IGNORED

Michael Bates Brandon Keilen wedding

19 cats and counting

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

Close up of the tiers.

So bad.

Yikes - they really are very Mother of the Bride. They would be OK without the tiers, but I think the beige washes them out. A warmer, darker brown would look much nicer. The Bates women are all pretty warm-toned in terms of skintone.

Edited to add that Whitney looks lovely and her dress would make a perfectly modest bridesmaid dress - and far less dowdy.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you did a good job with the Midwest. I know the great lake states (WI, IL, IN, OH and MI) pretty well and the differences between say Chicago and Detroit weddings to smaller large cities such as Fort Wayne and Grand Rapids typically have to do with the cultural back ground. Grand Rapids area (Including Holland, Grand Haven and Muskegon) has a LARGE Dutch influence. Versus the middle of Michigan (Lansing -where Brandon is from- and North) It has a huge German/Polish/Irish influence. The UP and parts of WI you have more of the Sweden, Finland and Norway influences. In the entire Great Lake region there are also Native American reservations. Also there is a mix of migrant workers (typically from Mexico or Texas) that decide to put down roots and stay. Then there are pockets in all 5 of these states of Mennonite and Amish. Also during and after the civil war many southern's (white and black) moved north for freedom and manufacturing jobs and cheap, plentiful & productive farm land.

Sorry Vivi_music, I don't think you will get a great answer because of the vast size of the US and even when we break it down to regions, they are large, too. The main thing I know about the South (TN to the panhandle of FL) is that a lot of it was destroyed in the civil war, a lot had to be rebuilt, and of course a lot of the slaves left and the farms didn't have the manpower to run. I know Louisiana was built by a lot of French and Africans but beyond that, I don't know the heritage of the other states.

Hahaha! Thanks for the crash course. I actually met a super nice girl from Minnesota whilst I was traveling in Europe a few years ago. She was super nice and we did a bit of our journey in Paris together. We are still ''penpals'' on Facebook and write to each other a lot. She told me MN is like the most ''Canadian'' of all the states so she kind of laughed because she ended up traveling with me (with the Canadian flag on my bagpack, people believed she was Canadian too). That being said I used these two regions as example only. I'm curious so I like to know about these different traditions and cultures. And to be honest, Canada is such a BIG country too, I'm sure their are many different wedding customs I don't even know about in my own country. I know a lot about with French Canadian traditions, but would probably find a wedding in Alberta or Saskatchewan to have traditions I don't know about. :P

Back on the subject: I do hope that Brandon and Michael had a nice time finally alone together. And I'm not even talking about going from zero to everything in one night, but really just enjoying being in each others company and finally having their own intimacy. I can't imagine not being completely alone with your partner until your wedding night. Gosh. :shock:

I don't like the tiered one either. It looks like a mother of the bride dress. Thinking of Kelly, I don't remember seeing a picture of her in a dress since she was the matron of honor. Kelly has the same tiered dress as Erin. Did the married attendants get the tiered dress?

[attachment=0]dresses.png[/attachment]

I just noticed that the men and women are mixed, not all the women behind the bride and men behind the groom. Also just noticed there is another preacher (?) besides Gill. Anyone know the bearded man? Another picture shows Gill standing between them when they kissed. Last thing, is this Marjorie Jackson as in Josiah's ex-girlfriend? (goes to her IG account) Yup, same one. I'm glad she moved to get a better picture :)

I believe that account is a fan one. As far as I know, she's not on instagram. I fell for that, too, when I was looking at pictures that were being tagged with the wedding tag. But, it's not her account. It's run by a fan.

Also, no it's not a married girl thing. Alyssa and Whitney wore different dresses from each other, but both were pink.

I'm not sure how the dresses were chosen.

Alyssa was a bridesmaid, Whitney attended as a guest.

I've noticed the pink dresses (Jana, Alyssa, Tori) weren't tiered like the beige ones were. I thought they were the same dress.

ETA: It was doing it half assed and I didn't want a half assed wedding. From where I am from, alcohol is a big part of weddings.

I can't imagine a dry wedding! I got married AT a vineyard. Full open bar. Twas amazing. :obscene-drinkingdrunk::obscene-drinkingdrunk::obscene-drinkingdrunk::obscene-drinkingchug::obscene-drinkingchug::obscene-drinkingchug::obscene-drinkingcheers::obscene-drinkingcheers::obscene-drinkingcheers::obscene-drinkingbuddies:

I actually like this dress a hundred times more than any other fundie bridesmaid gown. I'm obsessed with lace and was so disappointed I couldn't find a lacy one for my maids. That said, the tiers are a little much. And the pink looks much better.

I like this dress more than the bridesmaids dresses at either Jill or Jessa's weddings. However, I think the overall look is a little matronly, and it also seems more suited to a cold weather wedding than one held in the hot summertime.

Here's the thing about weddings - it's all about what the COUPLE wants. We had an evening wedding (after normal supper time) and everyone was informed that it we were having a dessert wedding in the church gym after the ceremony. We had no idea who would or would not show up because no everyone got an actual paper inviatation. We made announcements in our churches' bulletins, newsletters, and services because that's how it's done in our social circle. About 400+ people ended up being there.

Just like there shouldn't be slut shaming or fat shaming there shouldn't be wedding shaming.

Nah, that's fine. It's the competition aspect of it that I find obnoxious--the back-patting over doing stuff that people all over the world do because they have no choice. Food stamp challenges, cold home challenges, the "home repair hacks" that would be called trashy or ghetto if poor or POC did them, cramming a whole family into a tiny space for no reason other than to make some kind of deep political point...and then blogging about it all. :evil-eye:

I do understand the annoyance at the competitive minimalism, but there are some people who, regardless of their economic class when they grew up, now recognize the extreme overmaterialism of the rich-country culture and who want to try to extract themselves from it. I don't belittle any variation of authentic attempts to do that, although there is a whole greenwashing/faux minimalism thing out there that I wouldn't consider authentic at all and have no problem being annoyed with. I've also lived in a very small house -- not officially a tinyhouse, but ~400 square feet for two people -- and really enjoyed it and think that's the perfect size for me either alone or with one other person.

tl;dr -- for some of us minimalism and reduced footprint living is truly an ecological/ethical issue and has nothing to do with class standards or minimizing anyone else's experience.

J-rod hasn't put up a picture with any of the Bates, which makes me think that they weren't circulating around talking with folks. Or the whole family just avoided Jill like the plague. But if they dislike her that much why invite her?

I know someone mentioned a gift grab but that certainly cannot apply to the Rodriguii. I'd be willing to bet they didn't give a gift or they gifted one of those knit things Jill was selling a while ago. Can't remember what it was, a toilet seat cover? Me thinks they sailed into town for the food and photo ops.

There is a fairly bad quality short video of them leaving the hall under the hashtag. Michael's dress looks really stiff, like it's had lots of layers added. She must have been roasting!

There are also three congratulation videos on the duggar family website. DimBulb rabbiting on and ending with "our advice to you - be fruitful and multiply! *shiteating grin*" :ew: The Seaweeds - eh. And then a super-awkward, super-short one from the Dillards

You know what I find weird about Michael(la)'s dress? That ruching draws the eye straight to her breasts! :o

The pictures look nice, mostly. I think the problem with the bridesmaids' gowns is the the layers are too short and too many. Take off about 3 rows and make the remaining ones slightly longer.

I'm just relieved Erin is no longer inflating her hair like balloon. All of the Bates girls are pretty, but Alyssa needs to watch it with the crazy eyes.

'Sup, Lawson. How you doin? Have you quit yodeling yet? Please say yes.

I have to say, even though it's mildly off-topic, I find all of our wedding experiences so interesting. I live in Michigan, and have only EVER been to sit-down, plated dinner, open or semi-open bar, all-night dancing style weddings. I've been to probably 15 weddings total and they've all been that way - even my homeschooled, super-Catholic, no-birth-control-pro-life-anti-gay-marriage college roommate had booze and dancing at her wedding. I'll admit to thinking that the ceremony plus punch and cake in a gym style wedding did at first seem pretty tacky to me because I had only ever seen it on TV with the Bateses and the Duggars and I guess I just assumed that a wedding was at least a sit-down dinner affair, regardless of whether or not there'd be alcohol or dancing involved. I had no idea that it was so common elsewhere in the States!

For the record, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other what kind of wedding people choose to have - the idea of spending thousands and thousands of dollars on one day makes me want to break out in hives and start hyperventilating. My SO and I want about 50 people at our wedding, max, and would just as well elope if we thought we could get away with it.

As far as Michaella goes - I don't think the dress is terrible, but I did have to do a double-take at her hair choice. She looked SO hot! I do wish she would have put it up. I'm also interested to see how things unfold for her and Brandon in Chicago. I think it'll be a big change for her.

This thread has been fascinating to me because my daughter just got married a couple weeks ago. I enjoy all the opinions and experiences people are sharing.

In our case, the bride and groom did NOT do a receiving line but greeted people at the tables during the reception. We had a seated dinner but it was a very casual meal (the bride and groom opted for barbecue). I really encouraged a seated dinner because I've seen buffets bring out the worst in people; plus, I worried about our elderly relatives making it through a buffet line with 200 other guests. My daughter was a very easy bride and, although it was THEIR day, we really tried to make it a guest centered event as well.

Regardless of how much we enjoyed the day, I am sure there are people who have snarked on the whole thing. We were able to give our daughter most of what she wanted (she and I did A LOT of the décor ourselves) and she and her groom were elated at the day. That's what matters. I hope Michael and Brandon are just as thrilled with the way their day turned out. I hope it was what THEY wanted and not what their television family or the producers wanted.

Also, I liked the colors a lot but I love brown and pink. Can't wait to see more photos of the dress.

Edited to add: Some of our most treasured friends came from the UK to attend our daughter's wedding. Some of the greatest moments were when they asked, throughout the weekend, about certain Midwest wedding traditions and then told us what a typical wedding in their country would be like. Hopefully, we will be able to return the gesture one day and fly to their home when their children get married.

