IGNORED

The Willis Clan is coming to TLC May 5th

homeschoolmomma1

I always thought unschooling was more along the lines of just learning from life itself, or the kids picking what to learn.

Yeah, it's along the line of several male high school dropouts I know, too many of whom are in my own family, who say they don't/didn't need education because they are smart enough to learn from "the school of life."

Next sentence is usually along the lines of how if I were Black and a woman I'd be making 100 grand a year (instead of sitting here in this dive bar)

So Toby, the father in this family that is going to be on the show, is an older child of the couple who lost their six children. Toby and Brenda's oldest two children were born at the time of the accident.

jsonline.com/entertainment/festivals/tragedy-inspires-willis-clan-two-decades-later-b99332145z1-271551211.html

The effect on Toby was profound, as I'm sure it was for all their family.

Pardon if this seems insensitive but do the parents say it was God's will or God's plan for their children to burn to death in an accident? How do people reconcile not having a "hedge of protection" when something like this happens?

...eyes the rabbit hole...

The third article listed in the OP says they do believe it was god's will.

Ah yes, so it does say that.

At a hospital news conference, Scott, a Baptist minister, told reporters that his children "were given of the Lord, and we understood they weren't ours. They were his, and we were stewards of those children. And so God took them back."

It wasn't magic thinking, Scott said. And it wasn't a roll of the dice. It was God's will.

Ah yes, so it does say that.

I wonder if that is a comfort to think that way. I guess no matter what happens to you, it is God's plan.

Does that mean we should not bother with seat belts?

At least this family has real talent....that's about the only nice thing I can say.

I wonder if that is a comfort to think that way. I guess no matter what happens to you, it is God's plan.

This is one of the last things I struggle with. I mean, one of the things these families do is have a lot of children to provide soldiers for God's army, so how is it God's will to kill 2/3 of them?

I suppose it must be easier to believe it was God's will than to believe the alternative - that God is not micromanaging everyone's life, that accidents happen.

I honestly don't have the words to adequately express my disgust with TLC.

Instead of trying to make another freakish fundie/fundie lite, uneducated mega family appear cute and endearing, how about a show focusing on completely secular, educated parents with a normal sized family and the issues they have to deal with? Talented, publically/privately/home schooled children prepping for their SATs, applying to high ranking universities. Navigating the entrance process. Financing post secondary education. Re-locating children to dorms/apartments away from home for the first time. Young adults learning to adjust to being away from their families and succeeding, growing and becoming well adjusted, productive members of society.

You know, successful families producing successful, high achieving children. I'd watch that over these nauseating, ridiculous religious infomercials any day.

Lofty goal for the network that has MULTIPLE shows exploiting little people, morbidly obese people, mentally-ill people, and mega families...

And sad to say, but no one would watch the above show because it's just real life. People ironically watch "reality" tv to escape, to say, "Well hey, I may have my quirks, but at least I'm not ______!" Watching a show that just reminds you of your everyday life stresses seems even more miserable than watching Jill and Derick's first kiss over and over again :ew:

This is one of the last things I struggle with. I mean, one of the things these families do is have a lot of children to provide soldiers for God's army, so how is it God's will to kill 2/3 of them?

I suppose it must be easier to believe it was God's will than to believe the alternative - that God is not micromanaging everyone's life, that accidents happen.

Perhaps God killed them for the money.

Man, they are eager to show off their beefcake sons, aren't they? Check out the Do Re Mi video...

At least they're talented, but as someone from Scotland it really annoys me when Americans to that fake Irish/Scottish stick (Or Scirish, as Girls Without Slingshots calls it). Urgh.

I was tearing up just reading the article, and can't possibly imagine how parents cope with a tragedy like that. If their faith helped them through it and allowed them to remain functional, I'm not going to snark on it. I do find that most who have some sort of "God's will" belief will also add that we don't fully understand God's ways and it's a big mystery.

I can understand how a tragedy like that may have fueled the older son's desire for a big family.

Not long after that, Toby sat his wife Brenda down and told her three things.

They were going to have a large family. They were going to play music. They were going to stay together.

This is making me cringe. Did Brenda have any say? I'd feel better if she'd agreed to this before they got married. "Stay together." Does that mean the adult children are trapped a la the Maxwells?

Other than that, they seem pretty fundie-light. The boys and girls are equally defrauding. I doubt they run in the Duggars' circles. Downplaying the fundiness can be dangerous, I know. They'll do well in Branson.

The accident had nothing to do with seat belts. A piece of metal flew off a truck in front of them, the van went over it, one end punctured the gas tank while the other end dragged along the highway, creating sparks. Sparks plus leaking gasoline = explosion. It was a horrific accident, an unbelievable horror unfolding in seconds out of nowhere, due to something that was out of their control. You can take normal precautions and still get hit with something like this.

• 2 years later...

I found YouTube video of multiple family members at a swing dance competition.  The first link is interviews which reveals that Jedi has a girlfriend (Lainey McDowell)

Spoiler

Jedi and Lainey

Spoiler

Jair and Jen

Spoiler

Jaeger and Jada

Spoiler

2 different group dances with multiple couples

• 1 month later...

Archived