IGNORED

If you could rename the Duggars

anjulibai

Jedidiah- Jeremy

Jeremiah- Lewis

Really, twin boys, Jeremy and Lewis? Try saying it out loud: Jeremy and Lewis, Jeremy Lewis, am I the only one who hears "Jerry Lee Lewis"?

Even Jimby and Michelle must know who that is, from before they went into hiding in fundyland.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Josh- Stay Josh

Jana- Melanie

John David- Jeffery

Jill-Paige

Jessa- Vanessa

Jinger- Stephanie

Joseph- stays the same

Josiah- Neil

JoyAnna- Just Joy

Jedidiah- Jeremy

Jeremiah- Lewis

Jason- stays the same

James- Sawyer

Justin- George

Jackson- Zack

Johannah- Caitlin

Jennifer- Ryan

Jordan- Bridget

Josie-Miracle child

I so love that you gave James the name Sawyer! Please tell me that was a LOST reference?

I've ways thought their middle names are the names that JimBob and Michelle actually really liked and should have gone with if they hadn't been determined to go with the theme. So Jessa would be Lauren, Jinger Nicole etc.

I like Jinger's name, but I'd spell it correctly, along with Mackenzie's (I just gave her a better spelling there, not gonna bother looking up the incorrect spelling).

I also like Johannah, partly because the nickname Hannie has grown on me, but would have switched either hers or Joy's name to something else. Joyanna and Johannah are too similar.

If you are doing theme names and have gotten to the point where you have run out of ideas and are giving your children very similar names as a result, you are doing something wrong as a parent. I had an aunt that did theme-naming, and none of her children got similar names (of course, she didn't have 19 of them). My point being, the Duggars could have consulted a baby name book.

...And why weren't any of the girls ever named Julie like Jim Bob wanted? That's way better than Jubilee.

i had a topic a while ago about the same thing, here are my first and middle name choices:

Josh = Andrew (Andy) Paul

Jana = Katherine (Katie) Mary

John-David = Bradley (Brad) James

Jill = Elizabeth (Lizzy) Anne

Jessa = Stephanie Louise

Jinger = Alyssa Naomi

Joseph = Nicholas (Nick) Benjamin

Josiah = Daniel (Danny) Peter

Joyanna = Lauren Susannah

Jeremiah = Noah Matthew

Jedidiah = Thomas (Tom) Isaac

Jason = Zachary (Zach) Lucas

James = Alexander (Alex) Jared

Justin = Blake Simon

Jackson = Colin Levi

Johanna = Zoey Judith

Jennifer = Emily Grace

Jordyn = Sophia Ruth

Josie = Abigail (Abi) Candace

Mackynzie = Ava Delilah

Michael = Jack Gabriel

Marcus = Ethan Silas

Anna = Megan (Meg) Julia

Michelle = Susan Mary

Jim-Bob = David Paul

Nooo, you just took away the only two Duggar names that I actually like, :lol:

I never understood why Josie didn't get the full name, Josephine and how they managed to avoid Julie/Julia, wich would be such a trade up for most of the girls.

I never understood why they have a Joseph, Josiah, Johanna, and Josie but they never once used a Ju- name like June, Jude, Judson, Julia, Juliana, Julius, etc. And why Jana, Joy-Anna, and Johanna?

If I could, I'd have named them after people in my family and husband's family whose traits I wanted to honor or emulate. After that, historical figures, and perhaps some biblical figures thrown in.

So: Josh would be Joseph

Jana: Rose

JD: John

Jill: Helen

Jessa: Joan

Jinger: Mary

Joseph: Robert

Josiah: Gregory

Joy: Eleanor

Jeremiah: I would keep that, I like it

Jedidiah : ditto

Jason: Michael

James: I like that one, too

Justin: Matthew

Jackson: Abraham

Johanna : Catherine

Jennifer: Margaret

Jordyn : Bernadette

Josie : Josephine

Ok I'm going to totally go with the alternative naming of the Duggar family. Names that already exist on their birth certificates.

