IGNORED

Josie had seizure for 15 mins before EMT arrive- People Mag

quiversR4hunting

First time poster here. Did anyone else notice that Josie wasn't wearing a shirt in the hospital while she was being filmed? You would think with "Duggar modesty standards" that they would at least cover her up before filming her already vulnerable. Obviously Josie is a six year old girl and to any normal person a six year old without a shirt on is not "defrauding" (shudder), but Josie clearly did not ask for it to be documented. I wonder what she will think of this later on in her life, or even now. It's hypocritical that Michelle won't let Josie run around without a modesty shawl at a wedding but will let her be filmed topless when she's unconcious from a seizure and it's profitable.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First time poster here. Did anyone else notice that Josie wasn't wearing a shirt in the hospital while she was being filmed? You would think with "Duggar modesty standards" that they would at least cover her up before filming her already vulnerable. Obviously Josie is a six year old girl and to any normal person a six year old without a shirt on is not "defrauding" (shudder), but Josie clearly did not ask for it to be documented. I wonder what she will think of this later on in her life, or even now. It's hypocritical that Michelle won't let Josie run around without a modesty shawl at a wedding but will let her be filmed topless when she's unconcious from a seizure and it's profitable.

That's why I think Boob and J'Chelle were not present when this happened, because you know they would be all over that. Jana doesn't give a fuck.

I read somewhere that J&M were out of the country on a mission trip. I do not recall the source and have no idea if it is reliable information. Read it somewhere on the internet.

That's why I think Boob and J'Chelle were not present when this happened, because you know they would be all over that. Jana doesn't give a fuck.

Maybe the Duggars don't have as much control over what gets filmed as we think they do. I'm sure there are some major agreements like TLC can't go in the bedrooms uninvited and stuff like that but a contract can't cover everything that could come up.

I don't know if Jana didn't GAF. I think she was probably much more concerned with getting Josie the medical help she needed than J-Chelle's "modesty" fixation. I'd also like to add that putting one's eldest child in the position of dealing with her younger sister's medical emergency because (from all appearances) one was too busy elsewhere -- as usual -- is a dick move at the least and if I really wanted to call it like I see it, bordering on neglect.

One more thing, and of course, this is IMHO. Anyone who doesn't believe that the Duggars are on some type of "OMG, VIP" status with the local PD and fire department needs to rethink. We've seen photos of a local police car parked at the compound more than once; TLC is most likely paying for private security.

I don't know if Jana didn't GAF. I think she was probably much more concerned with getting Josie the medical help she needed than J-Chelle's "modesty" fixation. I'd also like to add that putting one's eldest child in the position of dealing with her younger sister's medical emergency because (from all appearances) one was too busy elsewhere -- as usual -- is a dick move at the least and if I really wanted to call it like I see it, bordering on neglect.

One more thing, and of course, this is IMHO. Anyone who doesn't believe that the Duggars are on some type of "OMG, VIP" status with the local PD and fire department needs to rethink. We've seen photos of a local police car parked at the compound more than once; TLC is most likely paying for private security.

How is putting a 25 year old in charge of her sister neglect?!

IMO, in this situation we would need a LOT more information before calling this neglect! Parents aren't required to be by their child's side 24/7 and she wasn't even with a teenage babysitter, she was with her sister! Also, it's not like they knew Josie would have a seizure at that moment and chose not to be there.

None of this is to say the Duggars don't neglect their parental obligations or that they are good parents. But not being with their child at the time of an unforeseen medical issue is, IMO, no big deal.

Filming it though, is gross. If Jim Bob, Michelle or the over 18 year old kids want their medical lives filmed go for it. But filming a minor in a medical situation seems like some kind of HIPPA violation, or at the very least incredibly inappropriate.

How is putting a 25 year old in charge of her sister neglect?

Does Jana have a medical POA for Josie if JB and M are not there? If not, she can't authorize medical care.

I feel really dirty defending the Duggars, but are parents never supposed to leave their child for 30 minutes without someone else having medical POA??? That's all it takes for a medical issue to arise. People leave 5 year olds with 12 year old babysitters for gods sake.

I feel really dirty defending the Duggars, but are parents never supposed to leave their child for 30 minutes without someone else having medical POA??? That's all it takes for a medical issue to arise. People leave 5 year olds with 12 year old babysitters for gods sake.

With all due respect, "30 minutes" my ass.

19KAC viewers have noted multiple occasions during which the older four daughters were left responsible with the entire brood (including medically fragile Miracle Child Josie) while their parents were out of town for days or otherwise inaccessible. The Duggars gave up their right to leave their children for any length of time at all when they had 19. They are PARENTS, not "visitors".

And I stand by my assessment: Leaving a minor, medically fragile child in the care of an older sibling while trotting off to wherever to advance one's career aspirations or political beliefs is neglect. Jana is NOT Josie's parent, and should not have been put in that position to begin with.

