IGNORED

Ben Graduating CC and Becoming a Pastor

BrownieMomma

Could he be doing something like pulpit supply where he fills in for a pastor that's not there? I know of men who have done that while going to college, before completing a bachelor's degree.

My denomination (not IFB) requires pulpit supply to be just as credentialed as full time pastors (masters or doctorate from an accredited university, plus seminary school.) The only exception would be seminary students going through their internship.

A former coworker told me he was a pastor at an IFB church. He said the way it worked was, the congregation decided they wanted him to be the pastor, so they made him the pastor.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why in the everloving fuck would anyone seeking spiritual guidance want Ben as their pastor? He's not wise. He's not educated. He's not well-spoken or well- informed. He has no life experience. All he's done (to paraphrase Michael K) is bareback bone a baby into Jessa Duggar. :pull-hair:

I couldn't find it anywhere else, but when did Derick say he wanted to be a pastor? I thought the one contention between him and J'Muffin was that he loved his job and wanted to stay with Walmart and she wanted him to work for Dim Bulb...

Ben must be a complete narcissist to think he's capable of being anybody's spiritual leader. Either that or he just does what his narcissistic wife tells him to.

Ben must be a complete narcissist to think he's capable of being anybody's spiritual leader. Either that or he just does what his narcissistic wife tells him to.

he is in his glory getting laid and marring his lust object. he is on tv and it has all gone to his head.

I couldn't find it anywhere else, but when did Derick say he wanted to be a pastor? I thought the one contention between him and J'Muffin was that he loved his job and wanted to stay with Walmart and she wanted him to work for Dim Bulb...

well you can look it up on their blog if you want, apparently Derrick has hopes of becoming a pastor some day and "make a difference overseas" whatever that means. he expressed it multiple times plus JB always says how important it is for his daughters to find a man with ministry mindset. not to mention that Joseph is apparently going in the same direction (why do they never mention their kids majors and study program?). also I remember at some point Justin said he wants to be a missionary. how many pastors will this family end up having? I wont be suprized if even Josiah decides to go there

Ben will do a Josh Duggar. Speaking out against Catholics, Gays, and abortion. I hope he does get a job like this then post shit to his social media accounts so fans can get pissed off.

Thing is, I am convinced that Ben and Jessa think that the reality show money will keep rolling in. They never grew up watching mainstream TV and have no idea about the life-cycle of even very popular shows. JB will float them all and house them all but even if they have some money, they won't always have the fame and adoration that clearly feeds them.

I'm pretty sure that Ben has been exposed to mainstream TV. I think Ben thinks he's going to be Joel Olsteen 2.0

I just don't get the vibe that Ben has a God given calling to become a minister. He isn't very articulated at his age especially talking about God. Makes me wonder was he just going for maybe general AA degree to continue to 4yr college or was he sidetracked when meeting Jessa and possibly changed coarse of study to bump his chances up a bit in the Duggar household?

I just don't get the vibe that Ben has a God given calling to become a minister. He isn't very articulated at his age especially talking about God. Makes me wonder was he just going for maybe general AA degree to continue to 4yr college or was he sidetracked when meeting Jessa and possibly changed coarse of study to bump his chances up a bit in the Duggar household?

I think he was going for his general studying before moving on to a 4 yr college. Then Jessa came along and that all went to hell in a handbasket.

Thing is, I am convinced that Ben and Jessa think that the reality show money will keep rolling in. They never grew up watching mainstream TV and have no idea about the life-cycle of even very popular shows. JB will float them all and house them all but even if they have some money, they won't always have the fame and adoration that clearly feeds them.

I also think Ben and Jessa think the reality show money will keep rolling in. Jessa's pregnancy has guaranteed at least one more seasons of 19kac. The Josiah courtship also plays into that. They won't have to worry about Baby Seewald 1's first year of life. If Ben tries to launch some kind of pastor career now, he knows he will be fine financially because of the show and Boob.

