IGNORED

Michael Bates Brandon Keilen wedding

19 cats and counting

To the bold - are we related? That sounds just like my MIL and SIL! Their co-dependency relationship drives me crazy only because both SIL and MIL complain to us about the other one but when we gave advice our heads got bitten off. We stopped giving advice years ago, now we roll our eyes (behind their back of course; we are super mature ;) ). We can only take so much of their wah wah complaining of each other with no changes.

We heard the complaints from both of them but SIL eventually stopped because she usually complained to Mr. and he has no sympathy whatsoever. MIL keeps on because she has no one else to talk except close family, she's in her 80's and at this point nothing will change, it's just the way it is.

The co-dependent relationship drove me nuts for years and it was a major effort to bite my tongue but I managed to do it because I recognized early on the hazards of agreeing, giving any advice, making any criticism. So now I just listen. I might have slipped once or twice years ago in saying something but luckily my loony MIL was too busy chattering away to notice.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you both related to Big Edie and Little Edie?

STAUNCH!

Not related but there are some weird similarities between SIL/MIL and Big/Little Edie, to tell the truth. Complete with hoarded house, I can totally see the two of them living together if they were ever both widowed and bickering to the end.

I strongly suspect this is the Mori Lee that Michaela wore, but I admit to being not the best at this sort of detective work.

post-8463-14452000657634_thumb.jpg

[attachment=0]mbates dress.jpg[/attachment]

I'm attaching an up close pic of Michaella's dress bodice. I do agree it emphasizes the girls. I think her hair is always over it because of the seam between her shoulders and bodice, I sew, as does Michealla, and that seam would annoy me too.

Also being one of the 100 or so people it seems have UP on their cable, I feel for y'all who don't makes it harder to snark lol...I also know almost everyone here DVRs it/watches it online because the comments on episodes flood in about 2-3 days after it airs.... Anyway, I remember Kelly saying on the BUB ( episode where Michael was shopping for dresses online) that she liked the pink lace dresses but not for someone like her since they would show every lump and bump (or something like that). She liked the brown flower girl dresses since it reminded her of MOB silver layered dress (YES the silver fish monstrous thing that Michelle Duggar also wore). So I'm guessing she wanted the layers since as she said during the conversation "they hide everything and are so flattering" and since Erin was postpartum (and keep in mind she had Carson a month early) she probably talked her into getting one to hide her post baby belly. (which is no where in site, IMHO)

That's a lot prettier than I originally thought. I still would have chosen one of the Allure modest dresses though (or an already modest dress from another line)- there's one or two I've completely fallen for. I don't really understand why they keep buying strapless dresses and tacking things on top. It doesn't look as good as it ought to.

They really are terrible. And I was actually excited about the wedding colors of brown and pink. But I was thinking cherry blossoms against chocolate brown...

Meanwhile, Carlin's dress looks great, fits her perfectly, and she is rocking it!

That's what my wedding theme and colours were. Cherry blossoms and pink, brown, and apple green. My dress was a latte colour.

Hmmmm, thx for your answer. Could you skip having that wedding party?

Also, in my mind asking people to pay for their own dress is strange (and at $900?! :pink-shock: ), here the bride pays for the bridesmaids dress if she wants one.

You can definitely skip having a wedding party if you want, most small weddings don't have one. It's just typically expected in a big white wedding, but not required. It's a way to mark who is close to you in your life. Also, the bridesmaids are the ones who throw and attend your bachelorette party and often throw your bridal shower as well. They help the bride get ready the night before and morning of the wedding, and generally are supposed to be her emotional support.

I would say $900 is on the ridiculously high end of the spectrum for a bridesmaid dress. I've been the bridesmaid in four fairly nice weddings, and my bridesmaid dresses all ranged from $100 to $200 dollars. I have one friend who had to pay $280 for a dress, and we all thought that was really high. For two of the weddings I was in, I also had to buy shoes. Some brides will also ask their bridesmaids to get their hair/make up done by a professional, but this hasn't happened to me yet. I did choose to get my hair done though, and also get a spray tan each time. It definitely adds up. (Dress +shoes+spray tan+ wedding gift+bridal shower gift+bachelorette party expenses often comes to about $500 for me.)

I'm guessing it is the family for which she was a full time nanny, since she is moving to Chicago, I would assume she has resigned. I'm guessing Ryan is the older of the two boys she was watching.

I totally forgot she was a nanny. Thanks.

The part that is interesting - is if both type of weddings go on , why aren't people invited to both types ? I mean I know your immediate family, closest friends are likely all going to have very similar expectations and types of weddings. But what about co-workers, extended family in-laws, school friends ? Wouldn't you have some cross over in social circles ?

I'm sure there isn't an easy answer to this, I'm just finding it fascinating. Like I said, I haven't been to the church-cake-punch type (that I remember) . But there has been a pretty big range of wedding types that I've been to with varying traditions- just through the normal course of life - from casual at a park with everyone bringing their own picnic and most people in jeans, to very, very formal church wedding with the reception at a pricey hotel with sit down dinner and all the dancing, booze, etc. . And I'm not a particularly social person.

I'm just surprised at the lack of cross-over between groups.

I'm rather surprised too. I've been to outdoor weddings, church weddings, chapel weddings, indoor weddings that took place at a secular site, open bar, cash bar and no bar dinner receptions, dessert receptions, cake/punch/nuts receptions, luncheon buffet receptions, receptions outdoors, in VFW halls, in church fellowship halls, in school gymnasiums, restaurants, hotels...

I don't really much care about how you want to get married or how you want to celebrate--you're the one getting married. You're getting married at City Hall? Cool. Under a chuppa? Awesome. Going to jump the broom? Congratulations! Wearing a sari? You'll look amazing! Getting sealed at the Temple? I can't come to the ceremony, but I'll see you at the reception!

My main thing is that if you invited me, I came to celebrate with you, and in the future, I'll be doing my best to encourage you in your marriage. If you didn't invite me, you'll get a hearty congratulations the next time I see you. Everything else is just details to me.

Except the cake. Gotta have cake. ;)

If a reception (but not wedding) is by personal invite only, do you folks think it's rude to not have a receiving line? Rant follows:

Sunday my parents and I attended my roommate's wedding. We're both in uni, but she's quite a few years older than me and she and her husband are definitely starting out without much money. We saw each other a few times during the summer, although I have been at home, due to some physical and emotional health problems. She had a short engagement and didn't get invitations out to everyone--just announced in the church bulletin that the reception was by invite only, and, no, I didn't get an invitation. I'm pretty sure our former roommate, who just graduated in the spring, was at the reception, as were other non-family members. Since there was no receiving line and I'm not a pushy person, I didn't even get to talk to her. (Of course, I congratulated her after she got engaged, and have given cards with personal messages for the shower and wedding.) She's really sweet, and I can understand really needing to budget. However, she could have invited me without my parents, since we've lived like family for a year. Some other people were getting last minute invitations, so even if it's an oversight, it's still a little hurtful. Anyway, I guess all weddings leave someone wishing they had been invited, invited to the reception, asked to be in the wedding party, or a hundred other things.

If a reception (but not wedding) is by personal invite only, do you folks think it's rude to not have a receiving line? Rant follows:
Sunday my parents and I attended my roommate's wedding. We're both in uni, but she's quite a few years older than me and she and her husband are definitely starting out without much money. We saw each other a few times during the summer, although I have been at home, due to some physical and emotional health problems. She had a short engagement and didn't get invitations out to everyone--just announced in the church bulletin that the reception was by invite only, and, no, I didn't get an invitation. I'm pretty sure our former roommate, who just graduated in the spring, was at the reception, as were other non-family members. Since there was no receiving line and I'm not a pushy person, I didn't even get to talk to her. (Of course, I congratulated her after she got engaged, and have given cards with personal messages for the shower and wedding.) She's really sweet, and I can understand really needing to budget. However, she could have invited me without my parents, since we've lived like family for a year. Some other people were getting last minute invitations, so even if it's an oversight, it's still a little hurtful. Anyway, I guess all weddings leave someone wishing they had been invited, invited to the reception, asked to be in the wedding party, or a hundred other things.

Depends on whether or not you got a personal invite to the wedding. If she invited some people to the ceremony but NOT to the reception, then yes, she should have found a way to speak to everyone she invited and thank them for attending. And also that is rather rude in and of itself.

However, if people choose to show up to a wedding without a personal invitation and bring gifts, that is very kind of them, but that is also on them. Weddings are crazy hectic for the bridal party, especially in between the ceremony and the reception. The bride was probably being pulled in 20 directions or rushing to get pictures in so that she could go have fun with her guests. Even if she wasn't, she has a right to spend as much time with the people she invited as possible.

