IGNORED

Ben Graduating CC and Becoming a Pastor

BrownieMomma

So I've caught snippets here and there that Ben will soon be graduating community college and then he's going to pursue being a pastor.

My experience with Southern Baptist pastors and Catholic priests is that they are well-educated, a bachelor's degree plus seminary. Obviously this does not apply to IFB, does anyone know exactly what sort of church environment Ben was raised?

Does he seriously think that an AA is enough?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe you don't need a bachleor's if you have a degree from Duggar U? His pregnant wife will probably open more doors for him than a degree from Harvard Seminary (not that he would ever go there, as it's way too liberal and hippy, I'm sure).

Ben is not well spoken or charismatic at all. I was really crossing my fingers that, after completing his associates he would apply to and (hopefully) be accepted into UofArk and transfer there to complete a bachelor's degree in a field that he can be successful in after the fame. Like this sounds like a joke, but ive heard that jobs in the poultry industry can be lucrative, and they have a poultry science degree. Isnt the Grandma Duggar property really close to there?

With the baby on the way, if he does get a bachelor's it wont be for years :angry-banghead:. I just wish that he and Jessa could see how ephemeral and fleeting this fame thing can be... Then again texpatriategames is right, they'll come for Bin, but stay for Jessa. Theyre the Kardashians of their world, and what young fundie woman wouldnt want to spend their Sunday amongst the sexiest Godliest Duggar of all time?

*before anyone thinks im caling Jessa sexy, its from the People rag article when she and Ben first got married

Ben will pursue being a 'pastor' like Jill pursued being a 'midwife'. It'll be a poorly-educated, totally half-assed effort that will be portrayed as a genuine career choice, when in actual fact he'll be living off TLC like the rest of them.

He must think we were born yesterday :lol:

Saying "I want to be a Pastor" sounds so much better than "I know I married a Duggar and I'm too young and don't have a future and I'll be on JB's dole until the money runs out."

I believe Ben was raised Calvinist. That seems to go along with his dour hellfire and brimstone posts and the grim doodles on the bedroom chalk board. Who puts a crown of thorns on the message board in their bedroom? I suppose it is matter of what you are familiar with. I had a Muslim friend comment on the crucifix in my bedroom the other day, but I am so used to it I forgot it might look grim to others.

The pastors/ministers I have known personally have gone to divinity school or seminary if priests. I agree intensive academics are involved regardless of which form of mainline (non-Gothard-cult) Christianity an individual follows.

So far Ben has not shown much aptitude for public speaking. I think he would struggle in even a high school level public speaking course, certainly in a college level class. Some of that can be learned with coaches etc.... but Ben hasn't put that kind of work in yet.

I think Ben could be pretty grim once the first flush of the honeymoon period wears off. Jessa is smart enough to manipulate Ben, but I doubt that will be enough to build a happy marriage long term.

What is interesting about Jessa and Ben is that she is the purported "outspoken, can do, organized, unemotional, independent" Duggar, yet she's the one who thus far has set her adult life up to be the most dependent on her daddy. Not too bright...unless she's acting.

My father never had his bachelors degree, but he was able to go to seminary and be a pastor for a mainstream baptist organization.

He did have some university and if you spend any amount of time with him you can tell he's quite intellegent. Unlike the derpface that graces our screens once a week.

When has a lack of necessary skills ever stopped a Duggar from becoming a self proclaimed expert in anything?

There are tons of fundies who work in various "ministry" fields with no real skills, training or education. Though even then...it is hard to see Ben in a field where he has to speak in front of crowds. he stumbles over words and just doesn't have "it."

Maybe he could be a youth pastor or something?

When has a lack of necessary skills ever stopped a Duggar from becoming a self proclaimed expert in anything?

There are tons of fundies who work in various "ministry" fields with no real skills, training or education. Though even then...it is hard to see Ben in a field where he has to speak in front of crowds. he stumbles over words and just doesn't have "it."

Maybe he could be a youth pastor or something?

