IGNORED

Fundie responses to the SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage

lilwriter85

Kelly Crawford argues about gay marriage with an erotic author in the "spanking genre" who likes men who "know how to keep their women in line when the need arises."

generationcedar.com/main/2015/06/how-to-live-and-parent-in-a-society-that-rejects-truth.html

kellydawsonauthor.blogspot.com/

Um… Team No One?

It never ceases to amaze me the shit that Kelly spews.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So in fundie minds, is there any sort of statute of limitations for when marriage equality will cause all the rains of fire and other End of the World stuff?

I mean, it's been almost a week and I haven't seen any hell fire at all.

Will they at some point realize/admit that nothing terrible is going to happen? Or, 200 years from now when California finally falls into the ocean, will they gloat and be all "Told ya so!"

I've got some fundie-lite friends on Facebook. I can see them commenting on a lot of their far more fundie friends' statuses about equal marriage being legalized. The reactions I'm seeing aren't so much fire and brimstone. Basically they're trying to show their moral superiority through humility. It's more a pseudo-acceptance of gay people, noting that we're all sinners, coupled with an affirmation it's evil behavior that doesn't deserve equal rights and we should all fear for the country's future.

It's kind of worse for me to read than outright bigotry and hellfire talk. Because it's so smug. Oh, you don't think gays should be locked up or shot? How generous of you people. Thanks!

Knowing how many of them will declare their intent to leave the county, may I just say, "Buh bye and don't let the door hit you on the way out." May they all find a remote island somewhere to set up camp where they will inevitably end up beating each other into unconsciousness with their bible (KJV, of course) because no one can decide who's got the direct line to god.

The ones that really amused me, early on, were those who said they were going to move to Canada. I think Canada is already way past this point, isn't it?

The Pisser made The Raw Story again, saying that stoning would solve the gay issue. There was also something about Pat Robertson saying that gays would force Christians to accept anal sex. My favorite comment on that was someone saying that he was taught to respect his elders, but since his parents are both dead, he could finally say that Pat was full of shit.

The few Facebook friends I have who belong to churches opposed to gay marriage have managed to stay silent on the issue. The majority of my Facebook friends have accepted LGBT rights, including marriage. Today, a Facebook friend had pictures of his daughter, my niece's cousin, dressed in a rainbow dress and the caption was "We teach love and tolerance in this house." This was the BIL of my brother and SIL who posted that picture.

Is Pat Robertson calling Mark Driscoll gay???? :o

Yesterday and today more and more ministers are saying they will never again perform a wedding of any kind or allow their church to be used for weddings, so that they can't be forced to perform a gay wedding --or rather sued for refusing to perform a gay wedding. :roll:

Some are calling for Christians to no longer get marriage licenses to which I say I hope that if they do, they make sure not to tell insurance or SSI that they are legally married.

I wonder what the outcome would be for life long SAHWs to discover that they don't qualify for widows benefits for SSI or Pensions since they were never legally married?

Have not read this entire thread. Is it true that Missouri has declared they will issue no more marriage licenses for *anyone*?

Edited to add: Wouldn't common law marriage protect those widows' rights? And with the ruling, "common law marriage" would apply to everyone in a committed relationship, wouldn't it? I'm not sure what the requirements are to be considered married that way. I have read recently somewhere that a common law marriage requires a legal divorce to dissolve.

The ones that really amused me, early on, were those who said they were going to move to Canada. I think Canada is already way past this point, isn't it?

Yep! Canada has had marriage equality since 2005!

Edit: It's hard to find a country these days with theocratic laws but all the perks of the developed, Western world.

Is it weird that I imagine all of these people moving to countries that don't have separation of church and state and pestering people for Jesus until they enact separation of church and state?

RC Sproul Jr.: “Why is polygamy the boogeyman of SSM? While polygamy is wrong, is it really further down the slippery slope? Isn't SSM worse?â€

facebook.com/rcsprouljr/posts/837426109672252

One commenter echoes the opinion of many FJers when she replies, “If the religious patriarchy, Quiverfull movement survives I predict its next step will be into polygamy.†Spanky denies it.

RC Sproul Jr.: “Why is polygamy the boogeyman of SSM? While polygamy is wrong, is it really further down the slippery slope? Isn't SSM worse?â€

One commenter echoes the opinion of many FJers when she replies, “If the religious patriarchy, Quiverfull movement survives I predict its next step will be into polygamy.†Spanky denies it.

