IGNORED

Fasting with the Maxwells.

nomoxian

What does fasting mean to them? The difference between 1 been burrito and 2 animal crackers vs nothing?

And of course it was originally the "dads" idea, while mom just followed along with the wonderful idea.

I wonder if they even know about intersexed people let alone genderqueer or gender variant people... Sign up for men here, and for women there... But I guess if the parents were Godly enough, they would give birth to a child with "average" sized genitals.

Does anyone want to sign up for this trainwreck? Apparently "After signing up, an e-mail with details is sent."

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does fasting mean to them? The difference between 1 been burrito and 2 animal crackers vs nothing?

And of course it was originally the "dads" idea, while mom just followed along with the wonderful idea.

I wonder if they even know about intersexed people let alone genderqueer or gender variant people... Sign up for men here, and for women there... But I guess if the parents were Godly enough, they would give birth to a child with "average" sized genitals.

Does anyone want to sign up for this trainwreck? Apparently "After signing up, an e-mail with details is sent."

I doubt the concepts like intersex or genderqueer have ever penetrated Maxhell.

There are such sweet benefits of fasting.

Would some one PLEASE buy Poor Sarah a thesaurus for Christmas! Girlfriend needs to be introduced to some new adjectives.

This Monday, Nov. 17th, I think I shalt treat myself to a feast from Panera for dinner.And when the lady behind the counter asks if I would like a pastry for 99 cents. I will say Yes! Yes I do! All are welcome to join me in my non-fast on Monday 17th. Sign up in this thread if interested.

I'm confused. Don't people typically fast for something? Or to help receive a particular message from God? Why are they fasting?

I'm confused. Don't people typically fast for something? Or to help receive a particular message from God? Why are they fasting?

Because Steve said so.

Would some one PLEASE buy Poor Sarah a thesaurus for Christmas! Girlfriend needs to be introduced to some new adjectives.

This Monday, Nov. 17th, I think I shalt treat myself to a feast from Panera for dinner.And when the lady behind the counter asks if I would like a pastry for 99 cents. I will say Yes! Yes I do! All are welcome to join me in my non-fast on Monday 17th. Sign up in this thread if interested.

I'll join you in your Panera feast! Autumn squash soup, yum!

My first thought was that they are fasting and praying to find a spouse for Sarah. Then I realized that they are probably fasting so that they will have enough food for everyone, come Thanksgiving Day, without having to make an extra trip to the grocery store which is crawling with apostates this time of year. You know, they gave away so many of their Good Person million-dollar-bill tracts at the state fairs that they are probably tapped out for the year, limiting the end-of-year witnessing hell-sharing.

I doubt the concepts like intersex or genderqueer have ever penetrated Maxhell.

To be fair to the Maxwells, how many mainstream parents-to-be give much thought to the rare possibility that their child might be born with atypical genitalia? Older moms worry about Down syndrome. Everyone nowadays worries about autism (which isn't normally detected until the child is a toddler). I know a grandma who worried that her grandchild might be born with sickle cell anemia because it runs in their family. But unless something turns up on the ultrasound, most people just assume their baby will be either a girl or a boy. They also assume that the child will identify with his or her biological gender, because most people do.

As Catholics, we fast for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Never had anyone make a big deal about it or say much about it. You just do it if you are medically capable. I feel like the Maxwells see their fasting as showing how much they are willing to give up for God because they are the most pious group of people of all time.

This sounds like Stevehovah's latest attention-getting device - not a healthy one, as he has obvious and long-standing issues around food. Two animal crackers, skimpy portions, forbidden Pepsi for Teri, "light refreshments, for those who wanted them..."

And for his next "Seriously!" article? My money's on a marital celibacy contest.

On Monday I have a Dr's appointment in Reno and I'm meeting a friend for lunch at a vietnamese restaurant -- yum! I'd be pleased to count that as a part of your non-fast!

PS -- when I worked for a global hunger awareness organization we all used to fast on November 14th which was our annual "fast and donation day" where we encouraged people to fast (to think about how pervasive hunger is) and then to donate whatever they would have spent on food that day, to an organization working to end hunger. It wasn't the only time I ever fasted but it was an interesting and empowering practice.

I would sign up but you haven't specified if this is the women's thread or the men's thread.

Im in for the anti fast :)

They already get such boring, bland foods that I think I would die in Maxhell anyway, so whats the difference between tiny portions of bland food and no food at all.

I think Jesus had something to say about fasting:

Matthew 6:16-18King James Version (KJV)

16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

According to him,the Maxwells are doing it wrong.

Sounds like a 24 hr. fast. Hardly starving... Protestants don't typically fast but other Christians do, as do Hindus, Muslims, Buddhist monks and nuns, &Jews ( Yom Kippur).

Guess I don't understand the reason for the exaggerated(sp.) headline.

I'm down for the anti-fast. I likely won't go to Panera but I shall enjoy whatever lovely food my husband and I prepare for meals that day.

Sounds like a 24 hr. fast. Hardly starving... Protestants don't typically fast but other Christians do, as do Hindus, Muslims, Buddhist monks and nuns, &Jews ( Yom Kippur).

Guess I don't understand the reason for the exaggerated(sp.) headline.

Steve and Teri have a history of using food as a control mechanism with their family. When you read blog entries and Corners over time, you realize they used withholding food to punish the kids when they were not acting to robotic standards. They also devised a punishment of making the kids eat the ends of loaves of bread because they knew the kids did not like to eat those ends. My skins crawls every time a Maxwell mentions fasting because of their specific history of food as punishment, and I come from a tradition of Christianity where fasting is practiced.

Steve and Teri have a history of using food as a control mechanism with their family. When you read blog entries and Corners over time, you realize they used withholding food to punish the kids when they were not acting to robotic standards. They also devised a punishment of making the kids eat the ends of loaves of bread because they knew the kids did not like to eat those ends. My skins crawls every time a Maxwell mentions fasting because of their specific history of food as punishment, and I come from a tradition of Christianity where fasting is practiced.

i definitely think the parents have some disordered eating issues, which means they're forcing their kids into the same disordered eating. disgusting. :angry-banghead:

Control issues. Why does fundamentalism attract so many people who have control issues?

I like how Sarah says her guess as to how many men signed up was "blown out of the water," but she neglects to give us the actual number. She probably guessed 50, and it turned out to be 5 of something.

Yes, it can lead to asceticism and mental illness. The main fundie preacher at one week-long Bible school was so vehement about denying fleshly pleasures that a lot of the kids would fast the week, even refusing the juice the leaders tried to get kids to drink. And some would faint in choir practice. It got so bad that i even started believing that true Christians never ate or slept, but sustained themselves on Bible reading and prayer. Not healthy. I don't know how the Maxwell kids stay sane.

Archived