IGNORED

Fasting with the Maxwells.

nomoxian

It wasn't easy, but I have completed the anti-fast. SquirrellySquirrel wins, natch, but we all have put in our collective efforts.

I have left off after my lasagna OD. Visited a friend (herbal tea, no sugar), then went to the potluck. Home-smoked brisket on buns, chips and salsa, my artichoke spinach dip, green salad with pomegranate vinaigrette, meat burritos (I did feel the difference), pot-stickers, and for dessert - home-churned ice cream that made me think I died and went to a non-Maxwell approved heaven, rhubarb crisp, mini cheesecakes and pigs-in-blankets and mini chicken tacos for the kids.

I have to get that ice cream churn. It's a large wooden bucket with a massive canister that makes a big batch of ice cream. My friend made it with real cream and fancy eggs and it was beyond wonderful, once we were able to kick away the kids scrambling for their share. As corny as it sounds, the company was even better than the food and spending time with people I truly like and choose to be with makes me incredibly grateful.

Thanks everyone for sharing your anti-fast journey today!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breakfast: bacon, eggs, and caramel macchiato with extra caramel.

Lunch: a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby, a few shots of Grandma's Apple Pie moonshine, and a hard apple cider to wash it down.

Dinner: Crockpot carnitas and chili-lime mashed sweet potatoes.

After dinner: Tea and more Russian teacakes than I can handle... oh, and a garlic venison sausage just because...

All of this while lying around watching trash tv and smoking many, many cigarettes.

Last night dinner consisted of lots of wine, freshly baked challah bread with hummus and guacamole, salad, pan fried ocean perch, homemade chicken soup with matzo balls, Rosemary balsamic Dijon roast chicken, garlic mashed cauliflower, basmati rice, fresh cut fruit salad, chocolate Rice Krispie squares and chocolate cake. Looong sleep in today. My religion never got the memo that gluttony was a sin.

This food seems suspiciously healthy.

(Delicious though, I love beans of all kinds. I'm weird)

I'm weird, too! It's not the ingredients that make it an anti-fast day-- it's the quantity. I am not a "two animal crackers on my birthday" person. I should add two more blood oranges to my total (because why stop at one?), plus a package of Korean roasted seaweed snacks with sesame, plus copious tea.

As we were buying oranges this morning, one of the citrus vendors asked, "So, what restaurant are you two with?" And I had to say yet again, "We're not with a restaurant. We just eat a lot." This happens every year. I've more or less stopped being embarrassed about it.

It wasn't easy, but I have completed the anti-fast. SquirrellySquirrel wins, natch, but we all have put in our collective efforts.

I have left off after my lasagna OD. Visited a friend (herbal tea, no sugar), then went to the potluck. Home-smoked brisket on buns, chips and salsa, my artichoke spinach dip, green salad with pomegranate vinaigrette, meat burritos (I did feel the difference), pot-stickers, and for dessert - home-churned ice cream that made me think I died and went to a non-Maxwell approved heaven, rhubarb crisp, mini cheesecakes and pigs-in-blankets and mini chicken tacos for the kids.

I have to get that ice cream churn. It's a large wooden bucket with a massive canister that makes a big batch of ice cream. My friend made it with real cream and fancy eggs and it was beyond wonderful, once we were able to kick away the kids scrambling for their share. As corny as it sounds, the company was even better than the food and spending time with people I truly like and choose to be with makes me incredibly grateful.

Thanks everyone for sharing your anti-fast journey today!

I have that ice cream maker. It's awesome but it's ridiculously expensive to make a batch. Especially if you use organic dairy. But even if you don't you need a large heavy cream, and milk, and whatever else. Plus the one recipe has you make stuff on the stove first then add ur. And you have to get that salt. It sure is tasty though. I made a mint chip and used peppermint extract and it was soooo good.

