IGNORED

Michael Bates Brandon Keilen wedding

19 cats and counting

And now I've made the mistake of wandering to the "swim wear" section of their website. How does one swim in those damn things? :think:

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My niece had a dry wedding and a live band. Unfortunately, the dance floor was mostly empty during the entire wedding because the guests (and the bride and groom) were in the parking lot drinking. It looked like tailgating before a football game. I wouldn't have been happy if it was my wedding, but since the bride and groom were participating, I guess it wasn't a problem.

Not with alcohol, but I had a similar experience with food. We keep kosher, so all the food we served at events was vegetarian or fish. Our rehearsal dinner was at, IMHO, the best deep-dish pizza restaurant in the Chicago area. We served several cheese and veggie pizzas out on the buffet, including the restaurant's signature pizza (all veggie). I later found out that one of the groomsmen was begging my husband to let him order a pepperoni pizza. My husband refused.

I thought the bridesmaid dresses were very pretty, but a weird choice for a wedding in August (or a wedding in general). The dresses belong on a matronly older woman. Like a grandmother of the bride dress or something. But I thought the bridesmaids actually rocked the dresses. Erin looked amazing and Alyssa looked very nice in her dress.

But then I had the misfortune to go to the website where the dresses came from and wow! The collection as a whole, seeing them one after another...those are some hideous dresses. The worst in my opinion is the bridal party in the gray tiered dress (looks like a tshirt dress with layers) wearing huge colorful headbands...

Because no one should miss these monstrosities hidden near the end of the never-ending page...

b-striped-maxi-dress-tan.jpeg?t=1413855160

Yeah, no :shock: And the bride's dress is actually quite pretty and normal looking. Those bridesmaid dresses look like a modified old-school prison jumpsuit.

Anna's wedding dress is still the most timeless, most modest and best fitting to her body of all the Duggars and Bates girl's wedding dresses.

Both Jill and Jessa had beautiful dresses that didn't fit well. Didn't they get alterations after buying it?

Erin's and Michael's dresses look almost the same to me, same style. But something about those dresses looked off because of the added material for the cleavage and sleeves.

If I was a modest bride I would pick Anna's dress and buy some beautiful jewelry to go with it. I liked her's a lot.

Actually I'll get married in november but my dress will be more Kate Middleton style. And I ask myself a lot: Why do fundie women not go for lace? I have not seen any lace sleeves or anything lace in the wedding dresses AT ALL in those fundie weddings? Why? It would be a nice way to be modest and modern??

Site link please?

I once had to fork out $600 for a bridesmaids dress.

Holy crap. If someone asked me to pay for a $600 dress, I would seriously consider forfeiting the relationship. And I for sure would ask to be put on candle lighter or guest book duty instead. Yikes.

I'm a tea totaler. My other tea totaler friends and I agree that we manage to do some pretty stupid and clumsy things WITHOUT the influence of alcohol so we are better off with our diet coke and iced tea. Also, my mouth tends to get me in trouble when I'm completely sober so...again...I can't imagine myself even a little tipsy.

Just throwing this question out there: If you were invited to an event that was CLEARLY a non alcoholic event, would any of you stand around outside and pour rum into the soft drinks that were provided? We did have that at our reception and I was pretty insulted. Basically I felt like they were telling us that this party was so lame they could only get through it with a little alcohol, while inside the young people were having a blast! Plus, if the venue's coordinator had seen it, it would have completely tainted the relationship I'd built with her for a year of planning. We'd signed a contract agreeing there would be no alcohol on the premises and these people kind of threw us under the bus with their actions, in my opinion. Thoughts?

I think it was very rude for people to do that, because if the venue people had found out, it could have caused you a great deal of trouble. If someone can't attend an event that lasts a couple of hours without having an alcoholic drink, they might have a drinking problem. Or maybe they just have very poor manners. I like to have a drink or two from time to time, but I can also have a lot of fun drinking seltzer water spiked with a lemon slice. If someone tells me that the venue does not allow alcohol, I'm not going to sneak it in.

I just went to the bridesmaids dresses site and I'm not sure what to say. Does this confirm that the Bateses don't have internet and, therefore, could not view these photos? Or, maybe the catalogues, if they existed, were all destroyed in a fire?

I really don't want to be mean but oh my god. And, yes, there are just a few styles, in some pretty interesting colours. And very ill-suited to some of the bridesmaids in these photos. The pink are the only remotely pretty ones. And, my god, the hair on some of these brides/bridesmaids. Most of the pictures make me want to cry - I feel so sad for them. But, I'm sure they were all very happy or they wouldn't have chosen them? Why does modest have to mean ugly? Whitney looked lovely. I don't understand their thinking on this, really. Yikes.

And the bathing suits. 'Nuff said.

Holy crap. If someone asked me to pay for a $600 dress, I would seriously consider forfeiting the relationship. And I for sure would ask to be put on candle lighter or guest book duty instead. Yikes.

Yeah, that might be a deal breaker on the friendship. LOL.

Yeah, that might be a deal breaker on the friendship. LOL.

I have personal friends who turned down offers to be bridesmaids when they found out what the bride was expecting them to fork out for the various wedding costs. Sorry, but people have families and bills, and not everyone can afford to spend hundreds (I even knew one who wanted thousands) on your wedding.

Hmm. I stil can't see the dress that well but from what I can see I still like it. I think the rouched area is pretty and I think it blends in fine. Am I missing something? Anyone want to point out where you can tell it's altered?

Since this is the internet and things can sound wrong, I'm not saying this to be snarky or make you "prove" you're right or something. I am just curious and would like to see the shitty alterations if I can lol.