The Duggar show will have to end eventually. It is a just of a question of when. There is indeed more interest these days towards Ben/Jessa and Derrick/Jill. Previous interest that was on Josh and Anna has shifted to those two couples. There is probably envy brewing inside Josh and Anna because the interest on the sisters and their husbands. When the show does end, some of the adult Duggar kids will have to readjust. Derrick and Jill will likely be the ones to have an easy time after the show ends. Derrick seems to have a good head on his shoulders regarding many things. Ben doesn't seem to be like that. As another poster said, Ben is trying to be like Joel Osteen 2.0. I don't think that will ever happen.

So I've caught snippets here and there that Ben will soon be graduating community college and then he's going to pursue being a pastor.

My experience with Southern Baptist pastors and Catholic priests is that they are well-educated, a bachelor's degree plus seminary. Obviously this does not apply to IFB, does anyone know exactly what sort of church environment Ben was raised?

Does he seriously think that an AA is enough?

Maybe he's going to be a lay minister?

Ben comes off as being a 19 year old greenhorn who talks. in short. two word. uh. sentences. y'all.

I've read his handwritten stuff on his Facebook page and I'm sure he is a sincere good hearted guy, but not the sharpest tool in the shed. I think Josh has more verbal ability (or would you call that "being an obnoxious ham?").

Maybe Ben can become a Fundie athletic trainer? He seems to be more comfortable and confident in the gym helping people with their fitness. I'd like to see Ben whip Josh into shape. Payback time.

Ben comes off as being a 19 year old greenhorn who talks. in short. two word. uh. sentences. y'all.

I've read his handwritten stuff on his Facebook page and I'm sure he is a sincere good hearted guy, but not the sharpest tool in the shed. I think Josh has more verbal ability (or would you call that "being an obnoxious ham?").

Maybe Ben can become a Fundie athletic trainer? He seems to be more comfortable and confident in the gym helping people with their fitness. I'd like to see Ben whip Josh into shape. Payback time.

There is a market for this! He should totally do it.

tW21Z0y.jpg

God's Gym in Oakland, California. Photo courtesy of panoramio user Avagara (https://static.panoramio.com.storage.go ... 102886.jpg)

We care :
  • about your goals
  • about your success
  • about assisting you
  • about a friendly atmosphere
  • about your health
  • about your self esteem
  • about your improvement
  • and finally about you

I would totally love to see Ben as a trainer! He's sensitive and has that "dumb jock" awkward way of talking. Actually I think he'd be perfect doing that, and very popular.

Ben would make a good trainer. Only problem I see: he could only work in an all-male gym. In a regular one, he would be defrauded by all these women who wear tight pants and and revealing tops. Jessa would never approve. :penguin-no:

Ben would make a good trainer. Only problem I see: he could only work in an all-male gym. In a regular one, he would be defrauded by all these women who wear tight pants and and revealing tops. Jessa would never approve. :penguin-no:

I feel like there may be a market for that among young fundie men who want to get fit but not around ladies in -le gasp- sports bras and tank tops. Though the only gender-segregated gyms I've heard about were all-women's gyms, or all-women/all-men gyms in very conservative Muslim countries. Or maybe if Ben's an outdoorsy sort of guy (someone needs to give him a lifetime supply of Zyrtec, though, look at those allergy eyes on him), he could lead all-male Christian retreats in the forest where they talk about their feelings and learn about Jesus by hanging around in the woods. He reminds me a lot of some of the male counselors at the summer camp I went to, except they were Jewish and more sensible -- actually, that might be an even better path for him than doing Manly Romps 2.0 Now With A Lesser Tool In Charge. Ben is very athletic, seems like a personable and easy-going guy, and seems like he's good at relating to kids (partially because he kind of still is one, but I digress); he'd do very well doing, say, administrative and pedagogical stuff for the kid activities at Big Sandy. It'd be perfect from a Gothardite standpoint: he for the most part stays under JB's thumb, stays in the cult, and if he works with kids, he has a pretty much captive audience for his uninformed preaching.

Really, I should just become Ben's career counselor at this point.

