IGNORED

Fundie responses to the SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage

lilwriter85

I have an honest question here. Pastors don't HAVE to marry gay couples if it's against their religion correct? It seems like that would be tantamount to requiring a Catholic to perform a bris or bad mitzvah. That seems like a bit of a sticky wicket given the photographer and baker shit that's gone on...

No.

Catholic priests turn down weddings all the time. They also can tell people who want to be married that they have to sit through 6 months of pre-wedding counselling and all sorts of bullshit. The prospective couple is free to go find somewhere else to be married (and completely piss off the priest).

In my state any person can marry someone. I think. I have to look into the rules again, but last I heard it was anyone can perform a wedding ceremony anywhere at least once. It's not about the ceremony, it's about the paper contract that you turn into the state.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have an honest question here. Pastors don't HAVE to marry gay couples if it's against their religion correct? It seems like that would be tantamount to requiring a Catholic to perform a bris or bad mitzvah. That seems like a bit of a sticky wicket given the photographer and baker shit that's gone on...

There's no way they can make churches marry them. Churches already refuse to marry people on many grounds. Heck, I'm Catholic and a priest wouldn't marry me now either because my divorce has not been annulled.

There are a ton of other reasons as well. The church won't marry a catholic and an atheist. I'm assuming protestant churches wouldn't either. I'm quite sure I couldn't get married in a mosque or temple either. When I married my ex we had two weddings- one in my catholic church and one in his Greek orthodox church because the orthodox wouldn't recognize our wedding.

Thank you! I knew that was the case, but I didn't know why. My sister says it's because religion is an enumerated right so it supersedes interpreted rights. All the fundies heads exploded before they got to the part in the opinion specifically saying clergy don't have to participate (not that any of them read it...)

There's no way they can make churches marry them. Churches already refuse to marry people on many grounds. Heck, I'm Catholic and a priest wouldn't marry me now either because my divorce has not been annulled.

There are a ton of other reasons as well. The church won't marry a catholic and an atheist. I'm assuming protestant churches wouldn't either. I'm quite sure I couldn't get married in a mosque or temple either. When I married my ex we had two weddings- one in my catholic church and one in his Greek orthodox church because the orthodox wouldn't recognize our wedding.

In 1943 my father an atheist married my catholic mother in church, in front of a small altar in the back of the church. I believe they had special dispensation. This was in France.

After the second Vatican Concilium 1962, everything was allowed, getting married atheists, protestants and the like at least in the Netherlands. Getting a divorce was difficult, but possible.

As luck would have it, we don't even have to wait until tomorrow for Lori's first gems!

How did I know there would be an abortion rant? :lol:

Tim Bayly: “Christians of our nation have refused to confess the shamefulness of being governed by women, and so no one wants to point out that three women, Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, and Sonia Sotomayor, comprise the majority of the five justices forcing sodomite marriage on all fifty states of our Union. God warns His people of the curse of the rule of women over men… We've learned to live under women ruling over us, and even to preen ourselves over our equanimity in the face of it. But it is shameful because of God's Order of Creation… A key part of our shame in the shadow and darkness of this landmark ruling is that it is being forced on us by three deceived women—Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, and Sonia Sotomayor—who rule over us.â€

baylyblog.com/blog/2015/06/obergefell-v-hodges-three-five

What. the. fuck. We just couldn't make this shit up if we tried, could we?

Doug Wilson: “This is intended to establish enclaves or ghettos for us. They will be places where we are supposed to be able to go and not have to practice same sex mirage ourselves. This token, for token it is, will be something that the totalitarian left will assault next because the totalitarian left has no brakes on their agenda. They have no internal principle that allows them to say 'thus far and no farther.' And since they can’t say that, they won’t say that.â€

dougwils.com/s7-engaging-the-culture/red-queen-rising.html

ETA: The Reconstructionist Theonomists page on Facebook has been closed within the last 24 hours. Damn you, Nathaniel Darnell!

Nattie, you're a chickenshit. I challenge you to make the page public again.

