IGNORED

Jessa Duggar-Seewald Is Pregnant - Part 2

Coconut Flan

I can't decide which is worse...McKarty or Nayvie. I'm leaning towards McKarty because it could so easily be made into McFarty...

My vote's for McKarty, because of the cultural appropriation element.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive me here, but how is McKarty cultural appropriation? Because it's Irish? Not snarking, genuinely want to know.

This name would also work for M4!

This name would also work for M4!

Oh Jeebus, don't give them any ideas, Fascinated! This is exactly the sort of name they'd go for... :?

I googled searched "McKarty" :ew: and the first hit was that woman's blog. This is the advanced thinking that went into each of the names.

Okay so Devan and I had a pretty difficult time picking out the name! I kind of thought we were never going to agree on one! I love unique names! My name is fairly unique and I loved never having to share a name with someone else in my school or work. Devan, on the other hand, likes unique but not too unique of a name.

At first we both liked (Devan actually loved) the name Taylee.. Then I did a little research and decided there are quite a few Taylee's out there and that it was too common of a name. So it was a no for the name Taylee.

Then I thought of the name McKarty.. Which I still absolutely LOVE this name, but sadly Devan literally HATED it! I tired and tried to talk him into it! Then I figured I couldn't name her something that he really didn't like, so out went the name McKarty.

Then we tried to combined both of our favorite names.. McKarty and Taylee and came up with Maylee. We both liked it but wasn't in love with the name.. So we kept thinking..

I know of a little girl named Nayvie and love the name! Devan actually liked it too! So for a minute we thought about naming her that but then decided it just wasn't suppose to be her name!

Then one day Devan came home from work and said he was drove past a sign that said "LAKIN" and asked what I thought about it. I actually LOVED the name! We both Loved it! YAY! I decided to change up the spelling a little bit to make it more of a girly name and that is how we came up with

LAKYNN!

They drove past a sign and decided that should be their daughter's name. Thank God they didn't pass by a Benihana or a Quik Stop, or who knows what that little girl would be saddled with?

ETA: Oh Good Lord, look at this complete list.

Taylee

McKarty

Nayvie

Maylee

Kamree

Nykee

Taislee

Taigley

Tenley

McKamey

McKartnee

Tayvie

We should join cyber hands and pray together that J and A do not see this list! There are several scary options that might fit their requirements! :pray: :pray: :pray:

We should join cyber hands and pray together that J and A do not see this list! There are several scary options that might fit their requirements! :pray: :pray: :pray:

She has an older son whose name is Titan. Which, just... :?

My name is McKinli. I am married to my AMAZING husband, Devan. We were married on December 3rd, 2010. He not only made the choice to marry me but take on my adorable two year old son, Titan

The whole fam damnily has terrible, terrible names.

Oh Jeebus, don't give them any ideas, Fascinated! This is exactly the sort of name they'd go for... :?

I googled searched "McKarty" :ew: and the first hit was that woman's blog. This is the advanced thinking that went into each of the names.

They drove past a sign and decided that should be their daughter's name. Thank God they didn't pass by a Benihana or a Quik Stop, or who knows what that little girl would be saddled with?

Oh my dog. So many basic white girl names.

The mom's name is McKinli or something stupid. I swear she had kids just so she could have something to dress up, take pictures of and blog about in her otherwise unremarkable life. That's the type of woman we're dealing with here, people.

Well, Tenley is actually a real name. Remember the U.S. figure skater Tenley Albright?

What a craptastic list of tryndeigh pageant names! McKynlee, Kamree, Kambrie, Teighlee, Tylie, and Tynlee are already popular in pageant circles.

McKinli also designs horrendous children's clothing.

983811_867946346551351_2893175159173897966_n.jpg

1555409_867948859884433_4402608020722000812_n.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm dying at that list.

I haven't looked at her blog too much because it makes me :roll: so hard. I appreciate FJ's analysis!

Forgive me here, but how is McKarty cultural appropriation? Because it's Irish? Not snarking, genuinely want to know.

The short version is this: Mc is a Scottish Gaelic (I think Irish, too, but more common in Scottish Gaelic, IIRC) prefix, used in patronymics for sons. The female equivalent is Nic. So giving your daughter a name starting with Mc is taking something that has meaning in Gaelic culture and using it for another nd in 99.99% of cases I'd guess the parents have no idea what Mc means, they just think it sounds cute. I mean, it's nowhere near the tipis-and-feather-headdresses level, but it makes more than a few Scots cringe.