Hate to brag, but I may have won the unfast. We had to make a pharmacy stop on the way to meet friends so I could wash down a Plan B pill with my unfast-ing gluttonous meal. Does it even matter what I ate at that point? :lol: (I have to laugh or I'll cry at stupidity costing us $50)

We pigged out on loaded pizza at a local joint. It was faaaabulous. And for millionth time in my life I was thankful to be an evil heathen anti-Maxwell.

Just for future reference, they have a $10 off coupon on the Plan B website here - http://www.planbonestep.com/coupon.aspx

Just for future reference, they have a $10 off coupon on the Plan B website here - http://www.planbonestep.com/coupon.aspx

And you may be able to just ask your doctor for a prescription. When I got my first boyfriend and went to the doctor for birth control, she also ordered me Plan B "just in case". I still have it, and I think it's still good. Not that it really matters since I doubt I'll be having more sex with men. But anyway, I digress. If you may end up pregnant accidentally, I think it's great to have on hand.

I had no idea that yesterday was another anti-fast day, but thanks to an accidental freezer finding I made the previous evening, I made a pot of Vegan carrot/potato/red lentil soup. It's so yummy... far too much so to be Maxwell-approved, so take that, Steve.

Today I'm having another Vegan dish, chickpeas with my Mum's special pasta sauce (finely chopped zucchini and aubergine plus a handful of peas, besides the tomato sauce), and I'll most probably have Vegan icecream in the afternoon.

All things that would be frowned upon in the Maxwell household, no doubt as much for the Animal Rights angle as for the deliciousness angle.

Hywelis

OK, as promised, my family delivered a cheese pita to rehab. They also delivered a beet green and cheese pita, the promised donut thingies, and a blood orange, navel, and grapefruit section fruit salad dressed in citrus juices and chopped mint. Roasted red peppers with oil, vinegar, and crumbled feta acted as the official veggie salad, but we were all in it for more cheese.

Squirrelly has me beat with Plan B, but I did put in a respectable showing by having my nails done in Hooker Red while reclining in a hospital bed.

I feel a bit shamed to admit this. However I did fast, for at least part of the day and the remainder of the day I ate only foods like vegetables and lean protein (which admittedly fit the Maxwell goal of : no food shall be fun). In my defence, I did not do this to further the Maxwellian agenda but because I count calories and intermittently fast. In the interest of full disclosure I will add: I exercised in a skirt in my basement. Well, not a skirt per se but the frilly bottom of a 'modest' swim suit which I find surprisingly comfortable to exercise in and the basement is where my treadmill is.

I shall do penance for my semi-Maxwell act by wearing a surprisingly tiny pair of jeans I can now fit into. :lol:

And you may be able to just ask your doctor for a prescription. When I got my first boyfriend and went to the doctor for birth control, she also ordered me Plan B "just in case". I still have it, and I think it's still good. Not that it really matters since I doubt I'll be having more sex with men. But anyway, I digress. If you may end up pregnant accidentally, I think it's great to have on hand.

It expires, though. Most people take it so rarely it costs way more to have one on hand than to just cough up $50 once a decade.

Yesterday's anti-fast day:

Breakfast:

- Mexican mocha (coffee, hot cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne)

Second Breakfast:

- poached egg + shacha sauce

- navel orange

Elevensies:

- taquitos + siracha

- milk

Lunch:

- miso soup (w/tofu and seaweed)

- homemade sushi

- tuna and avocado rolls

- smelt roe nigiri

- shrimp nigiri

- tuna nigiri

- tuna sashimi

- shredded carrot and daikon salad

Afternoon Tea:

- prosciutto, chèvre, and basil crostini

- hard cider

Supper:

- Thai iced tea (w/lots of cream and sugar)

- shrimp-and-vegetable summer rolls (w/bean sprouts and shredded carrot, cucumber, and daikon) + peanut sauce

- Thai green curry (tilapia, fish tofu, eggplant)

- moscato

- cinnamon ice cream

post-11612-14451999876374_thumb.jpg

Wonder how their fast went. I fast once a year for Yum Kippur. It's hard & it's only once a year. They have done it twice in the last 3 months.

It's snowing in the UK so needed something hot inside me.