1 Joshua --- James

2 Jana --- Marie

3 John-David --- David

4 Jill --- Michelle

5 Jessa --- Lauren

6 Jinger --- Nicole

7 Joseph --- Garrett

8 Josiah --- Matthew

9 Joy-Anna --- Anna

10 Jedediah --- Robert

11 Jeremiah --- Robert (you'd have to change one of these)

12 Jason --- Michael

13 James --- Andrew

14 Justin ---- Samuel

15 Jackson --- Levi

16 Johannah --- Faith

17 Jennifer --- Danielle

18 Jordyn ---- Grace or Makiya

19 Josie --- Brooklyn

These are all of the kids' middle names. Most of them don't suck but I'd change a few of them (Robert would stay only for 1 of the twins). The only one that sucks IMO is Brooklyn (I get the place middle names but I don't think that Brooklyn has any meaning to the Duggars at all).

As for the name combinations. I think Josiah Matthew is the best one of them all. I think their names declined as the kids got younger. I think the miscarried Jubilee Shalom got the worst of them all (I wonder if she would have gotten a better name had she lived).

My dad's side of the family has a tradition of going by middle names. My dad and one of his brothers both go by shortened versions of their middle names (Jeff and Andy for Jeffrey and Andrew) as does my cousin (goes by her legal middle name). I'm just glad I don't have to go by mine (my mom's maiden name, which sounds like a common boy's name).

Josh ---- no change

John-David----John

Jana----- no change

Jill ------- no change

Jessa ----- no change

Jinger ------ Jewel

Joseph ---- no change

Josiah ------ Jarod---nickname Jay

Joy-Anna---- Joy

Jedediah ----- no change

Jeremiah ----- no change

Jason ----- no change

James ---- no change

Justin ----- Jeffrey nickname Jeff

Jackson ----- Jacob nickname Jack

Johannah ----- Jane

Jennifer ----- no change

Jordyn ---- Jordan

Josie ----Jocelyn nickname Josie

I actually really like both the names Joy-Anna and Johannah, but since they are way too similar (especially once Jana is thrown into the mix) I'd have to go with renaming either Joy or Hannie Julia Renee. Or Julie Grace, since the family seemed so partially-obsessed with that one. Jed and Jer don't bother me because they're twins, but I'd rename either Joseph or Josiah Jacob.

As far as the two youngest...while I really wish Josie had been Jocelyn or Josephine, but I really can't help but forgive them on that one...it must be hard having to name a kid knowing that the only place you may ever see the name used is on a gravestone and/or medical paperwork. Granted, Josie lived, but I can understand that, had she died and been legally Josephine, I can imagine the family looking at the grave or the paperwork and thinking "Josie, dang it. She was Josie." Jocelyn, not so much, but Jospehine I can see being more of a name to grow into.

If they were determined to do all J names, I actually think the boys' names are pretty nice. The girls' names are overall horrific.

Jana, Johanna, and Joy-Anna are all too similar. Jennifer is pretty dated. Jinger is a crime against naming. Jordyn-Grace is yuck. I can't even touch Jubilee.

I'd keep

Jana

Jill (possibly make it Jillian)

Jessa

Josie (maybe)

For the other 6, I would use

Julia/Juliet

Jacqeline

Jade

Julianna

Janine

Jeannette

I so love that you gave James the name Sawyer! Please tell me that was a LOST reference?

I love LOST! But no he just looks like a Sawyer to me. Almost gave him Zack though

Really, twin boys, Jeremy and Lewis? Try saying it out loud: Jeremy and Lewis, Jeremy Lewis, am I the only one who hears "Jerry Lee Lewis"?

Even Jimby and Michelle must know who that is, from before they went into hiding in fundyland.

I'm not sure who Jerry Lewis is actually. I'll look it up. Oh that guy. See I don't really listen to music. I've heard one of his songs in a movie before though

I never understood why they have a Joseph, Josiah, Johanna, and Josie but they never once used a Ju- name like June, Jude, Judson, Julia, Juliana, Julius, etc. And why Jana, Joy-Anna, and Johanna?