My dad was not the best conversationalist and stumbled expressing himself, but won many public speaking contests. So don't rule out Ben as a preacher with planned sermons. He didn't stumble over his wedding vows in front of a crowd, so there is hope. Content of his sermons may be out there... don't want to even think about it...

Maybe Ben thinks he will luck out like Josh did. In no way is Josh qualified to be an executive director of a pac yet Duggar fame got him there.

Ben probably is counting on invitations to speak and appear based on his Duggar fame. That's all I can imagine. I guess if he trots out Jessa and a cute baby on her hip, people will turn out no matter how poorly he speaks or what he actually says.

My dad was not the best conversationalist and stumbled expressing himself, but won many public speaking contests. So don't rule out Ben as a preacher with planned sermons. He didn't stumble over his wedding vows in front of a crowd, so there is hope. Content of his sermons may be out there... don't want to even think about it...

Plus he knows everything he says will be dissected, it would be enough for me to stumble on "hello". I think it was discussed that he had some speech difficulties as a child. I had difficulty with speech as a child and couldn't say the word aluminum until I was about 12. When I am with people I feel very comfortable with I have no trouble with my speech, with others I'm not comfortable with I stutter and have trouble putting sentences together.

From what I gather, it doesn't take much to be a preacher in the IFB, other than a desire to be one and being a man. Ben has both of those characteristics and he has Duggar fame to capitalize on. Assuming Ben was serious about this, the TV show could be really helpful in advertising his church since there are plenty of leghumpers in Arkansas who would love to go to church where a Duggar would be "first lady."

One huge issue I have with the fundie world is the arrested development it creates. These young adult fundies don't realize how immature they seem because they have reached the highest level of development that is acceptable in their world.

I knew a bunch of guys growing up who went through an "I want to be a youth pastor" phase. Then they had the "I want to be a history teacher" phase. Maybe they got injured during a high school football game and had to see a physical therapist thus resulting in "I want to be a pt" phase.

But when you're fundie, and you've got babies running amok when you're 20, you don't have time for phases. I hope Ben's parents are able/willing to provide financial support for Ben to transfer to Fayetteville. He could even study religion or communications. That way, even if the pastor thing is a phase or he just sucks at it, he could at least have a bachelor's degree to fall back on so he could get a generic office job.

Ben is not well spoken or charismatic at all. I was really crossing my fingers that, after completing his associates he would apply to and (hopefully) be accepted into UofArk and transfer there to complete a bachelor's degree in a field that he can be successful in after the fame. Like this sounds like a joke, but ive heard that jobs in the poultry industry can be lucrative, and they have a poultry science degree. Isnt the Grandma Duggar property really close to there?

With the baby on the way, if he does get a bachelor's it wont be for years :angry-banghead:. I just wish that he and Jessa could see how ephemeral and fleeting this fame thing can be... Then again texpatriategames is right, they'll come for Bin, but stay for Jessa. Theyre the Kardashians of their world, and what young fundie woman wouldnt want to spend their Sunday amongst the sexiest Godliest Duggar of all time?

*before anyone thinks im caling Jessa sexy, its from the People rag article when she and Ben first got married

This would make a great tv show/ book series. Young women flock to the newly open church of a former reality star and her young husband (I say former because the reality show ends right before she announces her pregnancy but everyone sees how incompetent and unreasonable her sister was during her birthing experience) The husband is a terrible speaker but the women stay for his looks. The women in the front row are the most scandalous with their short skirts, low cut blouses and push up bras. The former reality star feels insecure becauae telling her husband shes pregnant may send up into the arms of a younger clearer skin woman. Meanwhile her husband has started having eyes for her younger sister! And to top it all off her mother secretly went with ivf to end up with a 20th miracle baby and hopes of bringing back the show!

Oh the drama! :lol:

It was my understanding, discussed at length here, that Ben has finished his AA degree. There are no educational requirements to be a Independent Baptist preacher. That denomination is totally congregational-- each congregation makes their own hiring decisions.

