IGNORED

Steve Maxwell wants his sheeple to do another fast

SPHASH

If Steve gets violent, what will they do? What if he threatens to harm himself or his family? I hope Teri would have enough sense to get out and get him help along with her family.

I think that's a reasonable question to ask.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps all these fasts are because God is not answering their prayers the way they want them to be. As if thier trying to convince Him to do what they want. I get confused about fasting- it seems like people think it a giant cosmic vending machine. Say these prayers- and fast for this. Say those prayers and fast for that.

Since they dealt with it before I think they would figure it out before something happened. It is something that is progressive. A person does not wake up one day and start wandering, or become violent out of the blue. I think the concearn would be getting him the help he needed- I think they may decide to handle it themselves, that's when accidents and tragedies happen.

They haven't dealt with it. Just because Steve's mom had it doesn't mean they dealt with it. Steve was, it seems, estranged from his mother, more or less. Steve left that to his sisters.

I don't think they even went to her funeral.

Joseph definitely didn't; he blew it off to propose to Elissa, remember? He couldn't wait one day so that he could be there to honor his grandmother's life and pay his respects to his extended family in their grief.

Fourth commandment much, Steve? For someone so obsessed with family being each other's everything he sure treats his shabbily. The ones he can't control, anyway.

That's right, it was that same day.

I can't imagine how he justifies acting that way towards his mother. What could she have possibly done that was so awful to not even go to her funeral?

Joseph definitely didn't; he blew it off to propose to Elissa, remember? He couldn't wait one day so that he could be there to honor his grandmother's life and pay his respects to his extended family in their grief.

Fourth commandment much, Steve? For someone so obsessed with family being each other's everything he sure treats his shabbily. The ones he can't control, anyway.

I remember. Karma's going to come back and haunt them in that one....

I remember. Karma's going to come back and haunt them in that one....

I would like to think that, but I think his family is too indoctrinated. He is going to be treated like a king until he dies, and then he will become a martyr. Who cares about Exodus 20:3!

I can't imagine how he justifies acting that way towards his mother. What could she have possibly done that was so awful to not even go to her funeral?

Perhaps she called her husband / Steves father to ask if he was bringing pizza home?

The gall of that woman!

:pizza:

His parents spit in god's eye by divorcing. I don't know who initiated it but apparently his father wasn't exactly faithful. Still, in Steve's mind she was probably the one at fault for not being submissive/meek/quiet/available/thin/beautiful/groveling and/or willing to put up with anything her husband handed to her. It's ALWAYS the woman's fault, doncha know? I think he visited once a year or so but that was it, she got no respect and no mention on the blog. But then again, they lived next door to Rex and GiGi, spoke of them often and Rex still didn't rate a mention when he died. And I call BS about wanting to keep it private since they choose to talk about him and posted photos when he was alive. The least they could have done is allowed their followers to pay their respects. Instead, the MInistry of Truth just made him an unperson.

His parents spit in god's eye by divorcing. I don't know who initiated it but apparently his father wasn't exactly faithful. Still, in Steve's mind she was probably the one at fault for not being submissive/meek/quiet/available/thin/beautiful/groveling and/or willing to put up with anything her husband handed to her. It's ALWAYS the woman's fault, doncha know? I think he visited once a year or so but that was it, she got no respect and no mention on the blog. But then again, they lived next door to Rex and GiGi, spoke of them often and Rex still didn't rate a mention when he died. And I call BS about wanting to keep it private since they choose to talk about him and posted photos when he was alive. The least they could have done is allowed their followers to pay their respects. Instead, the MInistry of Truth just made him an unperson.

Too true.

Steve really is evil.

In honor of the Maxwell's latest fast, I am going to worship my Lord & Savior, the Cadbury Bunny.

Cadbury mini eggs in the freezer...best Easter candy ever.

Steve's mother was the original illustrator of the first Moody book. Sarah (or Steve, more likely) had someone redraw the pictures after a few years and sequels. That detail has always struck me as unspeakably sad. She took the time to draw very sweet pictures for her granddaughter's fledgling picture book endeavor, obviously done with love, and they replaced her gift in favor of whatever the art is now.

Anyway, she had a relationship with Steve's family at least through the publication of the first Moody book or she never would've been asked to do the illustrations. Something must've happened between then and her death (or her slide into dementia) to get Steve's family to the point where Joseph would blow off his own grandmother's funeral just to see a girl that he could easily have visited the next day.

ETA: citation for Sarah replacing her grandma's Moody drawings with ones by another artist: blog.titus2.com/2012/07/09/moody-project-unveiling/

Did the brother who married most recently "fast and pray" while making that decision? Perhaps they are fasting and praying so much over a courtship, OR for one.

Steve's mother was the original illustrator of the first Moody book. Sarah (or Steve, more likely) had someone redraw the pictures after a few years and sequels. That detail has always struck me as unspeakably sad. She took the time to draw very sweet pictures for her granddaughter's fledgling picture book endeavor, obviously done with love, and they replaced her gift in favor of whatever the art is now.