Breakfast: Three slices of French toast and four Irish sausages (with loads of vinegar)

Tea: Large battered haddock with chips from the chippie (loads of salt and vinegar).

Currently drinking my way through four cans of Carlsberg while listening to the Dropkick Murphys on YouTube (live on Lansdowne). It's their tour from 2010, and it brings back fond memories for me as I saw them in Birmingham that year when they came to the UK!

After my lagers, I'm going to have a white Crunch bar, packet of salt and vinegar Walkers crisps, can of Coke and a chocolate doughnut filled with caramel.

I think for our anti-fast i'll take the kids out for frosties :) Or maybe Sonic blasts. We don't have a Dairy Queen close enough to go for blizzards, which is kind of a good thing actually. lol

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
About Plan B -- Walmart has both brand name and generic over the counter in the feminine products/contraceptives section. I do try to keep the cheaper version on hand. It's less than the cost of a dangerous pregnancy (i've had one c-section and one v-bac) and prenatal care or the cost of another baby. As much as i love babies, i love my existing kids too much to go over my limits. Plus Plan B has to be taken within the first three days - and it will not harm an existing pregnancy. It's just a preventative that makes it so that the cells don't attach to the walls. I hate it but i just had to be honest with God that I have to do what i can because I know my limits. I really think God gives us intelligence for a reason. We're supposed to use that intelligence to be responsible. Pregnancy and recovery are very difficult for me. I take plan b when i am worried or it's bad timing, maybe once every six weeks or so because i don't trust my normal birth control pills to be unfailing. And my hubby isn't always interested in other kinds of prevention. I'm really looking forward to the relief of sterilization surgery! And eventually... spending the time and money that would have gone into more children -- or propping my health back up after pregnancy -- on fostering kids that need it, when our two are past the super-needy ages. I really do think God allows bad things to happen and He gives people more than they can handle sometimes if they don't prevent them. We have to be smart about our limits.

And Steve, if you read this - don't weep for cells that maybe would have been, praise God for women that can respectfully do what it takes to cope. Until you can get pregnant and bear a child, suckle a child, and emotionally give all to that child, don't judge those who are afraid of it happening to them and hurting their wellbeing or their family's wellbeing. It cheapens the precious treasure of children to say that they are easy because they are not. They're the most draining and physically exhausting thing a person can take on, if raised properly. Raised properly as in - fully supported by their parents even if the kids have different personalities than the parents. Forcing your kids to be clones of yourself and isolating your kids from anything you don't personally like might be "easy", Steve. But emotionally supporting a child through thick and thin even when their choices differ - that is real parenting. Saying no to too many children is saying yes to the ones you have already been given. It's saying yes to being able to help needy children in the foster care system, who are desperate for the help of responsible people -- caring people, who have extra to give because they were smart and didn't take on more than they could handle.

post-10046-14451999876678_thumb.jpg

Since it was game night last night, we took advantage (along with 300 other people) of Black Angus' coupon deal, 2 for 41$ which included 1 of any appetizer, a choice of any of 6 entree's (we took the prime rib....yummo) and any desert--- white chocolate bread pudding with butterscotch sauce. I had one of the best margarita's I've ever had, I could have done 2 but I didn't. I am so glad I called and made reservations for dinner though. People were waiting up to an hour without.

When we walked in the door, the kids instead of playing board games were doing Rock Band, and they were singing Crazy Train at the top of their lungs. 2 of the girls were singing while they were knitting, multi talented all of them.

Since we don't stay out there with the them, we watched a very weird Scarlett Johansson movie Under the Skin. I don't usually watch scary sci fi but it sucked you in and even at the end you're still wondering.....

Then like full babies we went to sleep with our dogs between us with smiles on our face.

