IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 3

happy atheist

While I have no doubt that Zach will remain a conservative Christian, I don't get the impression he is drowning in the Gothard Koolaid like some others (Brandon, The FAB David Waller etc). He did undertook training for a real, bonafide career/job rather than 'taking his financial needs to the Lord' and I for some reason I can't really explain, I easily see him and Whitney being strategic with pregnancies so he doesn't end up with more kids than he can afford. I don't see them being the type to try and pop out as many as humanly possible to build a 'Quiverfull trophy case' of kids.

(Actually, out of all the married Bates kids...I don't see any of them as the type to do that. I think Michaella will have a biggish family, but not as 'trophies' but because she seems to type to genuinely want a few kids, she seems to genuinely like looking after children. Chad/Erin will likely have a small family with her health issues, and I can see Alyssa having three or four...maaaaybe five before 30 and then God just happens to decide to stop blessing her around then).

My predictions:

Zach & Whitney: 3-4 kids. I agree he is not going to have more kids than he can afford on a policeman's salary.

Erin & Chad: 2-3 kids but there is a chance Carson could end up an only child due to Erin's health issues. They would probably be happy with a ton of kids, but Chad is too crazy about Erin to risk her life for a large family.

Alyssa & John: 2-5 kids. Alyssa really seems to like the peace and quiet of a smaller family as well as being able to afford to fun things like eating out and shopping.

Michaela & Brandon: 5+ kids. They are the most entrenched in the quiverful movement considering Brandon works for Gothard. I do think Michaela would be happy with a large family, though, so it's not a concern to me as long as Brandon can provide for his family without grifting.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived