IGNORED

The Willis Clan is coming to TLC May 5th

homeschoolmomma1

But...they already had a reality show two years ago and it was boring as hell.

What was the show called?

What was the show called?

The Willis Clan

imdb.com/title/tt2512012/

gactv.com/gac/pac_ctnt/text/0,,GAC_26058_107286,00.html

I remember the two episodes they filmed for GAC. They seem like fundie lite types. Two of the older kids compete in dance competitions.

• 2 weeks later...

Tripped down the rabbit hole

thewillisclan.com/Home.html

Jessica, 22

Jair, nickname for Jeremiah, 21

Jenny, nn for Jennifer, 20

Jet, nn for Jeanette, 18

Jack, nn for Jackson, 16 YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - nike! nsfw! defrauding! seriously! he is only 16!

Jedi, nn for Jedidiah, 15

Jazz, nn for Jasmine, 13

Julie, nn for Juliette, 11

Jamie (female), 9

Joy Anna, 8

Jaegar, 5

Jada, 4

ETA: found this nuggest - unschoolers

blog.gactv.com/blog/2013/07/11/get-a-glimpse-of-the-willis-clans-home-classroom-tonight/

“Some people call the way we home school ‘unschooling,’†says Brenda, who has a degree in education and previously taught in the public school system. “Obviously I sit down with the littlest ones and I teach them how to read, teach them their basic math. But once they can read, it’s pretty much, ‘Here’s the book – learn it.’ And of course we check in with them all the time. But we may be on the front porch, on the couch, on a blanket in the yard. We try to keep everything we do really involved in ‘real life.’

“I use flash cards a lot when I’m teaching math,†she continues. “They’re great for practice drills. Beyond teaching them the basics – to read and to count – I want my kids to know that, if they want to learn how to sky dive or how to build a machine – whatever they want to do, they can figure out how to do it. And if you start that at a very young age, they will not have that fear of learning.â€

I hope this family will be a breath of fresh air. The time is right for some new fundies to rise to the A-list.

I hope this family will be a breath of fresh air. The time is right for some new fundies to rise to the A-list.

I don't believe ANY Fundie family is a breath of fresh air. They are different ages, have different hair styles or "talents" but they all have the same deadly theology, gender stereotypes, desire to control others and political/social agendas.

Yeah!! Another fucking Fundie family for leghumpers to drool over.

I don't understand the college educated fundie parents who don't encourage their children to go the same route. Its so unfair

Tripped down the rabbit hole

thewillisclan.com/Home.html

Jessica, 22

Jair, nickname for Jeremiah, 21

Jenny, nn for Jennifer, 20

Jet, nn for Jeanette, 18

Jack, nn for Jackson, 16 YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - nike! nsfw! defrauding! seriously! he is only 16!

Jedi, nn for Jedidiah, 15

Jazz, nn for Jasmine, 13

Julie, nn for Juliette, 11

Jamie (female), 9

Joy Anna, 8

Jaegar, 5

Jada, 4

ETA: found this nuggest - unschoolers

blog.gactv.com/blog/2013/07/11/get-a-glimpse-of-the-willis-clans-home-classroom-tonight/

This is the laziest parenting and educational method there is. I know a family that's doing this, and they're proud of it. Their kids? I have to say it bluntly. The kids are idiots. They weren't taught how to study and learn stuff. Teaching a kid some basic reading and how to do the times table purely by rote memory isn't going to do a kid any good. Flash cards aren't meant to replace teaching a kid that 3x2 is the same as 3+3 or 2+2+2.

That family I know. I went to school withe the parents, and it didn't surprise me they decided to go the no-schooling route. None of the kids are competent in much. None of the kids challenge themselves because they don't know how. I don't think those kids will even be qualified to work at a fast food place. There are 4 more kids who won't know anything by the time they start having babies.

Unschooling should be illegal. Entirely illegal.

I always thought unschooling was more along the lines of just learning from life itself, or the kids picking what to learn.