Sewer chiming in. I can't tell in the pictures shown so far if the dress has definitely been altered or not. Part of the problem is Michael's long hair so I can't get a really good look at the bodice top. If it is an altered strapless dress, then as far as I can see, they did a good job of raising the neckline and blending it in. However, I am also wondering if Michael actually chose an already modest dress. I have noticed that some modest dresses have some different designs in the neckline and the clue for me is that shallow V-neck.

I have personal friends who turned down offers to be bridesmaids when they found out what the bride was expecting them to fork out for the various wedding costs. Sorry, but people have families and bills, and not everyone can afford to spend hundreds (I even knew one who wanted thousands) on your wedding.

I turned down a friend's offer due to cost. I really wanted to do it but at the time, we were struggling financially and it wasn't possible. She didn't get it, she really didn't.

I thought the bridesmaid dresses were very pretty, but a weird choice for a wedding in August (or a wedding in general). The dresses belong on a matronly older woman. Like a grandmother of the bride dress or something. But I thought the bridesmaids actually rocked the dresses. Erin looked amazing and Alyssa looked very nice in her dress.

But then I had the misfortune to go to the website where the dresses came from and wow! The collection as a whole, seeing them one after another...those are some hideous dresses. The worst in my opinion is the bridal party in the gray tiered dress (looks like a tshirt dress with layers) wearing huge colorful headbands...

The headbands get me, too. Good lord, that is not a good look. Case in point, what is going on with these poor little flower girls?! The one on the left is in an ill-fitting, but traditional flower girl dress, but the one on the right is dressed up like Cindy Brady walked into a curtain factory. Why is she wearing that awful headband and what appear to be knee-high lace spats? Why didn't they coordinate the two flower girls and the third little girl who appears to be a junior bridesmaid? WHY?!

post-8463-14452000654004_thumb.jpg

The headbands get me, too. Good lord, that is not a good look. Case in point, what is going on with these poor little flower girls?! The one on the left is in an ill-fitting, but traditional flower girl dress, but the one on the right is dressed up like Cindy Brady walked into a curtain factory. Why is she wearing that awful headband and what appear to be knee-high lace spats? Why didn't they coordinate the two flower girls and the third little girl who appears to be a junior bridesmaid? WHY?!

The headband girl is bad, but I think the bride wins the worst dress award. Good golly, that is hideous.

I might be a lone voice here, but I LOVE the pink dress... so much that if I was getting married any time soon I'd buy a white one for myself! Unfortunately, I'm single, so that would be a bit weird.

Knee-high lace spats.... :lol: :lol: :lol: At first glance I really thought that little girl had two casts on and I actually said "Oh, poor little thing.." But nope. Nope. Just a tacky wedding.

I would love to have those pumps - the turquoise and the red....and a reason to wear them.

I might be a lone voice here, but I LOVE the pink dress... so much that if I was getting married any time soon I'd buy a white one for myself! Unfortunately, I'm single, so that would be a bit weird.

I like it too. It could easily be cut off to knee length and worn several times too. Jana could do a really nice job of that. I couldn't wear it because I am really fair-skinned and that color makes me look like boiled chicken breast.

Regarding prices of bridesmaids' dresses. Someone recently told me she was asked to be in a wedding but her dress was going to be $900!! She told the bride to please go on with her wedding plans but she could not take part. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! I can't imagine what the bride's gown cost if her attendants were expected to wear such an expensive dress.

I like it too. It could easily be cut off to knee length and worn several times too. Jana could do a really nice job of that. I couldn't wear it because I am really fair-skinned and that color makes me look like boiled chicken breast.

Regarding prices of bridesmaids' dresses. Someone recently told me she was asked to be in a wedding but her dress was going to be $900!! She told the bride to please go on with her wedding plans but she could not take part. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! I can't imagine what the bride's gown cost if her attendants were expected to wear such an expensive dress.

I am agog at this!! Mostly due to the fact that it isn't just about the cost of the dress, but also the shoes, alterations, and hair. As well as participating in and/or throwing the bridal shower, luncheons, Bachelorette party, etc., and a gift for the happy couple. And in some cases, airline tickets and a hotel room. That comes out to a serious chunk of change with even the most considerate of brides--and I can't imagine one asking for a $900 dress is overly considerate. :?

I know how that feels. My cousins were hosting an exchange student from Switzerland when I was married. I let her keep my book with I ne of my other cousins. Also, a family at our church hosts Chinese students from the local university frequently and those girls were so excited to get to see an American wedding while they were here. I remember they were snapping so many pictures during the reception. I was glad I could show them a little bit of our culture.

I think the quote is messed up here. I didn't say that.

I actually really like the knee length, frilly pink dress from the the website. I don't know why because that sort of thing is usually not my style AT ALL, but for some reason I think it's really cute.

I turned down a friend's offer due to cost. I really wanted to do it but at the time, we were struggling financially and it wasn't possible. She didn't get it, she really didn't.

Yeah, we are NOT friends anymore. I have an enduring faith in the goodness of people and this one prove to be a spoiled, racist little twit.

I have never been a bridesmaid. If my sister gets married I'll deffently be the maid-of-honor but she's not dating anyone right now.

I am agog at this!! Mostly due to the fact that it isn't just about the cost of the dress, but also the shoes, alterations, and hair. As well as participating in and/or throwing the bridal shower, luncheons, Bachelorette party, etc., and a gift for the happy couple. And in some cases, airline tickets and a hotel room. That comes out to a serious chunk of change with even the most considerate of brides--and I can't imagine one asking for a $900 dress is overly considerate. :?

My dad once paid $850 for a bridesmaid dress for me (I was 15) and they cancelled the wedding. The bride-not-to-be was his sister and it made for some very interesting family dinners.

Please also note the lines of weathered doors behind them.

Also, is it terrible that I saw that the site caters to Apostolic Pentecostals and thought "Oh, that explains a lot." :?

Archived