I see per Ben's Instagram today that the teenaged babydaddy is busy laying some hiphop wisdom on us.

Shoot. Me. Now.

This would make a great tv show/ book series. Young women flock to the newly open church of a former reality star and her young husband (I say former because the reality show ends right before she announces her pregnancy but everyone sees how incompetent and unreasonable her sister was during her birthing experience) The husband is a terrible speaker but the women stay for his looks. The women in the front row are the most scandalous with their short skirts, low cut blouses and push up bras. The former reality star feels insecure becauae telling her husband shes pregnant may send up into the arms of a younger clearer skin woman. Meanwhile her husband has started having eyes for her younger sister! And to top it all off her mother secretly went with ivf to end up with a 20th miracle baby and hopes of bringing back the show!

Oh the drama! :lol:

Please tell me that's the next season synopsis of Kid Farm. I would watch that so hard.

It was my understanding, discussed at length here, that Ben has finished his AA degree. There are no educational requirements to be a Independent Baptist preacher. That denomination is totally congregational-- each congregation makes their own hiring decisions.

I see per Ben's Instagram today that the teenaged babydaddy is busy laying some hiphop wisdom on us.

Shoot. Me. Now.

Didn't the PP up and decide to open a church and that was that? He didn't even finish his schooling. He dropped out over some disagreement and went and started his own mall church.

Technically Ben could do the same thing. I know of several churches that literally started in someone's living room. Not that I see Jessa wanting to host church every Sunday (which usually includes serving refreshments after), but Ben could invite people into their home every Sunday for Sunday School and a short service and that would be the beginning of his "church". Where it goes from there, who knows.....

Please tell me that's the next season synopsis of Kid Farm. I would watch that so hard.

Never watched it. If only we had a free write section lol

Long time lurker first time poster.

I didn't realize this until just recently but I live one town over from the IBLP headquarters and literally pass it everyday on my way to college. My friends and I went exploring around there once and got told to leave, but thats another story in and of itself. I went to a religious grade school and there was a fundie-lite family that attended it, their daughter who is a year younger than I am recently got married and more than likely already expecting. :think: Theres been numerous reports of abuse there and of some girls escaping. All of its reviews on yelp say its a cult.

Does anyone know for sure if the duggars are involved with it? I know the bates are.

Didn't the PP up and decide to open a church and that was that? He didn't even finish his schooling. He dropped out over some disagreement and went and started his own mall church.

Technically Ben could do the same thing. I know of several churches that literally started in someone's living room. Not that I see Jessa wanting to host church every Sunday (which usually includes serving refreshments after), but Ben could invite people into their home every Sunday for Sunday School and a short service and that would be the beginning of his "church". Where it goes from there, who knows.....

According to PP, you have to get sent out by another church to be able to start your own. But you don't need any college or other formal education. I think this practise is quite common among the IFB churches.

So Ben would have to find another church which would be willing to give him their blessing to start his own church. But, I don't think he's gonna do that. You can say a lot about PP, but he isn't lazy and he's unfortunately completely obsessed with his cause, so he will fight for it no matter what it takes. Starting your own church, and acquiring so many members that you can actually live from it, is a very hard and time consuming thing to do. Even if it would be easier for the Seewalds, since they are already well known, I just can't imagine that they would be willing to put that much effort and work in.

I live across the street from a nondenominational church that I used to attend (operative words being used to) and none of the pastors that are on staff have in any capacity 'formal' training. They all have college degrees yes, but seminary studies or anything in that type of official capacity? Nope. It's extremely common even in mainstream Christian branches, especially in self started churches. I personally feel like there should be a requirement for a pastor to have completed some type of religious study... any is better than none.

Like this sounds like a joke, but ive heard that jobs in the poultry industry can be lucrative, and they have a poultry science degree. Isnt the Grandma Duggar property really close to there?

The poultry industry is controversial enough as it is. Don't give them ideas!

Actually both Ben and Derrick want to go to the seminary and become pastors. I wonder who will pay for all that.

The one that pays for about every Duggar bill: TLC

Archived