This is the laziest parenting and educational method there is. I know a family that's doing this, and they're proud of it. Their kids? I have to say it bluntly. The kids are idiots. They weren't taught how to study and learn stuff. Teaching a kid some basic reading and how to do the times table purely by rote memory isn't going to do a kid any good. Flash cards aren't meant to replace teaching a kid that 3x2 is the same as 3+3 or 2+2+2.

That family I know. I went to school withe the parents, and it didn't surprise me they decided to go the no-schooling route. None of the kids are competent in much. None of the kids challenge themselves because they don't know how. I don't think those kids will even be qualified to work at a fast food place. There are 4 more kids who won't know anything by the time they start having babies.

Unschooling should be illegal. Entirely illegal.

As a former homeschooler, I have to agree. I looked long and hard at it but c'mon. She is only teaching something very basic and that's basically the end of their education. You can't just up and say one day that you want to understand electrical engineering and bone up that afternoon at the library.

I feel it is wise to yes, stuff their heads with some knowledge. The favorite saying was that education was not filling a bucket but lighting a fire, however honestly I feel homeschooling does little to light a fire, and there is a general body of knowledge that all Americans should have.

These people studied and pursued what was important to them - dance and music and all that. Maybe they will luck out like the Duggars and make a very nice living despite very little education.

This family sort of reminds me of a more attractive and more talented version of the Rodrigues. Too bad for Jill... I'm sure there isn't room for 2 musical fundie families on TLC. :?

I honestly don't have the words to adequately express my disgust with TLC.

Instead of trying to make another freakish fundie/fundie lite, uneducated mega family appear cute and endearing, how about a show focusing on completely secular, educated parents with a normal sized family and the issues they have to deal with? Talented, publically/privately/home schooled children prepping for their SATs, applying to high ranking universities. Navigating the entrance process. Financing post secondary education. Re-locating children to dorms/apartments away from home for the first time. Young adults learning to adjust to being away from their families and succeeding, growing and becoming well adjusted, productive members of society.

You know, successful families producing successful, high achieving children. I'd watch that over these nauseating, ridiculous religious infomercials any day.

I don't believe ANY Fundie family is a breath of fresh air. They are different ages, have different hair styles or "talents" but they all have the same deadly theology, gender stereotypes, desire to control others and political/social agendas.

Yeah!! Another fucking Fundie family for leghumpers to drool over.

:roll: Unbind your britches, and enjoy the snark.

I'm ready for the Duggars to get knocked down a peg or two when a new photogenic family starts making the cover of People mag. I'm a happy spectator of the televised Fundie Game of Thrones. :wink-kitty:

:roll: Unbind your britches, and enjoy the snark.

I'm ready for the Duggars to get knocked down a peg or two when a new photogenic family starts making the cover of People mag. I'm a happy spectator of the televised Fundie Game of Thrones. :wink-kitty:

yes to the bolded. At least on the commercials, these girls had skirts above the knees and were unapologetic about it.

I've actually heard about this family before! I read a follow up article about them last fall. They're second gen large family, and yeah, they do sound fundie-lite. Their parents tragically lost 6 of their 9 children in a van accident (they managed to save themselves though). I'm interested in watching at least the first episode.

Here's about the family that'll be on TLC:

wgntv.com/2014/11/06/tragedy-to-triumph-the-willis-family-20-years-after-the-van-crash-that-claimed-6-of-their-9-children/

Van accident articles:

articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-11-09/news/9411160382_1_elizabeth-willis-peter-willis-minivan

articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-11-10/news/9411100233_1_van-wreck-duane-scott-willis-gas-tank

jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/couple-reflect-on-love-and-loss-19-years-after-crash-killed-6-children-b9977784z1-220062931.html

I honestly don't have the words to adequately express my disgust with TLC.

Instead of trying to make another freakish fundie/fundie lite, uneducated mega family appear cute and endearing, how about a show focusing on completely secular, educated parents with a normal sized family and the issues they have to deal with? Talented, publically/privately/home schooled children prepping for their SATs, applying to high ranking universities. Navigating the entrance process. Financing post secondary education. Re-locating children to dorms/apartments away from home for the first time. Young adults learning to adjust to being away from their families and succeeding, growing and becoming well adjusted, productive members of society.

