IGNORED

Michael Bates Brandon Keilen wedding

19 cats and counting

Speaking of drinking etiquette, I'd like to share a funny story with you guys.

My dad retired recently. So on Father's Day this year we had a whole bunch of people at the house. Once everyone was there my dad busted out this moonshine he made (Well he bought the moonshine and flavored it himself, he didn't make bathroom gin Loolll) and gave a teensy bit for everyone to try. I didn't have a glass but I tried some of my sisters. It was SUPER strong but my dad made it taste like pears so I liked it.

My dad had given some to my grandma's cousin not knowing she didn't want any. She was going to give it to my grandma but I said I would take it and she looked at me in shock. My grandma says:

"Don't look surprised! We are a family of lushes. We raise them that way on purpose so they don't wake up naked

in some strangers bed!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

That reminds me of my high school BFF. At family parties and such she would insist she drink (not to the point of drunkenness) by saying, "My daughter is not going to be the fool dancing on tables because she can't handle her liquor."

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hahaha. I just looked up Alyssa's wedding cause everyone was talking shit about how bright it was but I like it! Which is not surprising cause I do love bright everything. I'm not crazy about those pink bridesmaid dresses though, because that shade of pink looks good on no one. Still better than Michael's brown tiered monstrosity though lol.

I will never understand why she picked those brown dressed. She could have just thrown a brown sash around the pink ones and called it a day.

I'm not sure which I hate to wear the most, those pink dresses from Alyssa's wedding, Michelle's mother of the bride dress, or that brown dress.

Maybe we need to start a "worst fundie dresses" thread hehehe.

We so should! I reckon Beall Phillips, wife of The :music-tool: , would feature highly. DANG those dresses the little girls were wearing were HIDEOUS.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beall ... -4r4nlM%3A

I actually don't hate the brown bridesmaid's dresses. I don't particularly like them, but to me, nothing compares with the mess Alyssa orchestrated. I definitely prefer the pink ones though. I'd consider those for an event of my own.

Holy hair.

They may have gotten a good look in the mirror.

Has anyone else seen the Boutique section of that website? :pink-shock:

Yeah, no :shock: And the bride's dress is actually quite pretty and normal looking. Those bridesmaid dresses look like a modified old-school prison jumpsuit.

They make me think of candy stripers gone bad.

They found out the bride wasn't as pure as she should have been, and they were praying that the lord would forgive her so she could continue with her wedding.

Or they just told her what was going to happen on her wedding night.

Reminds me of a scene from the Rodney Dangerfield movie from the '80s "Easy Money" where Jennifer Jason Leigh (as Allison) is with her new husband (Julio) on her wedding night and she says, "I've never been with a man before" and he replies "Neither have I."

post-11715-14452000656853_thumb.jpg

I'm attaching an up close pic of Michaella's dress bodice. I do agree it emphasizes the girls. I think her hair is always over it because of the seam between her shoulders and bodice, I sew, as does Michealla, and that seam would annoy me too.

Also being one of the 100 or so people it seems have UP on their cable, I feel for y'all who don't makes it harder to snark lol...I also know almost everyone here DVRs it/watches it online because the comments on episodes flood in about 2-3 days after it airs.... Anyway, I remember Kelly saying on the BUB ( episode where Michael was shopping for dresses online) that she liked the pink lace dresses but not for someone like her since they would show every lump and bump (or something like that). She liked the brown flower girl dresses since it reminded her of MOB silver layered dress (YES the silver fish monstrous thing that Michelle Duggar also wore). So I'm guessing she wanted the layers since as she said during the conversation "they hide everything and are so flattering" and since Erin was postpartum (and keep in mind she had Carson a month early) she probably talked her into getting one to hide her post baby belly. (which is no where in site, IMHO)

"Sending her off. We are missing her already....moving away on all of us like that! It's going to be hard not seeing her all the time. Ryan said he didn't think she'd ever get married and move away and start her own family; she's supposed to be babysitting him instead lol! But we are very happy for her, too, and are super excited for her and her hubby!"

Who are these people and how do they know the Bateses? I can't see any about page on the blog or anything like that.

I'm guessing it is the family for which she was a full time nanny, since she is moving to Chicago, I would assume she has resigned. I'm guessing Ryan is the older of the two boys she was watching.

Is there a particular site people are watching the show online? We just cut our DirecTV service yesterday, so we don't get UP any longer. I've looked around but can't find anything that seems legit or doesn't require you to sign up for an account.

Can someone please explain to me what the function is of all those bridesmaids, flower girls, men at a wedding?

Here you have maybe 1, 2 or 3 little bridesmaids just because its looks pretty but they don't really have a function. Or you have non just like i did (no little girls in my family at that time), we had 4 witnesses to sign the papers and that's all.

And how do you decide who is what?

Can someone please explain to me what the function is of all those bridesmaids, flower girls, men at a wedding?

Here you have maybe 1, 2 or 3 little bridesmaids just because its looks pretty but they don't really have a function. Or you have non just like i did (no little girls in my family at that time), we had 4 witnesses to sign the papers and that's all.

And how do you decide who is what?

In my experience, having all of those attendants has no function. But in the weddings I've attended with 1000+ bridesmaids (or so it seemed), a lot of the bridesmaids were close family members, or women who had the bride in their wedding as a BM. I think a lot of the time, the bride may feel obligated to include certain people in the wedding party lest they face the wrath of another family member. I know many a family drama that has erupted over so-and-so feeling like they were snubbed because their dear cousin Julie Ann didn't ask them to be a bridesmaid. :roll:

If you hate your friends & family enough to make them wear some of theses dresses why are asking them to stand up for you?