How is putting a 25 year old in charge of her sister neglect?!

Jana is not her sister's parent. The Duggars know that Josie has medical problems and still choose to leave the family (including the miracle child) at any and all opportunities in the care of their eldest daughters. Jana is making decisions and handling responsibilities that should be handled by Josie's PARENTS.

It's all fun and games until someone has to take responsibility. Jim Boob and J-Chelle abdicated those responsibilities a long time ago. If they couldn't handle the responsibilities involved in raising 19, they shouldn't have had that many children.

They can leave their kids with competent caregivers just like other people do. You do not even need for someone to have POA for an er to render services for a true emergency. When my daughter was 5 and my oldest son 23 she tripped and put her arm threw the glass door of a bookcase and needed several stitches while I was out grocery shopping. I did not have a cell phone then. He took her to the ER and tx began before I was aware of what happened. What failed with the Josie situation was the preservation of her privacy and dignity by both her family and the hospital. Shame on them. ETA...A couple of their kids are first responders and in their 20's. They, IMO reacted appropriately except for neglecting Josie's basic human rights of confidentiality, privacy and dignity. That noted, her parents would have likely done the same. ETA again...just to remind that grandma Duggar lives there also..

Does Jana have a medical POA for Josie if JB and M are not there? If not, she can't authorize medical care.

I highly doubt that the Duggars would leave their children, especially Josie, with someone for an extended period of time without giving that person medical POA. And who is to say it has to be Jana? Grandma Duggar lives with them.

They can leave their kids with competent caregivers just like other people do. You do not even need for someone to have POA for an er to render services for a true emergency. When my daughter was 5 and my oldest son 23 she tripped and put her arm threw the glass door of a bookcase and needed several stitches while I was out grocery shopping. I did not have a cell phone then.

I understand that parents aren't omnipresent, especially those who are caring for the family by doing the tasks necessary to keep the household going. I am positive that the moment you discovered your little girl had had an accident, you made sure the other kids were supervised and you were on the way to the hospital to make sure she would be just fine. In other words, your kids have great parents that would never let them handle something traumatic without your help and presence.

My biggest objection to the Duggars, besides the obvious: They seem to believe they are the CEO's of their household and therefore do not need to actually parent, or even be in the same friggin' country as their children for extended periods of time on multiple occasions. Under all circumstances, not just when one of the kids has an accident or an illness. Jana (and by extension, Jill, Jessa and Jinger) did not ask to parent their thirteen younger sisters and brothers. I get the ability for any parent to leave their children in the care of a competent adult during times of emergency or other absence. I do not get the fact that the Duggars seem to think that dealing with their own children is everyone else's problem.

And IMHO, of course, but I wonder what will happen when the hospital in question discovers there were photos/video taken of a patient via cell phone. I haven't been inside a hospital in the past ten years in which there was not multiple signs stating cell phones are not allowed to be used, let alone the HIPAA laws protecting the privacy of the OTHER patients there. Josie is too young to consent to her image being used as well.

Josie's dad sold away her name, private moments, anonymity and privacy away to TLC for easy money...long before Josie was even conceived.

I am confused as to why people keep calling Josie medically fragile. I don't think she is at all. She had a seizure. It happens. It's not something she does regularly and even if it was, she would be on medication and probably left with a sitter sometimes.

That said, the Duggars are horrible parents. Oh hell, they aren't even parents, they are breeders. Even leaving a normal (yes, a NORMAL) 5 year old child in the care of an adult sibling for an extended period and being out out the country would be alright if you hadn't already given that child away, anyway. The problem wasn't this happening while they were away. Things like that happen all the time. The problem is, she would be just as much without parental care if JB & M had been sitting in the Living Room.

I am confused as to why people keep calling Josie medically fragile. I don't think she is at all. She had a seizure. It happens. It's not something she does regularly and even if it was, she would be on medication and probably left with a sitter sometimes.

That said, the Duggars are horrible parents. Oh hell, they aren't even parents, they are breeders. Even leaving a normal (yes, a NORMAL) 5 year old child in the care of an adult sibling for an extended period and being out out the country would be alright if you hadn't already given that child away, anyway. The problem wasn't this happening while they were away. Things like that happen all the time. The problem is, she would be just as much without parental care if JB & M had been sitting in the Living Room.

100% correct- even if they were physically present, they are both mentally checked out in the parenting dept. Their only apparent motivation in terms of their ble$$ing$, is the $$$$ they generate.

Rainy I hear everything you say however I really do not have a problem..just my opinion..with Josie's care being entrusted underneath the supervision of her grandmother and older siblings. I do however have a problem with Josie's rights of confidentiality, privacy and dignity being violated and that neither her family nor the hospital bothered to advocate for her. In fact, it infuriates me. The situation I have/had with my kids is a little unusual because there is a huge age gap in between all of them (hmmm not so different I guess from the Duggars..just less of them) Their birthdays are all in Feb...4,16,18 and are or soon will be 34, 26, 16...I mate in May,lol. But yes..I have always ensured proper care for my kids...age appropriate..There is a lack of thoughtful parenting in the Duggar household and poor Josie is caught up in it all with no voice of her own. It is just so sad to me.

