black, while better, is still ugly.

Where are there pics of a full view of the wedding dress?

Site link please?

I once had to fork out $600 for a bridesmaids dress.

I'm sure that the dresses were comped. It's free publicity for the site (which is a small business that most people haven't heard of before).

Remember Michael(a) was born a Bates. She learned the art of grifting from Daddy.

Those are just about the ugliest flower girl dresses I've ever seen. Why not put them in the same pink as the bridesmaids? Or make the bridesmaids wear brown, which looks better on older girls? She also could have done white dresses with a brown or pink sash. Anything but dishwater-colored dresses on little girls. :ew:

They really are terrible. And I was actually excited about the wedding colors of brown and pink. But I was thinking cherry blossoms against chocolate brown...

Meanwhile, Carlin's dress looks great, fits her perfectly, and she is rocking it!

Oh man, while it could have been better, judging from some of the pics on the site, it could have been much, much worse.

Make sure you get to the bottom:

daintyjewells.com/bridesmaids-dresses-1/

PS Nellie, this is the site where the dresses were purchased.

The reason I'm surprised that the dresses were $100 is because this was a fundie wedding. They're all about saving money, and dresses that ugly shouldn't be that expensive. lol

I have been to 9 weddings in the last 4 years- nieces, nephews, a daughter, a BIL... all of them very nice and upscale weddings, and there has been a drunk person, fall down. In most instances, a woman.

I haven't really seen it here, but I have encountered quite a large number of people in other corners of the internet and in real life who can't seem to have a good time without alcohol. I have no problem with the occasional night of drunken revelry, but I have known people who never wanted to do anything else (it's especially annoying when the people in question are also cheap as hell and therefore insist on getting trashed on the cheapest, nastiest booze they can buy). I've heard people on other forums say that they flat out wouldn't go to a dry wedding and I just don't get it. There are other ways to have a good time.

Oh man, while it could have been better, judging from some of the pics on the site, it could have been much, much worse.

Make sure you get to the bottom:

daintyjewells.com/bridesmaids-dresses-1/

PS Nellie, this is the site where the dresses were purchased.

The headbands. The HEADBANDS :shock:

I haven't really seen it here, but I have encountered quite a large number of people in other corners of the internet and in real life who can't seem to have a good time without alcohol. I have no problem with the occasional night of drunken revelry, but I have known people who never wanted to do anything else (it's especially annoying when the people in question are also cheap as hell and therefore insist on getting trashed on the cheapest, nastiest booze they can buy). I've heard people on other forums say that they flat out wouldn't go to a dry wedding and I just don't get it. There are other ways to have a good time.

I'm a tea totaler. My other tea totaler friends and I agree that we manage to do some pretty stupid and clumsy things WITHOUT the influence of alcohol so we are better off with our diet coke and iced tea. Also, my mouth tends to get me in trouble when I'm completely sober so...again...I can't imagine myself even a little tipsy.

Just throwing this question out there: If you were invited to an event that was CLEARLY a non alcoholic event, would any of you stand around outside and pour rum into the soft drinks that were provided? We did have that at our reception and I was pretty insulted. Basically I felt like they were telling us that this party was so lame they could only get through it with a little alcohol, while inside the young people were having a blast! Plus, if the venue's coordinator had seen it, it would have completely tainted the relationship I'd built with her for a year of planning. We'd signed a contract agreeing there would be no alcohol on the premises and these people kind of threw us under the bus with their actions, in my opinion. Thoughts?

I heard one person IRL who outwardly complained that if she were invited to a dry wedding she would find it insulting. OK, so maybe a dry wedding doesn't sound like a lot of fun and she wouldn't have it herself but seriously, it's not your wedding! It's other people who hosting it and for whatever reasons (many of which we have seen above thread) they are not having the alcohol. Deal with that or don't go. The people hosting it are inviting you to attend the event. If that doesn't mean something to you and it's only the booze that matters, then maybe you should not attend. I mentioned my cousin's fundie wedding above. It was dry and it wasn't fun but it was because of her fundie church members who were borderline hostile to the heathens in their midst, meaning my family. In addition, turning it into some version of the Bible Bee at the reception is not going to be most people's idea of fun (having booze might have made things easier, though). But we went because it was my cousin's big day, and as obnoxious as we knew it would be, it was what she wanted. It's only a few hours and then it's done.

I'm a tea totaler. My other tea totaler friends and I agree that we manage to do some pretty stupid and clumsy things WITHOUT the influence of alcohol so we are better off with our diet coke and iced tea. Also, my mouth tends to get me in trouble when I'm completely sober so...again...I can't imagine myself even a little tipsy.

