IGNORED

Things the Maxwells or any fundie will never get to do

SPHASH

Be grateful for the privilege of having enough for themselves and go out into the community to serve others less fortunate - not just at the nursing home. Work in a soup kitchen/food pantry on a regular basis, volunteer their renovation skills with Habitat For Humanity or some other organization that helps build homes for low income/poor people, etc.

You know, do something to make their little corner of the world a better place instead of holing up in Fortress Maxhell until the end of the world.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Saturday I marched with a bunch of LGBT Christians and supporters at London Pride, next to (gasp!) LGBT Muslims (all the faith groups were marching in the same block). Definitely not something a fundie will ever get to do!

Maxwell--never do: anything not schedules; never drink a Pepsi; never have a 2nd burrito; never do something inappropriate to their gender; never have FUN.

Embrace the joy of living instead of waiting for death.

Check out at Sams Club without having to ask the woman if she knows where she is going when she dies.

Women can not have an epidural or other pain relief during labor. Women can not limit number of pregnancies despite any

medical issues or complications.

Learn verified history. Or, anything, really.

Get a text/email/phone call from a crush.

Choose their own partner, for anything.

Binge watch Netflix.

Make a decision entirely their own and for their own benefit.

The girls will never have sex because Steve will never let them leave his control.

The girls will also never share a joke with a coworker or get a promotion or get fired.

I think it would be a shorter list to go with what they can / will do. Essentially, they will never live their own lives or experience anything life has to offer, good, bad or indifferent.

Study Charles Darwin. Read about people who attended Woodstock. Peruse Mother Earth News and National Geographic. Call in sick to work. Sit around a camp fire with non relatives, and decide for themselves whether to drink a beer. Hang out with coworkers in a diner. Talk to someone who went to a civil-rights protest. Complain...about anything.

Go to a renaissance faire. Celebrate a birthday at Medieval Times. Wear 3D glasses. Laugh at a comedien (real or on TV). Sunbathe. Dye their hair. Know who Walter White and Daryl Dixon are. Wear a costume on Halloween.

They will never go to Burning Man, Coachella, Bonnaroo or TomorrowWorld. They will never experience a TED talk or a Faerie Festival or Free Spirit Gathering. Sad.

They will never go to Burning Man, Coachella, Bonnaroo or TomorrowWorld. They will never experience a TED talk or a Faerie Festival or Free Spirit Gathering. Sad.

I have done zero of these things, and I do not feel like I am missing out. It's not sad at all. Actually, I really only know what Burning Man and TED is.

And how many people have really attended TED talks? TEDx, yes. But TED? Like 1% of the 1% goes to those things.

Go to a frat party. Drive 300 miles to see a really great concert. Go to 7-11 at 3am. Sit in the back yard and just look at the flowers and birds. Sit in Starbucks with a grande-mocha-latte-whatever and a good book. Have a pet just because you like animals. Take a nap on a winter afternoon. Go to the mall and buy something simply because you like it. Run in a charity race.

This thread is really starting to make me sad for these people. I promise that from now on, no matter how stressed and bogged down I get, I will always be grateful that I have the opportunity to experience so much, because the opposite extreme is to dust fans and pray to Stevehova.

I have done zero of these things, and I do not feel like I am missing out. It's not sad at all. Actually, I really only know what Burning Man and TED is.

And how many people have really attended TED talks? TEDx, yes. But TED? Like 1% of the 1% goes to those things.

Yes, but in all likelihood, you chose not to do them. I never had any interest in attending Lollapalooza and such, but that was my decision. (I'm not familiar with TED). Even if Sarah Maxwell heard of any of these things, Steve and Teri would flat-out refuse to let her get involved in them.

Sorry, catlady, for missing the "x" with the TED. Small phone probs.

I don't do things that others listed - drink margaritas, go to sporting events or go away for spring break vacays. I CHOOSE not to do these. My point is Maxwell childults won't ever get to CHOOSE.

BTW, attending Burning Man, Coachella, Bonnaroo, TomorrowWorld, Free Spirit Gathering and Faerie Festivals have made me a better, more accepting, understanding person, as I used to be Fundie Lite / Medium.

Poop with the bathroom door open.

Or maybe they do that anyway so they don't accidentally masturbate or wipe sensually..

Simply learn something new. Some of the most fun is just learning something new and funky- for example, in the last two days I learned about a tiny deep sea octopus that looks like it has ears and that the normally divergent harmonic series (1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4...) will converge if you throw out any number containing any given string of digits. For example, if you cast out all numbers that have the digit 9 (1/9, 1/19, 1/195), etc, or the string 12345 (1/12345, 1/9912345, ...) anywhere in the number, it will converge.

Neither of these is remotely meaningful in my life. But they're neat.

Music would be the other killer. I just drove my kids ~150 miles to see a concert. I listen to music constantly- how do you live without it?

roll down the road at excessive speeds while listening to "Life In The Fast Lane" so loud the mirrors are vibrating. People-watch on the Las Vegas Strip. Go braless. Wear shorts.

Yes, but in all likelihood, you chose not to do them. I never had any interest in attending Lollapalooza and such, but that was my decision. (I'm not familiar with TED). Even if Sarah Maxwell heard of any of these things, Steve and Teri would flat-out refuse to let her get involved in them.

Exactly so. This is not bragging. No one here has said that they've done everything they've listed. But we can all dream of doing these things, or decide for ourselves we don't want to or choose to do something else instead. We have options. Maxwells do not.

The thought of that really depresses me.

Go to the ballet. Dance!

Hang with friends without fellowshiping.

Spring break

Slip through water like a seal.

Go sailing.

Go traveling when you aren't pushing a stroller or walking in a line. So you can actually experience what is around you.

Archived