As always, IMHO, of course.

I call Josie "medically fragile" because I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV, but we have no idea if the medical issues that presented themselves when she was born are still present ("Floating intestines", for instance.) Maybe she's a perfectly normal 6 year old and I'm full of crap. I'm willing to take the risk of being wrong. I do note, however, that there has been no evidence at all of any type of early intervention for the issues many micropreemies have in Josie's case. Again, IMHO, but the difference between Sarah Pope's little boy and Josie were pronounced and shocking.

There might be a sitter once in a while, but the sheer amount of time that Josie spends with anyone else but Jim Boob and J-Chelle shows me they just don't give a shit about a child who had a rough start and may still be struggling with resulting issues. It's all about #20, and if they'd managed to accomplish that feat, Josie would be one of the Lost Girls by now.

One more thought: Jim Boob and J-Chelle may have signed Josie's right to privacy away, but their TLC contract does not circumvent hospital rules and federal legislation. I'm looking forward to seeing if there's any fallout from the cell phone filming.

Floating Intestines- In my 35 years of nursing, 33 years Nicu and 2 years PICU- all at level 3 centers caring for the most acutely ill and preterm infants and children, I have never heard of this medical diagnosis. I cannot even guess as to what Michelle might be indicating with such a definition.

I call it bogus-

Floating intestines makes me laugh...sorry. but anyway, i am not a doctor (or even a nurse) and I don't play one on TV, either. I am, however, the mom of former 25, 30, and 33 (this one had the most long lasting health issues) week preemies. Seriously, there is no indication whatsoever That Josie is any more fragile than any other small child. Just because a baby starts out fragile doesn't mean they stay that way. My 25 weeker is over 6' tall and around 200 pounds and not the tiniest bit fragile. Josie seems behind because she was babied by a finally unable to conceive mother who had no concept of being without a baby.

With all due respect, "30 minutes" my ass.

19KAC viewers have noted multiple occasions during which the older four daughters were left responsible with the entire brood (including medically fragile Miracle Child Josie) while their parents were out of town for days or otherwise inaccessible. The Duggars gave up their right to leave their children for any length of time at all when they had 19. They are PARENTS, not "visitors".

And I stand by my assessment: Leaving a minor, medically fragile child in the care of an older sibling while trotting off to wherever to advance one's career aspirations or political beliefs is neglect. Jana is NOT Josie's parent, and should not have been put in that position to begin with.

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read on the Internet. And that's saying something :roll:

So, let's just start with the most obvious issue -- are you seriously trying to say that parents should be with their children 24/7 ? Suppose they were like the vast majority of children who go to public school? Should their parents hover in the classroom?

As for obtaining consent for medical treatment -- I don't see what the huge drama is. When my kids were minors I gave several close relatives - including any adult children - a written, signed note that gave them permission to consent to any needed medical treatment for the listed minor children, along with insurance info, and any allergies. All on one page. Took five minutes. Every parent should do that , IMHO, just in case. Even if you plan to not let your child out of your sight until they hit 18 ( which is it's own kind of neglect ) - suppose you were in a car accident with your kids?

And for God's sake Jana is old enough to be Josie's mother, or school teacher - but she shouldn't baby sit her? Talk about infantalizing your children!

Floating intestines makes me laugh...sorry. but anyway, i am not a doctor (or even a nurse) and I don't play one on TV, either. I am, however, the mom of former 25, 30, and 33 (this one had the most long lasting health issues) week preemies. Seriously, there is no indication whatsoever That Josie is any more fragile than any other small child. Just because a baby starts out fragile doesn't mean they stay that way. My 25 weeker is over 6' tall and around 200 pounds and not the tiniest bit fragile. Josie seems behind because she was babied by a finally unable to conceive mother who had no concept of being without a baby.

When my tiny, tiny, born at FT gestation daughter was in Kindergarten, there was this sweet boy, one of the biggest in the class, and his mom told me he was a preemie- LOL. He easily outweighed my daughter by 30 lbs. He was the LAST kid in the class that I would have pegged as a 30 weeker! LOL.

When my tiny, tiny, born at FT gestation daughter was in Kindergarten, there was this sweet boy, one of the biggest in the class, and his mom told me he was a preemie- LOL. He easily outweighed my daughter by 30 lbs. He was the LAST kid in the class that I would have pegged as a 30 weeker! LOL.

It's crazy isn't it! :D I like to look way up to my big boy and say "I used to put my fingers behind your head, cradle your bottom in my palm, and pick you up with one hand. NEVER forget who is bigger here! :lol:

Archived