I feel like there may be a market for that among young fundie men who want to get fit but not around ladies in -le gasp- sports bras and tank tops. Though the only gender-segregated gyms I've heard about were all-women's gyms, or all-women/all-men gyms in very conservative Muslim countries. Or maybe if Ben's an outdoorsy sort of guy (someone needs to give him a lifetime supply of Zyrtec, though, look at those allergy eyes on him), he could lead all-male Christian retreats in the forest where they talk about their feelings and learn about Jesus by hanging around in the woods. He reminds me a lot of some of the male counselors at the summer camp I went to, except they were Jewish and more sensible -- actually, that might be an even better path for him than doing Manly Romps 2.0 Now With A Lesser Tool In Charge. Ben is very athletic, seems like a personable and easy-going guy, and seems like he's good at relating to kids (partially because he kind of still is one, but I digress); he'd do very well doing, say, administrative and pedagogical stuff for the kid activities at Big Sandy. It'd be perfect from a Gothardite standpoint: he for the most part stays under JB's thumb, stays in the cult, and if he works with kids, he has a pretty much captive audience for his uninformed preaching.

Really, I should just become Ben's career counselor at this point.

I don't know if he gets a big enough allowance for this.

Hmmm, if the interest is moving away from Josh and towards the Duggar sisters, I wonder if FRC Action might hire Ben to be the next new face of faith and politics.

Ben and Jessa have the looks and the willingness to speak up about what they believe. Josh is looking old and fat while Ben has that mainstream frat-boy look.

Ben gunning for Josh's job. Amusing thought.

Don't they count their show as a ministry? So I'm guessing anytime Ben spouts off including social media he is ministering to the masses. And w the fame he is gaining thru the show he will definitely get paid for guest spots at churches and events. I could also see Ben & Derick "writing" their own book about being husbands or marrying into the Duggars...

Remember this is the Duggars: The play fast and loose with qualifications and definitions.

Might be even worse in the end .... :stir-pot:

Ben's self-important, "I'm going to save the world by posting online videos talking about the Bible. God made me special," stuff reminds me of something I would have done back when I was about college freshman age and had zero concept of how the world operates. Lots of people are totes going to be novelists, pastors, actresses, or some other job that is totally not in demand at that age. It would be cute if he weren't a married father-to-be.

Ben's self-important, "I'm going to save the world by posting online videos talking about the Bible. God made me special," stuff reminds me of something I would have done back when I was about college freshman age and had zero concept of how the world operates. Lots of people are totes going to be novelists, pastors, actresses, or some other job that is totally not in demand at that age. It would be cute if he weren't a married father-to-be.

Well, he is college freshman age.

I'm with you, though. Some of the stuff I posted on the internet when I was 19 is pretty damn cringe-worthy now. I think Ben is largely behaving in an age-appropriate manner; the problem is he's about to have far more responsibility than a kid that age should have.

That being said, by the time I was 16 or 17 I realised that my dream of being a novelist was not a realistic employment goal, and a better one would be to write in my free time and, if I'm very very lucky, one day I'll be able to do it full-time. It's not impossible for a pastor to have a day job during the week, is it? I mean, I know they need time to write sermons, make hospital visits, attend/lead funerals, meet with engaged couples, etc., but something (like personal training) with flexible hours wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, would it?

The problem with Benessa's current employment situation isn't that they're unemployed, IMO, but that they have no employment security. When TLC cancels the show, they'll be out of a job, with no skills to help either of them find another. However, that also makes this the perfect time for Ben to get some kind of training, whether that be going to seminary, getting a degree, doing an apprenticeship, something to give him a good chance at a career. I have no idea how much they're getting paid per episode/how that shakes out per year, but I would guess that, if they're being frugal (and, if they're not paying any rent, that's pretty damn easy), they should be able to save/invest well enough to support them should the show get cancelled while Ben is at university or recently graduated and looking for work.

It's not the fact that Ben wants to be a pastor that irks me, personally, so much as the way he's going about doing it. It seems so half-arsed, like a kid scribbling away "when inspiration strikes" and hoping to be the next JK Rowling, as though he's doing it because it sounds cool rather than out of genuine devotion. If he were attending seminary, involved in a local church, etc., I'd be more inclined to view it as a plausible career path.

I think everyone says sanctimonious, blowhardy, bone headed things at 19, but had people in their lives that said STFU. Benessa not only do I think don't have this, but have people applauding them for their comments.

Someone in his life needs to tell Ben, hey girl you need to check yourself.

Archived