IGNORED

No jail and supended fine for Alaska hot sauce mom.

tabitha2

Are you effing kidding me?

*sigh*

I'm really not surprised, actually. For a society who pretends to value children, we sure don't do a very good job of it.

Agreed, Austin.

Hopefully the conviction will at least mean she'll have to be monitored and take parenting classes.

I haven't followed this very closely, other than the initial reports from the Dr. Phil episode. What happened to the boy? Please, someone tell me he's with a loving family who is taking care of his needs?

I know someone who does this and is quite proud of herself. But she uses "only a tiny drop" It made me lose all respect for anything she has to say. She's a fundie of the wanna be jewish kind. I wish someone would pour hotsauce in her mouth. Makes me sick.

I cannot believe the woman on Dr. Phil did not get jail time. She purposely incited her child to be naughty so that she could use the hot sauce, film it and get on the show. She had been submitting videos for years trying to catch her 25 minutes of fame.

I haven't followed this very closely, other than the initial reports from the Dr. Phil episode. What happened to the boy? Please, someone tell me he's with a loving family who is taking care of his needs?

Actually it appears that he was allowed to stay in the home, and is still there. :(

Fuck Alaska. Fuck Alaska so fucking much.

Actually it appears that he was allowed to stay in the home, and is still there. :(

Fuck Alaska. Fuck Alaska so fucking much.

Excuse me, what?!?! :shock:

Excuse me, what?!?! :shock:

Apparently the appropriate authorities found that he was safe in the home (yeah, really) and figured no harm would go to him there.

His adoptive dad is a cop. So it's little wonder- abuse in families of cops often gets brushed aside, since cops don't like arresting and jailing fellow cops. The fucker was totally OK with the abuse, though he knew damn well it was illegal and immoral to do it to ADULT INMATES. horrible fucking bastard.

Poor Kristoff is probably going to go through even worse abuse now that his case has been publicized. Of course he's like, 7 now, so he has nobody to go to except at school, and I don't have any faith in that now.

I don't want to defend an abuser, but it did seem like that woman was overwhelmed and truly wanted to change. I didn't watch the entire episode, but from what I saw she seemed to be asking for help more than defending her actions. I really REALLY hope that she has gotten some major counseling (actually that the entire family is going through counseling) and that she finds more effective discipline methods.

For the person who said that a mom using a tiny drop of hot sauce made you lose all respect for everything they had to say - come on. My mom used to put a drop of hot sauce in our mouths when we were bratty/mouthing off and yeah, it sucked and yeah, it wasn't the best discipline methods, but that doesn't mean she's a failure at life and deserving of everyone's scorn. Yeesh. The Dr. Phil mom was completely over the top - a drop is a lot different from a mouthful.

I don't want to defend an abuser, but it did seem like that woman was overwhelmed and truly wanted to change. I didn't watch the entire episode, but from what I saw she seemed to be asking for help more than defending her actions. I really REALLY hope that she has gotten some major counseling (actually that the entire family is going through counseling) and that she finds more effective discipline methods.

For the person who said that a mom using a tiny drop of hot sauce made you lose all respect for everything they had to say - come on. My mom used to put a drop of hot sauce in our mouths when we were bratty/mouthing off and yeah, it sucked and yeah, it wasn't the best discipline methods, but that doesn't mean she's a failure at life and deserving of everyone's scorn. Yeesh. The Dr. Phil mom was completely over the top - a drop is a lot different from a mouthful.

Considering she did try out for "Angry Moms", it seems like she had anger problems to begin with and realized it. It does not excuse her treatment of her son, though, and I don't blame anyone for wondering if she was just trying to be on TV.

Guest Anonymous

Evenif she was someone who wanted to change, the fact that she either was dosing the kid with hot sauce when he misbehaved or was prompting the behaviour for show, means there needed to be intervention.

Evenif she was someone who wanted to change, the fact that she either was dosing the kid with hot sauce when he misbehaved or was prompting the behaviour for show, means there needed to be intervention.

Oh I agree 100% that there needed to be intervention. I just don't know that jail time would have been the answer, but again, I don't know all the details. I had no idea about the "Angry Moms" tryout so that does make me wonder.

Sorry Beeks, I stand by what I said. Even a drop is intentionally causing pain to your kid because you cannot think of a better way, and there are better ways, in my opinion. I don't have mouthy kids and I don't have hot sauce. So yeah, no respect for my hotsaucing friend. But since I don't know your Mom I don't have an opinion about her and hot sauce.