The longer version is a bit more complex than that, and it's perhaps too late at night for me to try but I'll give it a go anyway. It involves looking at it within the wider context that has roots stretching back centuries. Even going back to the Middle Ages, England, in general, kind of looked down on its smaller northern neighbour. After the 1745 Jacobite rising, which was largely led by Highlanders, the British government outlawed a lot of Scottish Gaelic culture, including efforts to wipe out their language. Likewise, the Scots-speakers in the Lowlands (Scots is a Germanic language descended from Middle English), subject to mockery for their language, began to anglicise their speech. To this day, we live in a country where people down south say that we shouldn't have Scottish accents on radio because we're "only" 8% of the population, where they put subtitles on TV programmes set in Glasgow, and where I didn't even realise that my dad wasn't just being daft when he used words that aren't standard English until I read Robert Burns when I was 18 (turns out they were Scots words). Only 50 000 people, less than 1% of the population, speak Gaelic in Scotland now.

So there's a long history of Scots - particularly our languages - being marginalised within UK culture. But there's also the "shortbread tin" version of Scotland, the romanticised vision of tartan-clad, whisky-gulping Highlanders, as seen on Outlander (which Mr Alba says is so offensive he won't be in the same room as me when I watch it, whereas I alternate between admiring the story itself and wishing the writers would crack open a fucking book). And this is where Americans/Canadians calling their daughters McSomething comes in. If they think at all of the culture the name comes from, it tends to be this romantic vision of Highlanders and pristine lochs and greatkilts, not Irn Bru and high education standards and three verdicts in a court of law*. And they're basically taking names which have meaning, in a language whose speakers are dwindling due to efforts to destroy the culture, and using them because they think it's cute.

*If they can't prove you did do it, and they can't prove you didn't, you get found Not Proven.

You gotta love McKartnee though. Named after Pawll? Do they even know the Beatles though? FYI, I will Not be passing on this list to our two pregnant daughters-in-law.

Off Topic: we were face timing with our son and d-i-l last night and I said 'how is Bobby Martin?' (names my d-I-l and I were joking about them naming their new son.). My son didn't get it and said 'is that a Duggar?' I thought it was pretty funny. Oh dear.

Are these her daughters?

Laikynn's mommy is also a body builder:

Kay, now I don't feel bad that her stomach was flatter at the start of her second trimester than mine is, and I've never been pregnant :P

No, those are models for her line. There are a metric butt load of photographs of her and her daughter in matching clothing on the site, though.

Thank you, alba, for that explanation. That makes a lot of sense and I agree with you.

019.JPG

ETA: She has a newer, active blog at heymcki.com ( :? )

When I do Laikynn's hair in the morning I try to come up with fun distractions to keep her entertained long enough to hold still while I curl her hair. She is such a busy girl that most day this is a pretty hard task. She is grabbing and touching EVERYTHING. I warn her almost every day not to touch the curling iron or straightener but it still makes me nervous even having it within reach of her. Then I came across this genius product, The Hot Iron Holster. Not only does it keep my bathroom looking clean and organized but it keeps the hot curling irons away from little fingers!

How about, you know, not giving a flying about a four year old's hair being curled every day. Jeebus.

No, those are models for her line. There are a metric butt load of photographs of her and her daughter in matching clothing on the site, though.

Thank you, alba, for that explanation. That makes a lot of sense and I agree with you.

019.JPG

ETA: She has a newer, active blog at heymcki.com ( :? )

How about, you know, not giving a flying about a four year old's hair being curled every day. Jeebus.

Just...wow.

Holy crap those are awful. I think I would consider it child abuse to force your kid into something that terrible :lol:

Holy crap those are awful. I think I would consider it child abuse to force your kid into something that terrible :lol:

I suspect at least two of those models agree with you. Colour them unimpressed.

Has anybody pointed out she's only 23 yet? OMG.

Wow, she must have been young when she had her first.

Wow, she must have been young when she had her first.

17 -- there's a blog post about it :roll: apparently she married Kid 1's dad in August 2009 and then in some magical legal whirlwind divorced and was married to her current husband in December 2010. In my state that would TOTALLY not be possible, but, y'know, Utah :clap: First husband was allegedly abusive, not sure if that affects the timeline for a quickie divorce?

Archived