Just throwing this question out there: If you were invited to an event that was CLEARLY a non alcoholic event, would any of you stand around outside and pour rum into the soft drinks that were provided? We did have that at our reception and I was pretty insulted. Basically I felt like they were telling us that this party was so lame they could only get through it with a little alcohol, while inside the young people were having a blast! Plus, if the venue's coordinator had seen it, it would have completely tainted the relationship I'd built with her for a year of planning. We'd signed a contract agreeing there would be no alcohol on the premises and these people kind of threw us under the bus with their actions, in my opinion. Thoughts?

I think that's really rude, no matter how much one likes to drink. Especially because of the vendor issues. At some places you could have been charged a hefty fee because of that. It's like smoking in someone's house when they've asked you not to.

But while I socially drink on occasion, I've never been one of those "without alcohol, it's not an event" type people. I think if a person can't get through a dinner/wedding without a drink, they may need to seek some help, to be honest. (And I say this as a person of Irish-Catholic descent. In my family two open bars, rather than one, is the norm at weddings. Cause you know, with only one bar the line gets too long :lol: )

I think that's really rude, no matter how much one likes to drink. Especially because of the vendor issues. At some places you could have been charged a hefty fee because of that. It's like smoking in someone's house when they've asked you not to.

But while I socially drink on occasion, I've never been one of those "without alcohol, it's not an event" type people. I think if a person can't get through a dinner/wedding without a drink, they may need to seek some help, to be honest. (And I say this as a person of Irish-Catholic descent. In my family two open bars, rather than one, is the norm at weddings. Cause you know, with only one bar the line gets too long :lol: )

The last dance was at 9:30 - plenty of time for people to gather at a bar and have a few drinks if they were so inclined. Also, I've never gone to one of their parties and walked out because they WERE serving alcohol. One of the men was drunk enough that he started getting crude about my daughter and I was just really REALLY glad that her brother the Marine was not close enough to hear it. Seriously, then we would have been banned from the venue for a bloody brawl. Okay...I kind of wish it had happened. :lol:

I am extremely introverted. Being at a wedding reception, especially if it's mostly people I don't know, is not what I would consider a pleasant experience most of the time. Having a couple of drinks makes it much easier for me to talk to strangers and maybe dance a little, which I also feel self-conscious about doing. It's easy to say, well you didn't HAVE to come, but sometimes you feel obliged to go for a number of reasons, or you get dragged by a SO, or you do genuinely want to celebrate your friend's day, whether you expect to enjoy yourself or not. That doesn't mean drink so much you cause a scene, or obviously carry alcohol into a venue that doesn't allow it. But people can just have a few drinks and have a brighter and happier experience because of it.

If you're involved in planning a wedding, chances are you know the bride and/or groom very well, and probably know most of the guests well too. So of course the reception is fun for you! You get to see a loved one get married, and you have tons of people to catch up with. That doesn't mean that everyone has the same experience. It's like watching an episode of Four Weddings...the bride and groom are like, this was the best day ever, there's no WAY we didn't win this whole thing! And then you swing over to the guest brides and they're like, I give this wedding a 5...the venue was too hot/cold/crowded, the food was cold/dry/bland, we had to sit at the kids' table, the other guests were rude/aggressive/weird.

Of course, some people are just hyper-critical, but 2 people can have 2 completely different yet valid experiences at the same event. I don't think the hosts (or guests of honor) are always the best people to evaluate it. Even if someone does think your event was boring as shit, they're not likely to tell you that.

What your guests did is beyond rudeness. And no, if I was invited to non alcoholic event I wouldn't be trying anything like that. I might not know if there would be vendor issues (if a church, yes or other venue, not necessarily), but really the main thing is that it is rude. You are a guest at the event. So deal with it or don't go if you know that there won't be booze and you can't live without it.

We had a similar issue at my wedding. We had a bar but after it closed about an hour before the end, the best man (who was a ragin alcoholic) and some of our groomsmen moved out to the restaurant bar and stayed there the rest of the evening, getting plastered. I think they were still there after we all left. Mr. No was insulted enough over their behaviour that he cut off contact with them, the last time he saw or spoke to them was at our wedding.

No, of course not! But, then, I was pretty astonished that at Chelsea Clinton's [vegan] reception, some of the guests went to a nearby deli and brought back ham sandwiches to eat. Granted, this was a political event as much as a wedding, so a certain amount of boorish behavior was to be expected, what with there being members of congress, lobbyists, and such in attendance. :D

I don't usually post back to back like this, but found another pic of the dresses to share. It appears that only Kelly and Erin wore the brown bridesmaid dresses.

This photo was found on the Bates tumblr.

That second picture is making me think of Neapolitan ice cream (and I wish I had some right now).

I am extremely introverted. Being at a wedding reception, especially if it's mostly people I don't know, is not what I would consider a pleasant experience most of the time. Having a couple of drinks makes it much easier for me to talk to strangers and maybe dance a little, which I also feel self-conscious about doing. It's easy to say, well you didn't HAVE to come, but sometimes you feel obliged to go for a number of reasons, or you get dragged by a SO, or you do genuinely want to celebrate your friend's day, whether you expect to enjoy yourself or not. That doesn't mean drink so much you cause a scene, or obviously carry alcohol into a venue that doesn't allow it. But people can just have a few drinks and have a brighter and happier experience because of it.