In 1943 my father an atheist married my catholic mother in church, in front of a small altar in the back of the church. I believe they had special dispensation. This was in France.

After the second Vatican Concilium 1962, everything was allowed, getting married atheists, protestants and the like at least in the Netherlands. Getting a divorce was difficult, but possible.

You can marry an atheist, but it requires a dispensation. Marrying a protestant is no problem at all. While getting a civil divorce is easy- a Catholic annulment is not. It requires a 12-20 page narrative on the marriage along with 3 witness essays of 3-5 pages each.

RC Sproul Jr.: “42 years after the death of the republic and the rule of law, at least today will show the church we're not in sanity anymore.†(Roe v. Wade reference?)

facebook.com/rcsprouljr/posts/834682266613303

And predictably, Scottie Brown is using the opportunity to promote his swag at ncfic.org.

This is the best thread I've ever read on FJ. I've never laughed so much at fundie comments. These fundies are insane and so uneducated on the laws of our government vs religious rights. How can they possibly think that pastors, priests, etc are going to jail?

PSA to all fundies: read a book other than the KJV Bible. You might learn something. Like how the U.S. government works.

And one of my conservative Catholic friends has already made this about abortion. WTH?

You can marry an atheist, but it requires a dispensation. Marrying a protestant is no problem at all. While getting a civil divorce is easy- a Catholic annulment is not. It requires a 12-20 page narrative on the marriage along with 3 witness essays of 3-5 pages each.

And there is STILL a good chance they will decline to annul. An actual Catholic marriage actually CANNOT be dissolved for ANY reason. An annulment is the recognition that the marriage was never validly contracted to begin with and was therefore never valid.

From wikipedia: "A "Declaration of Nullity" is not the dissolution of an existing marriage (as is a dispensation from a marriage ratum sed non consummatum), but rather a determination that consent was never validly exchanged due to a failure to meet the requirements to enter validly into matrimony and thus a marriage never existed."

Wise mentor/perpetual victim Jen Fishburne: “Today, America openly rebels against God. What a very sad day in the history of our nation.â€

facebook.com/Jensgems/posts/10207173901933074?pnref=story

But her li’l buddy Nolan Manteufel disagrees when he says of Justice Kennedy’s closing paragraph: “Better synopsis of marriage than anything i remember in the Bible.â€

facebook.com/nolan.manteufel/posts/866227183424786?pnref=story

My parents were married by a Catholic priest in my aunt's living room, and my mom was Episcopalian, my dad was raised Catholic. My grandpa was the one who got the priest to do the ceremony, since he wasn't so sure even though it was after Vatican 2. Ultimately, my parents divorced, but in my opinion, they never should have stayed together for my brother and I since we could tell they were miserable.

Jordan Niednagel: “Our greatest defense of marriage is not necessarily for us to condemn the decision made by the courts today, but for Christians to show what true, Biblical, loving marriage looks like. Heterosexuals have ruined marriage, both inside and outside the church, and we are the guilty ones. May God kindle a fire in our hearts today that shines so bright that people can only stop to stare and say, ‘Wow, I want a marriage like that.’â€

facebook.com/niednagel/posts/10153040576881551?pnref=story

Oh, Gertrude, PLEASE!

For those who say they want to move out of the US, I wish them luck. If you are over 65 and on Medicare, you will have to move without your insurance benefits as Medicare covers you only in the US. I assume a large number of these Fundies are over 65 so they will have to make a decision if they want to emigrate. I hear Somalia has low taxes and no government interference. Actually, Somalia probably has no taxes and no real government. It would be a veritable heaven for Libertarians. Oh, and no gun laws! Win-win.

Those fundies would be very dissapointed in Somalia regarding gun laws, but they would love most other laws, as they are based on religious rules (only problem, Islam not Christian).

Somalia does, in fact, have a government, taxes, much stricter laws regarding personal freedom (sharia law!) and other areas than the US (so much for being a heaven for Libertarians) and much stricter gun laws than the US (whether they are enforced well or not is not the question, the rules are officially there. I mean, the US officially bans drugs, and we all see how well that one works out in real life). It's just that its governments have, like in most states around the world, sucked ass for decades, which resulted in the mess the country is currently in.