Couple questions/observations:

We are on page 17 and no one has even mentioned whether or not "Mr. Gothard" was there. I am betting he was but all the good l'il ATI-ers were informed not to snap him

I think the tiered dresses would have been okay as midi-dresses. The tiers should have not gone to the ground. I just wonder if they were meant to be shorter but since the girls are so small, they didn't realize that and thought they were floor length?

Alyssa looks so much older than 19- I don't mean she looks old, but she looks more like mid-late 20s. I was like that as well, and looked about 25 from the time I was 16 until I was around 35. Oddly, I think Erin used to look older but the baby seems to have reverse-aged her - she looks about 16 now!

They definitely said Erin was playing piano but suddenly became a bridesmaid.

Michael looks so much like Erin in some of those shots- I never realized how much they look alike.

Yeah, Bradley is cute as hell.

So the bridesmaids were Kelly, Jana, and the Bates sisters down to Tori?

I am not seeing any pics of Jeb, who is the only fundie I really like.

MK has the same look in so many of the pictures. I wonder, does she always scrunch up her nose when she smiles? I do not watch their show as I do not get that station.

Edited to add: Some of our most treasured friends came from the UK to attend our daughter's wedding. Some of the greatest moments were when they asked, throughout the weekend, about certain Midwest wedding traditions and then told us what a typical wedding in their country would be like. Hopefully, we will be able to return the gesture one day and fly to their home when their children get married.

I know how that feels. My cousins were hosting an exchange student from Switzerland when I was married. I let her keep my book with I ne of my other cousins. Also, a family at our church hosts Chinese students from the local university frequently and those girls were so excited to get to see an American wedding while they were here. I remember they were snapping so many pictures during the reception. I was glad I could show them a little bit of our culture.

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

Close up of the tiers.

So bad.

I think this was the "married woman" dress and was likely chosen by Kelly. Michael liked it, and Erin just went with it. It just ages Erin so much. I would like to see how it looks on Kelly.

To the person who asked about the variations even in a region: the dividing line seems to run along the lines of booze and dancing. I suppose birds of a feather flock together, and I've only been invited to one no drinking/no dancing wedding (my friend drank/danced but religious parents were footing the bill).

I remember my friends and I being confused when we were told it was a no booze/no dancing wedding - we couldn't fathom a wedding without drinks and entertainment! We ended up going to the ceremony and leaving immediately after for drinks.

FYI - couples need to do what works for them. I'm not giving the stink-eye to cake/punch weddings, only relaying what is commonly done where I'm from.

I think this was the "married woman" dress and was likely chosen by Kelly. Michael liked it, and Erin just went with it. It just ages Erin so much. I would like to see how it looks on Kelly.

I actually thought Kelly looked nice in the brown dress. I assume Michael chose it for her mom and then also made Erin/the married women wear it

Wow those tiers are hideous :

May be best first post ever? (I'm just laughing so hard imagining you looking at those tiers and hating them so much that you couldn't hold back any longer. Awesome.)

ETA. I have no idea what happened with these quotes! :cry:

Couple questions/observations:

We are on page 17 and no one has even mentioned whether or not "Mr. Gothard" was there. I am betting he was but all the good l'il ATI-ers were informed not to snap him

I think the tiered dresses would have been okay as midi-dresses. The tiers should have not gone to the ground. I just wonder if they were meant to be shorter but since the girls are so small, they didn't realize that and thought they were floor length?

Alyssa looks so much older than 19- I don't mean she looks old, but she looks more like mid-late 20s. I was like that as well, and looked about 25 from the time I was 16 until I was around 35. Oddly, I think Erin used to look older but the baby seems to have reverse-aged her - she looks about 16 now!

They definitely said Erin was playing piano but suddenly became a bridesmaid.

Michael looks so much like Erin in some of those shots- I never realized how much they look alike.

Yeah, Bradley is cute as hell.

So the bridesmaids were Kelly, Jana, and the Bates sisters down to Tori?

I am not seeing any pics of Jeb, who is the only fundie I really like.

I have a question or two as well. Did Josh and Anna go with the Duggars?

Like you, I wonder if Bill Gothard flew in for this Bates wedding. Nasty old man with no neck and dead blackbird hair should stand out in photos.

Will the tabloid or newspaper which posted how the Duggars were going to crash the wedding post an accurate account of what seems to me to be an orderly wedding?

I have a question or two as well. Did Josh and Anna go with the Duggars?

Like you, I wonder if Bill Gothard flew in for this Bates wedding. Nasty old man with no neck and dead blackbird hair should stand out in photos.

Will the tabloid or newspaper which posted how the Duggars were going to crash the wedding post an accurate account of what seems to me to be an orderly wedding?

It was the Daily Mail which posted that. It's a well-known beacon of bullshit. So... IDK if they'll post an accurate account, if any account. No idea if they were there or not. At least I can say one thing about their readers though- they seem to be as anti-Duggar as we are!

Archived