IGNORED

Steve Maxwell wants his sheeple to do another fast

SPHASH

Not food but the news. Refrain from listening, watching, or reading the news for 60 days. In his newest Dad's Corner he says the news gets one person hyped up and ignore thei wife. WTF? Sorry but my job depends on what is going on in the world.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG this guy is such an ass. Hello, you Steve are a citizen of Leavenworth in the state of Kansas in the United States of America, the continent of North America, of the planet Earth, 3rd rock from the Sun of the solar system, part of the Milky Way Galaxy, part of the Local Group, member of The Universe.

As a member of a group, living in ignorance of all that is not going on in the four walls of your house (and the 12 of you "cleaved" man-children) is selfish, pridefully, slothly and probably a few other deadly sins.

Aw, darn. I was hoping for another anti-fast. I just learned how to make flancocho and was hoping for an excuse to make another one, as my colleagues devoured the one I took to the office.

But, honestly, how many really pray about what they hear?

Yep, that about sums up our Stevie, doesn't it? Doesn't give a shit about anyone or anything outside his tightly-controlled little corner of the universe.

Aw, darn. I was hoping for another anti-fast. I just learned how to make flancocho and was hoping for an excuse to make another one, as my colleagues devoured the one I took to the office.

Ugh I know. I am craving chocolate chip cookies and need an excuse to bake some.

So Steve knows who prays or not AND what they pray on! He's gifted! The magazines... if I'm a guest in someone's house and there is a conversation in progress, no I don't start reading! :roll:

OMG this guy is such an ass. Hello, you Steve are a citizen of Leavenworth in the state of Kansas in the United States of America, the continent of North America, of the planet Earth, 3rd rock from the Sun of the solar system, part of the Milky Way Galaxy, part of the Local Group, member of The Universe.

As a member of a group, living in ignorance of all that is not going on in the four walls of your house (and the 12 of you "cleaved" man-children) is selfish, pridefully, slothly and probably a few other deadly sins.

So much this. I'm still new to fundie culture, and I understand that there is something that I, as an outsider, just fundamentally (LOL) don't understand.

We are all to be and remain ignorant of the world around us -- our very own communities of people! -- so as to not give away pieces of our heart. I just...completely fail to understand how willful, utter and complete ignorance is something people actively promote.

We don’t spend time on things in which we have no interest or to which we have no heart attachment. We spend our voluntary time on those things that have a piece of our hearts.

Are you drawn to the news? Have you ever asked yourself why? It robs a husband of time with his wife, delays getting in bed, and will not build our peace of mind and joy. So, then, why waste one’s time on the news? Maybe one watches it to know how to pray. But, honestly, how many really pray about what they hear?

Maybe one watches the news to gain a better understanding of what is happening in the world? Just a thought Stevie. Not everybody wants to be ignorant about what is happening in the world around them.

Better to consume the news and learn about reality and possibly actually influence things than spend all of your days obsessing over the minutiae of a fantasy story, which from my perspective is all Steve-O and clan are doing.

"For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret - Ephesians 5:12"

It doesn't say anything about reading things done in secret, and if something is newsworthy it's usually something done in public... like the shooting of 3 Muslim students yesterday. Though I guess Stevo wouldn't care about that, because one of them was married but still going to school instead of staying at home like a good wife and they weren't Christian.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Does this news fast mean Stevo can't read Free Jinger? Maybe we should insert little news snippets into random Maxwell posts, so he will inadvertently break his fast every time he comes on here. :obscene-birdiedoublered:

We don’t spend time on things in which we have no interest or to which we have no heart attachment. We spend our voluntary time on those things that have a piece of our hearts.

Are you drawn to the news? Have you ever asked yourself why? It robs a husband of time with his wife, delays getting in bed, and will not build our peace of mind and joy. So, then, why waste one’s time on the news? Maybe one watches it to know how to pray. But, honestly, how many really pray about what they hear?

Well, clearly not the Maxwells as they are way too busy praying about really important things like, guidance for efficient packing before a trip, whether or not to buy a swing set, what to do if the daily schedule doesn't go according to plan, and for car repairs to go smoothly.

I feel the need to anti-fast this somehow as well....