My grandmother might have issues with this, but for me, I don't truly consider someone a "guest" of something unless they were actually invited. So unless she sent you an invitation to the wedding itself, I think it was very nice of you to show up and give her a gift, but I think that was your choice.

I see they are paying homage to Pugsley Addams in their striped dresses.

I actually don't mind these dresses. There seems to be something that is slightly off, like they need a splash of something, but not the worst out there.

I actually don't mind these dresses. There seems to be something that is slightly off, like they need a splash of something, but not the worst out there.

I think they'd look better mid-calf or higher. Too much stripe going on, very overwhelming. I also think one part of the dress or other should be a solid color.

There are more than a few dresses on that mori lee site that would have fit their modesty standards without weird modifications and been so much prettier.

IMO That's really awful of her, given the relationship you two have. I think is very sweet of you showing up. Kudos to you :clap:

I think they would have looked better if the dresses were just below knee-length and the sleeves were 3/4 length. Something like this: instagram.com/p/WCXq_GpaBV/

I think they would have looked better if the dresses were just below knee-length and the sleeves were 3/4 length. Something like this: instagram.com/p/WCXq_GpaBV/

I totally agree. Poor Erin got stuck in the worst dress. I even think the long light pink ones are fine, though I think they would have looked much better cut at or slightly below the knee. I really don't understand what's fundies' aversion to two part pieces like this? Are they scared that men have x-ray vision and can see that their ARMS ARE BARE! Under a CARDIGAN!

Can someone please explain to me what the function is of all those bridesmaids, flower girls, men at a wedding?

Here you have maybe 1, 2 or 3 little bridesmaids just because its looks pretty but they don't really have a function. Or you have non just like i did (no little girls in my family at that time), we had 4 witnesses to sign the papers and that's all.

And how do you decide who is what?

My wedding party was like this:

Maid of Honor: My oldest niece

Bridesmaid: My youngest niece

Best Man: Husband's nephew

Groomsman: My nephew

We just decided on a very small wedding party, and agreed on nieces and nephew. We just did what we wanted, screw tradition.

I think they'd look better mid-calf or higher. Too much stripe going on, very overwhelming. I also think one part of the dress or other should be a solid color.

It's funny that these dresses are so polarizing because they are actually pretty on trend, like it or not. They are basically carbon copies of a recent Valentino runway dress that is currently retailing for about $5,000.00

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Valentino-L ... u159210794

It's funny that these dresses are so polarizing because they are actually pretty on trend, like it or not. They are basically carbon copies of a recent Valentino runway dress that is currently retailing for about $5,000.00

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Valentino-L ... u159210794

Except the Valentino looks FAR nicer...then again it could be the big, pinkish flowery thing they have on the front that makes the dresses look bad

Nah, the Valentino is better, because it's bold and not as long. Also, I doubt most people are buying it for bridesmaid dresses. I actually think the flower improves it though--makes it slightly less prison uniform or pajama-like.

Except the Valentino looks FAR nicer...then again it could be the big, pinkish flowery thing they have on the front that makes the dresses look bad

I don't think the dress itself is bad, actually (without the flower belt). The modest one or the Valentino.

I think the issue is that it is overwhelming in large numbers. The reason most bridesmaids dresses are solid or sparsely colorblocked is that a pattern that is cute in a single dress becomes insane and hard to look at when repeated 7 or 8 times. That's the issue here. With a large bridal party, the stripes become almost assaulting to the eye. The effect would be drastically lessened if there were only one or two maids.

Edit: I think the Valentino, which I very much like in single, would look equally as terrible on 8 girls squeezed together in one picture.

It really is the masses. If it was just one or two maids, it'd even look nice.

I like the bridesmaid version better than the Valentino. Just because something is brand name doesn't make it any more fashionable or pretty.

Pregnant lady on the left is rocking the prison gown more than the others because of her asymmetrical hair do, different figure (quite logically) and because she's standing a little farther away from the others and the contrasts between the bushes and her are more pleasing to the eye than between the other prison gown wearers.

Hmmmm, thx for your answer. Could you skip having that wedding party?

Also, in my mind asking people to pay for their own dress is strange (and at $900?! :pink-shock: ), here the bride pays for the bridesmaids dress if she wants one.

Yes, it is not a requirement.

For my wedding I had just two attendants, my sister and my best friend. No children.

Archived