What's the reasoning behind that prediction? Just an easier way to control multiple women and make the guys feel more kingly? Well, at least I suppose polygamy would have some basis in scripture, unlike a lot of the stuff they do :roll:

You can always tell someone is open minded when they refer to it as SSM.... :roll: That abbreviation allows me to spot bigots from a mile away.

How is polygamy less wrong/sinful than "SSM" given that the Bible's stance on it isn't as clear as its stance against same-sex marriage supposedly is? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygam ... ristianity

I'm trusting Wikipedia here since I'm on mobile and it lines up with what I recall. So, if we take the Bible at its literal word, polygamy is only outlawed for clergy, right? It seems more clear to me that serial monogamy is considered a sin more so than polygamy.

Also, isn't there the thought that "all sins are equal to God" espoused by some Christians? I don't know if that's RC Sproul Jr's or fundie thinking in general though...

I am ever so slightly pleased (not the best word but okay) that he refers to it as same-sex marriage in abbreviated form instead of gay marriage. He's being unwittingly more inclusive of the LGBTA+ community.

Also, isn't there the thought that "all sins are equal to God" espoused by some Christians? I don't know if that's RC Sproul Jr's or fundie thinking in general though...

Yes. I heard so many people say this when I lived in a heavily fundie-lite area, especially in the context of equal marriage. As in like, same-sex marriage wasn't good but it wasn't worse than other terrible sins like stealing or murder because all sins are equal in God's eyes.

Just saw another fundie response to the SCOTUS ruling online. Guy claimed that it wasn't religious people like him causing the real issues for the gay community because plenty of non-Christian countries have laws against homosexuality. I don't think he understands that other religions besides Christianity... exist? Or that multiple groups can be causing LGBT individuals to be persecuted? Plus he claims the most hatred towards gay people doesn't come from Christians but from non-religious people.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Just saw another fundie response to the SCOTUS ruling online. Guy claimed that it wasn't religious people like him causing the real issues for the gay community because plenty of non-Christian countries have laws against homosexuality. I don't think he understands that other religions besides Christianity... exist? Or that multiple groups can be causing LGBT individuals to be persecuted? Plus he claims the most hatred towards gay people doesn't come from Christians but from non-religious people.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Perhaps he means non-religious as equivalent to non-Christian? It's the only reason I can think of that doesn't make him out to be an ignoramus.

That said, Islam seems to be the go to for some Christians (esp. Conservative and fundie varieties). They can use it for religious intererence in government (i.e. well, we're not the only ones intolerant of homosexuals) or against (sharia is a violation of religious freedoms!!).

Doug Wilson Q&A:

"16. Do you think supporting same-sex marriage is a more serious problem than supporting slavery?

Yes, far more serious."

dougwils.com/s7-engaging-the-culture/time-for-a-little-q-a.html

Doug Wilson Q&A:

"16. Do you think supporting same-sex marriage is a more serious problem than supporting slavery?

Yes, far more serious."

:pink-shock:

Doug Wilson Q&A:

Yes, far more serious."

So taking an action that directly and purposefully eliminate the freedoms of another is better than an action that is made between consenting adults that directly affects no one but themselves? Yeah same-sex marriage sure is worse...

So taking an action that directly and purposefully eliminate the freedoms of another is better than an action that is made between consenting adults that directly affects no one but themselves? Yeah same-sex marriage sure is worse...

Their answer to this is always that our culture does not "celebrate" slavery, but it does "celebrate" gay marriage. Slave owners don't "have their own parades."

Their answer to this is always that our culture does not "celebrate" slavery, but it does "celebrate" gay marriage. Slave owners don't "have their own parades."

Doug Wilson = :music-tool:

Bryan Fischer, Conserative radio host, blogger compared 6/26 to 9/11. What an evil man.

Oh, but first he referenced the attack on Pearl Harbor!

A great, short Mother Jones article on it:

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/06 ... w-were-gay

Thanks to all who tracked down these reactions and posted them here -- DomWackTroll, you are really helping me catch up.

In her latest FB post about same sex marriage, Jen Fishburne supports a pastor who snottily condemns it, but goes on to reassure a straight adulterer that he’s not sinning because Big Government:

Mark B.: How about adultery, lust or fornication? I'm guilty of this until my future wife gets divorced. She's been separated for 10 years and her husband won't respond let alone answer various queries. I feel the guilt every time we're together?... I admit my sin so I'm not Christian now. I live with my sin. Will it send me to HELL or do I need a marriage certificate by man to be sanctified?