"Beagley's attorney said his client turned to unconventional forms of punishment when spankings, time-outs and restricting television were ineffective in changing the boy's behavior. "

So, apparently spanking is a conventional form of punishment??? Wtf?!

Is hot sauce tabasco? If so I can see a drop of sauce on the toung though I don't think it's the best idea ever, but to make a child hold it in their mouth like that is disgusting. She might not be an abusive mum precisely, but parenting classes, stat.

I think that hot saucing is abusive. I think that this woman has displayed some very poor judgement on many levels. Let's start with the idea of adopting a high risk child without learning about the challenges she might face and lining up resources to help her deal with these challenges. Then the lame brain idea to reach ot to Dr. Phil. And it was stupid to escalate an already stupid behavior just for a camera.

However, I agree that the child should not be removed. He already has attachment disorder and a twin brother also lives in the house. He is better off staying in a familiar environment with supervision than being moved around.

Sorry Beeks, I stand by what I said. Even a drop is intentionally causing pain to your kid because you cannot think of a better way, and there are better ways, in my opinion. I don't have mouthy kids and I don't have hot sauce. So yeah, no respect for my hotsaucing friend. But since I don't know your Mom I don't have an opinion about her and hot sauce.

Totally agree that it wasn't the best method available and I wouldn't do it to my kids. My only point is that parents make mistakes. They make them all the time. It doesn't make me completely lose respect for everything a person has to say because they made a mistake or didn't do something perfectly. I think that's arrogant and a bit silly.

Oh I agree 100% that there needed to be intervention. I just don't know that jail time would have been the answer, but again, I don't know all the details. I had no idea about the "Angry Moms" tryout so that does make me wonder.

Totally agree that it wasn't the best method available and I wouldn't do it to my kids. My only point is that parents make mistakes. They make them all the time. It doesn't make me completely lose respect for everything a person has to say because they made a mistake or didn't do something perfectly. I think that's arrogant and a bit silly.

Definitely look into the details. It puts this whole thing in rather a different light, and she really has no defense. She is the embodiment of an attention whore and an abuser.

Did you hear the screams of the child when she was holding him in a freezing cold shower? That wasn't a "mistake" or something done "not perfectly", for gods sake. Who exactly is arrogant and a bit silly?

How is that not seriously jailworthy :?: Yes, she may have emotional problems, but so does 95% of the prison population now.

ETA: second quote

I'm pretty sure it's me that is being called arrogant and silly. Not the parent that puts hot sauce in her kids mouth or who holds him in a freezing shower. Go figure. Everyone is allowed an opinion and mine is that, in the case of my "friend" and in the case of the Dr. Phil woman, using hot sauce to discipline a kid is a symptom of abuse and extremely poor parenting decisions causing me to lose any respect I might have had for them. Beeks feels that opinion is silly and arrogant.

Lisa Whelchel, former star of "Facts of Life" needs to be charged for the hot sauce thing. She cites it as "useful" in her creative correction book. FYI her hubby is a pastor and she homeschools.

I'm pretty sure it's me that is being called arrogant and silly. Not the parent that puts hot sauce in her kids mouth or who holds him in a freezing shower. Go figure. Everyone is allowed an opinion and mine is that, in the case of my "friend" and in the case of the Dr. Phil woman, using hot sauce to discipline a kid is a symptom of abuse and extremely poor parenting decisions causing me to lose any respect I might have had for them. Beeks feels that opinion is silly and arrogant.

Way to misrepresent what I said. I'm not talking about hot sauce dr. phil mom, who clearly has issues. You said: "[friend] uses 'only a tiny drop' It made me lose all respect for anything she has to say." That's what I find lame. Your friend makes one parenting error and you lose respect for ANYTHING she has to say? I'm sure you've made mistakes too.

I certainly do make parenting errors. She makes lots of others too, but they are not relevant to this conversation so I didn't bring them up. You are certainly entitled to think I'm lame. But I didn't misrepresent you calling me silly and arrogant.

The doctor Phil mom doesn't belong in jail.. but parenting classes and monitoring, sure. A mouthful of Tabasco is shitty. A cold shower sucks. but I am not sure either one should land you in jail.

The doctor Phil mom doesn't belong in jail.. but parenting classes and monitoring, sure. A mouthful of Tabasco is shitty. A cold shower sucks. but I am not sure either one should land you in jail.

I might have tended to agree with you before I saw the video. The child screaming and her holding him in the freezing water changed my mind. It was chilling (no pun intended, srsly).

Archived