A very successful and comfortable UNFAST :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I think for our anti-fast i'll take the kids out for frosties :) Or maybe Sonic blasts. We don't have a Dairy Queen close enough to go for blizzards, which is kind of a good thing actually. lol

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
About Plan B -- Walmart has both brand name and generic over the counter in the feminine products/contraceptives section. I do try to keep the cheaper version on hand. It's less than the cost of a dangerous pregnancy (i've had one c-section and one v-bac) and prenatal care or the cost of another baby. As much as i love babies, i love my existing kids too much to go over my limits. Plus Plan B has to be taken within the first three days - and it will not harm an existing pregnancy. It's just a preventative that makes it so that the cells don't attach to the walls. I hate it but i just had to be honest with God that I have to do what i can because I know my limits. I really think God gives us intelligence for a reason. We're supposed to use that intelligence to be responsible. Pregnancy and recovery are very difficult for me. I take plan b when i am worried or it's bad timing, maybe once every six weeks or so because i don't trust my normal birth control pills to be unfailing. And my hubby isn't always interested in other kinds of prevention. I'm really looking forward to the relief of sterilization surgery! And eventually... spending the time and money that would have gone into more children -- or propping my health back up after pregnancy -- on fostering kids that need it, when our two are past the super-needy ages. I really do think God allows bad things to happen and He gives people more than they can handle sometimes if they don't prevent them. We have to be smart about our limits.

And Steve, if you read this - don't weep for cells that maybe would have been, praise God for women that can respectfully do what it takes to cope. Until you can get pregnant and bear a child, suckle a child, and emotionally give all to that child, don't judge those who are afraid of it happening to them and hurting their wellbeing or their family's wellbeing. It cheapens the precious treasure of children to say that they are easy because they are not. They're the most draining and physically exhausting thing a person can take on, if raised properly. Raised properly as in - fully supported by their parents even if the kids have different personalities than the parents. Forcing your kids to be clones of yourself and isolating your kids from anything you don't personally like might be "easy", Steve. But emotionally supporting a child through thick and thin even when their choices differ - that is real parenting. Saying no to too many children is saying yes to the ones you have already been given. It's saying yes to being able to help needy children in the foster care system, who are desperate for the help of responsible people -- caring people, who have extra to give because they were smart and didn't take on more than they could handle.

[attachment=0]Capture.JPG[/attachment]

Make sure you get those seat belts securely in place.

teriyaki marinated beef over rice w/corn and green beans for dinner tonight...washed down with copious amounts of mountain dew. I don't eat much living alone...

Jamaican anti-fast accomplished! Well, at least partially—I ended up not having room for conch fritters after the mango chicken:

l.jpg

...and one of these here beef patties:

l.jpg

...and I only managed a bite of someone else's coconut sorbet, served in a coconut shell. But I did suck down two or three glasses of pineapple lemonade, all the while savoring more flavors in one evening than the Maxwells have in years, if ever, so: suck it, Steve!

Was the anti-fast today? Does this mean I dont have to feel guilty about my dinner of a burger with fries, buffalo wings, fried cheese curds, two beers, and two pepsi's?! Amen! Pass the M&M's!

I've been eating all day.

Breakfast:

Cheesy egg on toast with coffee.

Second breakfast:

A chocolate cupcake. More coffee.

Lunch:

A chicken broccoli panini thing.

A mandarin orange.

Afternoon:

Two pieces of homemade sponge cake, one of which was topped with whipped cream and strawberries.

Banana yogurt with chia seeds.

Supper-ish:

Grape tomatoes tossed with vinaigrette.

Perogies with bacon.

Chicken fingers.

Another orange got eaten at some point...

While watching shows:

Honey roasted peanuts.

Chocolate covered marshmallows.

Pre-bed snack:

Another egg on toast.

I started my anti-fast with an almost Maxwell morning and afternoon. Woke up,ran a 5K at the zoo, attended a birthday party for a polar bear, had lunch (tacos de lengua, with onions, cilantro, salsa, served on corn tortillas), and then cleaned for several hours, because we had invited people over. Once the "party" was underway, we, as a group of DINK adults, proceeded to drink homemade alcoholic beverages, play board games and enjoy time with each other and pets. I finally got someone to eat the rest of the month old christmas cookies, we ate pizza, and not once was a bible read.

Archived