(for anyone intersted, you can compare the US and Somalias gun statistics here: gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/somalia and gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states)

But anyways, it's hilarious to see how fundies are flipping out. I hope someone taped PPs reaction when he learned about the decision :pray:

The Duggars must hate it that they can't go on a social media rampage right now. As far as I know, they only posted a bible quote on their fb and said that they were praying for their nation today.

Edited: correcting spelling and grammatical errors

For the most part, Protestant ministers don't care if you're divorced or marrying somebody outside of the faith. They may warn you against it, but I've never heard of any outright saying no.

The Reformed Protestants are different, though. Most of them would be hard-pressed to condone a marriage outside another Reformer.

Wise mentor/perpetual victim Jen Fishburne: “Today, America openly rebels against God. What a very sad day in the history of our nation.â€

facebook.com/Jensgems/posts/10207173901933074?pnref=story

Wait....WHAT? This from a woman who has been married and divorced 3 times and is consorting with another man without being married to him? I guess it's hunky dory with god if it is tab A inserted into slot B.

Jennie Chancey on the LAF Facebook page: “SCOTUS DEFIES GOD. GRANTS RIGHTS TO HOMOSEXUAL TYRANNY.â€

facebook.com/LadiesAgainstFeminism/posts/1129958837020335

ETA: “Show us your wedding photos! Post it in the comments. (only heterosexual and modest photos please)â€

facebook.com/LadiesAgainstFeminism/posts/1130110007005218

I was raised Catholic, forced to attend church by a mother who would not attend, because she was upset over changes in the church including not having Latin masses. I chose my own way once I became an adult.

Fast forward about 30 years later, my mother's brother was divorced and remarried. He was excommunicated when he remaried a not catholic also previously divorced woman. He was hospitalized with an aortic aneurysm. He asked for a priest to give him last rites. His second wife visited a priest with his request, and was turned down flat. But two days later, the priest contacted her, and said for a donation of $5000 to the church, a special dispensation could be made for the priest to give him last rites. My uncle said no way in @#$%@#$@%.

Right after that, he got a new roommate in long term care, a Baptist minister who did not preach, but answered my uncles questions and shared bible verses with him. They became friends, and my uncle chose to adopt a new set of beliefs. This same friend presided over my uncle's funeral, refrained from the hell and death sermon, and spoke quietly about not having to purchase forgiveness. It was an uncomfortable crowd of mostly Catholic family members.

My own beliefs are there is not a single religion that has the right answer, but you can examine all the different takes on a higher power and choose what is right for you. What is right for me, may not be right for you, but I'm okay with that.

The poor dears. They still seem to think they are going to be forced into same sex marriages themselves. Here's a quick FAQ for any FJer who likes commenting on fundie blogs:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/a-30 ... fects-you/

For some of them, I think it might be better written as "forced".

Some Fundies doth protest too much, methinks.

No. My pastor refused to marry my husband and me because my husband wasn't a member of the church. So we just went to the courthouse. Done.

The only reason a pastor would be forced to marry a couple is if he were operating a business marrying people (like in Vegas) rather than an actual church.

Wait....WHAT? This from a woman who has been married and divorced 3 times and is consorting with another man without being married to him? I guess it's hunky dory with god if it is tab A inserted into slot B.

So she's basically the woman at the well?

Jennie Chancey on the LAF Facebook page: “SCOTUS DEFIES GOD. GRANTS RIGHTS TO HOMOSEXUAL TYRANNY.â€

facebook.com/LadiesAgainstFeminism/posts/1129958837020335

ETA: “Show us your wedding photos! Post it in the comments. (only heterosexual and modest photos please)â€

facebook.com/LadiesAgainstFeminism/posts/1130110007005218

Yes, let's see all those stay-at-home daughters in their wedding photos! Botkinettes...wedding photos? Kelly and Andrea Reins? Sarah, Anna and Mary Maxwell? Wedding photos? Anyone? Anyone???

...crickets...

Archived