IGNORED

The Art of Parentling

Ralar

My synagogue is offering a new course that starts tonight: The Art of Parenting. I think some of our favorite fundies could benefit from a course like this. It's got to be better than the training they get from the Pearls. Plus, it goes along with their love of everything Jewish (no pork, modest dress, etc.). I'm planning to attend the first class and see what it is like. Who knows, I may get some tips for parenting my young teen.

In The Art of Parenting, we scale the challenges that face us as parents and explore timeless insights from Jewish wisdom to instill values, foster independence, and ensure the long-term success and emotional well-being of our children.

PARENT, OR "PEER ANT"

Do you relate to your child as a friend, or as an influential personality whom they admire and respect? How do you instill a reverence for authority and at the same time reinforce their emotional security?

BE FIRM, OR FORGIVING?

If you're too forgiving, your child may lack direction. If you're too strict, they may look elsewhere for support in their time of need. In this lesson, you'll examine the pros and cons of a plethora of parenting models to find a balanced approach.

GRANT FREEDOM, RESPONSIBLY

You know that to raise an independent child you cannot be overprotective. But how do you protect them from acting irresponsibly? At what point must you let go and trust them to make their own choices?

CULTIVATE HEALTHY SELF-ESTEEM

Insecure children are bullied and bully others. How do you make sure that doesn't happen to your child? And what can you do to help them uncover their unique qualities and develop a confident self-image?

REWARD AND DISCIPLINE, EFFECTIVELY

Your child is acting up. What do you do? Praise and reproach are the carrot and stick of child rearing, but how do you respond when your kid just shuts down? How can you ensure that your words and actions communicate the right message and achieve the desired results?

IMPART A TOOLKIT FOR LIFE

The tools your child needs to succeed include a great education, strong values, and an identity they are proud of. What role does each parent play in providing these? And how can you help your child discover the joy in Judaism and a proud sense of Jewish identity?

Unlike the parenting classes our favorite fundies take, this course provides continuing education credit for mental health professionals. I'm not sure religion based courses should provide such credit, but maybe it shows some authenticity?

Accreditation

In joint sponsorship with the Washington School of Psychiatry (WSP)

Earn up to 15 CE credits from:

> The American Psychological Association (APA)

> The American Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)

> The California Board of Behavioral Sciences (CBBS)

and up to 15 CE credits from:

> The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)

Archived