Anyway, she had a relationship with Steve's family at least through the publication of the first Moody book or she never would've been asked to do the illustrations. Something must've happened between then and her death (or her slide into dementia) to get Steve's family to the point where Joseph would blow off his own grandmother's funeral just to see a girl that he could easily have visited the next day.

ETA: citation for Sarah replacing her grandma's Moody drawings with ones by another artist: blog.titus2.com/2012/07/09/moody-project-unveiling/

The only other mention of Steve's mother (besides the few visits they mentioned when she was placed in a care home) was that she found a violin in a second hand shop, fixed it up, and gave it to Reversal Anna when the Maxwells started learning to play music.

Steve's mother (Mary, I think) must have voiced some concern over their lifestyle or something. There just doesn't seem to be much closeness there.

I remember when Sarah mentioned it had been eight months since they visited her. The care home was only three hours away. No one in this family works a 9-5 job, or goes to a brick and mortar school, and eight months is the best they could do?

Please tell me a FJer wrote this:

"A Chriistain [sic] theme park"

It doesn't seem like they speak/type English as a foreign language, and they don't seem to have an intellectual issue. They even use 'big' words like "revised" and "sanctuary" (which isn't spelled the way it sounds)

I really don't want to believe that a *Christian* can't spell the name of their own faith.

The only other mention of Steve's mother (besides the few visits they mentioned when she was placed in a care home) was that she found a violin in a second hand shop, fixed it up, and gave it to Reversal Anna when the Maxwells started learning to play music.

Oh, no, really? That's so, so sad. She drew pictures for Sarah's first children's book, she found and refurbished a used violin for Anna when she wanted to learn, and then when she became ill they couldn't even be assed to visit or go to her funeral. God. So much for all Steve's preaching about how much he values the elderly, and how much children should revere their parents.

I've talked about this before on FJ, but my beloved grandmother died of Alzheimer's and was in a care unit for years before the end. Every one of her children, and all of her grandchildren who could, made the drive to see her at least once a week. The grandkids who lived too far for regular visits came to town as often as they could. We made photo collages of her parents as young adults and her and her siblings as children so she would be surrounded by familiar faces. My cousins brought their pets to see her because she loved dogs. They brought their children because, even though she didn't recognize them, she knew they were people who loved her, and she loved children.

We had a birthday party for her every year with her favorite strawberry ice cream and scrapbooks of her childhood and all her friends and family came. We loved her devotedly. Her disintegration was a living nightmare but we were with her and loving her every step of the way.

Why didn't Steve, with his obsessive biblical literalism, love his mother like that? Why didn't he want her to feel happy and safe and valued and loved? He could have so easily done it. She was his mother. She drew Sarah's pictures and refurbished Anna's violin. She obviously loved them and showed it, but Joseph couldn't even care about her enough to go to her funeral. Not even out of respect for what she did for his father and sisters. That is cold and upsetting.

Re Steve and possible dementia - I really hope Melanie would notice a deterioration in Steve's mental capacities and take steps to shield her children from it. She and Nathan don't seem to be drowning in the koolaid quite as much as the other Maxwells and Nathan, as eldest son, would have more authority than anyone else in that family to take steps to get Steve care.

I'm in Pittsburgh on a work trip and will be entertaining clients. Company card food and booze for my anti-fast!

Re Steve and possible dementia - I really hope Melanie would notice a deterioration in Steve's mental capacities and take steps to shield her children from it. She and Nathan don't seem to be drowning in the koolaid quite as much as the other Maxwells and Nathan, as eldest son, would have more authority than anyone else in that family to take steps to get Steve care.

Agree!

Agree!

Oh, I think they are pretty deep. Remember, Abby couldn't ask to feed the chipmunks, she had to pray that her Daddy would allow them to feed the chipmunks again.... They are also "poster children" for Scamaritian....

I didn't go to my grandfathers funeral, but that's because I could only take so much time off of work, and I had to choose between the funeral and seeing him alive one last time. It's obvious what I chose.

I wouldn't really care if someone didn't go to a funeral for something they couldn't put off, or if they'd have to quit a much looked forward to vacation they couldn't change the dates for. I mean, funerals are more for the living than the dead...

I might not go to grandmas funeral either when she dies. All that crying I'm going to need to do, to have to be done in public? No thanks. (It would be at her church, where there are no private places to go. Our family doesn't do funeral homes.)

I'd rather grieve in private in my own way.

I don't think that Steve has dementia. I don't their fasts have anything to do with his mental health. He is likely as much of an asshole as always. I would not be surprised if we soon learn of a new Maxwell book about prayer, fasting and praying for death. These people don't do anything without a plan. Soon we be able to read about how men and woman have to pray and fast different.

I'll do my anti-fasting a couple of days early. Tomorrow I'm going to a fancy luncheon put on by ebil feminists: it's the annual American Association of University Women's scholarship fundraiser. Each year, three or so local authors come and speak about writing. Many of them are--gasp--women, and none of the books tends to have the slightest thing to do with the Bible.

I don't think anyone is saying he has dementia now, just that if he ever developed it in the future, how would they even know? And how would they protect themselves from their brainwashed unquestioning submission to him if he became irrational?

Archived