You know, successful families producing successful, high achieving children. I'd watch that over these nauseating, ridiculous religious infomercials any day.

because freak shows sell, while the mundane does not

I've actually heard about this family before! I read a follow up article about them last fall. They're second gen large family, and yeah, they do sound fundie-lite. Their parents tragically lost 6 of their 9 children in a van accident (they managed to save themselves though). I'm interested in watching at least the first episode.

Here's about the family that'll be on TLC:

wgntv.com/2014/11/06/tragedy-to-triumph-the-willis-family-20-years-after-the-van-crash-that-claimed-6-of-their-9-children/

Van accident articles:

articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-11-09/news/9411160382_1_elizabeth-willis-peter-willis-minivan

articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-11-10/news/9411100233_1_van-wreck-duane-scott-willis-gas-tank

jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/couple-reflect-on-love-and-loss-19-years-after-crash-killed-6-children-b9977784z1-220062931.html

So Toby, the father in this family that is going to be on the show, is an older child of the couple who lost their six children. Toby and Brenda's oldest two children were born at the time of the accident.

jsonline.com/entertainment/festivals/tragedy-inspires-willis-clan-two-decades-later-b99332145z1-271551211.html

The effect on Toby was profound, as I'm sure it was for all their family.

In early November of 1994, their uncle, 13-year-old Ben Willis, wrote his first piece of music. He showed it to his older brother Toby — Jessica and Jeremiah's father.

On Nov. 8 of that year, Ben piled into the family minivan with his parents and five of his siblings. They were headed to a birthday party in Watertown. The van ran over a bracket on I-94 south of W. Layton Ave. The bracket punctured the gas tank, set off a spray of sparks and caused the van to erupt in flames. Ben survived the night but died the next day.

Not long after that, Toby sat his wife Brenda down and told her three things.

They were going to have a large family. They were going to play music. They were going to stay together.

Pardon if this seems insensitive but do the parents say it was God's will or God's plan for their children to burn to death in an accident? How do people reconcile not having a "hedge of protection" when something like this happens?

...eyes the rabbit hole...

I remember reading about this family after the were on AGT. I'm not sure if I remember correctly but the family got over 100 million dollars from the lawsuit because of the deaths and Brenda said the money(not sure how much the "willis clan" got) was one of the factors in having a large family and being able to do what they want full time.

I 100% question why they want a show so badly if they have plenty of money? My guess is it is a "ministry" like the Duggars. When we met the Duggars and Bates they were making ends met but not millionaires. The shows have them better lifestyles. If The Willis have everything they need materially, this show will be all about hidden religious references and their devotion to their lifestyle.

I remember reading about this family after the were on AGT. I'm not sure if I remember correctly but the family got over 100 million dollars from the lawsuit because of the deaths and Brenda said the money(not sure how much the "willis clan" got) was one of the factors in having a large family and being able to do what they want full time.

I 100% question why they want a show so badly if they have plenty of money? My guess is it is a "ministry" like the Duggars. When we met the Duggars and Bates they were making ends met but not millionaires. The shows have them better lifestyles. If The Willis have everything they need materially, this show will be all about hidden religious references and their devotion to their lifestyle.

I read that Scott and Janet were awarded $100 million settlement. Awarded does not always mean received. That same article then said there was a 2 seater BMW convertible in the drive, the only visible acknowledgement of money. Perhaps they did receive the award.

I would assume the parents would share some of the money with their older three children, thus Toby and Brenda are able to have 12 children, unschool, and devote their lives to music and dance.

I haven't seen enough to gauge their degree of fundamentalism but with that 16yo's nike pic of abs and jeans and such, I'm guessing these are not Gothard types for sure. Oh plus they dance. Have back beats?

Today is a Sat, my comp is in the living room with the TV and my 15yo daughter planted in front of it. She has watched TLC a lot today and many commercials are about the Willis Clan. TLC is pushing it hard.

Archived