I believe the traditional function of bridesmaids was to fool demons.

I just went to the wedding of a friend who was one of my bridesmaids. If she had her way, the bridesmaids would have been me and three other friends (plus sister as MOH). Because her family was paying for her wedding, they made her pick her step-sister and three cousins who didn't lift a finger to help her. She ended up making me and the three friends "associate bridesmaids." We all bought coral dresses individually (the official bridesmaids wore mint.) We did all of the things bridesmaids normally do, like helping her put on the dress and getting our hair done with her. She even secretly told the photographer that she wanted more pictures of us and less of the mint girls. Me and another coral girl were witnesses for the marriage license, while my husband and her boyfriend were ketubah signers. The one thing we didn't do was stand up during the ceremony, which was really a bonus. I hope she was happy, but the whole thing was very convoluted.

[attachment=0]mbates dress.jpg[/attachment]

I'm attaching an up close pic of Michaella's dress bodice. I do agree it emphasizes the girls. I think her hair is always over it because of the seam between her shoulders and bodice, I sew, as does Michealla, and that seam would annoy me too.

OK now with a better look at the bodice I am going to go with that it was altered in some way and retract my theory that it was a modest dress to begin with. The clue is that the ruched area over the bust seems to overlap the dress bodice under the bust. The beading design on the dress just stops there. So this looks like some sort of short top (along the lines of a shrug or bolero but not just open in front) added to the dress instead of the t-shirt style insert / sleeves that Erin had. The sleeve style is probably such so it can be secured to the strapless bodice underneath. Michael being a sewer, she probably had a better idea of making this dress look like it wasn't obviously altered. Being modest, she probably wanted something that covered the girls more too.

In my experience, having all of those attendants has no function. But in the weddings I've attended with 1000+ bridesmaids (or so it seemed), a lot of the bridesmaids were close family members, or women who had the bride in their wedding as a BM. I think a lot of the time, the bride may feel obligated to include certain people in the wedding party lest they face the wrath of another family member. I know many a family drama that has erupted over so-and-so feeling like they were snubbed because their dear cousin Julie Ann didn't ask them to be a bridesmaid. :roll:

Holy Family Dynamics, Batman!

I decided to have my SIL as a BM because of the potential family shitstorm that it was going to cause. Originally I planned my sisters, my close cousin and a friend. Just 4 but decided to go to 5 and include SIL. It wasn't worth the trouble, besides I reasoned that as Mr. No's sister, she would be attending the wedding anyway and if she wanted to spring for the dress etc, well it was no real skin off my nose. My parents thought I shouldn't have, but in the end, it was very good idea thing I did because SIL can do no wrong and MIL would remember forever how her golden child was passed over. My MIL complains about SIL a lot but Lord help anyone who appears to do SIL any wrong.

Hmmmm, thx for your answer. Could you skip having that wedding party?

Also, in my mind asking people to pay for their own dress is strange (and at $900?! :pink-shock: ), here the bride pays for the bridesmaids dress if she wants one.

They make me think of candy stripers gone bad.

I see they are paying homage to Pugsley Addams in their striped dresses.

According to a People article, it was a Mori Lee with custom sleeves added:

For Michaella’s walk down the aisle, she chose a Mori Lee design with custom added sleeves, while her bridesmaids, including close pal Jana, wore pink and khaki dresses.

http://www.people.com/article/bringing- ... ve-details

Holy Family Dynamics, Batman!

I decided to have my SIL as a BM because of the potential family shitstorm that it was going to cause. Originally I planned my sisters, my close cousin and a friend. Just 4 but decided to go to 5 and include SIL. It wasn't worth the trouble, besides I reasoned that as Mr. No's sister, she would be attending the wedding anyway and if she wanted to spring for the dress etc, well it was no real skin off my nose. My parents thought I shouldn't have, but in the end, it was very good idea thing I did because SIL can do no wrong and MIL would remember forever how her golden child was passed over. My MIL complains about SIL a lot but Lord help anyone who appears to do SIL any wrong.

To the bold - are we related? That sounds just like my MIL and SIL! Their co-dependency relationship drives me crazy only because both SIL and MIL complain to us about the other one but when we gave advice our heads got bitten off. We stopped giving advice years ago, now we roll our eyes (behind their back of course; we are super mature ;) ). We can only take so much of their wah wah complaining of each other with no changes.

I saw this picture of Michael and Jana from the Wedding and this is all I can think anytime I see a photo of Jana in the wedding.

vimbk7.jpg

To the bold - are we related? That sounds just like my MIL and SIL! Their co-dependency relationship drives me crazy only because both SIL and MIL complain to us about the other one but when we gave advice our heads got bitten off. We stopped giving advice years ago, now we roll our eyes (behind their back of course; we are super mature ;) ). We can only take so much of their wah wah complaining of each other with no changes.

Are you both related to Big Edie and Little Edie?

STAUNCH!

If you hate your friends & family enough to make them wear some of theses dresses why are asking them to stand up for you?

Good grief, what a mess I made of that post. My dog is in labor and I'm distracted. It was supposed to say:

If you hate your friends & family enough to make them wear some of these dresses why are you asking them to stand up for you?

Archived