Jen: Mark, thanks for being honest here. I deeply appreciate that. That is between you and God. Do you NEED the government to say that your "wife" is no longer married to this man? Do you NEED the government to give you permission to marry her? Or can you and she simply take vows before God?

Then she takes a swipe at imprisoned daughter Natasha for being a lesbian. God, what a piece of work that woman is!

facebook.com/Jensgems/posts/10207250496607893?pnref=story

In her latest FB post about same sex marriage, Jen Fishburne supports a pastor who snottily condemns it, but goes on to reassure a straight adulterer that he’s not sinning because Big Government:

Mark B.: How about adultery, lust or fornication? I'm guilty of this until my future wife gets divorced. She's been separated for 10 years and her husband won't respond let alone answer various queries. I feel the guilt every time we're together?... I admit my sin so I'm not Christian now. I live with my sin. Will it send me to HELL or do I need a marriage certificate by man to be sanctified?

Jen: Mark, thanks for being honest here. I deeply appreciate that. That is between you and God. Do you NEED the government to say that your "wife" is no longer married to this man? Do you NEED the government to give you permission to marry her? Or can you and she simply take vows before God?

Then she takes a swipe at imprisoned daughter Natasha for being a lesbian. God, what a piece of work that woman is!

facebook.com/Jensgems/posts/10207250496607893?pnref=story

Probably not coincidental that the open letter of "apology" she so admires & links to was written by J.D. Hall (thewartburgwatch.com/2014/08/05/jd-hall-and-friends-theological-thuggery-and-braxton-caners-suicide/).

Good to see she's getting pushback, though.

Doug Wilson Q&A:

Yes, far more serious."

What. The. Actual. Fuck! Gay marriage hurts nobody, but slavery did, you fucking idiot!

rawstory.com/2015/07/anti-gay-nc-pastor-launches-movement-to-fly-christian-flag-above-the-american-flag/

A North Carolina pastor is calling on churches across the United States to install flag poles so that they can fly the Christian flag above the American flag to protest same-sex marriage.

“We should be flying the Christian flag above the American flag†as a demonstration that Christians will respect and obey the federal government up to the point that the government asks something that is inconsistent with what God has called His people to do,†he opined.

Varriale pointed to LGBT rights as proof that things in the country were “going wrong.â€

“In large part we started going wrong when we stopped standing up for things that are inherently part of the Christian life, like prayer,†he lamented. “The admonition from the government to stop praying in the public school system was packaged under the notion of rights — the rights of the individual.â€

“Now, stepping back and looking at the issue of prayer in school from a biblical perspective, the church made an incredible mistake by listening to and appeasing the government and refusing to pray with our children,†Varriale added. “Now we are reaping what we have sown by not standing up for the things we believe in.â€

In the future, Varriale said that he hoped to see Christians practicing the same kind of civil disobedience that had made the LGBT movement successful.

And Elisabeth Hasselbeck isn't a fan:

rawstory.com/2015/07/plot-twist-elisabeth-hasselbeck-scolds-anti-gay-pastor-for-flying-christian-flag-above-american-flag/

“Pastor, some may agree with your message there but the method in which you’re showing it is really piercing some,†she insisted, noting that viewers had called Christian flag display an “insult to our country†and “unpatriotic.â€

“So, what do you say to people who feel as though you are actually disrespecting Old Glory in putting forth your message?†the Fox News host pressed.

Varriale said that, as a veteran, he loved his country, and the soldiers who died in battle gave him the freedom to fly the flag any way he wanted.

Later in the morning, Hasselbeck even disagreed with viewers who wrote in on Facebook that “God is above everything.â€

Well that explains why I have been seeing churches suddenly flying the Christian flag above the American one.

Nothing makes me quite as stabby as people who fail to understand that separation of church and state is not only one of the bigger founding principles but protects these people's children from having other regions forced upon them (and their's upon mine, but they wouldn't hear that part as a good thing). The assertion that this is a Christian nation makes me deaf to anything further from a person's mouth. It's a self preservation mechanism.

ETA: Is it just me or are all the extremists starting to peck at each other? I sure hope so. In fighting is the only thing that will bring the moderates out of hiding.

Archived