Poor JUstin. Everyone forgets about him. It makes sense that Jordyn is on his buddy team. One day the two of them will run away and no one in the family will notice until they're three states away, have found jobs and enrolled in community college and taken new identities. The Duggars will never find them, and after a few days won't care. They'll just use some of the billion grandchildren they will have by that point to inflate their numbers and no one else will ever notice two of the original 19 are missing. At least, I hope this happens :dance:

Why they didn't name Josie Josephine is beyond me as well. My nana was a Josie (named Josephine) but as time went on she just preferred Jo.

azombieatemyshoelace, your J- name choices are so pretty! It's a bummer that the fam went with essentially variations of the same couple names when there are so many names that fit the J theme and are still unique and interesting.

Thank you, and yes they did use a lot of names that were basically just variants. There are other ones they could have picked.

Nooo, you just took away the only two Duggar names that I actually like, :lol:

I never understood why Josie didn't get the full name, Josephine and how they managed to avoid Julie/Julia, wich would be such a trade up for most of the girls.

I actually do like the name Jessa, but I think it should be a nickname for Jessica.

So I decided to look up every kid and try to forget everything I know about them (which for some *cough* Josh *cough* was ridiculously hard) and figure out what their name would be based on their appearance.

Josh- Andrew

Jana- Katherine

John-David- Patrick

Jill- Jenny

Jessa-Courtney

Jinger- Sarah

Joseph- Harrison

Josiah-Trevor

Joy-Anna- Samantha

Jedidiah- Jacob

Jeremiah- Max

Jason- Henry

James- Sebastian

Justin- Elijah

Jackson- Noah

Johannh- Amelia

Jennifer- Isabella

Jordyn- Anna

Josie- Rebecca

...And why weren't any of the girls ever named Julie like Jim Bob wanted? That's way better than Jubilee.

I'm pretty sure Michelle flat out didn't like it. I remember when they were discussing Jordyn's name and she pulled this face that clearly said like hell.

She also emphasised that it was pretty much a fake vote and she and JB (but not really) got final say.

I probably wouldn't change any aside from Jinger. Poor kid.

I'm pretty sure Michelle flat out didn't like it. I remember when they were discussing Jordyn's name and she pulled this face that clearly said like hell.

She also emphasised that it was pretty much a fake vote and she and JB (but not really) got final say.

I probably wouldn't change any aside from Jinger. Poor kid.

If I were JB and I really wanted a name to be used (and thought there was a chance of another kid), I wouldn't have pushed to have it uses on a stillborn. I honestly don't mind them using Jubilee on her since she was a stillborn.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my list

Joshua stays the same

Jana becomes Vanessa

John David becomes David

Jill becomes Georgiana

Jessa becomes Dominique

Jinger becomes Juliana

Joseph stays the same

Josiah stays the same

Joyanna becomes Arden

Jedediah becomes Arthur

Jeremiah becomes Alistair

Jason becomes Alexander

James becomes Philip

Justin becomes Daniel

Jackson becomes Samuel

Johannah becomes Sunny

Jennifer become Bronwyn

Jordyn becomes Louisa

Josie becomes Veronica

Which boy is Damian?

Aaron Samuels?

Ben is Shane Oman. Josiah is Damian, since he's artsy. Derick is Karen's Cousin. Lawson Bates is Aaron Samuels.

And if I were somehow the mother of 19 kids (which would never happen ever, but let's play pretend), I'd go with...

Alexander James

Hannah Beth

Liam Ryan

Marion Lee

Adele Elizabeth

Anna Myfanwy

Benjamin Alfred

Andrew Jacob

Joy Alexandra

Theodore (Theo) David

Wesley Paul

Aaron Joseph

Julian Michael

Samuel Ronan

Henry Isaac

Elenie Abigail

Susannah Rose

Emma Irina

Sophie Amelia

Awww everyone forgets Justin exists.

I don't know if it's just me but Justin doesn't look as related to them? He's a cute kid, just looks like a cousin. Maybe it's the hair.

I would give Jennifer her second name Danielle as her first name because I think that this name fits her much better and is also much more beautiful.

Archived