Perhaps a 60 day thread where we discuss current events (and perhaps cooking and quilting as apparently they are not interesting)?

Thoughts?

Yep, that about sums up our Stevie, doesn't it? Doesn't give a shit about anyone or anything outside his tightly-controlled little corner of the universe.

Well, *I* pray about what I hear in the news! Our church prayer list also includes references to places or events that are part of the current news cycle. For example, Syria and Ukraine are among the countries on the list right now. I suppose one could pray for them without knowing what is happening there. But if you truly care, wouldn't you bother to watch/read the news and find out?

Well, *I* pray about what I hear in the news! Our church prayer list also includes references to places or events that are part of the current news cycle. For example, Syria and Ukraine are among the countries on the list right now. I suppose one could pray for them without knowing what is happening there. But if you truly care, wouldn't you bother to watch/read the news and find out?

In the church I attend now and the previous one we prayed for current events...President Obama, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Syria, when Gabby Giffords was shot, the Joplin tornado just to name a few. The first Sunday after 9/11 the entire service was devoted to that topic. And when Jesse Ventura had his interview with Playboy while Gov of Minnesota, the pastor had a sermon about what he said and how wrong he was.

Wow, he doesn't even try to make sense any more.

I know plenty of men who are interested in cooking, and who might indeed pick up a magazine and leaf through it with some interest. And they're straight, not that there's anything wrong with that. 8-)

Steve, we are called to be not of the world, but God *has* placed us *in* the world. You ask robotically, 'who actually prays about what they hear on the news' and I will tell you who: the sainted Big Daddy Junebug did. Oh my yes.

When something awful was reported, and we kids - grown or little - would groan or make some remark, he'd say, "We should pray for [those involved]."

No, he did not instruct us to fall to our knees right there and then, but he made it quite clear there was no reason we couldn't pray for others in private or even as we moved about our day doing other things.

Poor Steve, you sound tired of your job writing the Dad's Corners, really. Perhaps you need a multi-day fast from that, and I'm not being snide. Our Lord Jesus took time away to pray and meditate. What makes us any less in need of something like that?

Something to think about.

I feel the need to anti-fast this somehow as well....

Perhaps a 60 day thread where we discuss current events (and perhaps cooking and quilting as apparently they are not interesting)?

Thoughts?

Great idea! I'm sure we all could come up with great recipe contributions... I made some homemade Hamburger Helper earlier tonight using basic stuff from the fridge and pantry.

So does that mean Steve is gonna take 60 days off reading here? That's about the same thing, isn't it? Yes, I get media fasts. I did one for a day. It IS good to get away from it to focus on God and prayer.

But, how would you EVER have come up with "How to make a Christ-like living in a dog-eat-dog world" without staying in touch with what's going on?

So does that mean Steve is gonna take 60 days off reading here? That's about the same thing, isn't it? Yes, I get media fasts. I did one for a day. It IS good to get away from it to focus on God and prayer.

But, how would you EVER have come up with "How to make a Christ-like living in a dog-eat-dog world" without staying in touch with what's going on?

How is this a "fast" for Steve or the rest of the Maxwells? They don't follow the news. They don't read or watch anything. Their lives will not change at all. They are not giving up anything. This is like me giving up asparagus, which I hate and never eat. If we "fast" with Steve, does that mean we shouldn't read their blog?

Steve doesn't get that most people don't want to live in a sterile bubble of life. What idiot doesn't want to know anything going on in the world for 60 days? How would people function? Most people would like to know if there is traffic on the way to work, if there has been a national disaster or terrorist attack, if it will rain and who wore what to the Oscars. News is somewhat unifying because, in some instances, it effects us all. It gives us an instant connection with people. It opens our eyes to the world and ideas we might never otherwise learn about, which is why he does not allow his children to read or watch the news.

As a Catholic who will be giving up a few things for Lent, I wonder if this is Steve's version of Lent. This is just such a weird thing to "fast." I will just stick to giving up the fabulously tasty crap food I love, no one is taking away my CNN.

Funny how the comments are disabled. Steve you're a bitch.

yes I read magazines and picked them up from other people houses. Funny how watching the news with my husband is our downtime. It brings us together. Please stop Moran.

Archived