If you're involved in planning a wedding, chances are you know the bride and/or groom very well, and probably know most of the guests well too. So of course the reception is fun for you! You get to see a loved one get married, and you have tons of people to catch up with. That doesn't mean that everyone has the same experience. It's like watching an episode of Four Weddings...the bride and groom are like, this was the best day ever, there's no WAY we didn't win this whole thing! And then you swing over to the guest brides and they're like, I give this wedding a 5...the venue was too hot/cold/crowded, the food was cold/dry/bland, we had to sit at the kids' table, the other guests were rude/aggressive/weird.

Of course, some people are just hyper-critical, but 2 people can have 2 completely different yet valid experiences at the same event. I don't think the hosts (or guests of honor) are always the best people to evaluate it. Even if someone does think your event was boring as shit, they're not likely to tell you that.

I totally get everything you've written - such great thoughts. I am introverted also (I actually felt guilty for feeling so anxious about my own daughter's wedding) as are many people in my family. Also, there are a lot of noise sensitive people in my family; I get migraines, my brother has seizures...some just are extremely uncomfortable with lots of noise like a DJ (with lights, etc). I actually rented an extra room on the church campus and quietly spread the word that there was a "quiet room" available for those who needed to get away from the noise or the crowd. The people who knew they might need to escape were truly appreciative. I know not everybody can provide an extra room, but I did try to accommodate those who might be uncomfortable throughout the evening. My own son left fairly early and I completely got it...he's extremely introverted and I wasn't going to push him to stay in that loud crowded space.

I also understand how alcohol makes socializing easier for some. For me, it's Xanax... :) Feeling obligated to attend a large event only makes it more uncomfortable for introverts.

One thing that bothers me is when people push others to dance or be in the center of things when they are just as happy to sit on the sidelines and observe. People don't understand that introverts are often quite happy just absorbing the event - they don't have to be the center of it. People are always telling introverts to loosen up but we rarely get to tell extroverts to shut up!

I agree! I also have a lot of trouble in social situations (particularly when dancing is involved) but I don't ever get trashed and I would NEVER defy my friend's/the venues wishes for a drink. And I come from a family of BIG drinkers, but people are always responsible and never DEMAND drinks.

Tl;dr enjoying drinking is never an excuse to be disrespectful. If you can't co tool that you are slipping into problem territory.

But so what if you are bored ? Or don't like the food ? Or whatever is causing you to not have fun. You're there to share in the celebration of someone else, which will involve what they like. And that includes the choice to include alcohol---or not.

I'm very introverted. I hate making small talk with strangers. When I was younger I would get really, really self-conscience and filled with anxiety in social situations.

That really doesn't mean that someone should provide alcohol at their wedding if they aren't drinkers or picked a venue that doesn't allow it, or even just don't want to budget for alcohol. Sure, a couple of drinks eases social interactions for lots of people - but it's not a requirement to be provided in daily life.

It would be really over the top to assume alcohol should be provided as a lubricant for everyone who dislikes crowds and small talk- you don't expect them to put out candy dishes of valium or antivan.

Speaking of drinking etiquette, I'd like to share a funny story with you guys.

My dad retired recently. So on Father's Day this year we had a whole bunch of people at the house. Once everyone was there my dad busted out this moonshine he made (Well he bought the moonshine and flavored it himself, he didn't make bathroom gin Loolll) and gave a teensy bit for everyone to try. I didn't have a glass but I tried some of my sisters. It was SUPER strong but my dad made it taste like pears so I liked it.

My dad had given some to my grandma's cousin not knowing she didn't want any. She was going to give it to my grandma but I said I would take it and she looked at me in shock. My grandma says:

"Don't look surprised! We are a family of lushes. We raise them that way on purpose so they don't wake up naked

in some strangers bed!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm pretty sure the wedding guests were just so giddy about being invited to a fundie royalty wedding that they would have eaten horse shit and drank horse piss.

With the cooking skills I've witnessed from the culture, I would say that might be a big step up compared to what a lot of the families eat...

Good quality pictures of the wedding:

uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/photos/michaella-bates-and-brandon-keilen-wedding/

Ok about the dress (now that I've seen a better pic of it). If it was a strapless dress, they did a good job building it up. It looks like there are embellishments over the bust area. Much better than what they did for Erin's dress.

The Ariel type bra in the dress is a little strange and I don't think it works with the dress (strapless or not). It just does not look like it belongs there. Maybe it would work with that over the top designer on Say Yes to the Dress who designs raunchier dresses as a cutout dress.

Archived